Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Man, I gotta get Tetris 99. Sounds like a blast.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Whew, ran the third mission a couple times to find more weapons and took down the final boss thing in the Daemon x Machina demo.

Definitely helps to have good guns. By which I mean a bazooka. The other arm can carry the starter rifle and just plink down the drones for ammo, that worked well.

Handgun seems OP if you can get close. Ridiculous damage (the final enemy pair in mission 3... well, the one melted in like 2 sec and the other ran away immediately).

I've come around on the heavy parts too. It's a significant difference (like, a factor of 3-4) to survivability.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I still think the weapons - even the bazooka - lack audio pop. Everything else is pretty cool, but the weapons don't really sound like anything.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I still think the weapons - even the bazooka - lack audio pop. Everything else is pretty cool, but the weapons don't really sound like anything.

Oh yeah, they need to tune up the impact of them that way. Louder noise, more/brighter bullets flying out.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Oh yeah, they need to tune up the impact of them that way. Louder noise, more/brighter bullets flying out.

The assault rifle needs to have some snap to it. I mean, yeah, it looks like you're shooting slow tracer rounds, but at least make it sound somewhat impressive.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    @Vyolynce I think we were playing the same Tetris 99 match. Either that or someone else named Vyolynce lost the same time I did.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    @Vyolynce I think we were playing the same Tetris 99 match. Either that or someone else named Vyolynce lost the same time I did.

If you see this name, it's me. :)

Of my three games so far, that 11th-place was my worst finish.

The other two are tied:

I keep rotating things the wrong way for some reason. Driving me mad.

• Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wow, what a fluke. After just 29:16 of total playtime I got my first #1 finish.

And I have a losing record in Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Tetris 99 is silly.

EDIT: False alarm, second win, not a fluke, my shit is dope.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I can't play tetris because i have a potato brain and can't solve puzzles rapidly.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I gave Daemon X Machina a go and it definitely has some decent ideas. But two missions in and I couldn't summon the will to continue. Pity.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    So the developer for Tetris 99 is Akira, the same folks responsible Tetris the Grandmaster, so the pure bloodlust radiating from this game is understandable.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Whew, ran the third mission a couple times to find more weapons and took down the final boss thing in the Daemon x Machina demo.

Definitely helps to have good guns. By which I mean a bazooka. The other arm can carry the starter rifle and just plink down the drones for ammo, that worked well.

Handgun seems OP if you can get close. Ridiculous damage (the final enemy pair in mission 3... well, the one melted in like 2 sec and the other ran away immediately).

I've come around on the heavy parts too. It's a significant difference (like, a factor of 3-4) to survivability.

You fortunately only have to beat one of the two in Mission 3. And somehow I think you're supposed to go after Sif, because she goes down pretty easily, whereas Reaper can take so much damage I keep running out of ammo.

Although, now that I found a bazooka and a sword, maybe I should try and focus on Reaper again. See if I can't get some revenge.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    I'm actually profoundly surprised by more Starlink content. I thought that game was a miserable commercial failure, as fast as everything for it went on massive discount. Most discussion about it fell off a steep cliff. The fact that we are getting more content for it, much less platform exclusive Starfox content, goes against everything I know about publisher's cutting off their gangrenous limbs.

I mean, I'm happy. I enjoyed Starlink. I'm hype as fuck for more Starfox content in it. It's just utterly inexplicable to me. I wonder if it massively outperformed on Switch compared to other systems. Or if Nintendo is funding the continued support out of it's own coffers because they really want Ubisoft to like them and keep supporting their hardware. Mario + Rabbid's was a crucial release filling a gap in Nintendo's own schedule during the Switch's first year, and I think Starlink was one of the first day and date releases on Switch/Xbox/Playstation. Or at least certainly part of a very exclusive short list of AAA games that bothered to.

The DLC was likely in the works long before they knew it was a bomb.

Was it a bomb, though?

