As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I was sold at "and pizza"

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    The Handmade Loaf by Dan Lepard is also really useful!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    Jeffrey Hamelman's BREAD is also supposed to be good, and definitely talks about the science a bit.

tynic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I was sold at "and pizza"

I recommend the book I got for Secret Satans: Flour Water Salt Yeast its been a great read

• Options
    the ... one right above that post?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Jeffrey Hamelman's BREAD is also supposed to be good, and definitely talks about the science a bit.

It is very good.

Take his recipe for Irish soda bread. He gets into which ingredients simply aren't replicable for many readers - things like not having access to the type of flour they use in Ireland, and only having lowfat buttermilk available in many areas. And he offers good, easily made adjustments or substitutions, like replacing 20% of your lowfat buttermilk with sour cream or high fat yogurt and talks about what that does for the final product.

I haven't made nearly as much from it as I would like, but I've been very happy with every recipe I have used from that book. The only small negative note that I'd offer is that the recipes tend to be written more for professionals and so often times have rather ridiculous yields (as listed will make 5-10 loaves of something, perhaps) so you'll need to do a little math to reduce many of them to more practical amounts for home baking. As long as you're comfortable with that, it's a fabulous resource.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    the ... one right above that post?

I hadn't refreshed the thread yet. But yes.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I want to make 10loaves of bread at once and just hand them out to people in my building.

Edit: This would actually be really fun.

“There goes the foreigner in our building who always makes too much bread.

It’s actually really annoying but we’re too polite to ask him to stop.”

sarukun on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I bought a sous vide cooker as a Christmas present to myself and it was delivered today. I went with one of the slow-cooker-esque ones vs a wand, since I don't plan on needing it to ever cook for more than 2 or 3 people and I like that it's all self-contained.

Breaking it in with some Greek seasoned chicken breasts, and I've got a rib eye steak for tomorrow night.

jgeis on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm going to make, like, absurd quantities of bread once I move and have my nice open kitchen plan.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I made some things! Cassoulet, kale au gratin, duck fat potato gallete and an apple upside down cake. I had seven people over and there’s still like five pounds of cassoulet left! I’m fucked!
    oqhqu56wkv06.jpeg
    e9oz309eoq4x.jpeg
    wa1p17w70wn4.jpeg
    pqja8wfe0g5m.jpeg

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I will never cook white-meat chicken any other way again, this sous vide chicken breast is so perfectly tender and juicy, it's like a miracle.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We always do something fun and slightly extravagant for Christmas Eve and this year we're roasting a whole duck. I've looked up some stuff and it looks like roasting anything else, except maybe needing to remove some fat mid cooking. We'll see!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've started baking bread and feel like I need to get a book on it to learn about why various recipes call for different techniques, I hate just following a recipe and not understanding why I'm doing what I'm doing.

If you're interested in the science and pedantry/nerdiness of a thing in cooking, Alton Brown and Good Eats are a pretty solid go-to. He can definitely be a bit of a jerk/pedant, but he does a pretty good job of explaining the science. Once you know that part, basic recipes suddenly make a lot more sense and become a bit more flexible.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    We always do something fun and slightly extravagant for Christmas Eve and this year we're roasting a whole duck. I've looked up some stuff and it looks like roasting anything else, except maybe needing to remove some fat mid cooking. We'll see!

Stuff your duck cavity with oranges. Like just cut a few oranges into quarters and stuff as many of those orange quarters into the duck as you can. This isn't for the duck, it's so that you have roasted duck-fat basted orange quarters to gnaw on afterwards.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Oh, all the bread talk reminds me I bought a rye flour from a local farm at the farmers market a few weeks back

Anyone have a recipe for it?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I made my own pasta for the first time tonight. It went really well, and I’m very glad I asked for a pasta roller for Christmas.

I was also given a copy of Salt Fat Acid Heat. It’s a really neat book that already taught me a thing or two about salt.

Enlong on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I want to make 10loaves of bread at once and just hand them out to people in my building.

Edit: This would actually be really fun.

“There goes the foreigner in our building who always makes too much bread.

It’s actually really annoying but we’re too polite to ask him to stop.”

We have a community food cart here, just s little cart they folks can put pantry staples and other goodies in for free to anybody in the neighborhood.

There's one family that does lots of baking and they'll put loaves of bread and rolls in almost every day.

Maybe you could do that?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That would be really neat. I’d have to do some research on rules and such.

I suppose I could just also set up a table at the local traditional marketplace near my hours, but I don’t imagine I have the time or means to bake that much bread in one sitting.

Fun to dream, I guess.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    I've started baking bread and feel like I need to get a book on it to learn about why various recipes call for different techniques, I hate just following a recipe and not understanding why I'm doing what I'm doing.

