As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I like juustolepia

Damn good cheese that

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Oh I've had that stuff! Labeled Leipäjuusto at Wegmans tho. I think they sell Carr Valley's product?

Delicious!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Oh I've had that stuff! Labeled Leipäjuusto at Wegmans tho. I think they sell Carr Valley's product?

Delicious!

Yes!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think I baked a near perfect sourdough loaf. Just had some French toast from it and it was amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have my first incarnation of homemade corn nuts in the oven right now! I'm doing chili and seeing how that goes. Just, this "Chili 3000" pre-mix I got at Penzey's that's really delightful on asparagus. I'm hoping I don't burn them and the internet says I have to babysit them pretty hard for the second half of baking to ensure I do not.

I will be posting here, instead, and just hoping they don't burn.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    which nuts?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    41zHRP0uroL.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I still need a good cupcake recipe.

Trust me, a good cake recipe is a good cupcake recipe. Find one and you’ve found the other.

This sounds like something a wise man you meet after wandering in the desert would say

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    I still need a good cupcake recipe.

Trust me, a good cake recipe is a good cupcake recipe. Find one and you’ve found the other.

This sounds like something a wise man you meet after wandering in the dessert would say

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to stop thinking about savoury oats since Erin mentioned them, so had some for lunch today. With chorizo, cheese, onion, pak choi and a fried egg. It was pretty great.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Haven't been able to stop thinking about savoury oats since Erin mentioned them, so had some for lunch today. With chorizo, cheese, onion, pak choi and a fried egg. It was pretty great.

They were a revelation for us and I am glad you enjoyed them! They work with either flavor profile so well

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ...I should buy halloumi.

Is that the one that's solid enough to fry up?
    There's a small family owned Lebanese place that did some sort of olive oil fried cheese and it was INCREDIBLE

It's one of them and yes halloumi is pretty great

• Options
    I made damn good chorizo. 8 links and about a pound of loose chorizo that I'll use for omelets or sausage gravy or something

0z03cdh0f4g1.jpg

I am also getting a bit better at linking!

Not sure what I'll make next

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'd say you should start a youtube channel about making your delicious sausages, but I have it on very good authority that nobody wants to see that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'd say you should start a youtube channel about making your delicious sausages, but I have it on very good authority that nobody wants to see that.

Thank goodness!

No one needs to see how uncharismatic I am in real life

Though it would be hilarious to read the comments

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I make a DELICIOUS stir fry, goddamn.

Homemade soy orange ginger toasted-sesame glaze! Shrimp, broc, yellow squash, cremini mushrooms, hella fresh ginger and fresh garlic. Topped with sesame seeds. Too bad I completely forgot to add the water chestnuts and baby corn I had in the pantry, hah

Also could've added green onions too, dangit

Next time!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sometimes I just come into the cooking thread and get real hungry

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    My 8yo and I were watching a netflix show about cooking in Egypt and he saw them making bread. He decided on the spot that he wanted to make bread as well.

Ok, we can get you interested in cooking at age 8!

The only thing I did was pour the yeast and salt while he held the spoons. Everything else was all him.

3bt0c89eewjo.jpg

m3aqhhclo1mz.jpg

b38zpb4refol.jpg

nqdfsjp1cbhi.jpg

I'll update tomorrow evening after it proofs!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So cute!

I can't wait to see him react after baking it!

• Options
    Same here!

He's always enjoyed the idea of cooking and has a love for things most 8 year olds do not (he is the only 8yo I've ever heard that specifically requests sardines in water in the gold tin), but this will be the first thing he's ever cooked by himself

• Options
    I think the first thing I ever learned to cook was an egg. I have known people in their 20s that cannot cook rice and it makes my brain hurt so badly.

• Options
    I honestly don't recall what the first thing I learned to cook was

Probably fried eggs or a tuna melt

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Sugar cookies!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    For me it was mince pies

8 year old V1m liked him some mince pies

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My first cooked thing was French toast, because it was one of my favorite things ever

Still is

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Not sure if scrambled eggs or grilled cheese were first, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those.
    Pretty sure the first cookie I learned to cook was a Forget Me Not cookie. Basically a meringue with chocolate chips mixed in. Tasty cookies, easy to make too.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I think the first thing I ever learned to cook was an egg. I have known people in their 20s that cannot cook rice and it makes my brain hurt so badly.

I taught a guy to fry an egg at the place where I last worked. He was 21.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    V1m wrote: »
    For me it was mince pies

8 year old V1m liked him some mince pies

I loved the run-up to Christmas because it meant we got to go to Grandma's and make mince pies / jam tarts. The absolute best thing was eating them as they came out the oven and the jam / mincemeat filling burned the roof of your mouth but you got that gooey goodness.

Then they'd be packaged up into boxes and sent home with us and inevitably only about half would be eaten over Christmas as we always made too many

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I know people in their 30s I don't trust to boil water

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I know people in their 30s I don't trust to boil water

My kiddos occasionally get the urge to cook, so I try and support that. Could be something as simple as reading a recipe to make cookies, or showing them how to make grilled cheese, or scrambled eggs. It's all a gradual learning process.

I only got to love cooking as much as I do because I was a very lucky little kid. My abuelita used to let me help in the kitchen so I learned how to make tortillas and some bitchin stews, and those big honkin tamales that get wrapped in banana leaves and all that. I'm trying to pass that love of cooking on and it's hard but worthy.

Cooking is such a good way to pass on culture and memory and stories.

Anyway I'm getting all wistful. Ignore me

• Options
    I made some hella good cold brew coffee last night.

These giant filter bags help a ton to make the process easier and I only used folgers cause it is cheap and easy to buy in bulk.

I think this will help me quit soda and stuff too since coffee is low cal and high caffeine and it's super easy to make a huge batch that'll last a while this way.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Uriel what sort of kit are you using? I love cold brew

• Options
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Nice, thank you

I was gifted a KitchenAid cold brew jar set, it has a mesh brew basket. I want to try using it some sort of bag inside the basket, as I am getting sludge.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I found affordable duck breast for the first time since I moved to the States.

jclu7xj3wuxe.jpg

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    Brussel sprouts?Yum. That bread looks really good too.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

jclu7xj3wuxe.jpg

Honestly, this is the part of living in or near Boston/Cambridge that I really don't like. You go two hours west in the state and there are so many awesome butchers and charcutiers with locally sourced high quality meat at good prices. Out here? Much harder to find. Bums me out.

• Options

jclu7xj3wuxe.jpg

Tynic, I want to one day be in the same location as you so we can have some kind of food party and eat until we pass out

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Come to my house, I'll make you home-ground burgers with bacon mixed into the burger meat and you can sleep in a pile with my dogs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Come to my house, I'll make you home-ground burgers with bacon mixed into the burger meat and you can sleep in a pile with my dogs.

how many dogs we talkin

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.