As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised in resurrected they chose to either do 2D backgrounds, or else they are just forcing them to be rendered without depth. Some of us did enjoy the janky glide perspective mode back in the day!

Nothing's been said but it somehow smells like D2R is going to be an always-online server-based game. Makes cross-progression simple but it would mean no offline play or modding, enough reason right there to leave the original game alone as they say they will.

Real question is are they going to do the bare minimum to make online PUG-friendly, with regards to assigning loot or non-consentual hostility.

Nope has all the original modes from 2001. Offline, Battle.Net and TCP/IP if that's your bag.

Also I read somewhere that all the current D2 mods should work.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm surprised in resurrected they chose to either do 2D backgrounds, or else they are just forcing them to be rendered without depth. Some of us did enjoy the janky glide perspective mode back in the day!

Nothing's been said but it somehow smells like D2R is going to be an always-online server-based game. Makes cross-progression simple but it would mean no offline play or modding, enough reason right there to leave the original game alone as they say they will.

Real question is are they going to do the bare minimum to make online PUG-friendly, with regards to assigning loot or non-consentual hostility.

Nope has all the original modes from 2001. Offline, Battle.Net and TCP/IP if that's your bag.

What fucking sorcery is this?! There's no way.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Henroid wrote: »

What fucking sorcery is this?! There's no way.

Well I guess it would depend on the scale of the mod but if the game is running the old logic through an interpreter there doesn't seem to be any reason it couldn't do this

now ART assets on the other hand eh.

Ok maybe the thing I read misinterpreted this but the game does have mod support maybe it wont be plug and play though

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    nvm misread that one.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular

aw sweet now I can recreate the grind to get legitimate self found high end runes, and then post screenshots to diabloii.net and set up tcp/ip trading with trusted individuals on forums from 2003.
    memories are new again.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you didn't need to buy stuff off the RMAH to progress because I never did

I did sell some stuff though, enough to fund all my expansion purchases, which was cool

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    RMAH was never mandatory or even really recommended to progress, it was very expensive. The gold AH was borderline mandatory though. The biggest problem with D3 1.0 was that it was just incredibly grindy and tedious. Doing things the "right" way - getting the gear you needed for Act 2 Inferno from Act 1 Inferno - took an absurdly long time, whereas buying gear on the AH from people who were on Act 3 was very simple and affordable.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    RMAH was never mandatory or even really recommended to progress, it was very expensive. The gold AH was borderline mandatory though. The biggest problem with D3 1.0 was that it was just incredibly grindy and tedious. Doing things the "right" way - getting the gear you needed for Act 2 Inferno from Act 1 Inferno - took an absurdly long time, whereas buying gear on the AH from people who were on Act 3 was very simple and affordable.

the real money was in secondary selling sites. the RMAH had a hard limit of top price, but a top end percentage legendary was worth alot more than the cap. certain sites, had forum gold currency that could then be used for trades, or bought out with payal transactions. I had a roommate make about 1000$ a month just flipping items from the RMAH. it was a crazy thing.

• Options
    early inferno was so fucked up I don't think it was a gear thing. either you had something like smokescreen and could do acts 3-4, or you didn't

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well it was quoted onto this page but my curiosity remains; how is the gameplay coding / math going to be changed for Diablo 2 since the frame rate isn't the thing it all locks to anymore.

They already made clear that its running the same or basically same logic under the hood. The game logic still updates at 25 FPS, items and characters are still laid out in a grid, so odds are you still have attack speed breakpoints on your zeal and strafe animations and the like. As I suggested the client is likely completely new and it was always the client's job to guess and interpolate what was really happening on the server. (Example when you got disconnected, you could often see a mob continue to run up to your character, because that's how far the client was willing to guess what the server was doing.) They surely did a ton of work to make sure the new client syncs to the old logic but it is doable and it seems they have more than pulled it off.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They definitely balanced the game around its presence, which I am of the belief that if it weren't for that we'd actually still have an (RM)AH in the game, because people gave/give Blizzard a pass for a lot of predatory shit, but it's the fact that it actively inserted itself into the player game experience with the really stingy Inferno drop rate combined with the unbalanced difficulty initially walling new players out of it on a per act basis is the real reason there was pushback, and not the concept of the AH in and of itself. It "encouraged" players to use the AH to make headway into Inferno even if it wasn't strictly required.

