As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

Any extra context to this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

My guess would be that Charlie Angus was calling for Wilson-Raybould to be fired from the Justice portfolio back in December (Wilson-Raybould is @Puglaas in that tweet, which I had to look up), and is probably now criticizing Trudeau for removing her from the Justice portfolio.

• Options
    Oh yeah sorry having spent a bunch of time no twitter where other people probably have not I should've explained that @Puglaas is JWR. While I'm not supposed to be surprised by hypocrisy in politics it's still fun to point it out.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    In a move that should surprise no one, Scheer's initial statement on the tragedy in New Zealand described it as an attack on "freedom" and "peaceful worshippers" without ever once mentioning it was, you know, Muslims. Because he has supporters that are basically AOK with attacks on Muslims and he didn't wanna seem too specifically sympathetic to them.

After getting shit on for a few hours, he had to issue an updated statement that specifically mentioned that the attack was on Muslims.
    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer issued two statements on the terrorist attacks in New Zealand on Friday -- the second after being criticized for not mentioning in the first that the attack was against Muslims at mosques during their Friday prayers.
    Scheer posted to Twitter and Facebook late Thursday evening in Canada as news of the attacks was reported, saying "freedom has come under attack" and mentioning "peaceful worshippers" and a "despicable act of evil."
    But the statement was condemned quickly online for failing to specify that the attack was on Muslims, during prayers at mosques. Some pointed to the fact he did name Coptic Christians and call out anti-Semitism in previous tweets when killers attacked Egyptian churches in 2017 and a synagogue in Pittsburgh last fall.

The National Council of Canadian Muslims criticized the omission in a statement Friday afternoon.
    Scheer's office did not respond to an initial query about the statement's not mentioning Muslims but after being asked about the statement from the National Council of Canadian Muslims, his spokesman responded with a link to a new statement on Scheer's Facebook page.

"As Canadians are learning the horrific details of last night's terror attack at two New Zealand mosques, I wish to express both my deep sadness at the tragic loss of innocent life and my profound condemnation of this cowardly and hateful attack on the Muslim community," it said.

It said Conservatives stand with Muslims around the world to "reaffirm our commitment to building a world where every people, of every faith, can live in freedom and peace together."
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/after-criticism-scheer-adds-word-muslim-to-statement-on-new-zealand-mosque-attacks-1.4338025

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Here's some news. An interesting person is looking to lead New Brunswick.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/kevin-vickers-running-liberal-leadership-1.5057728

Kevin Vickers, the Sergeant at Arms who foiled a shooter on Parliament Hill in 2014, will seek the New Brunswick Liberal leadership. While I will need to read up on him to get a sense of his actual policies and attitudes, he'll almost definitely be better than the previous dud, and on first glance he certainly seems to have a decent chance at both the leadership and the premiership.
    More on this as it develops, I suppose.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So Brian Mulroney was on Tout le monde en parle, a very popular politics show on Radio-Canada. During his interview, he said his daughter (who signed off on Doug Ford's plan to defund Ontario's francophone university without question or argument) was the best person to defend Ontario's francophone community, and dismissed Amanda Simard (who resigned from the OPC over it) as a "little girl".

(French link)

There goes the respect I used to have for him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So Brian Mulroney was on Tout le monde en parle, a very popular politics show on Radio-Canada. During his interview, he said his daughter (who signed off on Doug Ford's plan to defund Ontario's francophone university without question or argument) was the best person to defend Ontario's francophone community, and dismissed Amanda Simard (who resigned from the OPC over it) as a "little girl".

(French link)

You had respect for him? Why?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

My guess would be that Charlie Angus was calling for Wilson-Raybould to be fired from the Justice portfolio back in December (Wilson-Raybould is @Puglaas in that tweet, which I had to look up), and is probably now criticizing Trudeau for removing her from the Justice portfolio.

Him and 20 others. Star or G&M had an article about it and the general failure of the opposition to be useful or meaningful.

• Options
    Lots of backroom politics coming to light in Alberta, though I don't know how much impact it will actually have on the election. Jason Kenney basically co-ordinated the torpedoing of his main leadership challenger's campaign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-callaway-campaigns-collaborated-against-brian-jean-1.5059899

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Lots of backroom politics coming to light in Alberta, though I don't know how much impact it will actually have on the election. Jason Kenney basically co-ordinated the torpedoing of his main leadership challenger's campaign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-callaway-campaigns-collaborated-against-brian-jean-1.5059899

He's still going to get in.

God I hate this province sometimes.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

(French link)

You had respect for him? Why?

He negotiated our nation's first free-trade deal before the WTO even was a thing, introduced the GST because we needed it even though creating a new national tax was hugely unpopular, tried to update the constitution which failed but still required vision and guts, and he stood up to Reagan and Tatcher when they wanted to label Mandela a terrorist.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Privy Council clerk Wernick is retiring.

