As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Next Up: Cleveland Browns

Just making it this far in to WYTS is their greatest achievement since like 1991

It’s been fucking weird to see the falcons, panthers, and the packers before the browns this year

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The wyts for the Browns should just be a straight-optimistic season preview, and then the last should be “look guys, we’re gonna let’em enjoy it while they can”

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah Drew is a professional, he's still going to lay out the rudest rips on the browns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So I guess this is a thing, too...

2019-08-09-RobertQuinnSuspension2.png
    Can we talk about how messed up this is?

Robert Quinn, Cowboys DE, just got suspended for 2 games after using a banned substance. Okay, fine. Happens frequently enough. But then today I saw more details to the story and good lord the NFL is such a joke.

So Robert Quinn has a brain tumor (jesus christ). He’s apparently had this brain tumor just kinda chilling on his brain since high school (jesus-er christ) and he just got it checked on from time to time to make sure it wasn’t, you know, getting to be a worse brain tumor (jesus-est christ). I just wanted to shout out Robert Quinn for living with a brain tumor all these years like it’s just his friend or something. That’s crazy.

Anyway he takes medicine for his brain tumor (I still can’t like…deal with this) that works to prevent seizures. Apparently, (according to his agent) in the process of filling his ANTI BRAIN TUMOR SEIZURE meds, the pharmacy must have had some residual powder from another medicine sneak into his meds, and the powder contained some trace steroid masking agent chemical. Like, trace. The statement from his agent gives the details you need to understand how rare and suspiciously tiny this amount was.

Not only did this worthless amount of steroid masking agent apparently warrant a 2 game suspension, the NFL apparently admitted that they didn’t suspect Quinn of doping during the hearing…and suspended him anyway. What the absolute fuck. Is the NFL so damn tone deaf that this is worth doing? Is the NFL so blatantly terrified of going case by case after they happened to mess everything up during the Ray Rice/Deflategate scandals? They got put on mega blast for being lenient on Rice, then coming up with a strict 6-game suspension policy, which they then proceeded to ignore for other cases, and took more flack for that. Is this nonsense a response to that? To stick to policy no matter what the circumstances? Part of thinks this is the NFL essentially following policy to make sure they get the PR for it, and they will happily remove the suspension when Quinn inevitably appeals. If they don’t remove the suspension on appeal, for this, the NFL might just straight up be the dumbest organization in sports.

Obviously this is all based on the agent’s statement, which has plenty of bias. We don’t really know the NFL’s side of the argument. But the way the NFL has messed up in the past decade makes it easy to believe it’s legit.

Next time you want to take brain pills Quinn, just hit a woman instead. You’ll be fine that way.

Emphasis mine.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I mean this is a team owned by Jimmy Haslem featuring Kareem Hunt

And as soon as they have a bad game, OBJ is going to kill himself headbutting a wall while Cowherd passes out from the biggest erection of his life for getting to question Baker’s leadership

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So... Dallas Cowboys seem to be in a conundrum, selling their unwarranted elitism as a football franchise, and then wondering why their players expect to be paid as if elite.

Zeke and Cooper are holding out for big paychecks, but the biscuit taker is Dak Prescott.

Apparently, he was offered $30M/y, and turned it down. Despite that putting him ahead of everyone else in the league with the exceptions of Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Wentz. Arguably three of the top 5 players (in terms of quality and consistency) at the position in the last decade.

But that's not enough. No, he apparently wants to be paid $40M/y, which would not just make him the highest paid QB in the league, but significantly so. Wilson is the current highest, on $35M/y.

"I can confirm reports that QB Dak Prescott has, in fact, turned down 30M a year offer and is instead seeking 40M a year per source informed."
    Jane Slater is the NFL Network's Cowboys reporter.

Yeah, that's delusional, IMO. He's had one great season (which was "coincidentally" the same as Zeke's best season), but he's only been a solid starter the following two years. He should be sprinting to sign for $30M. It's more than he deserves, based on past performance or future expectation.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Well, that's partially conflicting with Jane Slater's information, and so the Prescott asking is disputed.

But it's not conflicting that he turned down $30M/y.

And the way NFL contracts are constructed, it's hard to pin down actual values. Seriously, NFL contracts are almost as convoluted as Hollywood accounting (Star Wars A New Hope still yet to make a profit, etc).

