Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    In my mind, I was confusing Rune Factory with Factorio (ew ugly art), and now I'm a bit hype for Rune Factory. I didn't really get hooked on Story of Seasons on the 3DS tho. It might be that SDV is enough farming life sim for me, but otherwise I'd probably like RF.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Here's a reddit post explaining the scoring/attack combos and targeting mechanics of Tetris 99. Badges are basically your loot, the more you have you get bonuses to your garbage block attacks.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/aqgmwk/how_to_win_at_tetris_99_battle_royale_mechanics/

Also looking at pro footage linked in that post it's nuts how fast they are.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    akjak wrote: »
    In my mind, I was confusing Rune Factory with Factorio (ew ugly art), and now I'm a bit hype for Rune Factory. I didn't really get hooked on Story of Seasons on the 3DS tho. It might be that SDV is enough farming life sim for me, but otherwise I'd probably like RF.

In my experience farming is pretty ignorable in Rune Factories. They are a lot more JRPG-leaning with stories and quests.

For example Rune Factory 3 was about a town of humans and a town of monsters and how they hated each other. You as the main character are a were-sheep and being part human and part monster you are uniquely positioned to help foster peace between them while also dealing with a greater threat (of course).

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny had you traveling an ocean on the back of a titan (which you also farmed on), going to different islands and vessels and such. And the protagonist was a male and female sharing the same body. I'm not really sure how that worked out gameplay-wise.

So there's a bit more to it conceptually than Stardew, for good or ill.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Who knew that Tetris would work so well in the battle royale genre?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Who knew that Tetris would work so well in the battle royale genre?

What's interesting is watching a crazy master playing and seeing that even in spite of our comparative differences, I can still regularly get into the top 10 along with him. I don't know if I'll ever get #1 but it's heartening to climb that ladder anyway.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zunde wrote: »
    Yeah i'm willing to give it a chance because as you say 3rd time could be the charm.

It helps that it looks like Oninaki is a lot different gameplay wise than I Am Setsuna/Lost Sphear, which hopefully may play to the studio's advantages instead. It looks like it might be good.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    nusu wrote: »
    I have a Tetris 99 stream going in the background at work purely for the music.

It's good but man I would like some audio options. Volume controls, mute music if you want, especially give me musics B and C. Maybe alternatively the Game Boy originals?

I went looking to mute it so I could pull this up for a game instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Also needs options in general. I want to play in teams with friends!

Sounds like you just detailed the season pass options for Nintendo (should they wish to add quarterly Tetris 99 battle/season passes).

Also, my wife is so much better at Tetris than I am. In her first try last night, she got into the top 15. She hadn’t played Tetris in years.

nusu on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They backpedaled hard on farming in Rune Factory because of the backlash from the early titles - they forced it on you pretty hard on Rune Factory 1 and it came as such a detriment to the game that if they did it that way again it probably would have killed the franchise on the second entry. It's no fun having to farm for months in-game to have enough food/energy to do one dungeon - which you then find out you can't do because the dungeon is in the middle of a lake that you can only cross during the winter when the water is frozen over good luck next game year you fucking chump. Or dungeons where there are locked doors that only open if you grow crops in the plots inside the dungeon because okay sure.

Nowadays farming is more relevant to village events and contests and making gigantic amounts of money than story progression, which I'm pretty fine with really.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yeah i'm willing to give it a chance because as you say 3rd time could be the charm.

It helps that it looks like Oninaki is a lot different gameplay wise than I Am Setsuna/Lost Sphear, which hopefully may play to the studio's advantages instead. It looks like it might be good.

I'm not sure that's how playing to your strengths works :?

I mean if a studio makes 2 or 3 turn based strategy games and then switches to an RTS, I'd be hard pressed to claim the RTS might be better because now they are playing to their strengths. Why would I even believe that? What is the basis for claiming that after the entire lifetime of a studio is invested in turn based games, maybe real time is where their actual strength lies?

Did they hire a producer from a famed action rpg? Was one of the founders such a person and I don't know it?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Rune Factory is certainly a series that improves with each installment.

Hell, I still go back a play Rune Factory 4 every so often.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Probably the best reaction so far to the two very different Tetris games that came out within months of each other:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Namrok wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'm not sure that's how playing to your strengths works :?

I mean if a studio makes 2 or 3 turn based strategy games and then switches to an RTS, I'd be hard pressed to claim the RTS might be better because now they are playing to their strengths. Why would I even believe that? What is the basis for claiming that after the entire lifetime of a studio is invested in turn based games, maybe real time is where their actual strength lies?

Did they hire a producer from a famed action rpg? Was one of the founders such a person and I don't know it?

going from real time/ATB party rpg to single party member action rpg might be easier for them to design a more interesting encounter design is what I was getting at. all the gameplay i've experienced from their other RPG output felt really dull and overcomplicated to try and mask "We don't know what we're doing or why the things we're trying to emulate were good". your example above is a little hyperbolic about the shift in what oninaki is compared to their other RPGs.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Looks like that mega huge Dead Cells patch just hit the Switch version

https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

Factorio might not be pretty but if there was a Switch version, I'd be in big big trouble time-wise Thankfully that's not a thing that's going to happen, it's too resource intensive, although I could see a simpler version of that kind of game working.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    nv

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    nv

Fallout??? For Switch?! :o

• Options
    I didn't take the time to look it over. Now I'm sad. :cry:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Hitting the top 10 in Tetris 99 sure is an experience. This game is way better than it has any right to be.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just realized it's almost 1:30pm and the only thing I've done today with my free time is watch Tetris 99 streams.

• Options
    Whelp, my kids come rushing into my office and want me to come look at the tv.

My wife, who is a Tetris master, came in 1st in Tetris 99 her first time playing it. She's crazy and that is why I don't play Tetris against her anymore. :heartbeat:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Hitting the top 10 in Tetris 99 sure is an experience. This game is way better than it has any right to be.

It's so cool when it's free and highly publicized and therefore becomes a shared experience.

Something I learned from the reddit thread earlier and seems to match up with my experience: the better you did last round, the more people will start out the next round "randomly" targeting you, which is a cool mechanic. I just got #4 and then started the next round with like 7 people on me which dropped to 4 or 5 as those people changed targeting modes, but it was enough to screw me over and put me at #42.

Another feature request: after I lose, let me screenwatch whoever I want until the end, and give a lil' bonus XP if I watch to the end too.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yoshi's Crafted World is totes adorbs and everything I was hoping it would be. It's just so chill and happy and calming.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It's so cool when it's free and highly publicized and therefore becomes a shared experience.

Something I learned from the reddit thread earlier and seems to match up with my experience: the better you did last round, the more people will start out the next round "randomly" targeting you, which is a cool mechanic. I just got #4 and then started the next round with like 7 people on me which dropped to 4 or 5 as those people changed targeting modes, but it was enough to screw me over and put me at #42.

Another feature request: after I lose, let me screenwatch whoever I want until the end, and give a lil' bonus XP if I watch to the end too.

You can't full screen watch, but you can watch all the mini displays to the end.

• Options

I think you are correct. My wife came in 8th on her second round. She said everyone and their mother was gunning for her after her win. She just got piled on for a good bit of the match.

There must be something in the programming that fights against pure domination. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Looks like that mega huge Dead Cells patch just hit the Switch version

https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes
    New custom game mode released! You can now customize your runs the way you want, like unlocking/relocking items, enabling special gameplay adjustments, changing rules etc. You are under control, have fun :)

I wish there was a "play the game with checkpoints" option. It looks like such a cool game otherwise.

Dirty on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Damn, watching Wumbo play Tetris 99 is insane.

I can't imagine ever coming in first in this thing, and he's on a 60+ win streak right now.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    You can't full screen watch, but you can watch all the mini displays to the end.

I know, full screen is what I meant. To basically see it like someone streaming their impressive play. But then I would guess maybe the data being sent isn't full accurate gameplay and more of the setup of their field every couple seconds.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Yoshi's Crafted World is totes adorbs and everything I was hoping it would be. It's just so chill and happy and calming.

They thought that Mario smacking Yoshi on the back of the head was cruel, here Yoshi is hurling his children at enemies (enemies who don't seem to be bothering him) for money! Then he just abandons them! He doesn't even check to see if they're alright!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, Wumbo is both bonkers and mesmerizing to watch.

And is that a reverse grip? The hell?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Watching my wife crush her foes in Tetris 99 is making me suspicious that the few victories I had over her in Tetris DS were just her letting me win.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I am nowhere near that crazy fast but I like to think I am reasonably fast.

One fond memory of high school was playing hours and hours of Ztetris on the graphing calculator and sometimes people would gather around to watch. A friend told me that watching me Tetris was inspiring and I will carry that accolade my whole life. :o

Even though I'm probably pretty bad, T-spins just never enter my head, I can't process them. I just build a wall.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yeah, Wumbo is both bonkers and mesmerizing to watch.

https://www.twit ch.tv/wumbotize

And is that a reverse grip? The hell?

They just built up to the top on like, 40% of the left and 40% of the right. Then used the next 5-6 piece to clear the whole board in one magnificent combo.

I can't even process what they did properly :lol:. I haven't played Tetris in forever, time to learn it again :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I am nowhere near that crazy fast but I like to think I am reasonably fast.

One fond memory of high school was playing hours and hours of Ztetris on the graphing calculator and sometimes people would gather around to watch. A friend told me that watching me Tetris was inspiring and I will carry that accolade my whole life. :o

Even though I'm probably pretty bad, T-spins just never enter my head, I can't process them. I just build a wall.

This is basically my experience. When I worked for a gamedev company, the DS Tetris game came out and we would spend every lunch playing. I did very well. I also did quite well in PuyoPuyo Tetris but I just can't grasp t-spins. I even made it a goal for playing PPT but my group never ended up playing much so I didn't practice.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want that 10-men-left song from Tetris 99. It stops being Tetris music and becomes a Pokémon battle.

• Options
    It's a remix of Flight of the Bumblebee. :D

Rimsky-Korsakov which is an awesome name and of course also Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAJopwEYv8

• Options
    I just fired up Dead Cells and there's no update. Did anyone get that update? I'm excited to see the balance changes.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I just fired up Dead Cells and there's no update. Did anyone get that update? I'm excited to see the balance changes.

Mine updated automatically. Check your version, it should be 1.1.0.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Weird. Must be a regional rollout. I'm in Canada and I'm still on 1.0. Every other app has updated the instant updates are pushed!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Weird. Must be a regional rollout. I'm in Canada and I'm still on 1.0. Every other app has updated the instant updates are pushed!

Try updated manually by hitting + then software update. I've noticed updating can be funny at times. Sometimes stuff doesn't automatically update, usually games that haven't been played in a long time. But also yesterday I was able to open the NES app and it didn't auto update, because I was initially confused why SMB2 wasn't on there.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Try updated manually by hitting + then software update. I've noticed updating can be funny at times. Sometimes stuff doesn't automatically update, usually games that haven't been played in a long time. But also yesterday I was able to open the NES app and it didn't auto update, because I was initially confused why SMB2 wasn't on there.

That did it. Now I know, that's never happened before. Now I can deep dive back into Dead Cells. That is one of my favourite indie games of the last few years.