As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    what part of that gives a metroid prime vibe? just the visor HUD?

I just saw the thumbnail and was like "Heck Yeah! Metroid!" and then I clicked play and promptly stopped caring.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Yes! on the Guacamelee! 2 news! I bought it originally on Steam and it was a janky pile of crap on my medium-high end PC, so I'm glad it's coming with a bit of a discount.

In other "Steam games which I'd rather play on Switch" news, Prodeus got announced and I can't friggin' wait...

https://youtube.com/embed/UwHRPVrZVgM

Edit: frig I forgot how to embed.

I got you fam.

https://youtu.be/UwHRPVrZVgM
    Boy, that's a lot of blood.

(It's interesting how as a young man I was like "Fukkin' yeah Mortal Kombat Did Nothing Wrong, let them rip spines you cowards", etc etc, and now as a boring 34-year-old I'm like "Goodness, is all this blood really necessary?". I look forward to being in my 70s and just having my monocle drop into my tea/having my bow-tie spin like a propeller 24/7.)

Oh man, what did you think of Mortal Kombat X?
    Is that the one that did the x-ray mega-gore to show you all the bones you crunch and the juicy vittles you pulp with your hits? I never actually played any Mortal Kombat past the first two or three games (turns out I'm very invested in the characters and not at all invested in the game, which - now that I think about - is how I feel about every fighting game ever made), so I don't know how playing it would have felt, but seeing video clips elicited a fairly even mix of the following thoughts:
    - "This is just unpleasant to look at."
    - "This feels like it's just intentionally courting controversy. Clickbait-as-design-choice."
    - "Honestly, this kind of art should probably exist, regardless of my personal feelings about it."
    - "This is so over the top that it's kinda goofy, which I'm sure is intentional."

I feel like maturing sensibilities about creative expression is just thinking "This should exist, but I have no desire to ever interact with it" over and over again.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Holy crap.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Switch deserves its success. It's game library is on track to really outdo the Wii in just about every category. The first party stuff is as good as its ever been, but third parties are bringing great games instead of wagglefest shovelware.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I haven't flatly enjoyed a console experience as much since, probably the PS2

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

cloudeagle wrote: »

The big question is will Nintendo hit their 20m FY 2018 goal. Six months into FY 2018 and they'd only sold 5m. It certainly helps if they sold, lets say 1m Switches in America over Thanksgiving. But they still have an enormous amount of ground to cover to meet their goal. A goal that analyst have universally revised downward, even as Nintendo has reiterated their faith in it as recently as September.

I'm rooting for them. But boy, it's going to be amazing if they pull off 15m Switches sold between Oct-Dec 2018. Or at least get close enough to it that Jan-Mar 2019 (which technically counts as FY 2018) can make up the gap. Historically sales fall off a cliff after Christmas. Jan-March 2018 they sold about 3m Switches in that timespan.

Whatever happens, Reggie confirmed what we all suspected and said that a full 60 percent of Nintendo's sales happen in October, November and December.

edited November 2018
    Whatever happens, Reggie confirmed what we all suspected and said that a full 60 percent of Nintendo's sales happen in October, November and December.

That puts it in the realm of possibility. That would peg them at 12m for Oct-Dec, 5m already sold for April-Sept, leaving 3 million to be sold Jan-March as happened last year.

Namrok on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    When the frig did Spintires:Mudrunner get ported to Switch? HOW did it get ported to Switch??

Looking at reviews it is the full game with nothing snipped out and it looks amazing. Think now is the time for me to finally grab it.

I've seen videos of this game. Are there actual missions or objectives to complete, or is it simply just 'Drive this old truck through mud until you get stuck?'

From what I've seen there are missions (Go collect X number logs, Get Y unstuck from Z) but most of the fun is just in driving around, getting stuck, then getting unstuck. Supposed to be a super chill experience.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Smash Bros and Pokémon should help them achieve those numbers. December is going to be a crazy month for them.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yes! on the Guacamelee! 2 news! I bought it originally on Steam and it was a janky pile of crap on my medium-high end PC, so I'm glad it's coming with a bit of a discount.

