As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m giddy

Those classic sound effects always give me goosebumps.

Just sad Warcraft 3 didn’t get the same treatment.

I just need a Rock ‘n Roll racing game now.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Also the D4 Rogue has nothing to do with the Sightless Eye? Just a random assassin for hire?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    the amazon and necro models are killing me.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Shit and now the druid too.

Why do they all look like they smoke 3 packs a day?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    Ya, I thought I remembered Brevik saying a remaster was basically impossible.

We’ll see. I’d play it a bit, but probably not long term without changes. Buffs to underused skills would be my biggest hope.
    To get more specific on a remake being "impossible"... Diablo 2 is very specific in its coding. Everything about it was made with the 800 x 600 resolution in mind, everything about it was made with its fixed frame rate in mind.
    - monster aggro is based on the resolution
    - spell effects are based on the resolution
    - every spell, ability, attack, and movement, all are based on the game's frame rate (be it damage done over x amount of time, or calculating speed increases)

Trying to "remaster" the game in the sense of heightening its graphical appearance while retaining the gameplay 1:1 may as well be impossible. If / when we get Diablo 2 remastered, all of the math in the combat and stats is going to be new and that can't be helped. You can't try to build the math on top of frame rates because some people are going to vsync for 60 (which is really 59.9), other people are going to let the frame go ham with over 100, etc.

That. OR. They go bold as fucking hell, and the remaster has a locked frame rate just like the original.

800x600 wasn't the original resolution at release, it was added later from 640x480. So how did they manage to update it from 480 and yet also make it impossible to go any higher? Blizzard spaghetti coding at it again.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Did they say at the announcement, what the different versions of the D2 game are?

There's just D2, and then a Prime Evil upgrade that seems to come with Diablo 3 complete, too;

But the "prime evil collection upgrade" is $50, while D2 is $40, but nothing on the store page indicates what else, if anything, it comes with. From the teeny tiny thumbnail it looks like maybe some wings and a pet? It's not entirely clear.

EDIT: I'll have to watch some clips later of blizzcon or something. I'm just avoiding the internet today until I watch the new episode of wandavision :lol: But my battle.net restarted and it showed up so I'm curious about this. Looks like D2 in the D4 engine, which looks great, but also looks...weirdly janky in movement/animation vs D4 clips? I'm curious if they just dropped the D4 graphics engine on top of the D2 gameplay stuff, or if they rebuilt the entire game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/19/22289916/diablo-2-resurrected-blizzard-features-upgrades-updates

It sounds like they heard the complaints about Warcraft 3. I'm super interested in this now!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/19/22289916/diablo-2-resurrected-blizzard-features-upgrades-updates

It sounds like they heard the complaints about Warcraft 3. I'm super interested in this now!

Good to see that they're at least putting in some improvements that are toggle-able, at least assuming I'm reading it right?

It sounds like they said straight up no minimap or quest markers (whatever), but auto-gold pickup will be able to be toggled?

I mean, cool for the purists who want to manually click on every gold drop, but no thank you!

Shared stash should help, but I think they still might be underestimating how many alts people would have just for holding gear. There's a reason D3 has a dozen tabs. Particularly with the absurd amount of charms and runes and stuff in D2. Oh well.

• Options
    Also, add cross platform accounts to D3 pls!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah so far the only changes are the shared stash and auto gold pickup. Which can be toggled. The fact that I won't have to mule is important.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    The Diablo 2: Resurrected graphics look strange and faithful at the same time. There's something off about it right now to me.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Good to see that they're at least putting in some improvements that are toggle-able, at least assuming I'm reading it right?

It sounds like they said straight up no minimap or quest markers (whatever), but auto-gold pickup will be able to be toggled?

I mean, cool for the purists who want to manually click on every gold drop, but no thank you!

Shared stash should help, but I think they still might be underestimating how many alts people would have just for holding gear. There's a reason D3 has a dozen tabs. Particularly with the absurd amount of charms and runes and stuff in D2. Oh well.

So they might agree with you but I don't think they are required to recreate the infnite mule system of D2, which went hand-in-hand with infinite free accounts and auto-deletion of characters every 3 months. That auto deletion is the one brick wall that ever kept me from dipping back in to playing closed characters every now and then. But if there's no character deletion then they can't afford to hand you infinite mules, which means that yes, you are definitely going to have less space.

I also got a bad feeling they are doing jack about charms if they don't even want to touch skill balancing. Even moreso about loot sharing because the original treasure tables weren't built for that at all.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    The Diablo 2: Resurrected graphics look strange and faithful at the same time. There's something off about it right now to me.

Part of it might be that people remember D2 as looking darker and grittier than it truthfully is in a lot of places, so there's sort of a weird line they might feel they need to walk to reproduce the game people are nostalgic for versus the game as it actually existed. At least as far as the aesthetic is concerned.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I’m giddy

Those classic sound effects always give me goosebumps.

Just sad Warcraft 3 didn’t get the same treatment.

I just need a Rock ‘n Roll racing game now.

Rock 'n Roll racing is on my shortlist for (nostalgia clouded) best game ever.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Rock n Roll Racing is dope and I might pick up that arcade 3 pack just to play it in 16:9 splitscreen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also, add cross platform accounts to D3 pls!

Yeah as someone who has played d3 seasons on three different platforms I'd love unified unlocks from all of that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ok so I got to half-watch the announcements but missed the deep dive. I saw a few of the comparison tweets. After these kids go to bed I’m going to try to get caught up.

Rogue looks really cool! I was leaning Druid first but I dunno now. Did they say if you can do bows and melee or if it’s one a time?

Also, D2R looks better than I expected it would!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Ok so I got to half-watch the announcements but missed the deep dive. I saw a few of the comparison tweets. After these kids go to bed I’m going to try to get caught up.

