As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Voidship & God Eater 3 out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah you couldn't get a fireball Crit in 2e, but Edwin would be exploded if he got hit by a stray glance, so any number of things could have done that.

Brolo on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's why I never go to bars with darts. You get hit with one of those suckers really hard and your whole body explodes.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    welp guess I don't know what I'm talking about then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I figured it out
    but if a party member is taken to -10 hp or lower in a single hit, they will be destroyed completely

Poor edwin stood to close to the sun in bg 1

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Pillars went through some pretty hefty revisions around the DLC launches so not everything below is current.

The main idea behind Pillars is that all stats do things for everyone. And that the stats aren't weighed too heavily.

And the attack roll isn't success/fail, but crit/hit/graze/miss depending on by how you beat/fail the target defense.

The effect this has is that it becomes very buff / debuff heavy. Attack roll debuffs reduce crits and increase misses at the same time. And the buff effects are large compared to the inherent stats.

They gutted the tanking mechanics it had at launch, when you could almost mmo style steer enemies.

Unfortunately, for me at least, always going through buff/rebuff cycles for any fight combined with having so many fights per map became uninteresting.

I still like the game a lot but I would advice anyone to think real hard if you're considering playing above normal.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Sheer fight density is the biggest problem with BG-style games. Making me go through 10 identical enemy encounters on every map just kind of makes the game a slog. Pathfinder Kingmaker is super guilty of this.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Modern Earth and Mythological Earth collide in Breach, a third person action RPG with fast-paced combat. Create your own character and choose from dozens of classes. Take your character on missions across the globe in Solo, Co-op, or Versus modes.
    Jan 17 - Breach (Early Access)
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/421650/Breach/

This looks kinda good. I can't tell how it actually plays though. More like Diablo or more like a 3rd person action game?

@captaink It's a third-person mission-based action game. This game is basically made by former Bioware Austin devs who left the company after EA killed Shadow realms. They decided to make their own studio and basically took every game concept that was originally going to be Shadow Realms and developed this game. So much so that the Wikipedia description for Shadow Realms is nearly wholesale applicable as a description of the gameplay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Realms
    Shadow Realms was designed as an episodic four-versus-one action role-playing game. Players would choose from six classes: Warrior, Assassin, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlock, or play against the Heroes as the Shadowlord. Each class featured special attacks, abilities, and strengths.

The game featured co-operative, third-person missions in an evolving world. Episodes would release frequently, adding new elements to the game. Players would also decide their paths through the story. Character and combat customization options progressed a Hero or Shadowlord to a player's style. This included guns, axes, and fireballs. Players could also mix abilities regardless of their class.

Four-player teams combated a fifth-player Shadowlord who controlled creatures, set traps, and changed the environment. Shadowlords remained unseen until they possessed a monster, cast a spell, or chose to reveal themselves.

There are some differences however, namely it takes place during a near-future time period instead, and there is a much larger variation in available classes for both humans and Veil Demons(this game's name for Shadowlords) relative to what Shadow Realms was going to offer.

The game's in paid Early Access right now, eventually switching to f2p as it gets closer to release. Monetization after release will be done by way of unlocking classes(you can also optionally grind them out over time) and a rotating wardrobe of cosmetic options - actual gear is primarily from mission drops. I think my only complaint at this point is that the cosmetics are probably a bit too pricey right now.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The best in BG is a party member being turned to stone and then hours later finally finding a stone to flesh scroll and completely forgetting where the stoned party member is.

Tho was that BG or gold box era?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The best in BG is a party member being turned to stone and then hours later finally finding a stone to flesh scroll and completely forgetting where the stoned party member is.

BG; in Gold Box, your stoned party member stayed with you.

• Options

It was bg 1, and they were in the circus area.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Modern Earth and Mythological Earth collide in Breach, a third person action RPG with fast-paced combat. Create your own character and choose from dozens of classes. Take your character on missions across the globe in Solo, Co-op, or Versus modes.

This looks kinda good. I can't tell how it actually plays though. More like Diablo or more like a 3rd person action game?