In other "Steam games which I'd rather play on Switch" news, Prodeus got announced and I can't friggin' wait...

https://youtube.com/embed/UwHRPVrZVgM

Edit: frig I forgot how to embed.

I got you fam.

https://youtu.be/UwHRPVrZVgM
    Boy, that's a lot of blood.

(It's interesting how as a young man I was like "Fukkin' yeah Mortal Kombat Did Nothing Wrong, let them rip spines you cowards", etc etc, and now as a boring 34-year-old I'm like "Goodness, is all this blood really necessary?". I look forward to being in my 70s and just having my monocle drop into my tea/having my bow-tie spin like a propeller 24/7.)

I just spit out my coffee, thank you.

what part of that gives a metroid prime vibe? just the visor HUD?

Yeah just the visor HUD. I love how claustrophobic it makes it feel.

Namrok wrote: »

That puts it in the realm of possibility. That would peg them at 12m for Oct-Dec, 5m already sold for April-Sept, leaving 3 million to be sold Jan-March as happened last year.

Woops, should have specified America's sales. Still, that's a huge chunk of the company's worldwide revenue.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    A bunch of my IRL friends picked up Switches this past week - for Octopath, for Pokemon, and for Smash - but it's good to see that what I'm seeing in my little corner of the world is reflective of a greater trend. Everyone needs one of these things. It's wonderful.

I continue to blast through Hollow Knight, which is perfect (by which I mean perfect for the system and just, like, perfect overall), but I have dozens of other games I can/plan to pick up over the next couple of... years(?), and the list just keeps growing.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I do wonder if Pokemon sales might be a bit staggered. It looks like first week sales under performed other Pokemon games. And it's not hard to imagine why. The Switch has a smaller install base than the 3DS or GBA. It's not a mainline Pokemon game.

But I also think a lot of people were sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if it was actually good. I know I was. It was somewhat unclear to me how much of a game it still was. Was this a slightly built out Pokemon Go? Or a slightly streamlined Pokemon Yellow? Where exactly is it falling on that spectrum?

Almost universally I've heard it's a legitimately good Pokemon game. I see long time Pokemon fans saying how it's spoiled them. How they never want to go back to battling wild pokemon, not being able to see them in the game world, along with a slew of other quality of life improvements.

As someone who bounced off Pokemon Y and that's the only Pokemon I've played, I actually find trying to time the new capture mechanics a lot more engaging than trying to mash the A button as fast as possible to speed through turn based random trash encounters. And not being forced to fight when I don't want to is just as nice a QOL improvement as adjusting the encounter rate in Bravely Default was.

So I'm wondering if Pokemon Let's Go might have some sort of double bump sales distribution. One up front, and another as it catches on that the game is no joke actually good.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I do wonder if Pokemon sales might be a bit staggered. It looks like first week sales under performed other Pokemon games. And it's not hard to imagine why. The Switch has a smaller install base than the 3DS or GBA. It's not a mainline Pokemon game.

But I also think a lot of people were sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if it was actually good. I know I was. It was somewhat unclear to me how much of a game it still was. Was this a slightly built out Pokemon Go? Or a slightly streamlined Pokemon Yellow? Where exactly is it falling on that spectrum?

Almost universally I've heard it's a legitimately good Pokemon game. I see long time Pokemon fans saying how it's spoiled them. How they never want to go back to battling wild pokemon, not being able to see them in the game world, along with a slew of other quality of life improvements.

As someone who bounced off Pokemon Y and that's the only Pokemon I've played, I actually find trying to time the new capture mechanics a lot more engaging than trying to mash the A button as fast as possible to speed through turn based random trash encounters. And not being forced to fight when I don't want to is just as nice a QOL improvement as adjusting the encounter rate in Bravely Default was.

