As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Okay. Thank you all.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The main burner / hob on my stove isn't working right. It won't get past "warm".

I had to cook my grilled cheese on the burner I normally use for my little pourover kettle.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've never heard of putting tomatillos in chili but it seems like a fuckin' great idea I tell you

I have started putting tomatillos in everything.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seems like sound reasoning.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Update: the chicken smelled bad. I had to dump it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

The old olfactory response test is used in actual processing plants for a reason. Shit works.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

The old olfactory response test is used in actual processing plants for a reason. Shit works.

Our noses are able to detect hydrogen sulfide at the low parts-per-billion level. There are some very good reasons why we can do that.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

Our noses are able to detect hydrogen sulfide at the low parts-per-billion level. There are some very good reasons why we can do that.

Oh yeah? Name 3!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Oh yeah? Name 3!

Tammy
    Frank
    John Arringtonswyth III

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Oh yeah? Name 3!

Is this open to any participants?

Hydrogen sulfide is poisonous, corrosive and flammable

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Oh yeah? Name 3!

Tammy
    Frank
    John Arringtonswyth III

I believe that is Sir John Arringtonswyth III.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The most pertinent reason we're so sensitive to that in food is that something is producing the hydrogen sulfide, and pretty much everything that eats food and poops out H2S will make you darn sick.

• Options

Oh yeah? Name 3!

Tammy
    Frank
    John Arringtonswyth III

He was degraded shortly before Francis Mitchell in 1621, read a book!

• Options

Oh yeah? Name 3!

Tammy
    Frank
    John Arringtonswyth III

He was degraded shortly before Francis Mitchell in 1621, read a book!

NEVER!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've never heard of putting tomatillos in chili but it seems like a fuckin' great idea I tell you
    mmm chili verde

v5zobsl2bobo.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yes verde everything please, chili, soup, salsa, put it inside me

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Mmm. Juevos verdes con jamon.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Mmm. Juevos verdes con jamon.

Juevos divorciados is fantastic and fuckin' nobody's ever heard of it. It's super sad.

• Options
    I don't see a big ol' hunk of cornbread next to that chili bowl, Jedoc.

When you're right, you're right. I realized at lunch today that this would make the perfect base for tamale pie.

I know what I'm doing with a week's worth of the leftovers!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone know a good easy recipe for chicken tikka masala?

Last time I made it I did chef John's and it was too creamy tasting, not enough spice and tomato/garlic/ginger flavor.

I figure I know enough I could probably wing it ok at this point but I'm not sure. I would definitely not use as much cream.
    Main stuff to hit is garlic and ginger paste, tamato paste, good canned crushed tamato, some good hot peppers and mild peppers, a small chopped onion and plenty of garam masala?

Oh and good chicken thighs cut into chunks and marinated in yogurt and a bit of lemon juice browned in a hot cast iron?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Anyone know a good easy recipe for chicken tikka masala?

Last time I made it I did chef John's and it was too creamy tasting, not enough spice and tomato/garlic/ginger flavor.

I figure I know enough I could probably wing it ok at this point but I'm not sure. I would definitely not use as much cream.
    Main stuff to hit is garlic and ginger paste, tamato paste, good canned crushed tamato, some good hot peppers and mild peppers, a small chopped onion and plenty of garam masala?

Oh and good chicken thighs cut into chunks and marinated in yogurt and a bit of lemon juice browned in a hot cast iron?

this is my specialty! I have cobbled this recipe together over the years until it's exactly what I want.

For the chicken marinade:

2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use thighs, but I don't much care for them)
    1 cup plain yogurt (full fat if you can find it)
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    2 teaspoons garam masala
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
    1 teaspoon of salt

For the sauce:

2 tablespoons of vegetable/canola oil or ghee
    2 tablespoons butter or ghee
    2 small onions (or 1 large onion) finely diced
    1 1/2 tablespoons garlic finely grated
    1 tablespoon ginger finely grated
    1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon turmeric powder
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    16 oz. tomato puree
    1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups of heavy cream (you can use coconut milk but it won't be as rich)
    Several good shakes of dried fenugreek leaves (this will make the dish!)

In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; let marinate for 10 minutes to an hour (or overnight if time allows).

Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm. (You will finish cooking the chicken in the sauce.)

Melt the butter in the same pan. Fry the onions until soft (about 3 minutes) while scraping up any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan.

Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add garam masala, cumin, turmeric and coriander. Fry for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally.

Pour in the tomato puree, chili powder and salt. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown red colour.

Stir the cream through the sauce. Add the chicken and its juices back into the pan along with the fenugreek leaves and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling. leave simmering on low until ready to serve.

I get requests for this weekly from my family =)

• Options
    Rad, thanks! I've been in the market for a good chicken tikka recipe for a long time, but there's such a variety of them out there that I invariably get overwhelmed and make something else.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks @Xaquin !

• Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Be sure to add the cream to taste - you stir it in at the end of the cooking, so start with half, give it a stir, let it simmer for a minute, have a taste. If it could do with more, then add away!

Also we always use thighs because we like the darker meat, but they can be a right pain in the ass to prepare compared to breasts.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    No cinnamon = no tikka masala to me!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    For wooden kitchen products: mineral oil, beeswax, or conditioner? Is there a preference for which to use? Specifically for a cutting board and a salt box, maybe some olivewood utensils.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    For wooden kitchen products: mineral oil, beeswax, or conditioner? Is there a preference for which to use? Specifically for a cutting board and a salt box, maybe some olivewood utensils.

I'm a mineral oil man myself. Wipe things down once a month or so, maybe more on a cutting board depending on if it's an end cut butcher block style.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

garam masala includes cinnamon

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I made bolognese. My girlfriend notoriously hates carrots but she loved this stuff. I also loved it, but I made it with regular old canned tomatoes rather than a nice tomato paste, and it isn’t as saucy as I would like.

Next time I think I’ma just toss a tomato in the blender and fuck it up real good and then simmer that shit down for like two hours before I get going on the actual bolognese.

I also need a better method for smooshing the beef, using a spoon is some red hot bullshit.

• Options
    I never start off my tomato sauce with a mirepoix, not a fan of the stuff.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I agree that celery doesn't have much of a place in tomato sauces, but onion is critical and some shaved carrot can bring a nice sweetness to round the sauce out.

• Options
    Oh man the tomatoes I use are already sweet enough and I am not a big fan of onions. I just start my shit off with meat and aromatics (garlic, oregano and basil in this instance).

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

garam masala includes cinnamon

But not enough!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I never start off my tomato sauce with a mirepoix, not a fan of the stuff.

Well it worked like a Goddamn charm in this one. I also think Taiwanese celery probably works a bit better, it’s smaller and less rigid and has more tender leaves. It had a real mild flavor and I loved it.
    Oh man the tomatoes I use are already sweet enough and I am not a big fan of onions. I just start my shit off with meat and aromatics (garlic, oregano and basil in this instance).

You are a thoughtcriminal and have been declared an enemy of the state.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What's a good sauce for pasta that isn't tomato or cream based?

• Options
  • Options
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's a good sauce for pasta that isn't tomato or cream based?

I enjoy vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and hot sauce blended together

I've actually found some salad dressing vinegarettes? That work really well for pasta and for marinades

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Pesto?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.