I get what they were trying to do - artificial scarcity making the really rare drops worth money = bigger RMAH transaction commissions from the whales, but the way they went about it backfired pretty hard on them. They should have just set the game up for more frequent content/level/gear cap increases to encourage new tiers of gear rotating through the player base to periodically replace the old stuff. I mean, thankfully they didn't, but.. yeah.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Is the D2 Resurrection getting new items? I can't find anything that says it does and plenty to suggest it will not (they're baulking at QoL changes, idiots), but my brother claims he saw something saying they were adding stuff.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    the RMAH was a response to all the people buying items in diablo 2. it wasn't some insidious thing- they believed it was what players really wanted. there's no such thing as artificial scarcity in these games, you're going to hit a point where upgrades are hard to find. it's inevitable. yeah they changed how items were rolled in 2.0, but then a month later you were in the same situation where you're just looking for perfectly rolled items of stuff you already have. the thing didn't even activate until a few months after release

blizzard didn't make money off of it either, paypal pocketed all that

Jars on
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    early inferno was so fucked up I don't think it was a gear thing. either you had something like smokescreen and could do acts 3-4, or you didn't

I ended up yolo clearing inferno with Wizard and that one armor rune that prevented you from taking more than a third of your life in one hit. Zero vit, all Int, just glass burn the whole difficulty down. A lot of deaths and Belial was next-level infuriating, but by God it got done.

• Options
    I don't think I buy the idea of benevolent Blizzard graciously allowing players (and PayPal) to be the only ones to make money off of their game in perpetuity. Even if we go ahead and say they weren't initially, they would have definitely been positioning themselves to collect from it down the road if it continued.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    They definitely balanced the game around its presence, which I am of the belief that if it weren't for that we'd actually still have an (RM)AH in the game, because people gave/give Blizzard a pass for a lot of predatory shit, but it's the fact that it actively inserted itself into the player game experience with the really stingy Inferno drop rate combined with the unbalanced difficulty initially walling new players out of it on a per act basis is the real reason there was pushback, and not the concept of the AH in and of itself. It "encouraged" players to use the AH to make headway into Inferno even if it wasn't strictly required.

I get what they were trying to do - artificial scarcity making the really rare drops worth money = bigger RMAH transaction commissions from the whales, but the way they went about it backfired pretty hard on them. They should have just set the game up for more frequent content/level/gear cap increases to encourage new tiers of gear rotating through the player base to periodically replace the old stuff. I mean, thankfully they didn't, but.. yeah.

I never really bought this theory. Thing is, they never beta tested the endgame with a real player base, so they couldn't have known how the AH would play out in practice. All they knew was they were getting a ton of feedback that the game was too easy after they released a beta with only the tutorial. So they overcompensated and made the endgame absurdly difficult with no real testing, because they were so afraid of spoiling the story. Everything would have been different had there been a prolonged beta test of Inferno with a sizable player base.

• Options
    I think the fact that they were losing money off the RMAH made them more inclined to shut it down

• Options
    Inferno was (poorly) designed to take months to slog through. Jay heard over and over from D2 fans that they wanted a "harder" game and his team did succeed in making a steep wall. I don't know that it's better or not for most that a few cheesy skills or the AH let you climb out of those months of intended grind. The game was likely balanced around trading with a moderate sized group in their test environment, not taking into account how quickly millions of traders would drive down the cost of the mid-tear gear necessary to pass inferno comfortably. I won't rule out some greedy CEOs figuring things out down the road but this was first and foremost a design mistake of building a high wall and then underestimating how much acquiring the rope to scale it was something that happened outside the game proper.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    a friend of mine noticed that the monk 2second party invuln ability had an 8 second cooldown, and he and 3 friends streamed themselves waltzing thru inferno and just before the end the ability got hotfixed

the original design of d3 was so embarrassing

the gold ah was a simple problem: u effectively subcontracted everybody using the ah to farm for u, so the chance of u ever finding an item better than what u could buy at any given time was effectively zero. everything was just about how it broke down into fungible currency. the items themselves were staggeringly boring statfests with zero legendaries so nobody cared about what they found anyway - i fondly recall finding a legendary axe that was just a half dps version of my current blue weapon that had strength and stamina on it

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Probably not gonna happen, but I’m still hoping for a monk / assassin flavored class

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i feel like assassin is possible given she dodged d3 and a lot of people have nostalgia for her

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Seemed that any assassin stuff would be part of Rogue. They aren’t just ranged.

One good answer from the Q&A so far- there will be an option to disable the white model flash on hit.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    assassin was weird tho because of the trap/claw focus along with the charge type mechanics - i could see that being complementary to rogue if rogue is basically amazon mk 2 (which was already ranged + melee)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    assassin was weird tho because of the trap/claw focus along with the charge type mechanics - i could see that being complementary to rogue if rogue is basically amazon mk 2 (which was already ranged + melee)

The Rogue seems to have some combo stuff, so I imagine if we do get an assassin similar class, it will be more focused on traps. Possibly combined with summons/constructs as a tinker type thing?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    It does, more accurately CAN, have combo stuff via specializations:
    A lot of discussion internally if this dexterity-based class should lean more ranged or melee. Wanted each class to have that unique feel that differentiates them from the others. For Rogue that's one of their three specializations: Combo Points, Shadow Realm, and Exploit Weakness.

Shadow Realm takes a problem and makes it smaller by pulling a select few enemies into a shadowy realm and buffs you to more easily take on the current challenging monsters.

Exploit Weakness retaliate during enemy attacks to deal significantly more damage than ordinary attacks. Perfect for players who are quick on the draw. High skill cap that requires quick assessment and finesse.

Combo Points allow the rogue to build combo points with basic attacks and then consume then with other skills to provide additional powerful effects. Creates a nice rhythm to combat.

Class specializations unlocked by working with one of the rogue world groups of Sanctuary. Complete class-specific quests for one of the these rogue groups: the remnants of the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye, Mercenaries of Kehjistan. Outlaw Smugglers of the Swamps of Hawezar.
    Once all specializations are unlocked, you can mix and match any of the playstyles allowing for a ton of variety in builds and customization.

Their other class thing is the ability to imbue weapons with ice, shadow, and poison.

Source: https://www.wowhead.com/news=321002/blizzconline-2021-diablo-whats-next-panel-recap

Noggin on
  • Options
    Yeah no way they're bringing in Assassin or Amazon after this, Rogue has them both covered. They kept talking about how they needed a dexterity type character in the roster, which leads me to think this is the only one (meaning no Monk). Since Druid has beefy melee options, I'm betting the next class is a caster - either a Necro or an entirely new character.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    They didn't seem to specifically mention Charsi as the inspiration for the name of the Imbue system.

That's probably for the best.

??

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    reintroducing d2 classes doesn't seem that important anyway. if I want to play a LF amazon or phoenix strike assassin again I'd play the remaster

• Options
    edited February 2021
    the first 3 classes were literally barbarian, druid and sorceress lol

dev team obviously seem to feel like they have something to prove wrt to authentic inspiration from diablo 1 and 2... cant think why

either way its just a shame given that assassin was always an interesting mess of a design with the strange split focus between claws and traps with a fun aesthetic - would rather they revisited her than idk crusader or something monumentally boring like that

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    that's good for them, but if diablo 4 classes are just diablo 2 classes then why am I ponying up the extra cash when I can play a modern diablo 2

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »
    They didn't seem to specifically mention Charsi as the inspiration for the name of the Imbue system.

That's probably for the best.

??

Charsi was a member of the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye in Diablo 2, as was the Rogue from Diablo 1.

