As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    defense only works when you walk in d2. it's a quirk most people don't know

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    It doesn't when you run, yeah. Not sure if it shows in original D2, but d2r definitely hides the defense values when you are running. It shows again if you're standing still/walking.

Maxroll.gg has a blurb on it:
    If a Character is Running then the Hit Check made by a hostile unit cannot fail its Hit Check. This means the calculation for Chance to Hit = 100% chance if the Character Target is running.
    - Chance to Dodge and Chance to Block still calculate as normal.

Edit: I really love that they added an "additional stats" summary on the stat page in D2R.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ringo wrote: »
    Just watching the first two minutes the remaster cuts all the dramatic lighting, shot and character movements

Marius has better textures but the scene is now barren of visual stimuli

I think that is a problem with the whole D2R, they really toned down the saturation and contrast in-game, for example. So much so that doors blend into the minimap in dungeons -.-

a liiiittle more color really wouldn't hurt

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    You need a lot of life to not get obliterated in late Hell difficulty (and to reduce the chance of being hitstunned/stunlocked), which is another reason for the min/max conventional wisdom being to pump the hell out of Vitality.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    that and an inventory filled with +life charms

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I don't see anyone actually arguing for the inconveniences as something they want. It's always arguing on behalf of someone else's supposed interest.
    I don't think we were talking about anyone on this forum, but lest you think they don't exist.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I may or may not have noticed tonight that there was an open beta that was about to end. Whoops.

I was rather surprised how much more fun a graphical uplift made everything. This is still an old game but sure feels a lot better now, like it's still playable today, at least on PC.

The biggest obstacle this game seems to face is the sheer amount of inventory juggling on a controller. It is much, much more than Diablo3, especially early game when you are managing potions and ID'd random blues and yellows, and it still reflects the crap inventory tetris rather than D3's smarter divving up of console loot. Its only just about tolerable on mouse and seems hugely tedious the bit I tried on controller. I would worry about longevity of the console versions for this reason alone (unless maybe touch is feasible for handheld Switch play? that's probably almost as bad still.), which is a bit of a shame because running around and fighting feels good enough. Fixing this kind of thing would require major QoL changes like stacking potions, auto-filling belts, larger inventory/smaller items (and separate charm inventory). I know there's an argument over purity but I feel like you shouldn't bother even making a console version if you can't make these kinds of changes, even if you had to sacrifice cross-platform. Purists aren't going to be on consoles and it will likely have a higher proportion of newbie audience, and the newbie experience is severely impacted by potions and crap drops being semi-relevant unless using specific builds and gear or leaning on power-leveling.

Other minor things;

For the love of god put a basic sharp bilinear filter on the legacy graphics. That's all pixely retro graphics need to look good on modern displays and so few can be bothered. Shimmering is not cool and I shouldn't be staring at fringed text.

The console interface lets you bind skills to an instant button press, I would like to see this as an option for KBaM too. Its very nice to be able to hit utility skills instantly without the extra step of switching in and out of your workhorse damage skills.

I'm sure there's deep-seated technical reasons but its weird that the 3D game has no perspective. While even legacy graphics supports perspective mode.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I don't see anyone actually arguing for the inconveniences as something they want. It's always arguing on behalf of someone else's supposed interest.
    I don't think we were talking about anyone on this forum, but lest you think they don't exist.

So loot competition is justified by loot scarcity, a complete fallacy, because evenly dividing up the loot doesn't make it any more prevalent. And no-one called that out.

I don't know, I think between that kind of stupidity and the malice of gankers, some people aren't worth pleasing.

• Options
    Eh, that sub is not much better than the official Blizzard forums imo, it's split between circlejerking and cesspool mentality for the most part

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I played like 5 minutes on Saturday veggie I had to turn it off, felt really stiff and slow on a sorc. Gave it another shot last night, remembered that I could toggle on run which helped a bunch with the slowness, and had a lot of fun plucking around with a couple different characters. Really brought back some good memories of all nighters with friends back in highschool.

I'd play it on Gamepass or buy it off a steep discount but ultimately console inventory management, and potions in particular, is too much of a bear for me to want to drop money on it.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I found out that pressing R3 somehow? on some screen? automatically transfers potions from inventory to belt. So at least they did some nod in that direction. But yeah I'm still highly skeptical of treating console as your primary platform for this game. Seems like mainly the sort of thing once you're well-equipped and knocking out some mindless runs while full of regen/leech, only stopping for runes, uniques and the like.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I found out that pressing R3 somehow? on some screen? automatically transfers potions from inventory to belt. So at least they did some nod in that direction. But yeah I'm still highly skeptical of treating console as your primary platform for this game.

ohmygod
    is there a button that maps to that on kbam?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I mean in the original D2 you could shift+left click potions in your inventory to send them to the belt. I don't think there's a way to do that en masse though.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I mean in the original D2 you could shift+left click potions in your inventory to send them to the belt. I don't think there's a way to do that en masse though.

I thought shift + right click filled your belt with the type of potion you clicked? Which was never as helpful as it seemed because I need my mana/rejuvs here and my health potions here

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I want to say you could take an empty belt then manually put in one mana/rejuv potion > fill health in the other 3. Maybe I’m making that up, it was like 17 years ago…

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I found out that pressing R3 somehow? on some screen? automatically transfers potions from inventory to belt. So at least they did some nod in that direction. But yeah I'm still highly skeptical of treating console as your primary platform for this game. Seems like mainly the sort of thing once you're well-equipped and knocking out some mindless runs while full of regen/leech, only stopping for runes, uniques and the like.

Yeah, in your inventory screen, hover over your belt slots and hold R3 and it will fill all the slots

Of course it may not fill it the way you want, but I believe it keeps it the same per column if there’s something already there

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    At the pace of a Normal playthrough, the controller works just fine. You might start to have issues in the real endgame, teleporting around with an inventory full of charms and all that. I think the worst thing about it is actually picking items up off the ground in the midst of a bunch of crap you don't want. A loot filter would have made a big difference there.

• Options
    yeah it sucks that you have to play inventory manager 2000 instead of diablo 2. makes me wish I could just play diablo 2, that was a cool game.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »

I thought shift + right click filled your belt with the type of potion you clicked? Which was never as helpful as it seemed because I need my mana/rejuvs here and my health potions here
    Shift + right click would mass buy potions from the vendor to fill your belt. I don't think there was a mass inventory->belt shortcut though.

I think the shop buying only filled up rows based on the potion in the first slot though? So if you had healing potions in 1-3 and a mana potion in 4, it would only fill out the "drop-in slots" in 1-3 with healing potions (or 4 if you bought mana potions).

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    yeah it sucks that you have to play inventory manager 2000 instead of diablo 2. makes me wish I could just play diablo 2, that was a cool game.

I hated the d3 console inventory wheel. There really isn't a better way than tetris imho. Just give us stackables and enough stash tabs

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    The beta got me very nostalgic. I also remember the slog of trying to trade for anything worthwhile... but I could probably get a number of hours of fun out of it. I also just discovered I have enough WoW gold to get $45 of blizzard bucks so...

Totally unrelated... um... does anyone have a guide for how to play D2 in the modern day, or which mods/etc are worthwhile to check out?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The vast majority of your damage comes from skills (and gear), not from your stats.

You'll want to pump vit anyway for the stamina early on, and the health helps especially as everything starts to hit harder and you need to be able to take some hits here and there. Resists will only take you so far (my 25 paladin has 60-75 in each resist and can still take a beating if I'm not careful).

Understood, thank you everyone. Vitality is key!! What about Energy though?

Prisca on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    The beta got me very nostalgic. I also remember the slog of trying to trade for anything worthwhile... but I could probably get a number of hours of fun out of it. I also just discovered I have enough WoW gold to get $45 of blizzard bucks so...

Totally unrelated... um... does anyone have a guide for how to play D2 in the modern day, or which mods/etc are worthwhile to check out?

You can just play it as is! It works on Windows 10 without any real issues -- you'll be doing 800x600 stretched though. It's one of the few games that my brain tolerates playing at such a low resolution on a big monitor, but obviously the remaster looks better. You can still buy them from Blizzard, and if they're tied to your account the CD key will be in your battle.net profile (the download isn't in the battle.net client -- it's on their website). The ladder seems to have quite a few people playing at the moment -- it's been really easy to get games when I've played over the last week.

Probably the two most popular mods are:

Path of Diablo -- keeps the base game experience more or less in tact. Adds QoL features like a charm inventory and a currency stash tab. It also buffs a lot of the underused skills to make them more viable for end game, and has a decently sized online community.

Median XL -- closer to a total conversion, but not 100%. It has the same story as D2, but adds a lot of stuff to the end game and things throughout. Most importantly, it completely changes all of the skills. The builds are completely different from D2, because the skills are completely different too. Version 2.0 comes out on August 27th, and is apparently going to have 4K support which could be nifty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    accidental double post so:
    Prisca wrote: »
    The vast majority of your damage comes from skills (and gear), not from your stats.

You'll want to pump vit anyway for the stamina early on, and the health helps especially as everything starts to hit harder and you need to be able to take some hits here and there. Resists will only take you so far (my 25 paladin has 60-75 in each resist and can still take a beating if I'm not careful).

