Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well, I'll give them this: given their base price it really is targeted at the professional. Or the consumer with too much money and not enough sense.

I still don't think it makes any sense unless you're firmly attached to the Apple ecosystem and need the extra performance, though supposedly the monitor is surprisingly good for the money.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Well, I'll give them this: given their base price it really is targeted at the professional. Or the consumer with too much money and not enough sense.

I still don't think it makes any sense unless you're firmly attached to the Apple ecosystem and need the extra performance, though supposedly the monitor is surprisingly good for the money.

Yeah the monitors (outside of the stupidly overpriced arm) are a very good deal if you're in that market. Even with the stupidly overpriced arm, it's still a good deal.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah that monitor is baller as fuck. They can charge 5k for that thing because it's likely there isn't anything else on the market that can compete.

That Mac Pro has a 3k premium slapped on it. I actually think it gets worse the higher you go (Completely maxed out the Mac Pro can run $45,000).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Mac Pro is not targeted at consumers. It's not even really targeted at a prosumer or a "normal" professional who's making youtube videos for a living.

The Mac Pro is targeted at companies like Disney/Pixar. With the fact that you can have 2 GPU's that use an AMD tech to communicate even faster than the PCI-e bus (the infinity fabric stuff, (same technology that's used on Threadripper), and an add in card for ASICs for the 8k rendering stuff, this is for production studios that are making the next Marvel movies.

The base model of 8 cores, 32GB of ram, 580x, and 256 storage is actually a complete non starter for the market this is actually aimed towards. That model is the one that they'll sell a few to to those people who have more money than sense. where the mac pro will actually sell is in units that cost $30k to big production companies.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm kind of surprised they aren't selling it as a like 2/4U rackmount unit.

Are we still in an era where a video color grader or audio mixer that needs this level of power is just plugging away at a desk somewhere and not working on a huge team?

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Are we still in an era where a video color grader or audio mixer that needs this level of power is just plugging away at a desk somewhere and not working on a huge team?

They said they are going to be selling a variant that can be rack mounted, but that's probably not as pretty to show off on a table as the cheese grater case.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

There is a rack mountable version; they mentioned it for like 2s at the end.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I didn't actually watch the event, so it's good to know they have at least a smidge of self-awareness.

• Options
    I want apple to pioneer VMs with this shit and have portable desktop thin clients.

The kind that citrix was peddling forever ago were straight up garbage and no one's really done much with this. I'd love for something like this so I can create base images for all my users and not give a shit what happens to them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The Mac Pro is not targeted at consumers. It's not even really targeted at a prosumer or a "normal" professional who's making youtube videos for a living.

The Mac Pro is targeted at companies like Disney/Pixar. With the fact that you can have 2 GPU's that use an AMD tech to communicate even faster than the PCI-e bus (the infinity fabric stuff, (same technology that's used on Threadripper), and an add in card for ASICs for the 8k rendering stuff, this is for production studios that are making the next Marvel movies.

The base model of 8 cores, 32GB of ram, 580x, and 256 storage is actually a complete non starter for the market this is actually aimed towards. That model is the one that they'll sell a few to to those people who have more money than sense. where the mac pro will actually sell is in units that cost $30k to big production companies.

MacBook Pros are for prosumer makers: developers, freelance video, music production, etc.. As you said Mac Pros are for full on professionals doing multi-million dollar budget levels of work. To them dropping 30 grand on hardware is just part of doing business. Saving a few grand here or there, but possibly throwing their entire workflow off, is simply not worth it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    It is absolutely still overpriced, too.

It is using a lot of custom components you can't make a good 1:1 comparison with, but, it's got something like $2000-4000 premium on top of it for the high end model.

It actually evens out more on the top

Fully loaded it compares pretty well to top end HP stations and such

Is the implication that HP doesn't overcharge either? These CPUs range from 2-5k depending on which one you're tossing in, but the motherboards and ram don't really deviate very much unless the board requires ECC.

If you can get a hold of the E7 chips and a motherboard to support it, you could build a comparable system for something like half the price usually.

Measured against a DIY solution then sure, both HP and Apple overcharge. High-end hardware manufactures like their 35% profit margins. Even so, the price isn't that outrageous. To build a TB3 capable i9-based Hackintosh with 10 cores and similar overall specs would cost you around $3K. Actually matching the workstation parts (i.e. Xeon on a WS motherboard with ECC) would probably add another $1K or so.

The two big disappointments with its pricing are that the base model costs more than a base iMac Pro, and the base model SSD is only 256GB.

Really curious to see what architecture it's based on. It's some sort of Xeon, but not from the W family that's available right now. It seems like it must have an insane number of PCIE lanes: 8 PCIe slots, at least two of which must be 16x; some sort of high-bandwidth interface to its FPGA 8K video card; enough bandwidth left over to run 4 TB3 ports, a couple of SATA ports, and all the usual USB ports, too.

htm on
  • Options
    It's one of the E7 chips that are slated to be coming out this summer I think?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    If Mac hadn't included the two lowest end models, I'd actually probably have a collect "Meh, seems fine" reaction to the Pro. Maybe even an "I'm mildly impressed" just at the sheer amount of IO they have.

But the low end model is insulting in their graphics card choice and HDD size, coupled with the thousand dollars for a monitor stand. They could've have tacked an extra $150 on that monitor and had a built in removable stand and it would have been hyped to all hell. Yeah, the super high end models will probably be fine, but they may have sabotaged themselves in the prosumer market because the low end professional model is pretty fucking bad, and not in a niche that really needs that extensive IO or dual 10gb networking. And that's not a market segment I think Apple wants to be burning goodwill in.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    With that being said... Given the price of 128 GB ECC DIMMs and Radeon Pro V340 cards (closest analogue), it *actually* may end up being a more reasonable buy at the very high end, which is a complete reversal for Apple.

I knew I could have sworn that Macs used ECC DIMMs.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    If Mac hadn't included the two lowest end models, I'd actually probably have a collect "Meh, seems fine" reaction to the Pro. Maybe even an "I'm mildly impressed" just at the sheer amount of IO they have.

But the low end model is insulting in their graphics card choice and HDD size, coupled with the thousand dollars for a monitor stand. They could've have tacked an extra $150 on that monitor and had a built in removable stand and it would have been hyped to all hell. Yeah, the super high end models will probably be fine, but they may have sabotaged themselves in the prosumer market because the low end professional model is pretty fucking bad, and not in a niche that really needs that extensive IO or dual 10gb networking. And that's not a market segment I think Apple wants to be burning goodwill in.

Isn't that basically the iMac Pro segment? Or the MacBook Pro + eGPU segment?

• Options

Hasn't E7 been out a while? I thought Xeon W was their recent workstation hotness.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

Hasn't E7 been out a while? I thought Xeon W was their recent workstation hotness.

There's a new MEGA CORE E7 revision hitting I thought.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    htm wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »

Isn't that basically the iMac Pro segment? Or the MacBook Pro + eGPU segment?

Yes. The people who would be looking at the low end mac pro should probably just buy the iMac Pro instead.

Also, again, in the segment that we're talking about here, $1000 for a monitor stand is not a big thing. These professional shops that are actually going to buy these monitors are all building massive custom solutions that cost more than the equivalent to 1k/stand.

Nothing about the Mac Pro or the monitor that they announced are for the prosumer market. They're not for the guy who's looking to get into youtube videos. These are for production studios.

Honestly, announcing the Mac Pro at WWDC was a mistake. This should have been a thing they showed off to a few outlets geared towards the machine's actual intended purpose and marketing it that way. showing it off at WWDC makes people think that this is a machine that the normal people, or even "normal" developers should be interested in. It is not.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I've literally never seen a DIY workstation.

Predictable tested models matter too much

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I bought a bunch of AMD stock right after the computex unveiling of Ryzen 3000. Shares keep climbing and will inevitably be soaring in July on the heels of initial sales figures. The Q3 earnings report will likely provide another bump. If I play my cards right I can more than cover the cost of a new rig on the profits.

• Options
    Which platform are you using?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Which platform are you using?

Merrill Lynch. That's where my retirement fund lives. I've got it linked to my BoA account too so it's easy to move money around between accounts. They charge $6-something commission per trade. When you're trading thousands of dollars in stock at a time it's drop in the bucket.

I made a few thousand day trading Tesla stock with ML last year before it became too volatile even for my taste.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    I was thinking of opening a Robin Hood account for funsies not too long ago, but we have accounts at Fidelity so I may check that out.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I bought a bunch of AMD stock right after the computex unveiling of Ryzen 3000. Shares keep climbing and will inevitably be soaring in July on the heels of initial sales figures. The Q3 earnings report will likely provide another bump. If I play my cards right I can more than cover the cost of a new rig on the profits.

Yeah I put down a good amount of money several months ago and its continually been paying off

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »

For those who haven't seen it, https://streamable.com/59xli

Oh, and it gets better. The monitor doesn't come with a stand. You HAVE to buy the $1000 stand (or the $200 and then provide your own). Because just having a VESA built in like literally every other manufacturer not some fly by night Chinese monitor company on AliExpress would be too good for Apple.

Edit:

DFxlK1X.jpg

Edit 2:

Noctua NH-D15 and Noctua NH-U12S... Is one just slightly smaller than the other? They both seem several years old. I'm being told that I shouldn't plan on relying on the Ryzen 3k's included coolers, and I'd rather do air than water, and supposedly Noctua is the way to go...

Edit 2:

Reading up, the NH-D15 fits in the case I'm looking at, but apparently Noctua put out the Noctua NH-D15S which fits better over ram?

KiTA on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah I put down a good amount of money several months ago and its continually been paying off

Thanks for putting ideas in my head!

I just bought about 100 shares.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Oh hell yeah. AMD is at $31.46. If I sold right now I could just about buy a new rig on the profits. I wanna ride this shit to the moon, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/06/morgan-stanley-upgrades-amd-being-cautious-has-been-the-wrong-call.html

That_Guy on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Do we have an investment thread on the forums?

• Options
    Financial literacy thread is the closest we have

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I have some shares as well. Watch out though, while I agree tech wise AMD is killing it, their valuation is also pretty crazy high. And all tech stocks seem to be vulnerable to a trade war.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Dixon wrote: »

We should. I'd love to get into this sorta thing but I have literally no idea how people do it. Of course, my idea of a lot of money saved up is ~5k, so maybe it's beyond me, haha.

So I'm looking into the NH-D15 and a Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case for my upcoming Ryzen 3k build. The case manual says there's a limitation of 185mm for the CPU cooler.

The NH-D15 is apparently 165mm high, so no big deal right? Except apparently due to the RAM being in the way, you have to put the second fan on the cooler off center (approx 5:30 in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qq9syfjxc8

Does anyone know if that causes the ram to be more than 20mm above where it used to be? I'm looking at CORSAIR Vengeance LPX sticks, so it's not like they've got huge unwieldy heatinks on them -- in fact, I think the video above has LPXes in it. According to a quick search, apparenly the LPX is 31mm high?

Edit: According to this: https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers That fan shouldn't have even needed to be offset? Becasue it's 31mm high and supposedly there's 32mm of clearance?

KiTA on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Need help PC thread.

I have recently begun laying GTA 5 and I am getting some really weird performance. Sometimes it's 144FPS (max monitor refresh) and sometimes it's 15...

My specs:
    i5 9600k overclocked on all cores to 5.1Ghz
    16GB DDR 3000mhz ram
    GTX 1070ti overclocked +175 core 350 mem

Playing in 1440 and was going for "high" settings.

MS game bar and Nvidia overlay stuff is off.

When driving or running around I hit an average of ~100fps and sometimes spiking to 144 and sometimes dropping into the low teens.
    This happens a little less in doors but still wild fluctuations.

Latest GPU drivers installed, windows is up to date. Nvidia control panel settings are set to performance.

Using afterburner I am noticing CPU utilization is very high sometimes hitting 100% so this theoretically should be a CPU bottleneck but how am I hitting this with the FPS I'm getting and my hardware?
    People have been playing this game on 2600k's...

I feel like I am missing something.

Basically I'm looking for smoother framerates and can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

Any hints or advice is appreciated.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Need help PC thread.

I have recently begun laying GTA 5 and I am getting some really weird performance. Sometimes it's 144FPS (max monitor refresh) and sometimes it's 15...

My specs:
    16GB DDR 3000mhz ram

When driving or running around I hit an average of ~100fps and sometimes spiking to 144 and sometimes dropping into the low teens.

Latest GPU drivers installed, windows is up to date. Nvidia control panel settings are set to performance.

Using afterburner I am noticing CPU utilization is very high sometimes hitting 100% so this theoretically should be a CPU bottleneck but how am I hitting this with the FPS I'm getting and my hardware?

Basically I'm looking for smoother framerates and can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

It's possible you're hitting some sort of thermal throttling. You may want to keep an eye on your temps the next time this happens.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    KiTA wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

We should. I'd love to get into this sorta thing but I have literally no idea how people do it. Of course, my idea of a lot of money saved up is ~5k, so maybe it's beyond me, haha.

So I'm looking into the NH-D15 and a Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case for my upcoming Ryzen 3k build. The case manual says there's a limitation of 185mm for the CPU cooler.

The NH-D15 is apparently 165mm high, so no big deal right? Except apparently due to the RAM being in the way, you have to put the second fan on the cooler off center (approx 5:30 in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qq9syfjxc8

Does anyone know if that causes the ram to be more than 20mm above where it used to be? I'm looking at CORSAIR Vengeance LPX sticks, so it's not like they've got huge unwieldy heatinks on them -- in fact, I think the video above has LPXes in it. According to a quick search, apparenly the LPX is 31mm high?

Edit: According to this: https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh-d15-and-how-much-clearance-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers That fan shouldn't have even needed to be offset? Becasue it's 31mm high and supposedly there's 32mm of clearance?

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/270785-noctua-nh-d15-weight

According to this guy, the max height of the D15 will be 175mm and that's only if you squeeze in ram that's 42mm in height.

That's not to say you can't use taller ram as there's a 64mm gap on the fins without the front fan, just that it probably won't be easy to reach after installation.

But honestly with 185mm of clearance in that case you'll definitely be fine.

The alternative is moving the front fan to the back as an exhaust, but I've heard that can cause some noise issues.

Granted, I haven't tested this myself yet, as I still need to buy a new CPU and Motherboard before I actually use this beast.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Need help PC thread.

My specs:
    16GB DDR 3000mhz ram

What do your CPU temps look like? Could be thermal throttling from the OC

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Need help PC thread.

My specs:
    16GB DDR 3000mhz ram

It's possible you're hitting some sort of thermal throttling. You may want to keep an eye on your temps the next time this happens.

I have HWinfo up on the 3rd monitor and I never go above 64c on the cpu and 59 on the gpu.
    All other games like Anthem, FC4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, work fine :(

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Need help PC thread.

My specs:
    16GB DDR 3000mhz ram

I have HWinfo up on the 3rd monitor and I never go above 64c on the cpu and 59 on the gpu.
    All other games like Anthem, FC4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, work fine :(

2X your AA and lower your grass distance

This discussion has been closed.