As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    what the fuck is "company"

It's a musical comedy by Stephen Sondheim

Tynnan on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I made a garlic-basil pesto pasta salad with corn, chickpeas and tofu and it's pretty dang good cold or hot! I pan seared the corn, peas and tofu first with a bunch of cumin, sea salt and pepper and then mixed in the pasta shells and pesto sauce.

Vvv health.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Invited to my sister's where they'll be making a curry dinner-- what should I make as side(s)? I definitely would like to make at least some sort of breadish thing, so

Roti? Naan? (I don't have a tawa, and my experience with either is limited to a very short lesson on naan at my friend's place nearly half a decade ago)

And... dhal? Some sort of raita? Samosas may be a bit overkill

Raita is good, and very easy

Fresh chutney is also good (chopped cooking apple, onion, chillies, coriander, mint, tomato and a splash of cider or white wine vinegar)

Roti... you really want to make fresh

Biriyani is also good, and is very amendable to being kept warm after cooking.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to make some naan to eat my leftovers from the other night.

But I don't have a pizza peel to cook some directly on my pizza stone anymore.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can make naan with a cast iron pan, if you have one.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Oh yeah

That does sound easier

Now to look for a good recipe that doesn't make a ton of servings

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Why would you not want a ton of naan I don't understand

Juggernut on
  • Options
    I only have a little bit of leftover curry

• Options
    But then you can just eat the delicious naan???

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Uriel wrote: »

Then you make more

Edit: or you makes a breakfast naanwich in the morning

V1m on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My sausage has been linked and half of it is currently smoking =)

is78rjrx6l44.jpg

jgki4nu3bamh.jpg

The venison and boerewors (which I don't know how to pronounce) are amazing

The black trumpet sausage doesn't get smoked as it's a very delicate flavor.

The linguica is so so. Definitely not my favorite but not bad either. I think I underseasoned it

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I made pot roast. Fuck Pot Roast is good.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Then you make more

Edit: or you makes a breakfast naanwich in the morning

One of my favourite sandwiches near me is a piece of naan sliced open like a pita, filled with pesto chicken, fresh cheese curds, and spicy-dressed lettuce tomato and onion.

I think I need to get one of these tonight.

• Options
    It occurs to me that I smoke enough meat that it would be beneficial to build a smoke house. A good project for next summer!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We were hosting the holiday party for my wife's unit at work this past weekend, with a lot of people expected to show up, so I decided it was time to dip into large batch cocktails/boozy punches for the first time since college. After looking around online, I settled on a couple that sounded like they'd be nice flavor combos and also had easy but nice looking presentation suggestions. Both were a bit more work than just throwing booze and mixers into a bowl and calling it a day, but I think they were worth it. Especially the "Jingle Juice." I'm a little upset that I was so busy that I never took pictures though, they were actually very nice looking.

https://people.com/food/michael-schulson-double-knot-bourbon-apple-punch-holiday-cocktail-recipe/
    I made the dried apple chips myself and discovered that I am not great at slicing apples thinly enough to make good chips. If I were doing this again I'd either go store-bought chips or use a mandoline for the slicing. The apple-cinnamon simple syrup was delicious, but the end result on a double batch of the punch was a little sweeter than I would have liked, so I would scale it back by about 20-25% or just not use all of the syrup next time and mix in a bit at a time until happy with the results. Really nice flavor though, and I drank a few glasses over the course of the night. Used Four Roses for the bourbon.

https://bakedbree.com/jingle-juice-spice-up-your-holidays-week-3

For as much as I hate the name, this looked and tasted amazing. There is a crazy amount of booze in there - a full bottle of spiced rum and about half a bottle each of Grand Marnier and amaretto - but it was absurdly drinkable thanks to all of the fresh squeezed fruit juice and the citrus sugar you need to make ahead of time. You would never guess how strong it was, to the point that I was a little worried since it turned out to be the most consumed drink out of everything at the party. I followed the tips and made an ice mold with lemon and lime slices and cranberries frozen inside of it, in a bundt cake mold. It looked great and got people talking about it, and the ice actually lasted longer than the punch did so things ended getting way less watered down than ice cubes would have. Frozen cranberries as a garnish probably helped a bit too, and all of the citrus fruit slices also looked nice while giving a little extra flavor. I'm racking my brain trying to think of how/when I could get enough people together to make it worthwhile to make this stuff again - it was honestly the best boozy punch I've ever had.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

I think you're supposed to eat it, but you do you :biggrin:

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It occurs to me that I smoke enough meat that it would be beneficial to build a smoke house. A good project for next summer!

At least you're smoking meat instead of drugs.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    have you tried my potted meat?
    It's filled with heroin!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Oh man there's nothing like freebasing a smoked pork butt.

