As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    no harm done, I just misunderstood

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Interesting. This wasn't an aquisition of Introversion; they flat out just bought the ip. I wonder why they're selling the rights, though they historically have had a disdain for producing franchises or sequels, so maybe they were just done with the game and ready to move on.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    What is the premise of prison architect

you are the architect/owner of a for profit prison

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    it's been their only thing for years now, and they already made a ton of money for it

one last cash injection for the next project probably looked pretty good, especially given how close they've come to bankruptcy before

Shorty on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think Prison Architect definitely has some politics it would like you to know about

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like we're stacking up really vague comments at the moment and it is not conducive to discussion

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Hey Paradox, let me spitball here:

Prison Architect...but with vampires

Azkaban Architect

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really need to get back to DQ11. It's so good! It's also so damned huge I'm intimidated by it!

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really need to get back to DQ11. It's so good! It's also so damned huge I'm intimidated by it!

same

it's also hard

• Options
    Does DQ11 still have random battles like the old ones? I couldn't get into 8 because of it, despite the wonderful presentation and atmosphere

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Does DQ11 still have random battles like the old ones? I couldn't get into 8 because of it, despite the wonderful presentation and atmosphere

No, you can see enemies on the world map and they're fairly easy to avoid if you'd like.

• Options
    Yeah, there's a dash where you can easily avoid basically any enemy.

Also, in the 3DS version of 8 they also made monsters visible so you can avoid them more easily in that as well.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    That's cool. I remember that you could do a similar thing in the PS2 version of DQ8, but you had to beat the game to unlock it or something, which...no.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    unfortunately you need to grind in 11

you won't get enough levels organically

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm only about 6 hours in but I've found the grinding pretty painless so far.

• Options
    Eh... I don't think it's much harder than the other DQ games? I know some of the postgame stuff is a bit rough but @Janson found a fairly reliable method of powerleveling that meant she didn't have to grind TOO much.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I would absolutely play a Dungeon Architect
    e: like in the fantasy trope sense not the realistic medieval prison sense

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

I only really ran into this during the third act.

I DID do side quests as they became available though, which may have lead to getting just a little ahead of the game’s planned level curve.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I miss Dungeon Keeper so so much. A version where it's just the 'monster habitat/jail' parts would be a dream game to me, the combat was more a chore to get through in order to get to more room expansion/management. I've tried some of the Dungeons titles but they're missing that 'spark'.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

I DID do side quests as they became available though, which may have lead to getting just a little ahead of the game’s planned level curve.

I had to grind for the dessert bug thing with the wimpy prince who liked to crit and one shot my dudes

• Options

I'm okay with a certain amount of grinding as long as random battles don't interrupt the flow of the game that I choose. Random battles should have been over after Earthbound ffs

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    What is the premise of prison architect

You literally plan, build, hire employees for, purchase supplies for, accept prisoners to, meet requirements for government grants for, and manage a prison like it was Dwarf Fortress.

The devs put a lot of research into getting the details for how prisons work right, and I remember seeing dev blogs about how it was negatively affecting their moods and mental health. Like others have said, I can see how it makes for an interesting product and how people can enjoy it on the most surface level, but it's really hard to not think of how it reflects reality.

• Options

I had to grind for the dessert bug thing with the wimpy prince who liked to crit and one shot my dudes

I think that was the point where I got ahead of the curve. There’s a side quest to use a certain pep attack there and I could not for the life of me get my peps to line up.

• Options
    On that note if you play dq11 and decide to do the pep attack side quests wait til you have 5 or 6 characters so you can swap one out when they pep up and bring them back when the other character is also pepped for the quest.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular

I think that was the point where I got ahead of the curve. There’s a side quest to use a certain pep attack there and I could not for the life of me get my peps to line up.

Tip: when you get that quest, save it for when you get more people in your party. Then, when someone gets pepped up, you can switch them with your backups, saving their peppiness until they all are pepped.

• Options
    Too bad I outleveled you and was able to get that post in faster.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    DQ11:

The only grinding I absolutely had to do was for the boss Tentacular. However, a) party members joining give a decent indication of where you should be at that time. When Rab and Jade joined my party I was a couple of levels lower than them, so it’s not a surprise I failed. Also, apparently there’s a cannon you can pick up to help you in that fight that I completely missed.