I doubt this will do anything to quell the questions from the SNC Lavalin issue.

Also I have to say I really hate that Kenney is just such a sure shot to win the election...outside of some massive mistakes it's annoying how Alberta just sticks with the Conservatives.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

I doubt this will do anything to quell the questions from the SNC Lavalin issue.

Also I have to say I really hate that Kenney is just such a sure shot to win the election...outside of some massive mistakes it's annoying how Alberta just sticks with the Conservatives.

Albertans, in my experience as one, have done a fantastic job of self-propagandizing. There is absolute belief in the corrupt nature of Liberals, of the pipe dreaming of the NDP, that the only practical option is the Conservative party. It's all total horseshit, of course, but it's an unshakeable belief. Believe me, I've tried.

EDIT: Like, I'm STILL shocked that the NDP won the last provincial election. I was utterly stunned at that result, and I have absolutely zero hope of a repeat.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    I know there were a lot of reasons behind the NDP victory in Alberta, but some of the standout moments were things like the Wildrose "lake of fire" crazies scaring people away as well as Prentice basically shooting his party in the foot by blaming Albertans for the poor economy in the final run up to the election. So there is still a chance that the UCP could trip all over themselves in a similar manner, but I think the NDP will still have a strong showing since they've got a lot of support in the cities...they just need to stay away from shooting themselves in the foot while making sure people are aware of the UCP shenanigans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is it wrong to want the election to come faster just so that I don't have to read about this stupid SNC-Lavalin issue anymore?

Like I get that JWR will more than likely not get a second chance to give testimony. I get that the Liberals will keep on trying other forms on damage control until something else big enough lands to distract from the issue. Until one of those two things happen I'm just going to have to read about it on the frontpage of the CBC/Toronto Star while more important things keep from being covered.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular

The big question is: Is Charlie Angus still in favour of Wernick losing his job, or has he changed his mind?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Remember, Alberta had a Premier who got drunk, got driven to a homeless shelter, threw money at the residents while yelling at them to get a job. After an incredibly paint by numbers apology, he was re-elected.
    To be fair, look at who my province elected, a rich bloke who thinks that if the Liberals passed ‘don’t punch babies’ legislation, he’d repeal it.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I know there were a lot of reasons behind the NDP victory in Alberta, but some of the standout moments were things like the Wildrose "lake of fire" crazies scaring people away as well as Prentice basically shooting his party in the foot by blaming Albertans for the poor economy in the final run up to the election. So there is still a chance that the UCP could trip all over themselves in a similar manner, but I think the NDP will still have a strong showing since they've got a lot of support in the cities...they just need to stay away from shooting themselves in the foot while making sure people are aware of the UCP shenanigans.

Kenney is awful, and his hand-picked candidates keep making news for all the wrong reasons.

https://pressprogress.ca/ucp-candidate-complained-white-supremacist-terrorists-are-treated-unfairly-leaked-messages-show/

Albertans -are- majority conservative, but a lot of us claim it's entirely about taxes and spending, not social conservatism. Like, I'm preparing for a UCP government, but I no longer think it's the sure thing it was two years ago.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    As much as I rail against strategic voting, I wonder if the ANDP will be the strategic vote to go for in the next AB election.

Also who the hell to go with federally?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    In my solid blue riding I'm going to have to vote Liberal. I've heard the NDP doesn't tend to run strong candidates here anyway, so it's pretty much either Liberal or Conservative on the federal level.

My next provincial election might be interesting. My MPP is Darryl Plecas, the BC Liberal (remember: conservative) who broke ranks with the party when he agreed to be Speaker of the House, giving the NDP/Green alliance a majority vote. I don't know if he's planning to run again, but if he does, it'll probably have to be as an independent. He's burned all bridges with the BC Liberals at this point and they'll absolutely try to run a different candidate. Abby voters are pretty stubborn, though, so the right-leaning vote might split in that case.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    AB Election was called yesterday! Notley smells blood in the water, but will it be enough?! Ipsos doesn't think so, but neither did anybody else in 2015!

Advance polls open April 9-13, and election day is April 16!

https://elections.ab.ca/?gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IWTmoRnjmcWo5cAUz3LyUxwMbLOFB-oKZ3Xa7Oh9KpG_Dve4jedBMBoCVBIQAvD_BwE

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Godspeed Alberta NDP! Hopefully your opponent having absolutely no morals to speak of works in your favour somehow!

