As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AG Jeff Sessions has resigned at President Trumps request, announced via twitter.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Isn't this the second time something like this has happened? It's coming over very deja vu

Time gets funny as the planet falls into the black hole

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    It means “shouldn’t have been able to” but it appears like everyone is either pretending he can or is ignorant of the actual rules on the matter.

I think everyone is assuming Trump will just do it anyway and no one will stop him.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Laws only apply when someone is enforcing them.

Yes Trump might legally not have a leg to stand on doing this, but the people responsible in stopping him aren't exactly tripping over themselves to do it.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So.. Does everyone just ignore Whitaker then and treat Rosenstein as the acting AG?

What does "can't legally" mean here?

It looks like any illegally appointed official's actions have no force or effect under the FVRA of 1998

So basically if they do something, the government can be sued, and the result of that suit should be the nullification of any actions taken by the illegally appointed person.

So, let's say, the firing of Robert Mueller.

I'm gleaning this from an article written the last time Trump blatantly violated the FVRA

https://www.lawfareblog.com/acting-accordingly-acting-officers-and-federal-vacancies-reform-act

Which, rereading this, I'm entirely sure he is still doing.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Basically Whitaker has all the legal authority I, the real Attorney General, have.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    If Whitaker fires Mueller, Mueller sues the US Govt, wins, and is reappointed, then uses the firing of Sessions and Whitaker's firing of Mueller as evidence in the obstruction case?

I will die laughing

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Basically Whitaker has all the legal authority I, the real Attorney General, have.

I mean if everyone in the AG's office lets you set budgets and determine priorities.. I mean how do you retroactively nullify that?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is moving too fast.

Ok so Sessions is out and some donk named Whitaker is in. Whitaker is a shill. But... Whitaker can't actually do anything? I missed the part in between "he's in" and "something illegal happened so he can't do anything."

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ok so Sessions is out and some donk named Whitaker is in. Whitaker is a shill. But... Whitaker can't actually do anything? I missed the part in between "he's in" and "something illegal happened so he can't do anything."

It requires someone to enforce the law, so I wouldn't count on him being treated as illegal anyone soon.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

I don't think its 100% confirmed that Whitaker and Trump believe that.

People are SAYING that is the case, but who is going to make him follow the rules?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The short of it is the vacancies act would allow a non senate confirmed person to fill in if no other senate confirmed persons are available.

Rod Rosenstein is like... right there. So that’s breaking one part of it.

Also apparently this person has to be making the equivalent of a GS-15 salary which would be hilariously high for his position as Sessions chief of staff if he was actually making it.

I feel like the actual details of this are not going to get any media attention because it looks like Trump can’t legally skip over Rosenstein in this case.

GS-15 wouldn’t be abnormal for a government worker serving the U.S. AG directly.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

People are SAYING that is the case, but who is going to make him follow the rules?

But.. Who going to make Muller follow it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Xaviar wrote: »

I mean if everyone in the AG's office lets you set budgets and determine priorities.. I mean how do you retroactively nullify that?

You can't entirely obviously, but a court can tell them to fuck off or stop doing X enough that they won't be able to actually do much either.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So this move was apparently enough to trigger the call for protests for tomorrow, the 8th. Or so says the email I got from this thing:

https://www.trumpisnotabovethelaw.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response/search/

• Options

But.. Who going to make Muller follow it?

I don't know. But if he doesn't they'll argue it as reason he is out of control and should be shut down.

It's a catch 22 kind of thing. Dunno how it all resolves.

• Options
    edited November 2018

The thing that people are worried about is Mueller being fired or having his funding reduced to nothing.

I believe if either of those happen Mueller would have standing (as an aggrieved party) to bring a lawsuit against the US DOJ due to the fact that Whitaker's appointment was in violation of the FVRA

wazilla on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The short of it is the vacancies act would allow a non senate confirmed person to fill in if no other senate confirmed persons are available.

Also apparently this person has to be making the equivalent of a GS-15 salary which would be hilariously high for his position as Sessions chief of staff if he was actually making it.

I feel like the actual details of this are not going to get any media attention because it looks like Trump can’t legally skip over Rosenstein in this case.

GS-15 wouldn’t be abnormal for a government worker serving the U.S. AG directly.

Oh I thought it was higher than what a chief of staff would make. Either way, placing a GS015 non-confirmed person in the spot is only supposed to be done if no other senate confirmed persons are available, and there's a dude quite available.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Romney wants to run for Prez again if possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he can play the middle.

