As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legacy [Chat]ing

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i have been in fighting distance of more sharks than that person

and only 1 of those times was I wearing chainmail (tomorrow! excited!)

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    kosh I used to love warren ellis's blog

I felt like he really embraced the internet I enjoyed, where it was all interesting musings and weird shit he found, composed into blog posts on a keyboard and his telephone from a smoky pub

the whole idea of blogs seems weirdly quaint now but I miss them

"oh, there's a place where interesting people talk at length about subjects relevant to me? neat!"

the purity of that ideal has devolved into the reality of the 300-installment tweetstorm and I feel something has been lost

The internet's initial promise really faded away quite quickly once it transpired that people are terrible.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Sleep wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    ruby is used in ruby on rails which is a popular framework for startups because it allows you to get a product to market pretty quickly

and then burst into flame and die as soon as they try to scale it

or a user does something even slightly unexpected

or a moth flutters though the server room

or the servers uptime hits 5 whole minutes and that can't be allowed so it just self immolates

rk3x7ika27nk.jpg

The QA engineer is fired, the architect is paid to build another bar

I'm not defending management tier bros but I'm tentatively comfortable firing QA if the shipped software fails in the main use case

And yet not the dude that delivered a program that fails the main use case.

i guess you want both to be fired?

i could construct a situation where QA should not be, if they reported it constantly and nobody did anything, or where the architect should not be, if it was designed right and worked for most of the development and a late Changelist broke the main feature and QA never noticed

we don't even have an actual issue to discuss i was just thrown by your comment because it seemed as if you were suggesting QA was probably innocent in most cases of catastrophic launch and I think that's a tough sell

I want neither fired. Everyone makes mistakes, including the QA. Why I have to be perfect while all the people I'm propping up can be total fuckups will always be infuriating.

Im mostly just grousing cause i have a release coming up tomorrow that not a single change was properly logged for. Im essentially confirming central functionality and rolling the dice cause I can't know all of what has actually changed, where, or how.

Sleep on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I felt like he really embraced the internet I enjoyed, where it was all interesting musings and weird shit he found, composed into blog posts on a keyboard and his telephone from a smoky pub

"oh, there's a place where interesting people talk at length about subjects relevant to me? neat!"

the purity of that ideal has devolved into the reality of the 300-installment tweetstorm and I feel something has been lost

The internet's initial promise really faded away quite quickly once it transpired that people are terrible.

We spent all of the internet magic points on Wikipedia.

I mean it has it's problems but there's no way that experiment should've worked at all.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Let me respond to this.

1 of 2002 Twitter is an evocative...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    One time I fought a shark.
    Now I'm a ghost.
    Now I fight ghost sharks. :cool: :cool:
    Now I'm a double ghost :(

OH SHIT

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    webster’s dictionary defines twitter as 1/400

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Preacher wrote: »

Let me respond to this.

1 of 2002 Twitter is an evocative...

an authentic chill crept down my spine just now

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    The word dates back to the very beginning of modern Japan, the Meiji era (1868-1912) and has its origins in a pun. Tsundoku, which literally means reading pile, is written in Japanese as 積ん読. Tsunde oku means to let something pile up and is written 積んでおく. Some wag around the turn of the century swapped out that oku (おく) in tsunde oku for doku (読) – meaning to read. Then since tsunde doku is hard to say, the word got mushed together to form tsundoku.

“Tsundoku,” the Japanese Word for the New Books That Pile Up on Our Shelves, Should Enter the English Language

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    ruby is used in ruby on rails which is a popular framework for startups because it allows you to get a product to market pretty quickly

or the servers uptime hits 5 whole minutes and that can't be allowed so it just self immolates

rk3x7ika27nk.jpg

I'm not defending management tier bros but I'm tentatively comfortable firing QA if the shipped software fails in the main use case

i could construct a situation where QA should not be, if they reported it constantly and nobody did anything, or where the architect should not be, if it was designed right and worked for most of the development and a late Changelist broke the main feature and QA never noticed

we don't even have an actual issue to discuss i was just thrown by your comment because it seemed as if you were suggesting QA was probably innocent in most cases of catastrophic launch and I think that's a tough sell

I want neither fired. Everyone makes mistakes, including the QA. Why I have to be perfect while all the people I'm propping up can be total fuckups will always be infuriating.