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    idk, we live in a world were folks can give their opinion on a podcast and it may get picked up as news. I'd take all this stuff with a grain of salt. There are reports that it's not the $30 million he's turning down, but how the Cowboy's structured it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    “News” for both the NFL and NBA is basically sportsbro TMZ (and often actual TMZ)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    “News” for both the NFL and NBA is basically sportsbro TMZ (and often actual TMZ)

TMZ has better sources and is typically more accurate.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    idk, we live in a world were folks can give their opinion on a podcast and it may get picked up as news. I'd take all this stuff with a grain of salt. There are reports that it's not the $30 million he's turning down, but how the Cowboy's structured it.

So yes, the total value of the contract is (for example) 7 years, $210 million. The issue is in how much is guaranteed.

That contract is still fucking insane for a non-elite QB.

• Options
    Yeah, the problem is that Jerry wants to win now since who knows how much longer he'll be around. The cowboy's defense should still be really good and if they can get Zeke to come back along with Cooper, a 15-25 range QB can win. Look at Flacco, Eli, and Payton that SB year with the Bronco's.

• Options
    There will be no holding back Browns fans this season. The presumptuousness is already at a fever pitch and just AGONIZINGLY misplaced. You’d think they already had a title in the bag. MY ASS. This was the third worst defense in football a year ago. You think new DC Steve Wilks is fixing that? Steve Wilks just got chased out of Arizona faster than a gun violence protester. He’s not fixing SHIT.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Yeah, the problem is that Jerry wants to win now since who knows how much longer he'll be around. The cowboy's defense should still be really good and if they can get Zeke to come back along with Cooper, a 15-25 range QB can win. Look at Flacco, Eli, and Payton that SB year with the Bronco's.
    The only reason Payton was on a superbowl winning team, was because the defense thought he was lucky. In fact in more than one interview with a defensive end or safety the word magic was used.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    The only reason Payton was on a superbowl winning team, was because the defense thought he was lucky. In fact in more than one interview with a defensive end or safety the word magic was used.

Carolina sucking a tailpipe helped.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I guess this is a thing, too...

http://www.thedrawplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-08-09-RobertQuinnSuspension2.png
    Can we talk about how messed up this is?

Robert Quinn, Cowboys DE, just got suspended for 2 games after using a banned substance. Okay, fine. Happens frequently enough. But then today I saw more details to the story and good lord the NFL is such a joke.

So Robert Quinn has a brain tumor (jesus christ). He’s apparently had this brain tumor just kinda chilling on his brain since high school (jesus-er christ) and he just got it checked on from time to time to make sure it wasn’t, you know, getting to be a worse brain tumor (jesus-est christ). I just wanted to shout out Robert Quinn for living with a brain tumor all these years like it’s just his friend or something. That’s crazy.

Anyway he takes medicine for his brain tumor (I still can’t like…deal with this) that works to prevent seizures. Apparently, (according to his agent) in the process of filling his ANTI BRAIN TUMOR SEIZURE meds, the pharmacy must have had some residual powder from another medicine sneak into his meds, and the powder contained some trace steroid masking agent chemical. Like, trace. The statement from his agent gives the details you need to understand how rare and suspiciously tiny this amount was.

Not only did this worthless amount of steroid masking agent apparently warrant a 2 game suspension, the NFL apparently admitted that they didn’t suspect Quinn of doping during the hearing…and suspended him anyway. What the absolute fuck. Is the NFL so damn tone deaf that this is worth doing? Is the NFL so blatantly terrified of going case by case after they happened to mess everything up during the Ray Rice/Deflategate scandals? They got put on mega blast for being lenient on Rice, then coming up with a strict 6-game suspension policy, which they then proceeded to ignore for other cases, and took more flack for that. Is this nonsense a response to that? To stick to policy no matter what the circumstances? Part of thinks this is the NFL essentially following policy to make sure they get the PR for it, and they will happily remove the suspension when Quinn inevitably appeals. If they don’t remove the suspension on appeal, for this, the NFL might just straight up be the dumbest organization in sports.

Obviously this is all based on the agent’s statement, which has plenty of bias. We don’t really know the NFL’s side of the argument. But the way the NFL has messed up in the past decade makes it easy to believe it’s legit.

Next time you want to take brain pills Quinn, just hit a woman instead. You’ll be fine that way.

Emphasis mine.