• Options
    Alberta election called, voters face stark choice between environmental devastation and environmental devastation with slightly better schools

My favourite bit:
    It’s assumed Alberta’s other parties also responded to the election being called, but no one attended their press conferences so it’s impossible to know.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't have a link but an article on the Alberta election said that most polling organizations aren't doing anything with the Alberta election because it is too unpredictable, aka they screwed up their predictions so bad in the last few elections they don't want egg on their face again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    For those who aren't in Calgary you missed this gem of terrible from the UCP.

https://pressprogress.ca/ucp-candidate-complained-white-supremacist-terrorists-are-treated-unfairly-leaked-messages-show/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/caylan-ford-resigns-ucp-candidate-1.5062198

She was going to run for UCP in my riding and she was doing door to door campaigning. My wife talked to her briefly but told her due to the UCPs position on many social issues we would never vote for them.

Love the fact that Kenney recruited her personally and got her to move from Ontario to run in Calgary.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's about what I'd expect from the UCP.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Oh and of course this gush about her before all this happened from the Calgary Herald (post media)...
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-from-human-rights-to-film-to-politics-caylan-ford-is-a-force-of-nature

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The same writer has a piece up today about how all the grannies in Alberta will be so happy when the evil carbon tax stops.

Excuse me while my eyes roll out of my head.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    The same writer has a piece up today about how all the grannies in Alberta will be so happy when the evil carbon tax stops.

Excuse me while my eyes roll out of my head.

The reality is that the NDP policies are, by and large, widely popular if you strip the party affiliation from them.

The carbon tax is the one that isn't, because people hear 'tax' and immediately have heart palpitations.

So carbon tax, and hammering on the 'the NDP have the worst economic record since the great depression!' (not true) are the UCP's best way forward.

Their biggest struggle is that Notley is more popular than Kenney, even if the UCP are more popular than the NDP. Very few people like him or trust him. But they see him as 'tough' which I imagine means they're expecting him to hold his breath until the rest of Canada lets us have our pipelines. They also rank him slightly higher in terms of 'competence', which is why the UCP needs to keep pretending that the NDP have been massive failures. Luckily for them, aside from the Star, the media in Alberta is all too willing to help him out.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Québec provincial budget is in! Still going over it, but highlights include a budget surplus somewhere between $2B and $5B, depending on who you ask, and plans to stay in the black for their entire mandate. There's a new pilot program to help driving schools move to electric vehicles, which according to the electric-car advocates in my newsfeed will greatly speed up transition to electric cars because "once you drive an electric car, you can't go back to fuel". Also a new service to facilitate access to government databanks for researchers, which is good news because, frankly, Québec has been lagging in that respect compared to other provinces.

EDIT: There's $100M for AI research channeled through four major research agencies.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Québec provincial budget is in! Still going over it, but highlights include a budget surplus somewhere between $2B and $5B, depending on who you ask, and plans to stay in the black for their entire mandate. There's a new pilot program to help driving schools move to electric vehicles, which according to the electric-car advocates in my newsfeed will greatly speed up transition to electric cars because "once you drive an electric car, you can't go back to fuel". Also a new service to facilitate access to government databanks for researchers, which is good news because, frankly, Québec has been lagging in that respect compared to other provinces.

Light Googling says that Quebec has a right(ish) wing government? What's the catch here?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Light Googling says that Quebec has a right(ish) wing government? What's the catch here?

They are right-wing, but not alt-right. They're akin to the PC of olden days.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    EDIT: Never mind.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Eh, even without the raging 'crush the other' coming out of the US right-wing, I'm still not seeing the massive budget deficits and deregulation that I'm used to.

Just saying, I'm jealous of you guys.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    EDIT: There's $100M for AI research channeled through four major research agencies.

That would be very good for AI research and maintaining Montréal's dominance if they were not also making it harder to bring and keep researchers here.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

That would be very good for AI research and maintaining Montréal's dominance if they were not also making it harder to bring and keep researchers here.

How do you mean? I see $38M over five years earmarked explicitly for attracting AI researchers and supporting doctoral and post-doctoral AI training. The accompanying text explicitly says international competition for these people is increasing and Québec must step up to remain competitive.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Eh, even without the raging 'crush the other' coming out of the US right-wing, I'm still not seeing the massive budget deficits and deregulation that I'm used to.

Oh if you want see that, just look a little to the west at Ontario. Last I checked, Ford’s trying to privatize our healthcare or drive us closer to that than we currently are.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Oh if you want see that, just look a little to the west at Ontario. Last I checked, Ford’s trying to privatize our healthcare or drive us closer to that than we currently are.

Also fucking with education.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

How do you mean? I see $38M over five years earmarked explicitly for attracting AI researchers and supporting doctoral and post-doctoral AI training. The accompanying text explicitly says international competition for these people is increasing and Québec must step up to remain competitive.
    Then they try to stay in Québec, and can't, because the same government is preventing them from getting their PR. Even if they got their PhD here.

This discussion has been closed.