As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you don't establish the run, then what identity do you have?

more than 10 wins and a loss in the first two playoff rounds?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    If you don't establish the run, then what identity do you have?

more than 10 wins and a loss in the first two playoff rounds?

FOOTBAW!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'd imagine most teams with Superbowl aspirations this year would trade for him. I'd think even the Patriots might talk themselves into being able to control his diva-ness.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This comment on the Former Browns is for @enlightenedbum -
    John may be the better Harbaugh, but that’s like saying colon is a better cancer than prostate.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess the Antonio Brown helmet saga was drama created for Hard Knocks? Whatever it was, he has a new helmet now.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    They named 8 football teams that are going to fold in April

Also, the Texans suck today

Haven't you been reading the WYTS series? They all suck. ;)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Houston Roughnecks is a good, classy name. Can't be any worse than the Houston Outlaws a zing Matt Schaub pick six.

And continuing classy Houston talk, Mario Williams was arrested for trespassing at his ex's apartment this morning which made me realize he didn't actually play at all the past two years, another solid Texan draft pick.

• Options
    DALLAS RENEGADES! WOO!

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Houston Roughnecks is a good, classy name. Can't be any worse than the Houston Outlaws a zing Matt Schaub pick six.

And continuing classy Houston talk, Mario Williams was arrested for trespassing at his ex's apartment this morning which made me realize he didn't actually play at all the past two years, another solid Texan draft pick.

Dude made it 10 years in the brain busting machine and had just a hair under 100 sacks. If that's not a good draft pick, your standards might need adjusting.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Dude made it 10 years in the brain busting machine and had just a hair under 100 sacks. If that's not a good draft pick, your standards might need adjusting.

He's similar to Schaub in that he might have good stats but it largely came from garbage time. Williams was supposed to be what Watt turned out to be (who has almost as many sacks despite being int he league less and having almost 2 whole seasons wiped off for injury).

All of Houston's #1 picks haven't turned out well in comparison to their other top 10 picks. Since the team joining the league I think it's fair to say they've had the weakest picks save for Jamarcus Russell and Sam Bradford. And it's also really really sad that Houston's had three #1 picks in the past 17 years which is more than any other team, even Cleveland.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I really don't understand how McMahon can think the XFL is going to be successful.

There's some ideas that I'm thinking don't completely suck. But I don't think it'll be near enough.

Because we've seen what poorly paid professionals look like. With only one player per team eligible for more than an NFL rookie contract (and barely that), it's gonna be a collection of has-beens, washouts and never-coulds. And with a short roster (45 players per team), I can see overwork and inexperience leading to more injuries. Also not confident that given his past history, any sports injuries will be properly managed, especially if the league collapses. The contract structure also means that it looks like few players will have the opportunity to elevate (contracts are 1-3 years, and are exclusive for the XFL, but not guaranteed for the players), so turning this into an NFL career is probably out.

Starting a few weeks after the end of the NFL season (I'm seeing "February" as the start date) isn't likely to help with league fatigue. Especially with weather in Seattle, NY and DC potentially ruining attendance.

Kinda surprised at some of the locations too. I get wanting to be in the bigger markets, like LA, NY and TX, but you know you're going to be compared unfavorably there. Putting a franchise in St Louis was a great idea. And taking a gamble that your Tampa team might not be the worst professional team in Florida (at least comparatively), might pay off.

But overall, especially given that he's failed once, and the AAF collapsed less than a year before this starts, just gives me no confidence that this won't be a complete disaster.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Isn’t part of the XFL’s supposed draw that the rules will be more like “old school football” with the flashy but dangerous hits the NFL is trying to get out of the game? I seem to recall that this was a selling point back when the league was announced.

If so, there’s another vector for increased injuries

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Isn’t part of the XFL’s supposed draw that the rules will be more like “old school football” with the flashy but dangerous hits the NFL is trying to get out of the game? I seem to recall that this was a selling point back when the league was announced.

If so, there’s another vector for increased injuries

There's some of that still in, particularly with regards kickoffs. Touchbacks are all but impossible (kick from the 15, advances to the 35 if it happens), no fair catch (though you can't get within 5yd of the reciever until he touches the ball).

There's also no extra point. It's always a conversion. Which means another couple plays each game. Which increases the likelihood of injury.

The clock also runs (except for the 2 minute drill), and the playclock is 25 seconds. So I can see players being exhausted, and exhaustion will lead to injuries.

But some of the more stupid things (like the "opening scramble" that put a player out on the opening play of the first game) have been removed.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'd imagine most teams with Superbowl aspirations this year would trade for him. I'd think even the Patriots might talk themselves into being able to control his diva-ness.

Not for that money though

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    That kickoff rule is very stupid.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    That kickoff rule is very stupid.

Well, there's two conflicting rules (at least announced) that make it unclear how it actually works.

- Fair catches will not be recognized, and the kicking team must give the returner five yards of space to recover and return the ball. (This rule is a carryover from the original XFL and is also in use in the CFL; breaching this space will result in a penalty, called no yards in the CFL.)
    - Kickoffs will be attempted with teams separated by only five yards, with the two teams not allowed to cross the neutral zone until the returning team touches the ball.

Note, that the first looks like would also apply to punts. But the second looks like it overrules movement for kickoffs.

So, assuming the Kickoff is from the 15, and a kick goes 70 yards, that means that most returns are going to start from the opposing 15, but the kicking team can't advance until the receiving team gets the ball, that's meaning that unless your receiver is slow as fuck, they'll probably be able to make it to at least mid-field. Meaning that most posessions will start already in opposing territory. That's gonna make scoring a lot easier.