If you're interested in the science and pedantry/nerdiness of a thing in cooking, Alton Brown and Good Eats are a pretty solid go-to. He can definitely be a bit of a jerk/pedant, but he does a pretty good job of explaining the science. Once you know that part, basic recipes suddenly make a lot more sense and become a bit more flexible.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats/The Food Lab is really good for this too

A lot of the time he’ll pick a particular dish/recipe and document a bunch of technique experiments and their results, and then present a full recipe for the best one.

For example https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made chicken cordon bleu tonight:

vtbmM9W.jpg?1

Making this dish was an entire production, but when I have the time I enjoy these sorts of complicated recipes

xet8c.gif

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Bad: Accidentally ripped open the packet of coriander seeds rather wider than I realised, so they started falling everywhere when I tried to refill my jar of coriander seeds

Worse: While panicking and trying to stop the relentless flow of seeds everywhere I dropped the jar and subsequently the packet because of course.

Good: Couldn't avoid crunching large numbers of the bloody things, at least the kitchen smells nice now

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Images of V1m panicking, tipping over more and more things, flooding his kitchen with seeds and herbs in a farcical manner

• Options
    I don't eat enough apples because I usually find the prospect of a whole apple digestively intimidating

this has piqued my interest

y4j96sar6oc6.jpeg

• Options
    Images of V1m panicking, tipping over more and more things, flooding his kitchen with seeds and herbs in a farcical manner

I currently have a couple dozen jars filled with various suchlike seasonings. The scene is repeated at least a couple of times a year in re: initial spillages, but yeeting the jar across the countertop is a new touch.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I ordered a new bread knife, and now all my ads are for giant kitchen knives and cleavers. Apparently there is heavy overlap between people who want to cut a soft sandwich loaf and people who are going to war with a clan of ninjas in their kitchen.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I ordered a new bread knife, and now all my ads are for giant kitchen knives and cleavers. Apparently there is heavy overlap between people who want to cut a soft sandwich loaf and people who are going to war with a clan of ninjas in their kitchen.

At least you're ready to defend yourself against the Bread Ninjas.

They are made of bread, not out to steal your bread, in case that wasn't made clear.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, the thread is a bad influence

I impulse bought a bunch of bread supplies and Flour Water Salt Yeast, so that'll all be in today or tomorrow

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My parents gave me this weighty tome for Christmas, which is great because I would really like to learn to bake well (mmmm, bakewell). Not so good considering I really need to lose some kilos but what can you do.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    So I have some concentrated spearmint oil. I want to make spearmint bark out of it, but this shit is way stronger than anything the recipes online call for. I'm not kidding, this thing is in a glass vial inside a plastic jar inside a plastic bag and you can still smell it from about a foot away. This 2 ounce vial is supposedly a half acre crop harvest worth of spearmint leaves all concentrated. What do?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So I have some concentrated spearmint oil. I want to make spearmint bark out of it, but this shit is way stronger than anything the recipes online call for. I'm not kidding, this thing is in a glass vial inside a plastic jar inside a plastic bag and you can still smell it from about a foot away. This 2 ounce vial is supposedly a half acre crop harvest worth of spearmint leaves all concentrated. What do?

Get yourself a syringe, and substitute drops for teaspoons in recipes.

Too much mint can and will work as a laxative...

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Find a jurisdiction where they rare overreliant on werewolves to detect crimes, and pick a bank to rob

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Well, the thread is a bad influence

I impulse bought a bunch of bread supplies and Flour Water Salt Yeast, so that'll all be in today or tomorrow

That book is soooo good! I have a long weekend next weekend and I think I'm going to bake it up. I love their bacon sourdough recipe.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Presumably you'd dilute the fuck out of one drop of the oil before using it but I have no idea what sort of ratio you'd want.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I lightly grazed my finger while washing my new bread knife and decided to bleed for a while. Guess I'm unexpectedly prepared for the ninja onslaught even without the 20-inch kitchen machete my ads have been trying to upsell me on:

12btjzwurgw2.png

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My in-laws just gave me these sweet cast iron cornbread molds. Reddit has already identified that they are old lodge brand, and at least 50+ years old. I have them in my electrolysis tank right now so hopefully sometime this week I'll have photos of them all cleaned up and cooked in!

j3jbb52dm31l.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Oh, I see. It's a pone, or play on words.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So I bought a ton of couscous on discount which is why everything I'm cooking is couscous based.

Turns out, as long as you toast it and then add some chicken stock you can put whatever you want in it and its gonna be gooder 'n hell.

I am a lazy piece of culinary shit.

• Options
    Not much what's a couscous with you man?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'll couscous your face off

This discussion has been closed.