I also did grinding in Act 3, post-game, which was somewhat necessary, but the grinding here is easily exploited and painless.

I completed Act 2 on normal difficulty around level 50. I’m not a great DQ player by any means, so level 50 should be doable for anyone!

Exploited way of grinding is found here

It sounds complicated but it actually is painless and it actually does work reliably. Took me under 2 hrs to go from level 60 to level 99. Break that up with side quests and it’s really not grueling at all.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Azkaban Architect

Superjail architect. Whatever happened to Superjail anyway?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The RE2 demo only allows you to play it once, for 30 minutes

What a weird thing. I don't mind it much, I'm mostly interested in the demo as a benchmarking tool for the actual game

Demo's out on the 11th!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The RE2 demo only allows you to play it once, for 30 minutes

What a weird thing. I don't mind it much, I'm mostly interested in the demo as a benchmarking tool for the actual game

Demo's out on the 11th!

Hope nobody has a bandwidth cap!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I miss Dungeon Keeper so so much. A version where it's just the 'monster habitat/jail' parts would be a dream game to me, the combat was more a chore to get through in order to get to more room expansion/management. I've tried some of the Dungeons titles but they're missing that 'spark'.

Have you tried War for the Overworld? It's the spiritual successor with the same voice actor for the narrator and you can do some twisted fantasy stuff in there.

My favorite comes from the DLC Heart of Gold though.
    So you can turn Heroes in your jail into statues of gold that can be mined for some quick cash.

Well you get a minion that is an animated gold statue.

So you're converting heroes to gold, breaking them down, and melting them into animated statues. Pretty messed up and I love it. :twisted:

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.team17.com/my-time-at-portia-is-leaving-early-access/my-time-at-portia/

Fantasy-themed Harvest Moon-like craft-em-up My Time At Portia leaves early access on January 15th (with a $10 price increase), and is also coming to consoles in Spring.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Anyone here play that? I thought it looked good and was waiting until full release. Just a 3D Stardew? Doing it's own thing?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    give me a good dungeon keeper 3 kthx

• Options
    Anyone here play that? I thought it looked good and was waiting until full release. Just a 3D Stardew? Doing it's own thing?

I think they put out a playable alpha way back. It felt like one-of-those-games with a pretty neat look? But again, alpha, no idea what's going on in it by now

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Have you tried War for the Overworld? It's the spiritual successor with the same voice actor for the narrator and you can do some twisted fantasy stuff in there.

My favorite comes from the DLC Heart of Gold though.
    So you can turn Heroes in your jail into statues of gold that can be mined for some quick cash.

Well you get a minion that is an animated gold statue.

So you're converting heroes to gold, breaking them down, and melting them into animated statues. Pretty messed up and I love it. :twisted:

No, most of what I heard was it was it was 'tuned' more towards multiplayer and combat. Do you feel that's accurate?

• Options
    I’ll probably pick up My Time At Portia for the Switch.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I remember reading some interesting interviews with the devs over the course of Prison Architect, about how they'd really intended to tell a story through mechanics about how awful for profit prisons are, and how they incentivise awful structures and treatment.

And then players started asking to at least have the option to try to do things with rehabilitation and education vourses and whatnot, and thry just kept on expanding what the game was

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/8/18173722/wandersong-steam-fake-game-restrictions
    Valve slaps Wandersong, a very real game, with fake-game restrictions
    Developer Greg Lobanov tells Polygon that Valve first flagged Wandersong when it launched in September; that its veracity remains under deliberation is a surprise.

“I figured it would clear soon, since, I mean... the game is obviously real ... and other games I checked that had launched just before us had passed ... so I left it at that,” Lobanov says about the lacking Steam features, which first came to his attention in October. An automated message from the platform’s support services assured him that all games went through this process, he tells us.

He now knows that’s not quite the case. Even as user reviews climbed, pushing the game’s review average to “very positive” (there are only three negative reviews out of 269 at time of writing), the Steam version of Wandersong remains at Valve’s mercy.
    We’ve reached out to Valve about if and when it will determine whether Wandersong counts as a legitimate game. Lobanov isn’t especially optimistic about that happening — “the algorithm guides all decisions and no human will intervene until the algorithm deems us worthy” — but at least he has critical acclaim and several nominations to write home about.
    All hail the algorithm.

This discussion has been closed.