As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades II] These deities are hotter than Hades (Early Access Q2!)

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    My Megaera Nendoroid arrived today so now I have this great trio.

zWnd64E.jpg

prtd4c9yhs0r.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I actually love the Poseidon dash the most, wall squishing never gets old and you can get that damage high.

I’ll have to go back to playing that at some point. I was absorbed for a few weeks but stopped just shy of getting my Olympic buddies to visit.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Meg is like 2 feet taller than Zagreus but drawn shorter, hmmm

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Meg is like 2 feet taller than Zagreus but drawn shorter, hmmm

It's a curious choice, the internet is usually super fucking ready for an enormously tall woman to step on them or whatever

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athena Dash was key to most of my early clears but Poseidon Dash + bonus dash fists made my most bonkers builds. I think I had like a 13 minute clear with one of those setups.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    AAD

Always Athena Dash

Also that, but that's just a default in every run I can

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I steadily climbed the Heat until 32 on everything (except the spear, which I got up to 27 or 28; for whatever reason it didn’t click with me). I think I had one 33-34 clear.

The game stops being as fun in the high 20s. The fact that somebody organically cleared a 64 Heat run sounds like reaching the center of the earth exclusively through headbutting the ground.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    AAD

Always Athena Dash

The reflect is definitely hilarious but the other dashes are just as good.

And all of them make you damage immune. Something that took me way too long to figure out.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I think the Athena i-frames are more forgiving though

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I’m pretty sure the number of i-frames is the same. The reason it feels more generous is because other dashes can take a hit on the tail end of the i-frames if the attack you’re dodging still has an active hitbox. Athena dash deletes hitboxes it connects with.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The deflect mechanic also prevents some attacks from following through and hitting you or restricting your movement.

So while technically it doesn't increase your iframes in practice it significantly increases your survivability during and after dashes.

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Athena dash definitely makes things easier.

I think I cleared after about 40 runs. iirc I was getting new story events and changeups every single time. It's tricky to state how "difficult" Hades really is because you don't really have to win all that much to advance the game. What is the difference between failure and success? There's not a clear demarcation to me. Which is the basic reason why it is such a brilliant game in the first place.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    In my early clears, I always found extra dashes to be the most useful to the way I played. Adding a dash effect to those extra dashes helped, but just having the extra dashes made things way easier.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    You bastards just made me reinstall this and I am about to start up a completely new run for the first time in over a year.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    You bastards just made me reinstall this and I am about to start up a completely new run for the first time in over a year.

Mission Accomplished everyone!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

I don't quite remember how far I got in the Epilogue and...I am almost certain I didn't trigger a few big events I've seen discussed here.

Instead of jumping into my save I almost certainly going to start a new file.

Actually, fuck it. I have my steam deck on vacation let's do this.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vontre wrote: »

I think I cleared after about 40 runs. iirc I was getting new story events and changeups every single time. It's tricky to state how "difficult" Hades really is because you don't really have to win all that much to advance the game. What is the difference between failure and success? There's not a clear demarcation to me. Which is the basic reason why it is such a brilliant game in the first place.

I think as long as you can make it to Elysium you can progress most story beats you only need to "beat " the game a handful of times

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vontre wrote: »

I think as long as you can make it to Elysium you can progress most story beats you only need to "beat " the game a handful of times

Yeah. There's some unique dialog for various conditions and such when you beat it (first time you get each of the hidden aspects to the final boss, for instance), but rolling credits is like, some single-digit number of clears. The epilogue stuff doesn't really require any more clears, just lots of runs to meet all the conditions I think?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I think credits is exactly 10? It’s not more than that.

And yeah there are specific character stories but the super epilogue is like, max hearts with every Olympian or something?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    shadowane wrote: »
    In my early clears, I always found extra dashes to be the most useful to the way I played. Adding a dash effect to those extra dashes helped, but just having the extra dashes made things way easier.

Extra dashes make the Hades fight (and most fights) much easier, I think. No longer will you clip me with the final spinning attack because I couldn't get out of range, you fucker.

I got up to 16 heat with the fists before putting the game down, which I found to be much the easiest weapon. Dash-strike, attack, dash-strike, attack, super when the multiple hits load, repeat until map clear.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »

Extra dashes make the Hades fight (and most fights) much easier, I think. No longer will you clip me with the final spinning attack because I couldn't get out of range, you fucker.

I got up to 16 heat with the fists before putting the game down, which I found to be much the easiest weapon. Dash-strike, attack, dash-strike, attack, super when the multiple hits load, repeat until map clear.