Im mostly just grousing cause i have a release coming up tomorrow that not a single change was properly logged for. Im essentially confirming central functionality and rolling the dice cause I can't know what has actually changed, where, or how.

yeah almost all software QA is unempowered and structured to guarantee failure

as practiced it's a stupid waste of time

I've known some gifted practitioners and it's interesting to see how they react to the bullshit

One workaholic complained to he boyfriend in tears that another had checked out and stopped contributing, but the guy kept collecting a paycheck same as if he'd been busting his ass for 18 months before he moved to greener pastures?

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

I mean it has it's problems but there's no way that experiment should've worked at all.
    Well Wikipedia is held together entirely by sad nerds who spend all of their time editing, so there's still time for it to collapse

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Well Wikipedia is held together entirely by sad nerds who spend all of their time editing, so there's still time for it to collapse

are you implying we’ll ever run out of sad nerds with nitpicking obsessions because

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is kind of insane. This is a 44 mile wide open pit coal mine in Germany.

MHMIS3ENO4YYXKSUEFU2GRHXTY.jpg

Germany is setting a literal date to end all use of coal in the country but even so the mind is expanding and has destroyed towns completely as it goes. When they are done 12 villages will be destroyed and 5,800 people will be relocated for a mine that has a shutdown date coming.

Its nuts.

WashPo story on this

The mine is suppose to done expanding and such in 2045, almost a decade after Germany may end all use of coal.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chanus wrote: »

are you implying we’ll ever run out of sad nerds with nitpicking obsessions because

https://en.wikipedia.or/List_of_sad_nerds_with_nitpicking_obsessions

• Options
    i loled jacob

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    DK old post-

We have what you might refer to as "free-roaming" robots.

Every location that is potentially co-habitable has policy that puts the onus of safety is on the human and barring a catastrophic mechanical failure any accident is the fault of a human.

• Options

rk3x7ika27nk.jpg

Im mostly just grousing cause i have a release coming up tomorrow that not a single change was properly logged for. Im essentially confirming central functionality and rolling the dice cause I can't know what has actually changed, where, or how.

yeah almost all software QA is unempowered and structured to guarantee failure

as practiced it's a stupid waste of time

I've known some gifted practitioners and it's interesting to see how they react to the bullshit

One workaholic complained to he boyfriend in tears that another had checked out and stopped contributing, but the guy kept collecting a paycheck same as if he'd been busting his ass for 18 months before he moved to greener pastures?

Needless to say im like a fuckin judo master of throwing people under buses.

I mean i have a nervous break about every 2 years from all the stress but i've gotten used to it at this point.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't think it is unreasonable to think some people just edit wikipedia as a hobby and aren't smelly basement trolls.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I don't think it is unreasonable to think some people just edit wikipedia as a hobby and aren't smelly basement trolls.

everyone is a smelly basement nerd

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/List_of_sad_nerds_with_nitpicking_obsessions
    Oh, your URL is broken. I fixed it! I'm helpful!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Someday

Someday I will be a smelly whole house troll

*stares longingly out of basement window*

• Options

everyone is a smelly basement nerd

Gimme your lunch money nerd! Now make like a tree and get outta here!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/List_of_sad_nerds_with_nitpicking_obsessions
    Oh, your URL is broken. I fixed it! I'm helpful!

may i just say how disappointed i am the “opting out” section isn’t a list of names

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Sure they do, but the overwhelming majority of edits are by a handful of users. And (suprise) the overwhelming majority of those are white males

• Options
    Someday

You should add smell-o-vision to your twitch stream.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I worked at a place where the QA was a literal cargo cult.

Some competent devs had written tests and automation suites years and years ago. Then those devs all moved on, QA got subcontracted, then outsourced. The testers had no idea what the tests did, or what it meant when they failed, and certainly did nothing to update them as the product changed. I was in a team that managed (among other things) physical test boxes. We'd just reinstall the OS on these as they were destroyed by the tests, which were marked as hardware failure and no bugs filed. Other tests never did a thing because the parts of the product they were testing no longer existed, the default values it returned were enough to pass.

Millions and millions of dollars wasted on this whole system.

