Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    While I'm not big on networking, I do enjoy the Craft Computing channel.

• Options
    Ok holy shit. 4.5 GHz all cores at 1.35V. 5GHz single core.

If the new Ryzens can be less finicky about memory when they're first released, unlike their predecessors, that's going to be hard to beat.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ok holy shit. 4.5 GHz all cores at 1.35V. 5GHz single core.

If the new Ryzens can be less finicky about memory when they're first released, unlike their predecessors, that's going to be hard to beat.

Ryzen memory thing was fixed with zen+
    It's all gravy now.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Man, Ryzen 3000 is going to be sold out for months after release isn't it? I've waited this long, I can wait another couple of months, but still.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Man, Ryzen 3000 is going to be sold out for months after release isn't it? I've waited this long, I can wait another couple of months, but still.

I'm thinking cyber Monday might be a good time to upgrade my system this year.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AMD has traditionally been good with supply for launches. I honestly think there is a good chance if you don't wait like a week or two.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    any real benchmarks yet?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    any real benchmarks yet?

Haven't heard anything concrete on the embargo date but speculation is 2-3 weeks before launch based on 2xxx series. So mid June earliest which puts it around E3 time.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Can you ever go full RGB? (pay attention to the cables on the first rig)

Mugsley on
  • Options
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If all else equal then would it make sense to go with the cheaper option? Seeing 1080ti used for like $500 haven't found a 2080 yet.

Especially if you're not interested in Ray Tracing--at the moment--probably. I'm "still" using a GTX 1080ti for a 2160p setup. If anything, my aging i5 is more a bottleneck for me.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.12701
    Fallout affects all processor generations we have tested. However, we notice a worrying regression, where the newer Coffee Lake R processors are more vulnerable to Fallout than older generations.

Fucking christ, Intel, what are you doing?

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    They found ANOTHER vulnerability? Jesus.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "No way anyone will ever discover these cpu vulnerabilities, just leave them in"

as soon as the first one was found people wondered if there were more

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    "No way anyone will ever discover these cpu vulnerabilities, just leave them in"

as soon as the first one was found people wondered if there were more

People were pretty sure there were a lot more they just weren't sure exactly where.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    They found ANOTHER vulnerability? Jesus.

It was found last year, they disclosed it recently.

This is why I'm not giving Intel the time of day until they shitcan Coffee lake. This is Bulldozer in slow motion, a crashing fail by a thousand cuts.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I may end up going Ryzen just to not have all these fucking vulnerabilities baked in to my cpu.

• Options
    I may end up going Ryzen just to not have all these fucking vulnerabilities baked in to my cpu.

And that the cumulative losses in perf from mitigation have wiped out 16% of that thing's perf in gaming, more if you're prosumer.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Which Ryzen would be good if I want to record/stream Total War games with a 1080ti, and a possible GPU upgrade in the future?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Which Ryzen would be good if I want to record/stream Total War games with a 1080ti, and a possible GPU upgrade in the future?

That's going to depend a lot on how much you're willing to spend. You will probably want at least a 3600X. I play a lot of Total War and I've got my eyes locked on either the 3800x or whatever they end up calling (3990X?) that 16 core monster we'll be seeing at E3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14407/amd-ryzen-3000-announced-five-cpus-12-cores-for-499-up-to-46-ghz-pcie-40-coming-77

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

That's going to depend a lot on how much you're willing to spend. You will probably want at least a 3600X. I play a lot of Total War and I've got my eyes locked on either the 3800x or whatever they end up calling (3990X?) that 16 core monster we'll be seeing at E3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14407/amd-ryzen-3000-announced-five-cpus-12-cores-for-499-up-to-46-ghz-pcie-40-coming-77

Honestly with the 1080ti's dual NVENC chips, it can do the heavy lifting for the video encoding. Processor will mostly be the game play, so choose accordingly.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    This looks even worse for Intel when you put it out there:

fTF5wDY.png

I'm leaning towards the absurd: The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula. Will have to see what the price is. It also says that it has a build in liquid cooling block on some of the motherboard components, so maybe going down to the Hero is better (since I don't do liquid cooling).

I wish I knew what RAM specs to aim for, the sites all just say "DDR4."

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    These TDP ratings HAVE to be complete bullshit. How in the wide wide world of sports can the 9 3900X and the 7 3800X have the same TDP? The 9 is 50% more chip!

• Options
    These TDP ratings HAVE to be complete bullshit. How in the wide wide world of sports can the 9 3900X and the 7 3800X have the same TDP? The 9 is 50% more chip!

The -800 would be made with trashier silicon, possibly,

• Options
    goodness gracious AMD, no need to execute intel jesus

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    goodness gracious AMD, no need to execute intel jesus

Nah, do it.

Intel's had it coming for years with their constant lazy bullshit.