Yeah I was thinking of the Hades fight specifically. Without extra dashes, the timing to avoid his attacks is a lot tighter. If you have extra dashes, you can accidentally dash earlier and still get out of the way.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Almost cleared Meg on the third run, but I did activate Hell Mode, which I might start over again with it off.

I was happy to see my preferred method of dying by dashing into a trap still persists.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The pact that increases trap damage deserves to give more than 1 Heat, it’s actually buck wild how many times it has just taken a sledgehammer to one of my runs

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The pact that increases trap damage deserves to give more than 1 Heat, it’s actually buck wild how many times it has just taken a sledgehammer to one of my runs

Me: The traps are so obvious once you know to look for them. It's an easy heat. I can do this.

Narrator: He could not.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I think I played with increased trap damage once.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Me: The traps are so obvious once you know to look for them. It's an easy heat. I can do this.

Narrator: He could not.

I think I've said this before in this thread, but one of the things I appreciate about Hades is how the final boss uses every mechanic. (Also, I'm a mark for mirror matches, and they use almost everything Zagreus has available when wielding a Spear.)

The jars are considered "traps" for damage calculation purposes. That means the Athena boon that helps with trap damage gives you resistance against them. ... and the Heat setting that increases them raises their damage by 400%.

Yeah, that one really ought to count for more.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    To be fair if you get hit by the jars it usually just means you weren't proactive enough in clearing them - another plus for athena dash the constant damage aura means you can just turbo-dash around and break most jars for free in a few seconds - though sometimes you can get trapped by the lazors and it sucks

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I think credits is exactly 10? It’s not more than that.

And yeah there are specific character stories but the super epilogue is like, max hearts with every Olympian or something?

I want to say it's 6 Olympians? It certainly isn't all of them as that wouldn't be possible.

Even then I was still unlocking conversations (something like 100+ successful runs).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    25 escapes into the new run and the old man is down for the first time.

Edit: Also, for those of you who like those little mental bets with yourselves - or if you have an extremely degenerate bookie who is somehow also into Supergiant - may I suggest What Weapon Did Judge Escape Out Of Hell With First On His New Run?
    3uidj5n5mwqd.png

Whole lot of that going on, yeah.

The Judge on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I decided to replay this. I'm still managing to be surprised by some of the combinations that I'm getting.

In this last run, I used the Rail. I put Doom on the special and for reasons that I can only blame on temporary insanity, I put deflect on the normal attack. When I got a hammer, the only fated choice that I had left was the triple bombs, which has sort of anti-synergy with Doom since multiple hits will only apply it once.

Anyone who is extremely familiar with Hades can probably guess where this is going.
    I pulled the Ares/Athena duo boon, which causes deflect attacks to instantly trigger doom with a damage bonus. With a tiny bit of spacing on the special, my normal attacks could hit fast enough to trigger all three doom effects on the special. My build suddenly jumped from being terrible to being pretty strong, and I got an easy clear. I wasn't even aware that the duo boon worked like that in advance, I just got really lucky.

• Options
    Credits on the 50th run. Deliberately took the only weapon I had not won with (Rail) for the last attempt to snag the achievement. Cheap? Undoubtedly. The Fates can bill me.

3 Fists, 2 Bows, 2 Spears, single for the other three. With zero surprise, data shows that Plume and Greater Haste were used on approx 25% of the attempts.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Which achievement?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Probably Master of Arms for escaping with each weapon. If there’s one weapon you really don’t like you can save it for the 10th escape and still get credit for it. I did that for the prophecy that required some of the mirror options I didn’t like using.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    What happens if you try to go 32 heat on the 10th clear? Do you still get the full credit for it?

jothki on
  • Options
    Probably?

But 32 heat is rough enough - and you can't unlock EM4 and companions until post credits anyway - that you would probably have to deliberately stall to collect enough mirror buffs to get through it. You're also quite limited on blood availability but I suppose you could plan for it

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I can confirm, the game treats a clear as a clear.
    Cheated my 32-heat clear on the latest file with the "dad lets you go" clear. The thing is that you cant get EM4 until that happens, so you have to do it with 32 "real" heat, not "just" 28 as it would be if you could have EM4 in effect.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's how I did it my first time through. I was spoiled a bit on that run being easier and aimed for it as a 32 heat run.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    ola7qxnvxc2g.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I would love to wait for the full release of Hades II, but I don't have the willpower. I wan't it too badly. I couldn't possibly have requested access to the technical test sooner.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I'm going to wait for now. I have full trust in that team to do a great job, but I don't want to start before I at least have a chance to finish the whole story.

steam_sig.png