Now, it's pretty much accepted that returned kicks are the most dangerous play of the game (as both teams are moving in opposite direction after building up a head of steam), so yeah, I can absolutely see this ending badly for a returners and gunners.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL5X3TRA2A

TLDR: The 2010 Chargers had the best offense and best defense in the league that year. The differential between the yards the offense gained and the yards the defense allowed is one of the largest in the Super Bowl Era. So how did they miss the playoffs?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Ah, a historical Chargers tragedy examination that ISN’T about 2006, it’s nice to have such a diverse history of suffering

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Reader submissions for Chicago are 95% hate for the kicker.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-chicago-bears-1837283621
    None of that will stop fans from acting like Soldier Field is now the gauntlet through which any other NFC team must pass if they wanna go to the Super Bowl. Give a Chicagoan any chance to indulge in shameless arrogance and they’ll latch onto it like it’s a Vienna Beef footlong. These fans are like Skins fans in that they’ll interpret any current flash of success as a divine sign that their return to glory is both inevitable and swiftly forthcoming, and they’re like Browns fans in that they’re too fucking stupid to know any better.

This is pure truth. Bears fans have been insufferable online since last season.

• Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This is incredible

TLDR: The 2010 Chargers had the best offense and best defense in the league that year. The differential between the yards the offense gained and the yards the defense allowed is one of the largest in the Super Bowl Era. So how did they miss the playoffs?

Ugh, fucking Chargers. I remember that season too well.

The AFC West in general was pretty weird that season. The raiders swept the division 6-0... but finished third in the division with an 8-8 record and missed the playoffs. The Chiefs, of all teams, were the last team in the league to lose their first game... in Week 5, when they fell to 3-1.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    Conn wrote: »
    This is incredible

Ugh, fucking Chargers. I remember that season too well.

The AFC West in general was pretty weird that season. The raiders swept the division 6-0... but finished third in the division with an 8-8 record and missed the playoffs. The Chiefs, of all teams, were the last team in the league to lose their first game... in Week 5, when they fell to 3-1.

Week 4 Byes should be eliminated. There's simply no justification in my mind that a bye, that is supposed to be for giving players a rest, should occur less than 20% into their season. Week 5 as well. 8 teams each, of week 6-9.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Packers and Raiders are about to play on an 80 yard field in Canada. Goal lines on the 10 yard lines.

Edit: both teams sat all starters 5 minutes before kick off because of field conditions. The packers broadcast team were very carefully reminding everyone that Raiders were responsible for ticket sales, and it looks empty. I hope hard knocks is still recording, this will make a magical episode

Veevee on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-chicago-bears-1837283621
    None of that will stop fans from acting like Soldier Field is now the gauntlet through which any other NFC team must pass if they wanna go to the Super Bowl. Give a Chicagoan any chance to indulge in shameless arrogance and they’ll latch onto it like it’s a Vienna Beef footlong. These fans are like Skins fans in that they’ll interpret any current flash of success as a divine sign that their return to glory is both inevitable and swiftly forthcoming, and they’re like Browns fans in that they’re too fucking stupid to know any better.

This is pure truth. Bears fans have been insufferable online since last season.

I imagine all opposing fans must seem insufferable to Lions fans, what with the glimmer of hope in their eyes. The dead always envy the living.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Packers and Raiders are about to play on an 80 yard field in Canada. Goal lines on the 10 yard lines.

Edit: both teams sat all starters 5 minutes before kick off because of field conditions. The packers broadcast team were very carefully reminding everyone that Raiders were responsible for ticket sales, and it looks empty. I hope hard knocks is still recording, this will make a magical episode

They should have just played using CFL rules on the CFL field

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh hey Cam's probably hurt.

Awesome.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Oh hey Cam's probably hurt.

Awesome.

With what happened in the Packers/Raiders game, and what's already been declared is gonna happen in the Bears/Colts game, I think that we'll see a move to not playing known starters at all in pre-season games.

Rookies still proving themselves, maybe. But any veteran or third year plus starter, just seems like it's not worth the risk.

Which means preseason is going to be even more unwatchable.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Veevee wrote: »

Man that whole game was a shitshow. Just making up shit as they went along and somehow it looked like the raiders got 4 time outs in the second half. This is two preseasons in a row packers have encountered fields that were fucked up.

kaid on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And we have reports from The Most Ironically Named City In America:
    Being an Eagles fan is the one personal failing I will never forgive myself for. The last time I went to a game in Philly, as soon as I got through the turnstyle, some 20-year-old with a Joker grin turned to me and slurred “lerrrkrk atdis man.” He lifted his shirt and revealed a booze rig-up more complicated than the wiring on a suicide bomb from a 90s movie. He was the nicest and most coherent person I met that day.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    i will not, can not stand for this thread title

edit: all the shit about the eagles is mostly true though. the philly special statue is a crime with that dumb bud light branding.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Former coke-snorting Dolphins o-line coach Chris Foerster was super-secretly hired by the Niners some time in the offseason. With how bad their line play's been in the preseason, I'm hoping his role doesn't involve acquiring tiny bags of white powder.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lions/Bills is a tire fire with all the starters playing so far.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    For a team with McCoy and Gore at RB, it amazes me how much the rest of their offense is... not good. I mean your first string WRs includes Zay Jones who lit up d-tier defenses in college with ECU.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Bills score thanks to three Lions personal fouls.

Admittedly, the first was so soft Greg Gumbel said "there are harder hits at a canasta game" and it took away an INT. One of the worst I've ever seen from an NFL QB, so good luck with Josh Allen Bills fans.

• Options
    Punt block for touchdown! SUPER BOWL!

• Options
    Schefter is reporting Andrew Luck is retiring.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Schefter is reporting Andrew Luck is retiring.

• Options
    Oops. Hope you didn't draft him in fantasy.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Ho lee shit

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+