As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What do you think I made the sausage out of!
    V1m wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I SUCK at linking sausage

The pictorial evidence contradicts this assertion

There were supposed to be 10 links =(

Also not shown is a picture of my first attempt where they're all different sizes as well as two batches of loose sausage because one batch I broke the casing and the other batch I didn't even bother with

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Can you spatchcock a duck? I can't imagine why not.

Also I believe adding some baking soda to a glaze can help add some crispiness yo the final product, but you may need to balance the taste out with something.

I typically don't add it to the glaze, that would mess up the flavors. Instead, I typically add it to the brine, if I'm brining, or just mix baking soda and salt, rub the mixture onto the skin, and throw it in the fridge. It works great when I want super crispy chicken wings without having to worry about deep fat frying.

EDIT: I did not invent this, I learned it from J Kenji Lopez-Alt

Javen on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    After a roughly year and a half hiatus, I have decided to restart a sourdough culture. I'm actually a little surprised at how quickly it got to what looks like a fairly mature and stable starter, considering how much cooler and drier the house is in the winter. I'm going to try to bake a loaf tomorrow and see how it actually fares but before I do that, I need to name my starter. Cooking thread, please help me out with a clever name!

• Options
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    After a roughly year and a half hiatus, I have decided to restart a sourdough culture. I'm actually a little surprised at how quickly it got to what looks like a fairly mature and stable starter, considering how much cooler and drier the house is in the winter. I'm going to try to bake a loaf tomorrow and see how it actually fares but before I do that, I need to name my starter. Cooking thread, please help me out with a clever name!

Mother Grain.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Drellazom, Hunger Between Worlds

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Dough-din, the Allfather

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Flour power.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Doughris Day.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got a copy of Salt Fat Acid Heat for my birthday

it's a neat cookbook, the kind that actually teaches you how to cook rather than just giving a list of recipes

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That book sounds great. I'd be curious to know what you think of it when you've read it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The series on Netflix was pretty good

• Options
    yeah Samin is really charming and the food they made all looked great

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I loved that olive farm built into the cliffs with all the netting so they just shake the trees and knock the olives down the hills. Such a good idea

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm like 5 pages late here but

@tynic I want your loaf.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Problem: all our bananas were going brown

Solution:

m92isgo9jszl.jpg

Edit: I was going to take these into college tomorrow to share with my coursemates, but having now tasted one I think I'll instead be funneling them into my mouth and denying ever having made them.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What do I do with too many carrots

I don't have the hardware to make a carrot cake

• Options

split them, glaze them in honey and a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar, toss them in a bit of ground black pepper and sea salt, and roast them

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Could I just mix the honey and vinegar in a bowl with the salt and pepper, and throw the carrots around in that bowl?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    sure =)

edit: might want to add a bit of olive oil too

Xaquin on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Problem: all our bananas were going brown

Solution:

m92isgo9jszl.jpg

Edit: I was going to take these into college tomorrow to share with my coursemates, but having now tasted one I think I'll instead be funneling them into my mouth and denying ever having made them.

A good choice followed by a great choice.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

split them, glaze them in honey and a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar, toss them in a bit of ground black pepper and sea salt, and roast them

And some cumin seeds!

• Options
    I am definitely going to have to take these to college tomorrow because I'm alone in the house until Sunday and will absolutely eat the lot myself if I don't. I've already had 4 and a half.

• Options
    Sing, O Muse, of the anger of Achilles V1m...

Webfriends, let me tell you a story of revenge and spite.

Cast your minds back to a bygone time, an older time, an age when it was a week ago Wednesday. The team I work with had our team buffet that golden morning, and everyone agreed to bring something. Many just nipped down to the supermarket and bought a couple of packs of mince pies or whatever, but a few, some, decided to do a little more.

And so it came to pass that one previously unremarked or much noticed, V1m of the city of Edinburgh, offered to make "christmassy pigs in blankets". And this oath was made in the presence of all, and it came to pass that this oath was kept and honoured in the presence of all.

V1m spared no expense; he bought Hampshire Sweet Dry Cure streaky bacon; he bought the good cumberland chipolatas. He laboured late into the night (seriously, I didn't get done until about 9PM) gently twisting each chipolata into two smaller sangers, hardly bursting any of them.