@captaink It's a third-person mission-based action game. This game is basically made by former Bioware Austin devs who left the company after EA killed Shadow realms. They decided to make their own studio and basically took every game concept that was originally going to be Shadow Realms and developed this game. So much so that the Wikipedia description for Shadow Realms is nearly wholesale applicable as a description of the gameplay.

Shadow Realms was designed as an episodic four-versus-one action role-playing game. Players would choose from six classes: Warrior, Assassin, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlock, or play against the Heroes as the Shadowlord. Each class featured special attacks, abilities, and strengths.

The game featured co-operative, third-person missions in an evolving world. Episodes would release frequently, adding new elements to the game. Players would also decide their paths through the story. Character and combat customization options progressed a Hero or Shadowlord to a player's style. This included guns, axes, and fireballs. Players could also mix abilities regardless of their class.

Four-player teams combated a fifth-player Shadowlord who controlled creatures, set traps, and changed the environment. Shadowlords remained unseen until they possessed a monster, cast a spell, or chose to reveal themselves.

There are some differences however, namely it takes place during a near-future time period instead, and there is a much larger variation in available classes for both humans and Veil Demons(this game's name for Shadowlords) relative to what Shadow Realms was going to offer.

The game's in paid Early Access right now, eventually switching to f2p as it gets closer to release. Monetization after release will be done by way of unlocking classes(you can also optionally grind them out over time) and a rotating wardrobe of cosmetic options - actual gear is primarily from mission drops. I think my only complaint at this point is that the cosmetics are probably a bit too pricey right now.

I had no idea it was 4v1. Or that it was more repeatable/arena based. I'll probably wait until I can give it a try for free but it does look interesting.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

BG; in Gold Box, your stoned party member stayed with you.

Nothing like carrying the stone statue of your friend around until you find a cure.

"What the fuck happened to my finger?!"
    "Sorry, Bob, there's where we dropped you"

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We would've cured you sooner, but Jan cast the first two scrolls of Stone to Flesh on statues he thought he recognized as long lost family members.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why can't I use stone to flesh to turn regular stone to flesh?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    That’s a horrifying image...

• Options
    edited January 2019
    never die wrote: »

You apparently can turn regular stone to flesh under the D&D rules.
    "The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse)"
    I am now mad the various D&D games wouldn't let me turn statues into corpses.

Nethack has a stone to flesh spell that is pretty useful.
    • Disposing of boulders blocking your path. If in Sokoban, this carries the standard -1 luck penalty.
    • Turning boulders into huge chunks of meat. These give enormous amounts of nutrition, so beware of choking to death.
    • Turning rocks into meatballs. These give little nutrition, but are considered treats by carnivorous monsters, and can thus be used to tame or train pets. Also, getting a few stacks of meatballs and polypiling them for a little while can yield enough lembas wafers to last the entire game.
    • Getting rid of a carried cursed loadstone.
    • Getting rid of a cursed harmful ring made of gemstone or mineral material -- it will turn into a harmless meat ring, which will still be cursed but can be eaten to get rid of it.
    • Identifying gems -- valuable gems become meatballs, while glass is unaffected. This does not identify types of gems, either formally or informally, and of course results in the loss of the formerly valuable gems. The best strategy for this method of identification is to type-name all gems in your possession to "valuable" (or append "valuable" to their type-names), then place one representative from each stack in a pile. Cast the spell at the pile, and type-name any remaining gems to "worthless".
    • Turning a statue into the creature it depicts, especially a petrified pet.
    • Uncancelling or transporting a monster by first stoning it and then stone-to-fleshing the resulting statue. This does not work on nymphs and foocubi, and temple priests will stop tending their altar.
    • Turning a stone golem into a somewhat less threatening flesh golem, the corpse of which may also provide useful intrinsics.

Couscous on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Oh hey I had no idea that the Shadow Realms team got to go on to make their studio. Neat! I hope it works out for them, the pitch sounded cool.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

You apparently can turn regular stone to flesh under the D&D rules.
    "The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse)"
    I am now mad the various D&D games wouldn't let me turn statues into corpses.