And people say the government is full of inefficiency.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    And now

A DC spiderman movie

Spiderman grabs Kingpin

throws him 2 miles away into a building where he explodes into a mass of gore

credits roll

• Options
    Sure they do, but the overwhelming majority of edits are by a handful of users. And (suprise) the overwhelming majority of those are white males

According to?

Not snarking, just wondering where this data claim is coming from.

• Options
    they have a thing now where electrical signals can simulate taste so it’s only a matter of time before robust smell-o-vision is a reality we can all enjoy

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Some competent devs had written tests and automation suites years and years ago. Then those devs all moved on, QA got subcontracted, then outsourced. The testers had no idea what the tests did, or what it meant when they failed, and certainly did nothing to update them as the product changed. I was in a team that managed (among other things) physical test boxes. We'd just reinstall the OS on these as they were destroyed by the tests, which were marked as hardware failure and no bugs filed. Other tests never did a thing because the parts of the product they were testing no longer existed, the default values it returned were enough to pass.

A few months ago, right before i moved to this department, an engineer was ordered to manually shave plastic off some power cords so they could fit into desktop PCs, because they had a little nub and were for something else

he spent 6 hours in one day doing this producing 10 power cords

this is someone who makes over 100k a year and power cords cost around a dollar

Whenever anyone gives government excessive shit or refers to the free market as lean and efficient I wonder if they've ever actually had a job before

override367 on
  • Options
    they have a thing now where electrical signals can simulate taste so it’s only a matter of time before robust smell-o-vision is a reality we can all enjoy

Let's get high on soma and go to the feelies

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2018
    I wish there was a CMS as good as Drupal but written in something other than PHP.

Drupal 8 using a composer build in a docker container, running headless for a cluster of node angular front ends.

@Feral

All the strength of the Drupal auth gateway, content, taxonomy, etc - and PHP becomes liquid fast architecture and not front end pain.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Someday

You should add smell-o-vision to your twitch stream.

ehhhh

ehhhhh

no

• Options

My wife works for a major insurer. They constantly add new systems and programs, but things aren't unified into a clear and cohesive system. Rather than fix it they just train people to use an increasing amount of systems. More than any one person can keep straight. So they constantly screw things up and have to spend tons more in labor to fix it. But they won't fix the IT systems because that would cost a lot.

All they see is the upfront price tag.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

When we started outsourcing our contractors for QA to some firm in India, this is basically what happened. I was leading a team of them remotely, and they'd send back a lot of nonsensical things that followed our test cases to the letter, but were nonetheless worthless. The worst part is that I had to regress all of their issues to make sure that it actually happened on our hardware, and 90% of their issues were nothingburgers. Ugh.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Not to spill the tea, but this chat is on fleek, bae

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

Automation as a replacement for competent QA is literally my favorite fuckup to watch. Automation as QA is great if you're never gonna change your system... but uh given there's devs making changes we need to test... some folks are probably gonna need to update the automation, and just having the other dev on the project do it is... problematic at best (there's a reason we're here to check their work).
    It's hilarious the lengths most places will go to in order to not pay for quality assurance.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Corporations are always pushing metrics without any regard to what pressure to change a single metric means on the ground. Calls need to be shorter! Food needs to come out faster! Labor cost needs to be lower!

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Corporations are always pushing metrics without any regard to what pressure to change a single metric means on the ground. Calls need to be shorter! Food needs to come out faster! Labor cost needs to be lower!

Oh as QA metrics are my favorite. Nothing like a ticket that takes 10 minutes to code and a week and a half to test.

Why aren't you clearing more tickets!?

Sleep on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Automation as a replacement for competent QA is literally my favorite fuckup to watch. Automation as QA is great if you're never gonna change your system... but uh given there's devs making changes we need to test... some folks are probably gonna need to update the automation, and just having the other dev on the project do it is... problematic at best (there's a reason we're here to check their work).
    It's hilarious the lengths most places will go to in order to not pay for quality assurance.

Its funny I work for the government as a contractor and one of the big things is our QA. Two QA teams, the dev and one we run directly for the gov.

Still find shit, and the dev code is crap but QA catches 99% of the terrible bad bugs before they go anywhere.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.