The retail version, definitely, but that wasn't the only -- nor the most recommended -- way to play. Do we have sales figures for the digital versions yet?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So questions for people who've played both Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros U.

I've been finding NSMBU honestly unpleasant to play. Mostly because of little factors. I still really love platformers tho, and Tropical Freeze is on special. So can anyone break down these things for me:

Loading times: How are these? Getting knocked back to the world map on EVERY death is just argh.
    Controls: Is there a way to edit the controls and what they're mapped to? Lack of this is also ARGH as it forces very uncomfortable (For me) at least appraoches to playing.
    Difficulty: Is there an actual health system, or are you 1 hit away from death constantly?

and just how in general do they compare?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I keep rotating things the wrong way for some reason. Driving me mad.

This is the other reason I am not elite: I always rotate all pieces the same direction. Just easier and more consistent in my mind.

EDIT: Datamine:

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    So questions for people who've played both Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Bros U.

I've been finding NSMBU honestly unpleasant to play. Mostly because of little factors. I still really love platformers tho, and Tropical Freeze is on special. So can anyone break down these things for me:

Loading times: How are these? Getting knocked back to the world map on EVERY death is just argh.
    Controls: Is there a way to edit the controls and what they're mapped to? Lack of this is also ARGH as it forces very uncomfortable (For me) at least appraoches to playing.
    Difficulty: Is there an actual health system, or are you 1 hit away from death constantly?

and just how in general do they compare?

I don't own the Switch version but:

Load times are not bad enough that I was really annoyed them. You can watch a longplay video to see if they would be too much to bear.

I don't think you get knocked back to the world map on every death, in a video I just checked, after death they just respawned at a checkpoint.

I don't know about control mapping. I thought I remembered some small aspect of switching a few buttons around but it's not like the whole thing is remappable? Not sure.

You have 2 hearts, and as a solo player when you have a partner along with you, you have 4 hearts total (losing Diddy/Dixie/Cranky after losing 2 of them). There's a hard mode with only 1 heart, and NEW FUNKY MODE where you have 5 hearts, and there are other difficulty options I think and also a shop where you can buy an extra heart, temporary invincibility, protection from one fall to your death, etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Okay, cool. I think it's mainly the get punted back to the world map that's driving me nuts - it's just long enough to make it hard to get into a groove, and really hampering the sort of brute force practice i need to get good at controls. (I have poor fine motor skills thanks to a body i really should have a refund on. My solution to instead of sucking at art and video games is just brute force practice, because that's sensible right?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Tropical Freeze is a way better game than NSMBU.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I Gamefly'd NSMBU Deluxe for Switch, and was so bored, I returned it after only like the third level.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 is amazing. Nintendo should give everyone a week of it for free because once you've played a round or twelve of it it would be very hard not to give them twenty bucks to keep playing. I got second place last night and the combination of speed and Flight of the Bumblebee and stress was absolutely addictive and awesome.

• Options
    Tetris 99 is amazing. Nintendo should give everyone a week of it for free because once you've played a round or twelve of it it would be very hard not to give them twenty bucks to keep playing. I got second place last night and the combination of speed and Flight of the Bumblebee and stress was absolutely addictive and awesome.

There is a free trial to NSO, some people were saying they used this for Tetris.

( @earthwormadam )

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    T-spins are still elusive to me. Watched and read tips on them, and I can barely manage to set up one t-spin at the very beginning of a match. But once things get hectic trying to set up them just ends up hurting me more.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Hol'-up-a-minnit.