Nethack has a stone to flesh spell that is pretty useful.
    • Disposing of boulders blocking your path. If in Sokoban, this carries the standard -1 luck penalty.
    • Turning boulders into huge chunks of meat. These give enormous amounts of nutrition, so beware of choking to death.
    • Turning rocks into meatballs. These give little nutrition, but are considered treats by carnivorous monsters, and can thus be used to tame or train pets. Also, getting a few stacks of meatballs and polypiling them for a little while can yield enough lembas wafers to last the entire game.
    • Getting rid of a carried cursed loadstone.
    • Getting rid of a cursed harmful ring made of gemstone or mineral material -- it will turn into a harmless meat ring, which will still be cursed but can be eaten to get rid of it.
    • Identifying gems -- valuable gems become meatballs, while glass is unaffected. This does not identify types of gems, either formally or informally, and of course results in the loss of the formerly valuable gems. The best strategy for this method of identification is to type-name all gems in your possession to "valuable" (or append "valuable" to their type-names), then place one representative from each stack in a pile. Cast the spell at the pile, and type-name any remaining gems to "worthless".
    • Turning a statue into the creature it depicts, especially a petrified pet.
    • Uncancelling or transporting a monster by first stoning it and then stone-to-fleshing the resulting statue. This does not work on nymphs and foocubi, and temple priests will stop tending their altar.
    • Turning a stone golem into a somewhat less threatening flesh golem, the corpse of which may also provide useful intrinsics.
    If you petrify a bunch of meatballs, can some of them turn into gems?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Update for FNG tonight (4pm PST/7pm EST) Dissociater and I will be playing The Division for an hour on new characters then anything goes.

Anyone is welcome to join us.

Karoz on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Identifying gems -- valuable gems become meatballs, while glass is unaffected.

This is hilarious to me because whilst true, all your left with is glass and meatballs.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think installing Pillars of Eternity has turned my PC into a time machine because I just woke up and sat down to play it and now it's night time?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Identifying gems -- valuable gems become meatballs, while glass is unaffected.

This is hilarious to me because whilst true, all your left with is glass and meatballs.

Just like life, maaaan

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The numbers in this article are wild.

PUBG made $1.03 billion in 2018. Fortnite made $2.4 billion.

GTA V, which initially released in 2013, made $628 million.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    7b4nbLK.jpg

cripes, haven't heard of some of these

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    wow DFO made 1.5B!?!?!

jesus christ that is wild

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The thing that weirds me out about a lot of games now is how isolated they are. There's massively successful games running under the radar. Usually they're live-services.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    They always feel like fake game names you would see on a TV show.

Fate/Grand Order at least feels like a normal Japanse videogame name.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The thing that weirds me out about a lot of games now is how isolated they are. There's massively successful games running under the radar. Usually they're live-services.

I noticed that a few years ago that while League of Legends was hugely popular you could easily not know that if you just follow existing games media.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    7b4nbLK.jpg

cripes, haven't heard of some of these

That's over 13 billion dollars, good lord.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I'm pleasantly surprised about seeing Pokémon Go on there, I remember people calling it dead a month or two after launch

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I have not heard of half of those games. I assume they're mobile "pay or wait insanely long times" games.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I'm pleasantly surprised about seeing Pokémon Go on there, I remember people calling it dead a month or two after launch

Niantic does really interesting things with the money, too. Like, they're still supporting and reinvesting in Ingress, including building out the lore through ARG events and community-driven RPG stuff. The type of nerdy, surprisingly-expensive stuff that isn't especially profitable.

It ain't for me, but it's definitely more interesting than "Yachts aplenty for executives"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I think DFO is super popular in korea, don't hear about it that much in the west though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    trY4IPQ.png

I want to know what % of these profits are from microtransactions within the game.

• Options
    I'm interested in knowing what their source for these numbers is also. Are these guesstimates or hard data from the publishers?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm interested in knowing what their source for these numbers is also. Are these guesstimates or hard data from the publishers?

Superdata is dubious in a way vgchartz wishes it was. They don't disclose their methods and for the general public to even get a direct look at any of these reports they charge hundreds to thousands up-front, based on the report.

• Options
    hmm so big grain of salt then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's good to see Honour of Kings² doing exponentially better than its predecessor.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I don't wanna know what kinda nightmare poop you have after eating a cursed ring turned flesh

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    No see its perfect because I have cursed poops all the time, so passing a cursed ring is just another day for my bowels.

This discussion has been closed.