Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Ok, after a couple hours testing I have figured it out. Sort of.

I think something is going wrong with my overclock and the settings I chose.
    The system is "stable" at 5.1 in that the games run, benchmarks pass, stress tests work etc... but I get just insane swings in FPS.
    I removed the CPU overclock and went to stock and things ran smooth exactly as they should.
    I bumped it up using the "auto" overclocking to 5ghz and things still work fine so there is something I chose in the manual overclock settings that is fucking things up.

More testing required but for now I'm good at 5ghz using the auto OC on this prime mobo.

If I ever figure it out I'll post which thing it was :)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sounds like the overclock becomes unstable under certain conditions which don't happen in the benchmarks and stress tests, yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »

The system is "stable" at 5.1 in that the games run, benchmarks pass, stress tests work etc... but I get just insane swings in FPS.
    I removed the CPU overclock and went to stock and things ran smooth exactly as they should.
    I bumped it up using the "auto" overclocking to 5ghz and things still work fine so there is something I chose in the manual overclock settings that is fucking things up.

More testing required but for now I'm good at 5ghz using the auto OC on this prime mobo.

I was going to make a snark post last night and say it was your overclock (because I figured you were already watching your temps) but didn't feel like getting into it.

but it was your overclock. hey, maybe don't overclock for no reason! :)

(in 2019 overclocking falls into the RGB category for me at this point. These days processors are already incredibly fast and stable at stock.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I was going to make a snark post last night and say it was your overclock (because I figured you were already watching your temps) but didn't feel like getting into it.

but it was your overclock. hey, maybe don't overclock for no reason! :)

(in 2019 overclocking falls into the RGB category for me at this point. These days processors are already incredibly fast and stable at stock.

It made a difference when I played anthem and FC4 but I must have messed something up when I went up to 5.1

It's OC'd now but just using whatever ASUS throws at it. I ain't leaving free performance on the table :)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hm. Maybe the RAM chips you got aren't tight enough in timing? Would adding more voltage help?

I typically agree with @Hardtarget but this is a fun experiment. Well, it is for me because I can just make suggestions and wait for results.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've had issues with some games not liking overclocks on my video card. Overwatch and Dauntless being two that come to mind. With both games I had to drop it down for them to be stable. I think I dropped the core on my 1080 by 25-50 and my memory down to around +500. Honestly, most games ended up actually playing slightly better at those settings anyways.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'm thinking it's more in line with what Bahamut is thinking in that there is some instability and it probably is voltage related. I kept it at 1.33 at 5.1 and that might not be enough.

I've always overclocked since it allows me to cheap out on midrange components and stretch em :)

• Options
    It's definitely CPU related as I left the GPU OC on and things are playing perfectly now at 5.0ghz.

I followed a video guide for the 5.1 and obvious I screwed some shit up haha.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    It's definitely CPU related as I left the GPU OC on and things are playing perfectly now at 5.0ghz.

I followed a video guide for the 5.1 and obvious I screwed some shit up haha.

Not necessarily. Silicon lottery is a thing and every chip is different.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm thinking it's more in line with what Bahamut is thinking in that there is some instability and it probably is voltage related. I kept it at 1.33 at 5.1 and that might not be enough.

I've always overclocked since it allows me to cheap out on midrange components and stretch em :)

I was just sharing a similar experience I had albeit video card related rather than CPU. Overwatch literally told me after a few crashes to disable any video card overclock, and Dauntless kept crashing during the intro movie until I turned it down.

I agree with Bahamut that from what you've seen it's CPU related. Maybe try bumping the voltage up to 1.35'ish might be enough, but honestly that 100mhz difference wouldn't be noticeable in game anyways. However, I totally get wanting to be over 5ghz stable just for personal satisfaction.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I've had processors where 100mhz was all the difference between odd behavior and crashes and 3 years of rock solid performance without any issues.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I am genuinely paralyzed by indecision.

Corsair Carbide 270R is $30 US after rebate and free shipping. The price is goddamn perfect and it would fit where my current case sits (Antec 300 that has no issues but a lack of USB 3 and front drive slots that are now useless)

I had been giving serious consideration to Meshify C, which is a bit more than double that sale price.

My box sits on the (wood) floor, between my desk and a wall, so a clear side panel is wasted on me.

The sensible side says buy the Corsair and call it good. The hobbyist side says wait out for the Meshify or just say 'fuck it' and get one since it's under $100.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Carbide 270R is one of the ones I was looking at. In the end I decided I wanted front panel USB-C, though.