So I'm wondering if Pokemon Let's Go might have some sort of double bump sales distribution. One up front, and another as it catches on that the game is no joke actually good.

It's also 60 bucks instead of 40, with a $50 peripheral that you know little Johnny or Jenny is going to be begging for, and it takes a $300 console. Compared to $80 2DS + $40 previous Pokemon games, there may be a little bit of sticker shock on the part of parents everywhere.

I imagine it's going to sell like mad in the long run. :)

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Eevee is just that adorable. What are they going to do with all the unsold copies with that gross yellow rat on it?

Yeah it's on my Christmas list. With Smash coming up next week I figured I didn't need to pick up a new game.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah it's on my Christmas list. With Smash coming up next week I figured I didn't need to pick up a new game.

Ditto. I was totally uninterested in it, and now I'm really excited to get to it - once I actually have time to get to it. Not happening before Smash, and I'd appreciate a price drop, too.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Eevee is just that adorable. What are they going to do with all the unsold copies with that gross yellow rat on it?

I think they're both awful. The eeveelutions are ok, but the base thing is garbage.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Switch deserves its success. It's game library is on track to really outdo the Wii in just about every category. The first party stuff is as good as its ever been, but third parties are bringing great games instead of wagglefest shovelware.

Honestly I feel this way all around this generation. I have enjoyed gaming more than I have in years because of the Switch/PS4 combo at my house. Both consoles have been firing on all cylinders bringing some of the best games I've played. Nintendo has given some of the best iterations of their games ever and even fixed my biggest problem with the last couple Mario Parties.

Nintendo and Sony honestly deserve every bit of praise and money they have earned this generation.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Noggin wrote: »
    I’m curious about hyrule/fire emblem warriors but neither have a demo. Only thing I can find like it is a dragon quest heroes 2 demo on PS4, and some are saying that’s not even that similar?

Basically I’m wondering if DQH2 would help me predict if I’d like either of those warriors games, or if there’s any other way I could try something like them?? I’m guessing the stores won’t have demos either.

If you have a WiiU or 3DS you can probably get the non-definitive version pretty cheap.

EDIT: Stupid draft function. I didn't post this originally because I looked it up and it turns out used copied of Hyrule Warriors WiiU and 3DS aren't actually cheap at all they're still like $40. I love the shit out of the game though, and I'd never played a Warriors game before. I have Fire Emblem Warriors, I bought the collector's edition, but I haven't actually opened it yet for some reason even though I totally intend to. I've got over 300 hours in HW:DE, though, and that's after 200 hours in the WiiU version.

You mean the fuzzy adorable teddy bear voiced by Ryan Reynolds?

I imagine they will do just fine.

Taramoor on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This just seems like a poorly timed article considering the smash success Nintendo had over this past weekend.
    With few attractive titles for the holiday shopping season and shipments on track to fall short of the company’s targets, doubts are growing whether Nintendo Co.’s (NTDOY.PK) Switch can ever become a mass-market product.

So far, the Switch has struggled to find customers beyond a core fan base. The Switch is on track to reach 35 million unit shipments by March, according to the average of eight analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg, short of Nintendo’s target of 38 million.

“All great consoles need a great second year, and Nintendo hasn’t delivered one for the Switch,” said Cornelio Ash, an analyst at William O’Neil & Co. in Los Angeles. “Investors thought over five years they could sell maybe 90 million units. But after this year, that’s looking pretty much impossible.”

“The stock is heading back to the level when the Switch was announced, which doesn’t say great things about its long-term prospects,” Ash said.

This year’s biggest disappointment has been Nintendo Labo, the cardboard add-ons that transform the Switch into playable objects. Like the Wii, they were designed to appeal to non gamers to broaden the device’s customers beyond core fans. But sales have struggled. Last month, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa told reporters in Osaka that “it will take time” to see if the product delivers.

“2018 was a reality check and brought lofty expectations back down to Earth,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities Inc. “The Switch is great, but is still primarily a handheld, and a very expensive one.”