The league is prohibited by HIPAA from commenting on this stuff so its entirely possible the story is bullshit remember. I think its more likely they said something like it was irrelevant whether he was doping because he's responsible for what he puts in his body. The CBA doesn't give the league the leeway to adjust these penalties for some and not others, unlikely their arbitrary "conduct detrimental" blank check

The story of a pharmacist contaminating his seizure meds with some masking agent also sounds like complete BS and makes that part of it a red herring. It doesn't matter that he was on those meds except to provide a not very plausible possible avenue for the masking agent. But by including that it gins of sympathy and with a quick read it makes it sound like those meds set off the test. And even if that was how it happened, they'd have no idea so they're just using that to bring up the meds.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Pharmacist contaminating his meds with an inconsequential amount of drugs seems rather plausible. You could probably check the pills themselves and see

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Honestly in a game like football being lucky helps. A lot of games go one way or the other on a couple fluke plays and I think he probably had more of his share of those on his superbowl runs.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    And, topping off their masterwork with a crown of dried turds, they controlled their own destiny going into Week 17 and fucking BLEW IT by dropping their final game at home to a Bears team that essentially had nothing to play for.

I watched that game from a hospital bed. Yes, I am a Vikings fan, which means all of my petty jokes about all the other teams are just as hollow as my brainpan. Anyway, when I watched the Vikings piss away a Wild Card berth, I was both annoyed and relieved. I was like oh my God I almost died. Life … Life is so very precious to me now. Life MATTERS. Thank god I don’t have to spend three more hours of it watching this team play like fucking dogshit. This team exists to disgust me.

EDIT:
    Here’s a list of all the teams that have been to a Super Bowl more recently than Minnesota: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Green Bay, Indianapolis, LA Raiders, LA Rams (first time in LA), LA Rams (second time in LA), Miami, New England, New Orleans, NY Giants, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis Rams, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Washington

At some point you just have to stop fucking caring, right?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I laughed more at that commercial than anything during the super bowl the last couple years.

• Options
    "No one needs to respect us after that.” -Vrabel

• Options
    Man. That's the most depressing middle-of-the-pack review ever.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Man. That's the most depressing middle-of-the-pack review ever.

Well, when your head coach debates the merits of eunuchhood as a price for the Lombardi, you are not in a happy place.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    SC, gotta say I don't love this quote but no link thing you got going here

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Sorry. I'm on my phone and linking, especially tweets, is a pain.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-tennessee-titans-1837169891

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Antonio brown in the news again. Evidence tly he stiffed a chef 40k

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/15/sport/antonio-brown-lawsuit-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    You know, I've been a Titans fan for ages, but I think I'm done with them. They're just awful in basically every way and will never amount to a damn thing. I guess I'll default to rooting for my maternal family's historical rooting interest of the Green Bay Packers, who realistically aren't going to do any better but at least have a good QB and some fun traditions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The most exciting thing I can say about the Titans is Vrabel’s mom was my high school French teacher and I got in trouble because the dude sitting in front of me swore in French and she blamed me for it

Sacre blue

• Options
    The most exciting thing I can say about the Titans is Vrabel’s mom was my high school French teacher and I got in trouble because the dude sitting in front of me swore in French and she blamed me for it

Sacre blue

Merde!

• Options
    Chuckie is so red!

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Hey, Kliff, when your oline is letting the defense free runs at your QB, maybe don't call 4 WR verts like you're still playing FBS scrubs.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Hey, Kliff, when your oline is letting the defense free runs at your QB, maybe don't call 4 WR verts like you're still playing FBS scrubs.

Were you expecting him to not suck? He is a losing college coach.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

Were you expecting him to not suck? He is a losing college coach.

No. But I figured he might want to wait until the regular season to get his #1 draft pick Qb killed.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    KK was only about the 87th best coach in college football

• Options
    KK was only about the 87th best coach in college football

Out of 72.

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    As a person who’s been a titans fan the whole time they’ve existed, I still believe this will be our year.

If nothing else I can love Marcus Mariota and Derrick Henry with a clear conscience.

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And now, Fuck Big Ben:
    Big Ben is the man who thinks the best way to lead your team is by systematically alienating anyone else who might dare take the shine off him. Oh but everyone ELSE is a diva. Sure, yes, that’s it. Not only have the Steelers stood by Football Kobe while he’s menaced porn actresses outside hotel rooms, run off vital colleagues, led the league in picks, and threatened to retire whenever the training table isn’t to his liking. No, they went and extended his ass anyway.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum