As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Tournament today, it’s the end of year event for my local club. I’m playing in a top of the top 8 ranked players (second seed myself) to determine who is club champion for next year. Should be fun.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I feel like Khorne may have been about honour at one point but it's a very twisted view now. It's more just slaughter and blood.

I think Khorne is more about duty than honour? Duty taken to an excess, to the exclusion of all else, like the duty of taking skulls.

I mean, that's what Chaos is, right? Stuff in excess, taken to the exclusion of all else?

Which, ironically, means that Chaos Undivided are the most "in balance" of the bunch, but still.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also the Ork gods are part of the Warp. In the Ork codex it talks about them being in the Warp and that the opening of the Eye effected them. Ghaz is literally thrumming with their power and he wants to rip open the Warp to let out the Ork gods.

It also may be causing him to "da jump" across the entire galaxy to different worlds to kick up Waaaagh's.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Khraul wrote: »
    Also the Ork gods are part of the Warp. In the Ork codex it talks about them being in the Warp and that the opening of the Eye effected them. Ghaz is literally thrumming with their power and he wants to rip open the Warp to let out the Ork gods.

It also may be causing him to "da jump" across the entire galaxy to different worlds to kick up Waaaagh's.

Supposedly he's been spotted on a bunch if different worlds at the same time, so there might be some time dilation shenanigans as well.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How many people are needed for a campaign?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Speaking of Ghaz, I need to finish my current Deathwatch project so I can get started on my orks... after Christmas presents and my own boxing day purchases I'm already sitting at >600pts. A gorkanaught and I've got an easy 1k ork speedmob.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I’ll do a write up tomorrow, but I won. Post-CA Tau are strong.

• Options
    Finally got to my US mailbox to pick this up. Huge props to @SmokeStacks for passing along the deal he got on this Valiant.

I'm so excited for this kit... I might sideline my current projects so I can get started on this one.

w90cxsjf4a43.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Technically only two; for a simple branched campaign with three or four rounds you can skip a lot of setup.
    Much more than that and you start to need an arbitrator/organiser to keep track of everything.
    Heck, the entire Piscina IV assault, where Ghazghkull and Nazdreg ganked a bunch of dark angels, which is now an event in the codex and the reason Orks have inter-planetary tellyportas, was just Andy Chambers and Paul Sawyer deciding to link a few games together.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Technically only two; for a simple branched campaign with three or four rounds you can skip a lot of setup.
    Much more than that and you start to need an arbitrator/organiser to keep track of everything.
    Heck, the entire Piscina IV assault, where Ghazghkull and Nazdreg ganked a bunch of dark angels, which is now an event in the codex and the reason Orks have inter-planetary tellyportas, was just Andy Chambers and Paul Sawyer deciding to link a few games together.

My play group of 4 was thinking of doing a campaign, good to know that is enough, for some reason I thought we needed 8 people.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So my club is negotiating a deal to let us play at a bar every Sunday. This will be amazing if it happens. It's a bar that focuses on board games.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I finally got Wrath and Rapture
    Looking at the harp it's hard to tell {well I kind of live in a dusty cave of a house} if it's an Elf/aeldari
    But I had the thought as I remembered that passage in the Fracture of Biel-Tan where they escape into the webway and find the Masque with various other slannesh demons playing with the dead Drukhari
    I thought it would be interesting to use left over parts of the Kabal trooper kit scattered around the base of the model

But then I also thought I did get the Daughters of Khaine to play a game of AoS {I have never played Warhammer/AoS and thought it would be nice and different for a change} as I basically have both a Khrone and Slannesh armies because I had the Chaos demons box army from an epoch ago
    u6emzbwoxttr.png

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

My play group of 4 was thinking of doing a campaign, good to know that is enough, for some reason I thought we needed 8 people.

That’s a tourney. I mean you can run one of those with less too, it’s just very, very short.
    Anyway, what sort of campaign were you looking at?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    If I end up liking this Bloodbound army I might see if I can get a decent deal on the Khorne galf of Wrath and Rapture.

It's kinda cool that they did a box set that was entirely Demons and can be used in AOS or 40k.

• Options

That’s a tourney. I mean you can run one of those with less too, it’s just very, very short.
    Anyway, what sort of campaign were you looking at?

My friend is thinking about buying Vigilus Defiant so we figured we might do that for a campaign.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I saw this somewhere once and I thought it was a really interesting way to describe the four Chaos gods:
    Khorne is a god of war, violence, blood, and murder... but he's also a god of honour and courage.

Tzeentch is a god of deception, sorcery, fate, and schemes... but he's also a god of knowledge, innovation, and progress.

Nurgle is a god of death, disease, stagnation, and decay... but he's also a god of nature, life, and comfort.

Slaanesh is a god of excess, indulgence, perversion, and sin... but s/he's also a god of joy, passion, and success.

The main reason the chaos gods are evil is because their more negative aspects are far more prevalent in the Materium and they are a reflection of that.

@smokestacks was it an Emperor gets a Text to Speech Device?
    Magnus was talking about it in one of the episodes, but I can't spend 20hours combing the series to find the exact one it was.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    @smokestacks was it an Emperor gets a Text to Speech Device?
    Magnus was talking about it in one of the episodes, but I can't spend 20hours combing the series to find the exact one it was.

I've never seen it, so I don't know. I think I got it from a webforum somewhere, so I don't know what the original source is.
    Finally got to my US mailbox to pick this up. Huge props to @SmokeStacks for passing along the deal he got on this Valiant.

I'm so excited for this kit... I might sideline my current projects so I can get started on this one.

I was phoneposting earlier and missed this somehow, I'm glad it finally got to you.

• Options
    The gap at the nightbringers mid section annoys me so much.

qy35q4dku8a1.jpg

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I remember using plumber’s putty on all the joins on that model, both to smooth them over and strengthen the bond.

Buddy wearing a big dumb tassled coat snagged him on it the first day I ran him and knocked him on the concrete floor. Banged up the paint job but he didn’t break.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's remarkable how models will find a way to fall off a table.

My finger caught the spiky part of a daemon princes wing while I was picking up dice and sent it flying. The legs snapped when it hit the floor

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's remarkable how models will find a way to fall off a table.

My finger caught the spiky part of a daemon princes wing while I was picking up dice and sent it flying. The legs snapped when it hit the floor

Solution: Glue about 10 rare-earth magnets under each model's base, and play on a solid iron table.
    :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Once the models hit the table they never leave.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    So the promised write up of my tournament yesterday.

List I ran.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [81 PL, 1475pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander Shadowsun [9 PL, 110pts]

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
    . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 278pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 278pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [12 PL, 243pts]
    . Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [24 PL, 413pts]: 5x MV4 Shield Drone
    . Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system
    . Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system
    . Broadside Shas'vre: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [10 PL, 192pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: 2. Through Unity, Devastation, Markerlight, Puretide engram neurochip, Warlord

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

+ Troops +

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [18 PL, 333pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV85 Enforcer Battlesuit [7 PL, 148pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Elites +

Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 25pts]: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 80pts]: 8x MV4 Shield Drone

++ Total: [109 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

First round was against a Guard+Castellian army. There was a sizeable Guard element, something like six squads plus support characters, pask, basilisks and sentinels. Basically a brigade. I went first and ignored the castellian to eliminate as many infantry as I could. We were playing progressive scoring missions, and by turn two he had nothing left to realistically take any objectives. I threw away my crisis suits in this game to kill a basilisk and to force him to have to stay in the top corner to deal with them with pask.

Second game and it was against your standard knight soup. So again a castellian, this time loyal 32 and a blood angels battalion for smash captains were again in attendance. Again my opponent deployed his castellian right at the back to outrange me, and again I just deleted everything else and dominated on scoring. This game was table quarters so being stuck at the back cost him hugely. At one point in this game I took eight wounds from cawls wrath on a riptide and proceeded to make six feel no pains on shield drones, one drone died and the last wound bounced off the invuln.