You can use a PS4 controller with your Switch (with an 8bitdo adapter, apparently)??? You mean, I could have been using the excellent PS4 controller instead of the "passable but not great" dog-face thing... this whole time?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Or you could have got a pro controller.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Split joy-cons have spoiled me so much. Free hands is incredible.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I am unexpectedly quite enamored of Daemon x Machina. Just played through the first two missions and messed around with some of the customization and it's scratching a lot of my itches. I especially love the whole "horrifically altering your body to be a better mechanical pilot" angle. Gameplay wise I don't have access to a lot of weapons yet so I feel a little like I'm using a pea shooter and I hope that changes with more weapons and mech parts, but a highlight for me was picking up a car on the street, leaping over a wall, and chucking it at the two tanks in front of me. Just a very "fuck yeah I'm a giant robot" moment for me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Or you could have got a pro controller.

The pro-controller is alright but can cause some hand issues for a variety of people. Tapering the handles so drastically and having them be really short is a recipe for hand cramping for many folks.

Like on my hands the the handles literally do not support my pinkies and barely support my ring fingers. Which from a ergonomics stand point is not so great.

• Options
    Oh yeah your starting gun has kind of bad damage, though it has long effective range and is good for efficiently plinking down little flyers.

The demo should have given more weapons as fixed rewards to let you play with them.

Also, the sword is shit. Too slow for how weak it feels. Handgun is way better for close in fighting.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Imagine if they'd made one slightly larger to accommodate big hands and one ergonomically curved!

seriously though, I loved the wiimotes

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

LET’S “DISCUSS” CONTROLLER FOR THREE PAGES AGAIN

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

LET’S “DISCUSS” CONTROLLER FOR THREE PAGES AGAIN

With the power of advanced computing I've been able to condense 3 pages of debate in to a single post:

1) "The [insert preferred controller here] is superior!"

2) "I disagree!"

3) *repeat step 1*

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I am unexpectedly quite enamored of Daemon x Machina. Just played through the first two missions and messed around with some of the customization and it's scratching a lot of my itches. I especially love the whole "horrifically altering your body to be a better mechanical pilot" angle. Gameplay wise I don't have access to a lot of weapons yet so I feel a little like I'm using a pea shooter and I hope that changes with more weapons and mech parts, but a highlight for me was picking up a car on the street, leaping over a wall, and chucking it at the two tanks in front of me. Just a very "fuck yeah I'm a giant robot" moment for me.

I've only played the training mission so far so it may improve, but you start off pretty slow and your starting gun thing feels weak. When I saw game footage, it made me think "Virtual-On in wide open areas thrashing stuff", so 60FPS + fast movement.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Whew, glad that discussion is over already. We’ve really streamlined the controller conversation here at PA. Congrats everyone, you’ve earned it!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Hol'-up-a-minnit.

You can use a PS4 controller with your Switch (with an 8bitdo adapter, apparently)??? You mean, I could have been using the excellent PS4 controller instead of the "passable but not great" dog-face thing... this whole time?

I do this. I got the usb adapter and it's very easy to use. I like the DS4 but i'm also tempted to get another adapter and the 30 dollar xbox bluetooth controller because 30 dollars vs 70.

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

I've only played the training mission so far so it may improve, but you start off pretty slow and your starting gun thing feels weak. When I saw game footage, it made me think "Virtual-On in wide open areas thrashing stuff", so 60FPS + fast movement.

From what I've heard of this it really sounds like a case of "start out low level and slow and in the full game you'll eventually get way faster with monstrous guns."

But there's no guarantee of that...just sounds like level 1 of a demo to me. Like Diablo 3 before you have several pieces of equipment and skills giving you +30% move speed.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I find it hilarious that after all the complaining about old NES games the killer app for NSO turned out to be freakin' Tetris.

P.S. 8bitdo is salvation.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know you can play it in reverse and for cows but I really wish the Yoshi demo had been more than one level.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Here's a good write up on the Daemon x Machina demo:

https://kotaku.com/daemon-x-machinas-demo-is-pretty-good-1832651381

They got one part wrong though, parts do break, at least in combat. I had my right arm blown off in the third mission.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting on the release of the 8bitdo SN 30 Pro+ ... what 8bitdo controllers are you using with the Switch in the meantime?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra