As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Cog wrote: »
    I can see why Bethesda did away with the dialogue trees and even most NPCs in a multiplayer context. But without them, it is hard to establish a satisfying link between what you have learned about the past and what is happening now.

I've said previously, the lack of dialogue trees and choices put all the questlines on rails. Your choices to interact with the plot are simply that: interact with it as it stands, or don't. There's no branching options, no morality based decisions, no feeling of connection to the world, no permanence in your decisions. You can't ask questions or bargain or negotiate or argue with dead people and holotapes. They don't play you off against each other.

That would be less of a problem if there were stronger survival mechanics to lean on, but it's awful light on those too, especially since construction is so impermanent.

Bethesda has been running away from conversation trees, skill checks, and branching pathways for awhile now. There was a time around Fallout 4 and Mass Effect 3 were released when you could tell that both Bioware and Bethesda thought the future was in streamlined NPC interaction like this one has, but the advent of the Witcher 3 and games like Assassin's Creed have showed that there is life in those old mechanics.

I think a lot of what's driving that is voice acting. Text is cheap.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Recruitment Blues is a trainwreck of bugs, especially the DMV part, I’ve tried logging in and out and it kicks me back further in the quest after I was stuck on shit that didnt work but now the earlier parts doesnt work either... well, shit.

Might be co-op related but I mean, this is supposed to be a co-op game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I can see why Bethesda did away with the dialogue trees and even most NPCs in a multiplayer context. But without them, it is hard to establish a satisfying link between what you have learned about the past and what is happening now.

I've said previously, the lack of dialogue trees and choices put all the questlines on rails. Your choices to interact with the plot are simply that: interact with it as it stands, or don't. There's no branching options, no morality based decisions, no feeling of connection to the world, no permanence in your decisions. You can't ask questions or bargain or negotiate or argue with dead people and holotapes. They don't play you off against each other.

That would be less of a problem if there were stronger survival mechanics to lean on, but it's awful light on those too, especially since construction is so impermanent.

Bethesda has been running away from conversation trees, skill checks, and branching pathways for awhile now. There was a time around Fallout 4 and Mass Effect 3 were released when you could tell that both Bioware and Bethesda thought the future was in streamlined NPC interaction like this one has, but the advent of the Witcher 3 and games like Assassin's Creed have showed that there is life in those old mechanics.

I mean, if Bethesda's plan is to keep selling Skyrim/Fallout 4 levels of copies while developing on the cheap, we probably won't have them around to kick much longer.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular

I mean, if Bethesda's plan is to keep selling Skyrim/Fallout 4 levels of copies while developing on the cheap, we probably won't have them around to kick much longer.

Dosn't 76 have more unique voice lines then any of the other games?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Some dude visitied Whitesprings and compared F76 ingame images to real images of the place.

https://imgur.com/a/ttQl4uj (Album on imgur)

Looks like they did their homework on that place.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    s

I did run across a skill check in the wild in 76. Examining a body for a quest popped up a notification that my Perception level let me notice the body was booby trapped. It’s the only one I’ve come across, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    s

I did run across a skill check in the wild in 76. Examining a body for a quest popped up a notification that my Perception level let me notice the body was booby trapped. It’s the only one I’ve come across, though.

There are a few rare ones in Fallout 4 as well. The ones in the U.S.S. Constitution come to mind. Maybe there’s a designer keeping the fire alive?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Those poor four voice actors used in every single Bethesda game.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It was a bit jarring hearing the orc/nord dude captaining a Federation cruiser in Star Trek: Legacy. Thankfully they finally got some DIRECTING for their voice acting so it can actually sound like different people on occasion.

Strikor on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I finally find Grahm for the first time, we kill a level 91 Glowing Deathclaw together.

Game freezes and crashes after opening his trade window.

Slightly fucking annoyed right now.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    How? How are you having SO MANY issues?

I get that there are bugs, but my goodness. I've been playing every free hour since the day after release and the worst bug I've had was some liberator bots that were flying up the sky somewhere and attacking me. One ghoul corpse with a mesh that went ballistic after I killed it. One daily quest that wouldn't complete until I logged out and back in. And once my quest log completely disappeared from my pipboy until I relogged. The occasional Gamebryo physics weirdness, of course.

I've crashed three times total. I get disconnected once in a while, but can generally play for several hours straight just fine.

I just can't wrap my head around the difference in experiences here while playing the same game.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

I get that there are bugs, but my goodness. I've been playing every free hour since the day after release and the worst bug I've had was some liberator bots that were flying up the sky somewhere and attacking me. One ghoul corpse with a mesh that went ballistic after I killed it. One daily quest that wouldn't complete until I logged out and back in. And once my quest log completely disappeared from my pipboy until I relogged. The occasional Gamebryo physics weirdness, of course.

I've crashed three times total. I get disconnected once in a while, but can generally play for several hours straight just fine.

I just can't wrap my head around the difference in experiences here while playing the same game.

I get disconnected at least once an hour. I don’t really bother with the camp or workshops anymore, because they usually don’t last long.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Eh, people are much more likely to remember major technical issues, especially when they fuck up quests, than they are to bother posting about minor glitches and such.

After playing the holy trinity of issue-laden RPG games (New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, and the unpatched original version of Vampire: Bloodlines) without any major issues beyond a few crashes, I'm resolved to the reality that other people may not have been blessed by my good fortune, though.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I’m assuming you are playing solo?

Playing co-op seems to add an additional layer of things that can go wrong, like quest chains not updating right and weird graphical glitches only visible to one of us at a time. (Like yesterday my friend was walking around in his power armor, only the armor was invisible and he looked like a Wendigo in tightey whities.)

The DMV part of a certain questline was also a nightmare in co-op.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have over 100 hours and probably a dozen hard crashes.

But somedays literally nothing goes wrong. And I haven't lost any progress in a while.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I’ve had the game crash twice and I have however many hours it’s taken me to get to 58.

Peoples experiences seem so starkly different I’m willing to bet it’s particular hardware interacting with the game that’s doing it. Graphics drivers or something.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I watched Book of Eli on Friday night, and for the past two days since then, I have been thinking of nothing but Fallout.

I don't own FO76, and from everything I've seen and read, both here and elsewhere on the internet, I'm not sure the game is ready for me to own it yet. Maybe I should just reinstall FO4 and it's expansions and play that instead? I never finished that game, nor did I really even touch any of the DLC despite owning the season pass. Maybe that's a better option?

Thoughts?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I watched Book of Eli on Friday night, and for the past two days since then, I have been thinking of nothing but Fallout.

I don't own FO76, and from everything I've seen and read, both here and elsewhere on the internet, I'm not sure the game is ready for me to own it yet. Maybe I should just reinstall FO4 and it's expansions and play that instead? I never finished that game, nor did I really even touch any of the DLC despite owning the season pass. Maybe that's a better option?

Thoughts?

If you haven't done the Fallout 4 dlc yet, I'd recommend doing those, especially Far Harbor.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Thoughts?
    Some of the early shots of ruined cities in Eli were fucking fantastic and made me think a lot of Fallout.

Fun movie.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    and then it got stupid.
    also like Fallout!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    One complaint and one piece of praise:

For a survival game, things are not scarce enough. Medical supplies, materials, food, water...it's all so easy to come by as to be pointless to worry about except in a few cases of specific rare materials. I would love a "hardcore" option on private servers where survival materials were much more scarce.

For the praise: The world and environment building in this are so good. It's such a damn shame so much of the other stuff is generating bad press that overshadows it. Bethesda brought it upon themselves, don't me wrong...but there is some incredible environment building and story telling going on here. Like when I wander in to a church and find dead bodies in the pews, with rat poison bottles and discarded drinking cups all over the place. Or another church that was full of drugs like Psycho. The environment artists at Bethesda put an incredible amount of love and care in to this world and it sucks their work is being overshadowed by bad corporate decisions.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Bethesda's always been really good at the environmental storytelling, the little dioramas.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The Luck perks to search things for extra loot make it so I dump masses of purified water and stimpacks to carry more clipboards and broken childrens toys

• Options
    I think I have 400 damage resistance.

Without my power armor.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Game bug or purposeful radbod sculpting?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Made a new guy (mainly to mule stuff, but then discovered I missed the robot that tells you to find the overseer on my main coop guy, so maybe he'll get some play time solo), but that was take 2. Take 1 disconnected me before I got out of the vault, so maybe it was a sign not to push my luck.