Last game was against Eldar soup. A ynari detachment with dark reapers, yvraine, eldrad with guide and doom, dark reapers. He also had a craftworlds detachment with rangers and three of the cannons that don’t need LOS. He also had a harlequins detachment with three death jesters, a shadowseer and two units of bikes with Haywire. Very much set up to fight imperial soup. Fortunatly for me haywire dosn’t work on me (battlesuits not being vehicles) so the big ranged mortal wound output is gone. We’re playing lengthways, I get first but there’s no way I can get into range. I mont’ka to advance my whole army to the center of the board and shoot a single unit of rangers with an entire Tau army, which is a funny image. On his turn he doubles moves one unit of bikes, kills as many drones as he can and then tries to charge me from outside of LOS with the bikes. I kill a few with smart missiles with FTGG and the bikes fail the charge. On my turn I get really agressive with my riptides. I have to kill these bikes or they will tie up a good chunk of my army. This means the tides are out of drone range. The bikes are -1 to hit with a 3++ so I’m not able to finish them leaving two left. My commander and crisis suits drop in to try and blast the other squad. He lightning fasts when I fire with the commander, so the crisis suits clear out some chaff. In his turn he’s able to kill both riptides and charges with both units of bikes. The damaged units loses a guy to overwatch and then can’t kill the firewarrior squad it charged. The commander and a single crisis suit survive both on one wound. The games essentially over for him now. I moved so far up turn one that I have three of four objectives. The commander and the suit kill the other unit of bikes and the firewarriors get the other. There’s nothing to screen his characters now, firewarriors shoot dead multiple characters and he concedes as I called Kayoun with shadowsun and would of been able to shoot both yvraine and eldrad with broadsides, leaving him with rangers, three dark reapers and his eldar mortars which would of taken at least two turns to even get near objectives.

In all real happy with how it went. The list is primarily designed to fight imperial soup, and it worked perfectly. There are two outcomes in that scenario. They deploy the knight in range and I kill it, or they don’t and I clear out the rest of the list with almost trivial ease. Your easily able to blank an entire turn (sometimes two) of shooting from the knight with drones. Having 130 points of your list cancel 600 of your opponents, even for one turn is huge.

MVPs were the broadsides. I sang thier praises before but with the points cut they are pretty undercosted. The key is they are so versatile. They can drop heavy units from weight of fire and with focus fire can kill almost anything (average damage to a T8 model with a 5++ is 24...) but are also incredible against infantry. Every game they were able to kill multiple whole units a turn. Against the Guard list, when buffed it’s feasible to kill two units per broadside. They are frankly insane. Using Montka turn one to get your firing line into the middle of the board and just have this 36” bubble of instant death is just super powerfully. They’re also pretty tough, there almost immune to small arms naturally and drones blank any weapons that threaten them.

I ran the crisis suits as a gamble, theoretically good with the points cost but I hadn’t had chance to test them. With the CIBs they’re pretty good. I deepstruck them everyturn and being able to drop that much firepower anywhere is pretty good. They are fragile, so it’s kinda a one time deal, but again they’re pretty versatile. 27 shots and overcharging at str 8 -1ap d3 damage means they can kill any kind of unit effectively. They do need markerlight support to really shine. They also have to be dealt with so are a pretty good distraction carinfex. They work real well as a duo with the enforcer because they can deepstrike together and screen him. I’m keeping them in the list for now.

Some pictures of the event

My second game was also streamed on twitch.tv/Firestormgames

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Badablack wrote: »
    I remember using plumber’s putty on all the joins on that model, both to smooth them over and strengthen the bond.

Buddy wearing a big dumb tassled coat snagged him on it the first day I ran him and knocked him on the concrete floor. Banged up the paint job but he didn’t break.

I might do something like that. The gap connecting the torso to the lower half annoys me and I just saw that it looks like I did not put the right arm in at the right angle, there is a very slight gap.

Had to put the Nightbringer back into the acetone to clean off the glue and green stuff. In trying to fix it I messed it up. The peg that goes into the base with the scarabs also broke off at the bottom of the robes so I'm hoping using the acetone will let me get that peg out and then I can try and pin it back to the robes and fix it.

I think I am just gonna have to let that gap exist. It is so frustrating through.

Stragint on

• Options
    What would be the best way to fix that peg? Glue it on and then drill a hole to pin it with something thicker than a paper clip?

• Options
    @norgoth

1) That's a great play by play

2) How did you place overall?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    @norgoth

First.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    @norgoth

First.

Well done :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Did come across a really strange rules interaction with crisis suits though.

CIBs have an overcharge option. Now unlike say imperial plasma it dosn’t kill the target. Instead it states the bearer takes a single mortal wound, much like a dreadnought plasma gun. (It’s also only one mortal wound possible per gun no matter the number of ones, buts not relevant.)

This means a crisis suit can overcharge and take a mortal wound. The next suit in the squad fires and does the same but because the weapon specifies the bearer, not unit, you can have multiple models in a single unit with lost wounds. As far as I’m aware the is the only way this is possible.

• Options
    Pinned the Nightbringer lower half to the base, just super glued the peg into the base, stuffed the holes with green stuff and threw some super glue in there and then put green stuff in the gap between the robes and base. Hopefully it holds once the green stuff hardens fully.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

CIBs have an overcharge option. Now unlike say imperial plasma it dosn’t kill the target. Instead it states the bearer takes a single mortal wound, much like a dreadnought plasma gun. (It’s also only one mortal wound possible per gun no matter the number of ones, buts not relevant.)

This means a crisis suit can overcharge and take a mortal wound. The next suit in the squad fires and does the same but because the weapon specifies the bearer, not unit, you can have multiple models in a single unit with lost wounds. As far as I’m aware the is the only way this is possible.

A unit of Paladins getting Perils of the Warp on different models chosen as the caster with their Brotherhood of Psykers rule could wind up in this situation as well, but it'd take multiple turns and be very unlikely.

• Options
    Made a weird random list for my Necrons. I have no doubt it will get wrecked but it looks fun.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Necrons) [116 PL, 1998pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Mephrit

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 154pts]: Gauss Cannon, Staff of Light, Warlord

Cryptek [5 PL, 95pts]: Artefact: The Veil of Darkness, Chronometron, Staff of Light

Overlord [6 PL, 94pts]: Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 150pts]: 10x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Elites +

C'tan Shard of the Deceiver [12 PL, 225pts]

C'tan Shard of the Nightbringer [12 PL, 180pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Destroyers [18 PL, 300pts]
    . 5x Destroyer: 5x Gauss Cannon
    . Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon

Destroyers [18 PL, 300pts]
    . 5x Destroyer: 5x Gauss Cannon
    . Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Transcendent C'tan [12 PL, 200pts]

++ Total: [116 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

A unit of Paladins getting Perils of the Warp on different models chosen as the caster with their Brotherhood of Psykers rule could wind up in this situation as well, but it'd take multiple turns and be very unlikely.

I actually missed that in an FAQ they fixed it in crisis suits, now it’s the unit that takes a mortal wound so it’s no longer possible.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I am assembling a Whirlwind for my Fists, and which missile plate represents Castellan missiles and which one represents Vengeance missiles?

Edit: after further review of the rules, I assume the Vengeance is the larger, but fewer number of missiles, whereas the Castellan has smaller, but more numerous missiles.

The Castellan can possibly give 12 total shots (2d6) but the Vengeance, while only having 2d3 shots, has S7, -1 AP. I know in this edition, having the negative to armor is key, but is this still better than having almost twice the number of shots?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CA and Vigilus FAQs are up. Haarken got worse. I didn't think it was possible but he only rerolls melee hits for black legion raptors now.

My plan to use the model as a powerfist/pistol lord continues to be the best idea. I mean the spear is basically a pistol any way via stats.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Fucking LOL that the Ynnari are still causing FAQ-necessary shenanigans.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I like the ideal that is the Ynnari
    But overall they need to rethink the playable of all of the aeldari

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Its more the out of sequence actions and double shooting. I think if they get a codex you might get something closer to faith points and such than the current power from death. The index Sisters allowed a lot of out of out sequence actions too and they got removed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Its more the out of sequence actions and double shooting. I think if they get a codex you might get something closer to faith points and such than the current power from death. The index Sisters allowed a lot of out of out sequence actions too and they got removed.

Yeah I expect the sisters is a preview of what’s to come for ynari. It’s especially notable because it’s an easy swap too, double move became 3”, extra shooting became +1 to hit.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    What do you think will happen after every faction gets their codex? Is anyone predicting 9th edition in the next year or two? Will they try to keep releasing new models and codex package rules with them a la Vigilus?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.