• Options
    Intel isn't going anywhere but they're poised to lose significant ground in the desktop space which is great.

We'll see how epyc does in the datacentre over the next few years.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

Okay but no, the wafer still has to work, those 8 cores still have to perform to spec, and they're on the same architecture and lithography.

So a 12 core chip specced to the same performance per core coming out of the same plant using the same architecture and built on the same process should use very nearly if not exactly the same power draw per core, and voltage regulator etc. etc. required per core.

This is like expecting a 6 litre V12 engine with 50% more power to have the exact same gas mileage as a 4 litre V8 in otherwise identical cars.

That's not how physics works! There are laws of thermodynamics which cannot be circumvented!

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Intel isn't going anywhere but they're poised to lose significant ground in the desktop space which is great.

They've lost a serious amount of performance because of all those speculative execution hacks, it's been something like 8 in one year and AMD only got hit with what, 2 of them?

• Options

They've lost a serious amount of performance because of all those speculative execution hacks, it's been something like 8 in one year and AMD only got hit with what, 2 of them?

Intel is in all macs and 95%+ of laptops and that market dwarfs pc sales.
    Equifax gave away tens of millions of peoples private financial data and doesn't appear any worse for wear....

I'm not saying intel is winning right now but "intel is dead!" is so far beyond hyperbole it's into absurdity.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Okay but no, the wafer still has to work, those 8 cores still have to perform to spec, and they're on the same architecture and lithography.

So a 12 core chip specced to the same performance per core coming out of the same plant using the same architecture and built on the same process should use very nearly if not exactly the same power draw per core, and voltage regulator etc. etc. required per core.

This is like expecting a 6 litre V12 engine with 50% more power to have the exact same gas mileage as a 4 litre V8 in otherwise identical cars.

That's not how physics works! There are laws of thermodynamics which cannot be circumvented!

It's called 'binning'.

Some chips need different levels of power to hit certain levels, or won't at all; comparing the production process of V8s and CPUs is very much an apples and oranges thing - wafer manufacture is, by nature, a comparatively inexact - or more accurately, less error tolerant in comparison to V8s - process with quite widely varying results in quality. The quality often determines how much current you have to push through it to get to so and so frequency, for example, or how stable it is at so or so overclock frequency. The chiplets that are more efficient are likely being sucked up by the higher tier products/products that are more power sensitive, or other stacks, like TR or Epyc. The 3800x may getting lower binned chiplets that still have all 8 cores functional, or it may be chiplets that can hit really good frequencies but suck power while doing it. This is why, incidentally, things like Vega take so much power - there's a lot that can be undervolted down to nVidia levels and be faster due to lower thermal throttling, but not all of them could do it, so they all got set to the higher power make sure they all delivered. Same's the case with a lot of nVidia chips.

Equifax gave away tens of millions of peoples private financial data and doesn't appear any worse for wear....

I'm not saying intel is winning right now but "intel is dead!" is so far beyond hyperbole it's into absurdity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple went pure AMD in the coming gens, at least desktop, between that they already do business with AMD for their GPUs, and they might get a cheaper package deal and the security issues of Intel.

Jeep-Eep on
  • Options

I didn't say they were.

I did make a joke earlier because of how crazy their stuff is that you're probably reading too far into.

• Options

I didn't say they were.

I did make a joke earlier because of how crazy their stuff is that you're probably reading too far into.

I was :)

• Options
    All good, that shit is just crazy and I want to see what intel delivers now that they actually have to do shit!

• Options
    I've waited this long, so I think I'm going to try to extend this build another year because I think DDR5 is *right there* and my builds tend to go ~5 years before replacement (CPU+Mobo+RAM).

That being said, I'm going to use the rest of this year to get some gear that will transfer over: new case and probably a new CPU cooler

• Options
    All good, that shit is just crazy and I want to see what intel delivers now that they actually have to do shit!

I suspect they may be like Pre-Zen AMD for a while - decent GPUs for a budget, kind of lackluster CPU.

• Options

I suspect they may be like Pre-Zen AMD for a while - decent GPUs for a budget, kind of lackluster CPU.

Intel doesn't make GPUs except for their integrated stuff right?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Intel doesn't make GPUs except for their integrated stuff right?

They're supposed to have discrete GPU's on the market by 2020

• Options
    A third GPU entering the market and actually competing might be a good thing, can't wait to see the benchmarks on that.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I've waited this long, so I think I'm going to try to extend this build another year because I think DDR5 is *right there* and my builds tend to go ~5 years before replacement (CPU+Mobo+RAM).

That being said, I'm going to use the rest of this year to get some gear that will transfer over: new case and probably a new CPU cooler

It seems weird that DDR5 is still not there in PCs. A console using GDDR5 as system RAM came out in 2013.

This discussion has been closed.