That opens the possibility of price cuts. History suggests reductions will have to be aggressive in order to work. Sales of the 3DS picked up only after prices were slashed by 40 per cent five months after launch, but the Wii U didn’t recover even after Nintendo dropped the price by about 15 per cent within a year after release.

“I don’t see sales growing unless the price is reduced to below US$200,” Pachter said, indicating a 33 per cent cut from the Switch’s current price.

While a lower price sticker would help boost Switch sales, it may further depress sales of the 3DS.

Another possibility is the introduction of different hardware versions, such as one designed for children.

Apart from potential price cuts and new models, the other key to regaining momentum will be new games. Nintendo is planning big releases next year, including a new Animal Crossing game, a Pokemon title and the latest installment of its Metroid series. Whether that can broaden the install base beyond core gamers remains to be seen.

“The Switch excitement has rapidly declined, ” Ash said. “Unless there’s significant change or something else new, the Switch story has been exhausted.”

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/nintendo-switch-loses-shine-as-killer-product-for-new-gaming-era-1.1174252

Poorly timed and kind of an idiotic take for people payed to keep track of this stuff. Then again, we know that every success of Nintendo needs to be followed by Doom.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you people can bet that there's gonna be a lot of switches with Pokemon Let's Go wrapped up under xmas trees come december.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Honestly I feel this way all around this generation. I have enjoyed gaming more than I have in years because of the Switch/PS4 combo at my house. Both consoles have been firing on all cylinders bringing some of the best games I've played. Nintendo has given some of the best iterations of their games ever and even fixed my biggest problem with the last couple Mario Parties.

Nintendo and Sony honestly deserve every bit of praise and money they have earned this generation.

Heck yeah, Sony has been killing it with their exclusives lately. And that's been pushing XBox to step up and bankroll more games (via dev acquisitions). It's a great time to be a console gamer.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This just seems like a poorly timed article considering the smash success Nintendo had over this past weekend.
    With few attractive titles for the holiday shopping season and shipments on track to fall short of the company’s targets, doubts are growing whether Nintendo Co.’s (NTDOY.PK) Switch can ever become a mass-market product.

So far, the Switch has struggled to find customers beyond a core fan base. The Switch is on track to reach 35 million unit shipments by March, according to the average of eight analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg, short of Nintendo’s target of 38 million.

“All great consoles need a great second year, and Nintendo hasn’t delivered one for the Switch,” said Cornelio Ash, an analyst at William O’Neil & Co. in Los Angeles. “Investors thought over five years they could sell maybe 90 million units. But after this year, that’s looking pretty much impossible.”

“The stock is heading back to the level when the Switch was announced, which doesn’t say great things about its long-term prospects,” Ash said.

This year’s biggest disappointment has been Nintendo Labo, the cardboard add-ons that transform the Switch into playable objects. Like the Wii, they were designed to appeal to non gamers to broaden the device’s customers beyond core fans. But sales have struggled. Last month, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa told reporters in Osaka that “it will take time” to see if the product delivers.

“2018 was a reality check and brought lofty expectations back down to Earth,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities Inc. “The Switch is great, but is still primarily a handheld, and a very expensive one.”

That opens the possibility of price cuts. History suggests reductions will have to be aggressive in order to work. Sales of the 3DS picked up only after prices were slashed by 40 per cent five months after launch, but the Wii U didn’t recover even after Nintendo dropped the price by about 15 per cent within a year after release.

“I don’t see sales growing unless the price is reduced to below US$200,” Pachter said, indicating a 33 per cent cut from the Switch’s current price.

While a lower price sticker would help boost Switch sales, it may further depress sales of the 3DS.

Another possibility is the introduction of different hardware versions, such as one designed for children.

Apart from potential price cuts and new models, the other key to regaining momentum will be new games. Nintendo is planning big releases next year, including a new Animal Crossing game, a Pokemon title and the latest installment of its Metroid series. Whether that can broaden the install base beyond core gamers remains to be seen.

