As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The sweet release to that giant food processor in the sky.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Process me, Food Jesus. I’m ready to fill that giant golden sausage casing in the sky.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Costco’s selling an Electrolux immersion blender with whisk and processor attachment for 100 bucks American that I want real fuckin’ bad, but I have to install some cabinets for our flat ware before I buy it or my girlfriend will fucking kill me.

Murderous girlfriends can often be placated with substantial offerings of baked foods, or at least slowed down.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I use my food processor for a few different things, but honestly even if I only used it for home made nutella (roasted hazelnuts processed into hazelnut butter, then cocoa powder and sugar pulsed in to taste) it would still have been worth the purchase price and storage space.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, I have created an abomination. A delicious abomination.

See, over in the Cooking Club thread we made Jiaozi, or chinese dumplings, and to start I made them as traditional as I could, with ground pork, cabbage, and spring onions, though I did use premade wrappers. I went with a pan fried version to get nice crispy bottoms on them, and the whole thing was a great success.

When it was done though, I found myself with extra wrappers, and at least rudimentary skills at enclosing filling in said wrappers and cooking. I could put whatever I want in those remaining wrappers, and did not stop to consider whether I should.

I also had this Chef John video for a buffalo chicken wing spread. I modified it slightly, I wanted to include some vegetables in the filling, and as the chicken was already cooked I wanted to pre-cook the veggies too, so when I got to the end step of reducing down the sauce I added some very finely chopped cabbage and grated carrot, and then mixed all that back in with the shredded chicken.

I bundled up the dumplings and folded them closed by bringing the corners together and then folding over the edges where they came together, and cooked them in the pan by first browning the bottoms with a bit of oil, then adding a bit of water and steaming the rest. And then, because nobody had stopped me yet, I turned them all over to put a bit of browning/texture on the tops as well.

DZtaGq0l.png

And folks,

they're really good. You get the flavour of buffalo wings, some crunch from the wrapper with tender filling within, and none of the mess. Pair them with a blue cheese or ranch dip depending on where you fall on that particular debate, and I'm almost tempted to have a superbowl party just to have an excuse to make/serve these.

• Options
    So I have this 2 and a half pound chuck roast and have to cook it today, and I figured I'd try something super fuckin' wacky. I'm gonna toss it in the instant pot with about a pound of eighthed red potatoes, half a pound of corn, a pound of broccoli, 6 garlic cloves, a cup to a cup and a half of beef broth, some black pepper, MSG and...general tso's sauce. I'm gonna make a general tso's pot roast with broccoli. Am I missing something I should include or something I should exclude? (Don't say onions, I don't like onions)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We went to the new giant asian market that just opened up here (the 3rd in about a 5 mile radius, very exciting) and they have a massive live/fresh seafood section. Took home a couple whole Branzino, scaled and gutted 'em, and they've been sitting in marinade overnight. Gonna cook 'em up today, can't wait.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    one of the only reasons I'd ever want to live in an actual house is because that's the only way I could manage to find space for a chest freezer

I'd love one of those, just making pies and burritos and sandwiches like crazy every two months or whatever

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think our next big purchase is going to be a chest freezer if the wiring in the basement can support it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just found out my local butcher sells their own stocks. Super excited about that. Going to have to make a soup here in the next week or so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think our next big purchase is going to be a chest freezer if the wiring in the basement can support it.

Our freezer (that we bought at Costco, natch) just runs on a standard grounded 120V outlet. I ended up having to install a new outlet because there wasn't one in that corner of the basement, but there was a junction box nearby and my wiring skills are decent enough to do all that to code.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    What's in Juggs' Slow Cooker today?

Some kinda... gumbo I guess? Red beans, onions, celery, bell pepper, mushrums and smoked turkey sausage.

bsjblsvchpe0.jpg

Gonna put it over rice and have a soul food meal prep.

It's been in the pot maybe 10 minutes and it already smells amazing.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Get you some okra in there, juggs! It's not too late!

• Options
    Absolutely not.

Okra only approaches acceptable when it is fried and even then I am wary.

• Options
    Also eggplant is bad. These are my vegetable opinions and I am prepared to use violence to defend them.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Also eggplant is bad. These are my vegetable opinions and I am prepared to use violence to defend them.

be cool gurney

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
  • Options
    Gumbo update.

I've already eaten but I tasted it when I got home and was like, yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and have a big ole bowl of this shit right here.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's how you KNOW you succeeded

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

But...

I mean...

Hmm.

Ok, yeah, that's fair.

• Options
    I mean. I guess? But I didn't produce delicious food for myself and my family with a tamagotchi so the starter seems better in every respect.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I've joked that Betty is my child with Wyborn

A child that is actually thousands of lives, which we ritually cull and harvest every week

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Everyone read Sourdough by Robin Sloan. It's a very pretty, slightly dreamy novel about a robotics engineer who gets into an intense relationship with a quasi-mystical sourdough starter to stay sane working in a San Francisco tech startup. It really goes some places, and it's got some of the most evocative passages about baking and eating bread I've ever read. Robin Sloan is a great mix of early Gaiman and late Gibson.

Also read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by the same author. It doesn't have much bread in it, but if you get the hardcover it glows in the dark.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

A child that is actually thousands of lives, which we ritually cull and harvest every week

that uh

huh

yeah, I'd read a book about this setting

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

The old gods came again, cold and unfeeling. They took half the people, just as the ancestors said they would. Our world was ripped asunder and the only thing they left for us was food for the ones who lived. Is it fair we trade their lives for our survival?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I might try to make some shakshuka soon.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

My friend, have I got a thread for you!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

My friend, have I got a thread for you!

I missed this somehow

• Options
    Well, you're in it now. That's just the law.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the first rule about cook club, is tell everyone about cook club come on man it's great fun

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Just used Paprika's Grocery list option and that is real nice. Makes a real nice looking grocery list and it's super easy to add the Misc stuff that isn't part of recipes. It's also pretty damn good at parsing what categories items go into.

• Options
    Holiday chili! Hell yeah!

d7xskbk4c3cd.png
    60rsmk824zfk.png
    8zujs54xfzmk.png
    tkaiiwx1jddt.png

Pretty sure that's way too much chili. Good thing it freezes well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of putting tomatillos in chili but it seems like a fuckin' great idea I tell you

• Options
    Got a Potato Bacon Corn Chowder going in the instant pot, and some biscuits in the oven. Going to be a hearty dinner tonight!

• Options
    I don't see a big ol' hunk of cornbread next to that chili bowl, Jedoc.

• Options
    Too... much... chili?

I don't

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Today is the fifth day beyond the "best before" date for my chicken breasts. Knowing that it has been refrigerated for all that time at a temperature of less than 40 F, should I still cook with it y/n?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Does it look fine? Does it smell fine? Eat it!

• Options
    Give it a good sniff, you'll know immediately if it's off with poultry.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Today is the fifth day beyond the "best before" date for my chicken breasts. Knowing that it has been refrigerated for all that time at a temperature of less than 40 F, should I still cook with it y/n?

It should be fine. Cook it thoroughly and see what it looks like. If it looks fine, eat it.

This discussion has been closed.