Then did he get his mortar and pestle and grind up a mix of black pepper, caraway, fennel, cinnamon and a couple of cloves (taking it easy on the cloves because they're a really dominating flavour).

Then did he rub that mix on the bacon, yea that very bacon whereof each slice was cut in half and after being spiced, wrapped around those little sos.

Then was 1/4 jar of marmalade - the good kind, Coopers Thick Cut - melted with 1/2 tsp of dried ginger and 2 tsp of dark demarera sugar.

Generously were the sacred swine coated with that sticky stuff that somehow got everywhere.

And they were roasted at 180C for about 20 minutes or, and a second baste of the marmalade was applied at about the 15 minute mark.

And so V1m fulfilled his oath to the team.

And before the sight of Gods and Men, he was betrayed, because those rotten jerks waited until I was on a call before starting the buffet and those greedy leechs ate every last goddamb pig before I could say so much as "hey can you save me one?". And not one "sorry" or even a "did you have one?" was heard.

So today - right now, in fact - I am making tandoori chicken wings (yes, I marinaded them overnight) and masala potatoes, which I will brush with the garlic-and-coriander butter that's already melted, then a good shake of Maldon sea salt, then I will wrap that all up in this ginormous garlic naan bread I have procured, then all that in about 5 layers of foil, then I'm taking the lot into work and I'm going to eat every last damb wing myself.

Then I'm on holiday until 2nd Jan so fuck 'em.

• Options
    Took those banana cake things into college and they were obliterated. It's weird how proud I can feel of compliments about food I made when all I did was follow someone else's recipe.

Might make some more to take to family Christmas, because All The Food in The World still isn't enough food.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You made the food, it's good, you get the credit. It's not weird at all, it's actually totally fair and appropriate!

• Options
    Took those banana cake things into college and they were obliterated. It's weird how proud I can feel of compliments about food I made when all I did was follow someone else's recipe.

Might make some more to take to family Christmas, because All The Food in The World still isn't enough food.

I mean, recipes are actually pretty barebones. You can make a lot of mistakes along the way and end up with terrible food. You should be proud!

By way of analogy, building your own house is still cool even though you probably didn't invent any of the techniques used and followed a blueprint.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    My parents sent me four filets and a prime rib roast from omaha steaks for my birthday

What do, cooking thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    THANKS NIC

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Hang them as bait to catch even bigger predators to collect meat from!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

But it's is usually the herbivores that are "meaty"

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

But it's is usually the herbivores that are "meaty"

Listen I'm trying to make some kind of meat-based pyramid scheme, we can work out the minutiae later.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    My parents sent me four filets and a prime rib roast from omaha steaks for my birthday

What do, cooking thread

Apparently the "reverse sear" is all the rage now.
    Season steak on both sides with the salt and place on a rack set inside a sheet pan.

Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours and as many as 24.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Insert a remote style probe thermometer horizontally through the side of the steak and roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 120 degrees F, about an hour. Remove steak from oven and rest, uncovered, 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a 12-inch cast iron pan over high heat at least 10 minutes or until it reaches 600 degrees F. (If you don't have an infrared thermometer you'll know you're close when a half teaspoon water dropped into the middle of the pan is completely evaporated in 5 seconds.)

Brush a very light coat of peanut oil onto both sides of the steak.

Sear steak on each side for 45 seconds. Use a stopwatch!

Rest steak on a rack for 5 minutes and then slice diagonally against the grain to serve.
    https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/reverse-sear-ribeye-steak-5458694

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah if you don't have a sous vide setup, reverse sear is probably the best way to handle steaks. I've done it quite a few times and it makes a damn good steak. I will point out that moderating the searing pan's temperature based on how much char you like is important. I like about zero char whatsoever so ripping hot isn't the best choice, though I am in the minority on that I feel.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Today is pizza day.

Dough has been in the fridge for a little over 50 hours slow fermenting.

The hour will soon be at hand. Hopefully I can get these electric ovens up to a good 500 degrees for pizza baking. The pizza stone will help. As will the dollar store pizza pans I have just bought.

I got the good boars head pepperoni too. Though I might grab some generic Hormel presliced ones too later. I hope I have enough sauce and cheese.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    What is 'diagonally against the grain'? Isn't that the same is diagonally with the grain?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    How mamy oz of cheese per 12 inch pizza y'all think will be good? I think I have 24 Oz right now

This discussion has been closed.