• Options
    Everything but the oink

straight into your veins

• Options
    For real, Potted ham is pretty amazing though. One of those old-school recipes that you eat it and wonder why the hell this isn't still a thing?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I make ours with boneless country style beef ribs and it's awesome

There's quite a few diy set ups you can find online. Alton brown uses a cardboard box, and I feel like I've seen one made out of terracotta pots

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

I make ours with boneless country style beef ribs and it's awesome

There's quite a few diy set ups you can find online. Alton brown uses a cardboard box, and I feel like I've seen one made out of terracotta pots

I'm thinking a 36" x 36" x 8' high wood shed on blocks with a separate chamber for the fire

I love my current smoker, but so many people want sausages that it would be way easier if I could do one big batch.

I'll probably do it next fall since I already have a few other projects to finish

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so I threw together a quick vinaigrette last week to put on my lunchtime salads. equal parts balsamic and apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a bit of honey and maple syrup for sweetness, and then I did something I hadn't done before and added a minced shallot as well.

The result was delicious, but more importantly, the little bits of pickled shallot left over at the end of my salads are absolutely incredible, to the point that I think I'm going to make it again as a double batch, and use half of it to just make pickled shallots as like, a sandwich or taco topping or something.

• Options
    I made a smoked turkey sandwich once with pickled shallots and pickled apple slices

A+

• Options
    Huh. Couscous with smoked paprika, cumin, and pecorino is pretty good.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    My local friends and I had a Christmas party/potluck last night! The food was all great but I was particularly happy with the two things I brought.

The first was brie-stuffed pretzels, the dough of which I prepared in advance and we made them right before dinner at my friend's place:

The second was a black forest cake in the shape of a Yule log that I spent four hours on. I had to deviate from the recipe because I couldn't find cherries in syrup and didn't want to resort to pie filling, so I bought frozen cherries and cooked them with sugar, corn starch, kirsch and lemon juice. Next time I'm going to add more water so I'll have more syrup to pour into the cake itself - it's very dense and a little dry otherwise, though still fantastic.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Really nice job decorating that cake, it looks great!

• Options
    I want those pretzels

.... and that cake.

I'm making finger sandwiches for christmas lunch/dinner

Egg Salad
    Cucumber
    Turkey Salad

and the last I'm really excited for:

Smoked Turkey, Bacon, Mango sliced really thin, smoked Gouda, arugula, on a roasted red pepper aioli

gonna be good I wager

• Options
    I am definitely going to make more pretzels in the future

Turns out right out of the oven they are really good

Steam
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Today I made forgotten cookies and then some lemon curd to use up the egg yolks. They came out quite well for first tries! super kinda proud of me!

• Options
    I brined and smoked a turkey breast

it is divine

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

What was your recipe? They looked amazing and i definitely want to try them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

What was your recipe? They looked amazing and i definitely want to try them.

There's a link under the picture in the spoiler tag - they were surprisingly easy and quick to work up aside from the rise time!

Steam
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Lazy Sundays are for slow cooker recipes. This morning I went to the grocery and prepped the ingredients for a jambalaya. It was done right on time for dinner:

3YOSaww.jpg?1

It's going to be a delicious week for leftovers

xet8c.gif

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    We made our own Bloody Mary mix tonight. V-8 juice, pickle juice, pickled jalapeño juice, some black pepper, pickled garlic, onion powder, minced pickled jalapeños, Tabasco, lime juice, horseradish, salt, a little sugar. Promptly made micheladas. Life is good.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I did a Summer Chumnas the other day with friends, and my contribution is usually a pavlova with a surprise flavour.
    I’ve done matcha, and orange blossom before, and this year’s was lavender!

4757rbym1t1f.jpeg

I had also planned to make eggnog, but it is a bit rich to have in summertime, so instead I made an eggnog spiced almond and toasted rice horchata with a splash of Mezcal and some nutmeg freshly grated on top.

I was very happy with how it turned out, although I have to think about how to use up the large amount of almond and rice pulp leftover from the process. Maybe a pudding?

• Options
    Guys I'm addicted to this Indian telicherry pepper I initially bought for my Thanksgiving turkey. I picked up a 4 ounce bottle of it and have used 3 ounces in a month. I've put it in everything I've cooked, every day.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I've started baking bread and feel like I need to get a book on it to learn about why various recipes call for different techniques, I hate just following a recipe and not understanding why I'm doing what I'm doing.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    This book right here will answer all of that for you
    image-asset.jpeg?format=750w
    It doesn't really get into the nitty gritty of the science behind it, but it goes an awful lot into experiential data.

Pinfeldorf on
This discussion has been closed.