And one way or another Trump will be gone the next time he's up for reelection

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

The thing that people are worried about is Mueller being fired or having his funding reduced to nothing.

I believe if either of those happen Mueller would have standing (as an aggrieved party) to bring a lawsuit against the US DOJ due to the fact that Whitaker's appointment was in violation of the FVRA

And can that be appealed to the Supreme Court?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

With Trump stooges on the bench, sure.

Probably won't amount to much.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    ABC reporter:

I think Trump thinks the midterms proved he was good to go on this.

Because Trump.

• Options

Maybe, but so what? The Supreme Court has not started ignoring every law yet, just the ones they don't like.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    He's Borking the Department of Justice, but Nixon had more people with integrity that he had to massacre through.

• Options
    Here's Trumps warning shot

oqbv1iw5tl8g.png

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about that warning shot is:

"If they think they are going to waste money, we'll show we can waste even more money! Two can play that game!"

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

oqbv1iw5tl8g.png

The Senate can't investigate the House, though. All they could do is investigate individual members and groups, which they could always do anyway.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Oh I thought it was higher than what a chief of staff would make. Either way, placing a GS015 non-confirmed person in the spot is only supposed to be done if no other senate confirmed persons are available, and there's a dude quite available.

It would depend on whose chief of staff, but definitely safe to say anyone working directly for a presidential appointee is capping out on the payscale. DC also gets a little weird with people’s functional duties being incongruent with their official equivalent just because of the priority of some offices.

That said, yeah, it’s not just against the law, apparently, but really schmmy that someone still a GS-15 is replacing Sessions. If you’re on that pay table even at the highest levels you’re at most a policy advisor or person interpreting and executing the decisions of policy makers, not the person making the policy yourself.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    ABC reporter:

Because Trump.

He’s very likely shot himself in the foot. According to The Hill, if Mueller is fired before they take the House, the Democrats plan to call him in for a hearing to discuss his investigation and any findings in depth.

And televise it.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    ABC reporter:

Because Trump.

What part of the Dems taking the House and GOP making modest gains in the Senate -- just like everyone predicted -- proves anything?

Nevermind. I don't know why I still attempt to ascribe any kind of logic or reason to any of them.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I think it's weird that The Senate would be okay to accept that reasoning. We all know they're basically unwilling to move against Trump. I don't know that Trump bragging about how he controls them will actually work though. It's like he thinks they work for him and he's the CEO. Generally even shitty public servants are offended by that idea.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    ABC reporter:

Because Trump.

Well, Congress is in recess so Trump can use a recess appointment for Whitaker (if I'm getting it correct) and then use his bigger Senate majority full of Trumpians to ram AG Kobach though.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    ABC reporter:

Because Trump.

I mean, given that the Senate will never, ever lift a finger against him for at least the next two years, he wouldn't be wrong. If the senate were 50/50, he'd probably have to think twice, but now?

Even if Mueller's investigation weren't touched in the slightest, even if Sessions weren't out, he'd still be absolutely safe from any consequence. So I guess he might as well get his petty vindictive impulses out now, considering it's all clear after last night.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    All of his answers would just be "I can't answer that in an open setting."

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Can Mueller then legally ignore Whitaker?

That’s my question too.

If Whitaker cannot legally control Mueller’s investigation and Mueller ignores him to force the issue, what happens?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ABC reporter:

Because Trump.

Trump is nothing if not a cable news watcher. And the whole "Republicans did well last night" media narrative is out there.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

oqbv1iw5tl8g.png

Is uh... is the POTUS trying to basically take the country hostage here?

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

oqbv1iw5tl8g.png

Yep. If this isn't a confession there's something to all these allegations, I dunno what is. With as much smoke as is being kicked up, there's obviously fire there- in this case, it's evidence of Trump breaking the law. This, I imagine, is the first in a series of tantrums where he tries to treat the government like his own business and quash any resistance to him, because he's still thinking like a businessman- he always has. He thinks any attack on the government is a personal attack on him and his brand, and this is his attempt to seize complete power and hide everything behind a curtain.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options

oqbv1iw5tl8g.png

Is uh... is the POTUS trying to basically take the country hostage here?

Uh

The GOP has allowed that since his inauguration.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Will the rest of DOJ ignore Whitaker?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So. Do we need to make a new thread for the response to this? Not allowed to talk about in here but I think it’s important to coordinate and spread the word

616610-1.png
This discussion has been closed.