Understood, thank you everyone. Vitality is key!! What about Energy though?

Conventional wisdom is to never put points into energy ever, on any build. You'll be chugging potions either way, and will eventually have items to make it less painful. It is a bit rough to chug so many potions early on, but you're going to do it whether you have a lot of energy or not. Essentially every build is max vitality, 0 energy, enough strength to use items, and sometimes enough dex to max block if you're a certain type of shield character.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mana also gets covered by mana leech, and just having more mana from gear to buff your innate level of regen

• Options
    I believe the only exception was a Sorc going full-on Energy Shield build, who was OK to put points in Energy. But I think that was mostly just a dueling build.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    cncaudata wrote: »

You can just play it as is! It works on Windows 10 without any real issues -- you'll be doing 800x600 stretched though. It's one of the few games that my brain tolerates playing at such a low resolution on a big monitor, but obviously the remaster looks better. You can still buy them from Blizzard, and if they're tied to your account the CD key will be in your battle.net profile (the download isn't in the battle.net client -- it's on their website). The ladder seems to have quite a few people playing at the moment -- it's been really easy to get games when I've played over the last week.

Probably the two most popular mods are:

Path of Diablo -- keeps the base game experience more or less in tact. Adds QoL features like a charm inventory and a currency stash tab. It also buffs a lot of the underused skills to make them more viable for end game, and has a decently sized online community.

Median XL -- closer to a total conversion, but not 100%. It has the same story as D2, but adds a lot of stuff to the end game and things throughout. Most importantly, it completely changes all of the skills. The builds are completely different from D2, because the skills are completely different too. Version 2.0 comes out on August 27th, and is apparently going to have 4K support which could be nifty.

Thank you! I figured out most of it. What I can't really stand is that in windowed mode, my mouse is worthless and once it leaves the window, it's laggy and sometimes invisible.

Fullscreen mode is... Ok. I mean it's the same resolution, but it feels really weird to play on 1/8 of my screen.

I have found some mods with mouse windowlock options, but then I'm not on battle.net

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Every time I see a D2 ad or clip and it shows an open inventory screen that's halfway or more full of charms I just feel waves of anxiety.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    I just do not engage in charm stacking until I am to the point that picking up one item per run is considered a lot - it definitely sucks and was one of the better things handled by the modded versions of the game.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    For anyone who has played D2R, how smooth is the gold auto-pickup? Do you have to run right over the piles?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For anyone who has played D2R, how smooth is the gold auto-pickup? Do you have to run right over the piles?

Pretty much

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Pretty much

Yeah it does take a minor effort, you can't just ignore them and hoover up all the gold. But it's definitely easier than clicking them individually.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    And in comments, killing the cow king no longer locks you out of cows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwoUPMg9TLc

• Options
    Re: personal loot

(If you can’t see tweet) Rod Fergusson, Diablo guy:
    “Not for launch but it's something the team continues to discuss.”

Sooo, maybe updates to the game after all? Even if this doesn’t happen, it shows that post-launch changes are being considered.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think they can really only improve the game by making post-launch changes. That makes me pretty happy.

I wonder if that's something they can have as a setting when you create an online game. That way purists can have ffa loot, and anyone who wants it can make a personal loot game.

• Options
    once they statisfy the grognards then they can implement actual good changes

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    once they statisfy the grognards then they can implement actual good changes

More or less. "We can implement changes after the game is out," is a near-perfect response in this case:

1) More time to work on it, most obviously.
    2) In this type of product, purists, etc., have a reasonable expectation of fewer rather than more changes. This way, it's possible to maybe offer both options if there is a division in the audience over that.
    3) Debating what those changes should actually be.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    Re: personal loot

(If you can’t see tweet) Rod Fergusson, Diablo guy:
    “Not for launch but it's something the team continues to discuss.”

Sooo, maybe updates to the game after all? Even if this doesn’t happen, it shows that post-launch changes are being considered.

God, and there are already shitheads in the comments telling them not to do it because it's "for babies"

I hope they patch in QoL stuff like that (maybe as toggles?) later just to see those fuckers squirm after they bought the game already

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I'm still cautiously excited about the prospects of modding, even if it is singleplayer-only (I think). I hope they've been watching closely what the current mod scene is doing and made their framework support most of those features - they mentioned they've moved a lot of core game code into scripting instead as they've developed the game which would make it modding-accessible, but core source code modifications will no longer be possible. I'll do a nostalgia playthrough of the raw game, but I really want a mod that radically modernizes every aspect of the game, like has been done for plain D2.

• Options
    @m!ttens @BladeX and anyone else playing / interested in Last Epoch...

I decided to go ahead with making a thread in honor of the update tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.