Rogue looks really cool! I was leaning Druid first but I dunno now. Did they say if you can do bows and melee or if it’s one a time?

Gameplay looked like a mix of ranged and melee for the rogue, which thank you, stop making me choose when your gameplay at times seems to favor both!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Gameplay looked like a mix of ranged and melee for the rogue, which thank you, stop making me choose when your gameplay at times seems to favor both!

I’m hoping so. Like how Druid was mixing spells and shifts, or Barb having 4 weapons.

• Options
    So I wonder if we'll get a holy damager? Like a paladin, crusader, or a new cleric/priest character? Seems weird to not have one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm surprised in resurrected they chose to either do 2D backgrounds, or else they are just forcing them to be rendered without depth. Some of us did enjoy the janky glide perspective mode back in the day!

Nothing's been said but it somehow smells like D2R is going to be an always-online server-based game. Makes cross-progression simple but it would mean no offline play or modding, enough reason right there to leave the original game alone as they say they will.

Real question is are they going to do the bare minimum to make online PUG-friendly, with regards to assigning loot or non-consentual hostility.

In the deep dive they briefly mention offline characters, in the context that you can't move items between offline/online stashes, so that's still around. I'm less certain about modding, but it's definitely possible since they claim that it's actually the same game.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO3LQqpiBvQ

Just watched this, do recommend.

Confirms you absolutely do get both bows and melee at once. Also covers rogue specializations, weapon imbues, open world and PvP.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I played D2 a lot in afghanistan and iraq on a crappy computer so do remember it fondly as a distraction I really am curious how I will view it now
    Though I am more hyped for D4 and the rogue but the talent trees being real this time remind me of the talk of they were coming to 3 and never did [I fell it was Act pushing them to get it out to the door now! is why parts of 3 felt rushed or not quite all there}

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    8 player coop in Diablo 2 remastered... That should make for some fun times although I haven't played D2 for 10-15years.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    I'm surprised in resurrected they chose to either do 2D backgrounds, or else they are just forcing them to be rendered without depth. Some of us did enjoy the janky glide perspective mode back in the day!

Nothing's been said but it somehow smells like D2R is going to be an always-online server-based game. Makes cross-progression simple but it would mean no offline play or modding, enough reason right there to leave the original game alone as they say they will.

Real question is are they going to do the bare minimum to make online PUG-friendly, with regards to assigning loot or non-consentual hostility.

In the deep dive they briefly mention offline characters, in the context that you can't move items between offline/online stashes, so that's still around. I'm less certain about modding, but it's definitely possible since they claim that it's actually the same game.

I'm starting to wonder if they just wrote a brand new client from scratch that communicates with the ancient server they have zero source code for. Something like auto gold pickup can just be done client side. Any deeper QoL features (like shared stash) take a lot more effort to hack in. At least they confirmed no auto-expiration on characters though.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Currency that can only be gained through PVP? No thank you :mad:

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Are you talking about the hate shards or whatever edgey name they gave them? They mentioned you could earn them in PvE as well, iirc. It's just the primary reward of PvP fights, where I think you can safely assume you earn a lot more of them.

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    god, if this remaster can be played offline its an instant buy for me. it sounds cool.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it would be real nice to play a single player, offline diablo game again cause you sure as shit aren't getting that from diablo 4

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it would be real nice to play a single player, offline diablo game again cause you sure as shit aren't getting that from diablo 4

I only really stopped, diablo 3 because I moved and have shit rural internet, and no amount of network wizardry can I get a stable connection to Bnet.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Are you talking about the hate shards or whatever edgey name they gave them? They mentioned you could earn them in PvE as well, iirc. It's just the primary reward of PvP fights, where I think you can safely assume you earn a lot more of them.

They said that even if you earn them through PvE, you still have to make yourself hostile while you convert them so you can get ganked for them. I thought it was odd for them to go so hard on PvP, even D2 didn't do anything like that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just remember how badly they fucked PvP in D3

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    pvp in these games is horrible period. I know this because I was that teenager whose hydras killed you as you corpse ran because I "can't turn them off"

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    They didn't seem to specifically mention Charsi as the inspiration for the name of the Imbue system.

That's probably for the best.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well it was quoted onto this page but my curiosity remains; how is the gameplay coding / math going to be changed for Diablo 2 since the frame rate isn't the thing it all locks to anymore. They can have the goal of making it as faithful as possible but it won't be 1:1. And that isn't a bad thing. Just... if people are still playing D2 and jump to this remake, it will feel different.

As for the art, yeah I kinda had that same feeling of "this looks faithful but also wtf it looks weird."

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just remember how badly they fucked PvP in D3

D3 at launch was an incredible mess. The real money auction house was a *brilliant* idea and if I recall correctly the only way to progress for me was to buy items that let me. That might be because I'm bad though. But I remember that feeling because it prompted me to stop playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    As I understand it, they're still calculating the original D2 framerates, and then displaying at a higher framerate.

I don't know enough about computing to figure out if they just convert the D2 frames to units of time, or something.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Tarantio wrote: »
    As I understand it, they're still calculating the original D2 framerates, and then displaying at a higher framerate.

I don't know enough about computing to figure out if they just convert the D2 frames to units of time, or something.

Yeah with the MrLlama interview they said game logic is still running at 25fps but the new visual layer runs higher. They have done the engineering work to make it exactly the same as the original.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

Yeah with the MrLlama interview they said game logic is still running at 25fps but the new visuals run higher. They have done the engineering work.
    Huh, well then! I'm looking forward to seeing it all in action.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Im most excited that all the paper doll items are represented correctly on the character thats an impressive bit of modelling work.

This discussion has been closed.