• Options
    Super happy with my meshify c. Great airflow, easy to build in, looks nice and not too big.
    Worth the premium imo.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Looking into USB CD and floppy drives for S&Gs, mostly because I haven't used my SATA DVDRW drives in like 10 years. (No need for an internal, is what I'm saying.)

Apparently USB DVDRW drives no longer even need external power. And uh, apparently there's no such thing as a USB 5 1/4" floppy drive.

How am I gonna access all my old Nethack and Angband saves now?!

Edit: JFC, even a non-USB one is $300+ haha.

KiTA on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Looking into USB CD and floppy drives for S&Gs, mostly because I haven't used my SATA DVDRW drives in like 10 years. (No need for an internal, is what I'm saying.)

Apparently USB DVDRW drives no longer even need external power. And uh, apparently there's no such thing as a USB 5 1/4" floppy drive.

How am I gonna access all my old Nethack and Angband saves now?!

Edit: JFC, even a non-USB one is $300+ haha.

http://shop.deviceside.com/prod/FC5025

That's only $55? Still need to acquire an old drive though.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    KiTA on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for a UPS? I live in Florida and summer means daily thunderstorms. Usually the power is fine (and I already have good surge protection), but every now and then the power blips for a couple of seconds. I don't need something that will keep the power on for a long time, just enough to keep my PC and router from resetting.

I've been doing some research and can't find one that has decent reviews for under $100. My machine pulls maybe 200W most of the time because I'm not using it for gaming, so I definitely don't need a 1500VA unit. Just something basic that can handle the load for 5 - 10 seconds.

Thanks.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    hey ya'll -- I'm currently running the following build from 2016:

I've been watching my CPU, and it seems like it's bottlenecking me. I'm eyeing the new Ryzen chips from AMD -- I know I'll need a new motherboard in addition to that, and I *think* new RAM?

Anything else that would potentially be a problem? And are there any ideas/recommendations on motherboards for the new Ryzens or is it too early? If I'm mostly gaming, should I go for the 3800X or the 3700X (or is something else a better idea entirely)?

• Options
    What games and settings are you running and are you certain that you're CPU bound? I'm barely bottlenecking with my 4770k and 1080.

I'm not saying it's not happening because I tend to run older or less demanding titles. I'm just a bit surprised a system that young could have genuine performance concerns.

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a UPS? I live in Florida and summer means daily thunderstorms. Usually the power is fine (and I already have good surge protection), but every now and then the power blips for a couple of seconds. I don't need something that will keep the power on for a long time, just enough to keep my PC and router from resetting.

I've been doing some research and can't find one that has decent reviews for under $100. My machine pulls maybe 200W most of the time because I'm not using it for gaming, so I definitely don't need a 1500VA unit. Just something basic that can handle the load for 5 - 10 seconds.

Thanks.

Start here:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups/

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    At the MSP/Datacenter I work for, we almost exclusively use Cyberpower UPSs. The only oddity I've noticed about them is that they tend to fail safe rather than hot. I don't see that as being a bad thing, though. I'd much rather my equipment be protected by potentially unprotected. It just means that you have to show someone how to power it up when it fails.

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »
    hey ya'll -- I'm currently running the following build from 2016:

I've been watching my CPU, and it seems like it's bottlenecking me. I'm eyeing the new Ryzen chips from AMD -- I know I'll need a new motherboard in addition to that, and I *think* new RAM?

Anything else that would potentially be a problem? And are there any ideas/recommendations on motherboards for the new Ryzens or is it too early? If I'm mostly gaming, should I go for the 3800X or the 3700X (or is something else a better idea entirely)?

It's a bit early for motherboards, although it's good news that the big names are announcing a ton of support. It looks like ASUS is putting out new revisions of their existing Crosshair lineup, which is what I'm aiming for, but as mentioned above I've decided to toss common sense to the wall.

The 8 core CPUs are probably the way to go, and honestly probably where I'll end up going, but if they really do announce the 16 core at the PC Gaming event at E3, and it's true you can overclock them to 5ghz, well. Common sense may just make a crater when it hits.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    What games and settings are you running and are you certain that you're CPU bound? I'm barely bottlenecking with my 4770k and 1080.

I'm not saying it's not happening because I tend to run older or less demanding titles. I'm just a bit surprised a system that young could have genuine performance concerns.

I saw it explicitly this morning playing Destiny2 at 1440p. I had HW monitor running and all of the cores were hitting 100%. I guess something else could be going on...

• Options
    Not necessarily. That sounds realistic.

• Options
    People in this thread continuously underestimate the value of CPUs in modern games. This isn't 2013 anymore. Xbox and PS4 have 8 full CPU cores. Games these days most definitely take good advantage of high core count CPUs.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

Thanks.