As a quest reward, Charsi would imbue an item with magical power for you. (This would make the item rare.) I think that's the only time the word Imbue was used for a mechanic in the series, previously. The Sorceress had Enchant to give a weapon fire damage, which is more mechanically similar, but has a different name and the wrong class association.

By it being for the best that they didn't mention it, I mostly just meant that I'm probably about the only nerd who even thinks this is related.

• Options
    Rhykker had a video several months ago talking about character archetypes and used what we’ve had so far to predict what’s left.

Barb and Sorc were basically auto-include, you need brute strength and pure magic. Druid mainly brings in the shapeshifter archetype that 2 had, and 3 was implying before it became a skeleton crew.

He nailed the 4th prediction by reasoning that they would combine agile/ninja with ranged attacks.

His fifth prediction seems popular with other streamers, and obviously remains to be seen, but was that of the remaining holy, sword&board, and minion archetypes, they could get the last two via Death Knight.

That and all the “grimdark” and “Heaven is closed off” talk, makes Holy seem less likely.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    Rhykker had a video several months ago talking about character archetypes and used what we’ve had so far to predict what’s left.

Barb and Sorc were basically auto-include, you need brute strength and pure magic. Druid mainly brings in the shapeshifter archetype that 2 had, and 3 was implying before it became a skeleton crew.

He nailed the 4th prediction by reasoning that they would combine agile/ninja with ranged attacks.

His fifth prediction seems popular with other streamers, and obviously remains to be seen, but was that of the remaining holy, sword&board, and minion archetypes, they could get the last two via Death Knight.

That and all the “grimdark” and “Heaven is closed off” talk, makes Holy seem less likely.

I'd love to see a holy / rune spellcaster, focused on binding demons. surprised that type of magic hasnt been showcased in diablo.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

That seems a reasonable deduction, but something about "Death Knight" strikes me as overly specific in theme when grouped together with the other classes in the game so far which are exceedingly broad stroke archetypes. I wonder if they'd just go for something like "Knight" with the necromancy/minion stuff being an optional focus, like we see with Rogue and her three specializations. The other paths could be something more solidly tanky or even holy stuff if it's still at all present in the game.

Edit: But now that I say that, I seem to remember that specializations might just be a rogue thing in which case all this speculation is out the window

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    either way its just a shame given that assassin was always an interesting mess of a design with the strange split focus between claws and traps with a fun aesthetic - would rather they revisited her than idk crusader or something monumentally boring like that

The course of Diablo 3 has been replacing the few non-Western classes like they were some kind of mistake, so yeah I'm not holding out hope for anything all that special at least before expansions. Though at least the D3 Necro was mechanically distinct.

• Options

Oh and while we didn't talk a lot about #Diablo 3 today, if you're... ahem, a "follower" of mine then you're in for a treat next season. #shhhhhh

But in the meantime, please enjoy the double loot goblins, err, I mean treasure goblins.

Hm, follower theme? Oh man... maybe the seemingly random Shadow Clones were groundwork for a follower revamp?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That seems a reasonable deduction, but something about "Death Knight" strikes me as overly specific in theme when grouped together with the other classes in the game so far which are exceedingly broad stroke archetypes. I wonder if they'd just go for something like "Knight" with the necromancy/minion stuff being an optional focus, like we see with Rogue and her three specializations. The other paths could be something more solidly tanky or even holy stuff if it's still at all present in the game.

Edit: But now that I say that, I seem to remember that specializations might just be a rogue thing in which case all this speculation is out the window

Each class has had distinct mechanics, and part of the Rogue's seem to be specializations. So who knows yet.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Man I loved RMAH. I made like 400 Blizzbucks. Bought the D3 expansion for my friends and I, SC2 expansions, couple copies of Overwatch, and then some.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if I can play PD2 with the new look and shared stash I'll be ecstatic, but as is I'm pretty excited. more and more old stuff to play alongside new stuff. works for me!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    blizzard didn't make money off of it either, paypal pocketed all that
    Is there a source for this? Not that I don't believe it, but I'd never heard that before.

This discussion has been closed.