Hope the patches improve everything, I seemed to get more crashes on higher graphical settings at first so had it at medium. Put everything back on Ultra for the mule and made it to the Overseer's camp OK, but guess we'll see how long that lasts. Probably just lucky, doubt they did anything yet.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Bethesda's always been really good at the environmental storytelling, the little dioramas.

There's never been a better Fallout time period where it's worked better, too. It being only 25 years after the Great War and a few months since the last survivors died out helps suspend disbelief that no one else has found said dioramas. The scenes themselves are always really nice but there's some serious "wait, no one has found this in 200 years? C'mon" fridge logic problems in FO3 and FO4.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Its Vanguard legendaries (+45 DR at max HP), Barbarian rank 3 and Ironclad rank 5, all my legendary armor isnt even 50 yet.

So 384 DR and 299 ER and 360 HP right now with room to improve further.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited December 2018

There's never been a better Fallout time period where it's worked better, too. It being only 25 years after the Great War and a few months since the last survivors died out helps suspend disbelief that no one else has found said dioramas. The scenes themselves are always really nice but there's some serious "wait, no one has found this in 200 years? C'mon" fridge logic problems in FO3 and FO4.

The worldbuilding in 4 was generally sloppy to the point that it was hard to maintain a suspension of disbelief. I don't remember it being that bad in 3, but that was also set in an active warzone that allowed for other reasons for things to have stayed in such bad condition.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Little Lamplight in F3 was super confusing how like this weird kid orgy cave has had multiple generations of children in charge.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Little Lamplight in F3 was super confusing how like this weird kid orgy cave has had multiple generations of children in charge.

It was a Peter Pan thing. Local villages sent their kids there when they couldn't feed them, and they were expelled from the cave when they got too old. Wasn't that well done on the whole, but the general concept wasn't that out there.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Finally got that metal wall building set.

Too bad the wood windows are probably still the best of the bunch with their ability to open and close.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

The thing is, everyone else in the world has the respect to leave these dead people's homes alone to rest in peace. You're just the first sociopathic asshole to come along in a couple hundred years!

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    favorite new bug!

i killed a lvl 50 scortchbeast by kiting him to whitespring. The bots took offense to its barfing dps everywhere and assisted me in killing the beast. Looted him (all unusable trash unfortunately) and took a glamour shot with it. Well, good by scortchy the scortch beast, it was fun!

I fast travel to my camp. -pop- scortch beast corpse followed me. "HA HA 76 has bugs, nice to see you again scortchy. hows that corpse life treating you?"

I walk 1 town over and stop. -pop- Scorthy is here now. "this is less fun now scortchy.... you can remain dead."

I go in a mine in the scortch lands. an inside cell not even the overworld..... -pop- There he was.

Scortchy followed me like the ghost of a lover long in the past for about an hour. If I stopped moving for any length of time he would phase in. like a needle in your brain- the minute you get your mind free of it for a second -pop- Scortchy's corpse.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    you did this to me

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Everyone should have a pet scorchbeast corpse.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    s

There's also the ability to sink the barrels in the one Grafton event if you have enough agility. That's the only one I've run across so far.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Its Vanguard legendaries (+45 DR at max HP), Barbarian rank 3 and Ironclad rank 5, all my legendary armor isnt even 50 yet.

So 384 DR and 299 ER and 360 HP right now with room to improve further.

I was wondering if there was a legit way to make non power armor eventually even out with the DR of power armor. Since I had a character who got the power armor bug, I tried hard to make it work. But the problems is that it all came down to plans / mods. Without lucking out into better mods for armor it, un modded power armor just has it beat.

The mod difference became especially apparent to me when a friend made me a full set of lvl 50 combat armor. It was great. BUT, because I could turn my leather into studded leather / w mods, my leather in total still gave me better protection overall.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Just lost all 4 missile turrets to the ether? Tried to “repair all” and they didnt come back, they arent in storage either.

Good those things arent pricey as fuck...

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I wonder if any of these vanishing items are traceable. Like, is there an error log that shoes Serialis' account had 4 missile turrets go from 1 to 0?

Will they be able to reference that and go "Serialis, you lost some stuff to bugs, here's the resources"? Or is it just gone and there's no record of the items anywhere but your memory?

Anon the Felon on