Start here:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups/

Thank you! I just ordered their top choice.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    At the MSP/Datacenter I work for, we almost exclusively use Cyberpower UPSs. The only oddity I've noticed about them is that they tend to fail safe rather than hot. I don't see that as being a bad thing, though. I'd much rather my equipment be protected by potentially unprotected. It just means that you have to show someone how to power it up when it fails.

That should be just fine for me. I really only need it so that I don't lose work when the power blips for a few seconds. If the computer shuts off when I'm not home, I don't really care that much. I'll just have it shut down if the power is off for more than five minutes.

We lost power for six minutes during hurricane Irma, so our grid is pretty good here for some reason.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    People in this thread continuously underestimate the value of CPUs in modern games. This isn't 2013 anymore. Xbox and PS4 have 8 full CPU cores. Games these days most definitely take good advantage of high core count CPUs.

CPUs were so hard to bottleneck with games for so long

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hell, I'm doing some video encoding right now, and let me tell you, 4 cores ain't enough for that shit.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just cracked open my PC to install a new SSD and now I'm getting spontaneous "device removed/device connected" noises every few seconds. I can't seem to isolate it to any of my peripherals, so I'm thinking maybe I jarred something loose inside the PC when I was poking around. Any other possible explanations?

EDIT: Yup, loose connection on my internal USB hub, fixed now.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I just cracked open my PC to install a new SSD and now I'm getting spontaneous "device removed/device connected" noises every few seconds. I can't seem to isolate it to any of my peripherals, so I'm thinking maybe I jarred something loose inside the PC when I was poking around. Any other possible explanations?

There are programs to log that and tell you what it's seeing connect/disconnect. I'd guess the USB header, myself.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Pro PC user tip: apparently after you clone a drive (say, using Samsung's Data Migration software to clone your old 500GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD) you need to right click on the drive and turn it on in the Windows Disk Management utility before you try and boot to it.

No, that didn't take me 2 hours to figure out. But now it might save you those hypothetical 2 hours that I definitely didn't waste banging my head against my BIOS.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Pro PC user tip: apparently after you clone a drive (say, using Samsung's Data Migration software to clone your old 500GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD) you need to right click on the drive and turn it on in the Windows Disk Management utility before you try and boot to it.

No, that didn't take me 2 hours to figure out. But now it might save you those hypothetical 2 hours that I definitely didn't waste banging my head against my BIOS.

I've done that, heh. I lucked out and went into Disk Manager to see if I had fucked up the partitions somehow and noticed the offline thing, though.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yeah, I know I've cringed when seeing things like "games dont use more than 2 threads" these days. Hell I went with it and bought an i5 in 2016 thinking it'd be fine, and largely it was fine, but thank god for Zen 2.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Yeah, I know I've cringed when seeing things like "games dont use more than 2 threads" these days. Hell I went with it and bought an i5 in 2016 thinking it'd be fine, and largely it was fine, but thank god for Zen 2.

So you guys are saying the 12 or even 16 core CPU might NOT be an insane overpurchase?

KiTA on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    For my purposes it definitely isn’t completely out of line

• Options
    edited June 2019
    KiTA wrote: »

So you guys are saying the 12 or even 16 core CPU might NOT be an insane overpurchase?

In June of 2019, yes. 16 cores is Overkill but not insane. In June of 2021 it likely won't be either. Back when the 2600k came out the same kind of people in this thread insisted that games would never take full advantage of all 4 cores and 8 threads. A few years later and consoles had 8 core CPUs and games started filling out useage graph in task manager.

I always tell people that you never want to build a gaming rig just to handle the games you play right now. You gotta think about what you're going to be playing over the next few years and build to that. We're getting a new generation of consoles in about a year which may well bump core counts again and at least will be featuring the new Ryzen 3000 architecture.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Reviews for the X570 motherboards can't come soon enough, because the fact that almost all of them will have fans is worrying.

I just hope there will be some with long lasting bearings, because once it fails the whole motherboard will need replacing.

The other alternative is that one fan less gigabyte board that looks very cool, but given the rumored high price and the company's products apparently have tendency to fail, is it really a viable option?

Actually that's another thing I'm upset about. The rumored prices of these motherboards is shit.

So when the fans do die it may potentially be another expensive if you have to either ship it for repair or just outright buy a new motherboard.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    https://videocardz.com/80966/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-picture-and-specs-leaked

RX5700xt leak? No idea if those numbers are good or not.

This discussion has been closed.