“The Switch excitement has rapidly declined, ” Ash said. “Unless there’s significant change or something else new, the Switch story has been exhausted.”

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/nintendo-switch-loses-shine-as-killer-product-for-new-gaming-era-1.1174252

Poorly timed and kind of an idiotic take for people payed to keep track of this stuff. Then again, we know that every success of Nintendo needs to be followed by Doom.

Only 35 million in 2 years? What a fucking failure. In fact, I'm throwing mine in the garbage right now, that's how much of a disgusting failure it is.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Pachter is still making up bullshit huh?

Heck yeah, Sony has been killing it with their exclusives lately. And that's been pushing XBox to step up and bankroll more games (via dev acquisitions). It's a great time to be a console gamer.

And now bitcoin mining is slowing down so graphics cards are coming down in price for pc gamers.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Only 35 million in 2 years? What a fucking failure. In fact, I'm throwing mine in the garbage right now, that's how much of a disgusting failure it is.

That kind of failure makes me want to throw mine in the trash, then buy another one to throw in the trash.

GET FUCKING DOOMED NINTENDO!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh it's Michael Pachter? Okay nevermind, then, everyone!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Pachter is still making up bullshit huh?

Day ending in Y, etc, etc.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It hasn't even been two years yet and it hit 35 million... it has bypassed what the PS4 sold at its two year mark (30.5 million) and these asshats are calling it a failure and only getting the core market? What are they smoking?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    “The Switch is great, but is still primarily a handheld, and a very expensive one.”

This is so untrue. Nintendo far and away succeeded in making a hybrid system. It truly is the best of both worlds and has enough support to make up for the AAA games it’s missing due to power/fear from developers.

Oh, and the split Joy Con playstyle is legit amazing. I have a hard time going back to handcuff controllers.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    I’m curious about hyrule/fire emblem warriors but neither have a demo. Only thing I can find like it is a dragon quest heroes 2 demo on PS4, and some are saying that’s not even that similar?

Basically I’m wondering if DQH2 would help me predict if I’d like either of those warriors games, or if there’s any other way I could try something like them?? I’m guessing the stores won’t have demos either.

If you have a WiiU or 3DS you can probably get the non-definitive version pretty cheap.

EDIT: Stupid draft function. I didn't post this originally because I looked it up and it turns out used copied of Hyrule Warriors WiiU and 3DS aren't actually cheap at all they're still like $40. I love the shit out of the game though, and I'd never played a Warriors game before. I have Fire Emblem Warriors, I bought the collector's edition, but I haven't actually opened it yet for some reason even though I totally intend to. I've got over 300 hours in HW:DE, though, and that's after 200 hours in the WiiU version.

I didn’t have access to a demo for it but tried the Dragon Quest one, which did seem pretty different. Wasn’t really sold on that one, but it was enough to keep me curious about the others.

It’s hard to tell from just videos because I’ve only really seen poorly recorded ones so far.

Thanks for your input on it though!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Switch is primarily a handheld that I play exclusively on my tv while sitting on my couch.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    You know I had to get Hyrule Warriors on sale now that all the extra content is wrapped up in a package. I don't understand why there's no rumblings of a sequel or of a new Nintendo IP Musou.

Absalon on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Switch is primarily a handheld that I play exclusively on my tv while sitting on my couch.

I pretty much play it as a handheld around the house :winky:

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Remember this is based on investor's perspective. According to them, BLOPS IV just failed, and ActiBlizz is circling the drain. For shareholders it's not good enough to succeed, you need to post astronomical growth. Similarly anything that isn't an original Wii or DS probably isn't "mainstream", i.e. something that hordes of non-"gamers" own.

I do actually expect them to push the handheld side, price cuts and all, next year somehow. They need to get Pokemon 2019 into more kids' hands, and they need to pre-empt 2020 Sony and MS machines making it look really outdated as a home console. Especially since both of them are probably going to have handheld streaming solutions of some kind.

rahkeesh2000 on