As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Ranks 50 to 20 are exclusively for new accounts.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    forty on
  • Options
    Given the pattern of the last 3 expacs we're likely to get another hero card this spring. We have Shaman, Warrior, Hunter recently and Warlock has the OG. Which class do you guys think gets the next one?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Priest.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I predict every new card in the expansion will be a hero card.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    druid

just cause we gotta give them something

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Druid Hero card:

10 mana
    Battlecry: Deal 5 damage. Draw 5 cards. Gain 5 Armor. Summon a 5/5 Ghoul.
    Hero Power: (2 mana) Gain +2 Attack and 2 Armor

Seems about fair and balanced for a Druid card.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    druid

yes officer, this post right here

• Options
    druid

Keep in mind the development cycle is such that whatever hero card is in the next expansion, if there is one, was likely designed months before Team 5 decided to gut druid.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    druid

Keep in mind the development cycle is such that whatever hero card is in the next expansion, if there is one, was likely designed months before Team 5 decided to gut druid.

Maybe Mage then? Mage has been consistently lackluster this year. Neither Tempo/Secrets/Aluneth nor Big Spell have been particularly powerful at any point this year.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    druid

Maybe Mage then? Mage has been consistently lackluster this year. Neither Tempo/Secrets/Aluneth nor Big Spell have been particularly powerful at any point this year.

Tempo/secrets was powerful enough they nerfed a classic card off the yearly rotation in lieu of hall of faming it.

I do agree that mage would be a good candidate for a hero card, as the rotation is going to absolutely gut the class.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    druid

3clipse, show me on the card where the druid hurt you

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    druid

3clipse, show me on the card where the druid hurt you

where do I point for "literally every god damned place"

• Options
    remember when innervating a Yeti on T2 was considered busted

ahh, those were the days

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Welp, since I never get the good legendaries in packs, I said "fuck it" and crafted Jan'alai so I could run Odd Secret/Tempo mage. I also had to craft a Pyromaniac since I also always end up missing critical rares in a set even after opening 80 packs.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/deck-library/mage-decks/aggro-odd-mage/fungal-aggro-odd-mage/

I ended up going with something in between VS's and one on HSreplay that uses Nightblades. I removed one Fungalmancer for a Nightblade, just since it looked like this deck didn't necessarily have a reliable enough way to guarantee some minions for Fungalmancer value. I also have too much Odd Rogue PTSD of double Fungalmancer hands with no minions to buff, and that deck plays half as many spells as this one.

I know it's not high tier, but damn is it fun. Being able to live the dream of Double Clockwork or Clockwork + Fire-Eater to get to have a targeted Ragnaros hero power for a turn is pretty sweet.

forty on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My biggest hope when it comes to new heroes is actually cosmetic: I want obtainable male and female heroes for all classes. Not hero cards, just heroes.

For me, that means that Rogue needs a new male hero, and Warrior/Shaman/Priest need female heroes.

(Bring back Tyrande.)

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    If you offered me undead Moroes as a Rogue hero I would never play another class ever again.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If you offered me undead Moroes as a Rogue hero I would never play another class ever again.

Intro
    Hmm, unannounced visitors. Preparations must be made...
    Well played
    Hm! Seems that one had enough for the evening.
    Greetings
    May we see your invitation?
    Wow
    Oh goodness me.
    Oops
    How terribly clumsy of me.
    Threaten
    I'll drag you out by your scruff!
    or
    Mind your manners!
    Concede
    Seems I'll be... retiring... for... the evening...
    Thanks
    <Couldn't find anything relevant>

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If they gave me Bwonsamdi as a Priest Hero I would start playing again and never play another class ever.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    If they gave me Bwonsamdi as a Priest Hero I would start playing again and never play another class ever.

and then the Rastakhan portrait could go

BWONSAAAAAAAMDIIIIIIIIII. WEEEEE HAD A DEAL!

and the game would be perfect.

• Options
    Welp, since I never get the good legendaries in packs, I said "fuck it" and crafted Jan'alai so I could run Odd Secret/Tempo mage. I also had to craft a Pyromaniac since I also always end up missing critical rares in a set even after opening 80 packs.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/wp-content/uploads/Fungal-Aggro-Odd-Mage.png

I ended up going with something in between VS's and one on HSreplay that uses Nightblades. I removed one Fungalmancer for a Nightblade, just since it looked like this deck didn't necessarily have a reliable enough way to guarantee some minions for Fungalmancer value. I also have too much Odd Rogue PTSD of double Fungalmancer hands with no minions to buff, and that deck plays half as many spells as this one.

I know it's not high tier, but damn is it fun. Being able to live the dream of Double Clockwork or Clockwork + Fire-Eater to get to have a targeted Ragnaros hero power for a turn is pretty sweet.

It's probably better than Odd Control Mage though! Boy that deck blows chunks. It's basically just a worse Big Spell Mage! Literally the only things you get over BSM are Black Cat (admittedly, a pretty swell card!) and a 2 damage Hero Power. But that's it. Otherwise, you can run everything in normal BSM and you've got more threats and a better gameplan and better removal.

I dunno, maybe Odd Mage will come around in the rotation. In some form. I feel like the Tempo version is close...

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/wp-content/uploads/Fungal-Aggro-Odd-Mage.png

It's probably better than Odd Control Mage though! Boy that deck blows chunks. It's basically just a worse Big Spell Mage! Literally the only things you get over BSM are Black Cat (admittedly, a pretty swell card!) and a 2 damage Hero Power. But that's it. Otherwise, you can run everything in normal BSM and you've got more threats and a better gameplan and better removal.

I dunno, maybe Odd Mage will come around in the rotation. In some form. I feel like the Tempo version is close...
    Well, if the rotation ends up reducing the overall power level of decks significantly, then Odd tempo mage will probably (relatively) slide up in power, since it's not hugely reliant on 2017 cards. I think it only runs ~8: Dire Moles, Fire Flies, Explosive Runes (this is probably the biggest hit), and Fungalmancers.

Dire Mole can be straight up replaced by Crystallizer (for an unfortunately large dust cost :( ), so the deck just needs to find about 6 good odd aggro/tempo cards to keep it in workable shape, assuming it can survive the loss of Explosive Runes.

• Options
    I'm not so sure any tempo odd decks will survive into the next rotation. The main reason all of them run 6-8 1-drops with 2-3 health is mainly to land a Funglemancer turn 4 or 5 and run away with the game. Without that, I don't know if you even run that many 1-drops

Mage might be able to replace explosive rune with mirror image. Depends on what the aggro decks are running mainly.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Getting tired of Odd Rogue ...

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I'm not so sure any tempo odd decks will survive into the next rotation. The main reason all of them run 6-8 1-drops with 2-3 health is mainly to land a Funglemancer turn 4 or 5 and run away with the game. Without that, I don't know if you even run that many 1-drops

Mage might be able to replace explosive rune with mirror image. Depends on what the aggro decks are running mainly.

they'll still be fine and around because the hero power is the broken part

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Getting tired of Odd Rogue ...

zsfxq6s0e1de.jpg

Do it. Do it!

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

they'll still be fine and around because the hero power is the broken part

Sure, but the ones that are more aggro focused instead of tempo. Mage wasn’t really on the odd-viable train until they got a bunch of tools this last expac.

Paladin and Rogue aren’t going anywhere, and Paladin will literally warp the meta for all odd-costed neutrals for all 6 expansions before Baku rotates. They really should consider changing the hero power to “make a 2/1 or 1/2”, or he’ll even a 2/2. It would probably be less busted overall

• Options
    Being 2 stars away from Legend to 5 stars away is a big punch in the gut. Losing 3-in-a-row is a sign to stop playing, which I will gladly follow.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Almost completely useless analysis time.
    This time the question is: Last year what was the most consistently meta-topping class? Which was the most consistently out-of-meta class?

I used Vicious Syndicate's Meta Score calculations which take into account both winrate and frequency and followed the top deck for each class over the course of 2018 in Legend rank. I managed to produce this very ugly graph (I have no sense of graphic design).
    9de4113dqril.png

Then, through the very technically demanding algorithm of adding those scores together, I determined that 2018 was the year of the Warlock. (I assigned -100 point during the few times in the year that a class had absolutely no viable decks in the metagame).

I do realize that this method undervalues classes that have multiple dominant decktypes at the same time instead of one clear forerunner (*cough*Druid*cough*) but I'm still reasonably satisfied with the results.

Results:
    1st Place: Warlock - 3248
    Warlock stayed above 50 meta score for the entire year with one exception.
    Terrifying Warlock players everywhere, it's top deck at the time (Zoolock) dropped to meta score of 49.9 following the release of Rastakhan's Rumble. For most of the year, Warlock didn't drop below 3rd in it's classes metascore.

2nd Place: Paladin - 2885
    Paladin had a very respectable year, with only one semi-shaky period after the release of Boomsday.
    Giggling Inventor stopped Uther in his tracks until it was eventually nerfed a couple months later.
    Still 10/12 months as more of a meta-definer than a meta-follower puts him in second.

3rd Place: Hunter - 2649
    Hunter started the year in a bit of a rough spot, and then got kicked even harder after the release of the Witchwood. However, unlike some of the other classes in this position, Rexxar rebounded hard after the May rebalancing patch that hit Cubelock, Even Pally, Spiteful Druid, and Quest Rogue. The second half of the year was much kinder and frequently saw Rexxar near the top of the pack. Cube Hunter was one of only 4 decks this year to reach the vaunted 100 meta score, indicating that it was simultaneously the most popular and the highest winrate deck. A serious accomplishment (The other three decks were Even Paladin, Odd Paladin and Razakus Priest).

4th Place: Rogue - 2469
    Rogue saw a few ups and downs this year, but was flexible enough to usually stick around in the top
    half of the class order. Regardless of the meta, Rogue found an answer. Aggro is king? Odd Rogue, Tempo Rogue, Quest Rogue are here to play. Things are slowing down? Miracle Rogue and Kingsbane Rogue make an appearance. Rogue's lowpoint was early on when Corridor Creeper and Bonemare nerfs gutted Tempo Rogue's dominant place in the meta. Thankfully, Witchwood arrived soon afterwards and Baku saved our backstab-y friend.

5th Place: Druid - 2125
    I know that to me, 2018 seemed like Druid's year. So why is Malfurion stuck in the middle of the pack? Well, like I said above, part of the reason is probably due to methodology. That can't be the sole reason, however. Even though Druid felt like an oppressive force in the latter part of the year, it almost never claimed the number one spot from the likes of Paladin, Warlock, or Hunter. I think this may be in part do to frequency. Druid sported good winrates, but may have sported a smaller playerbase due to the same-y nature of its decks. On top of this, the class was gutted at the very end of the year and lost a lot of points from it's expulsion from the meta. If Blizzard had waited until January to kill Druid, it may have placed above Rogue.

6th Place: Mage - 2120
    Barely placing below Druid is Mage, the true average Joe of this year's meta. Jaina very rarely saw a meta score above 70 (3 weeks) or below 30 (2 weeks). She only lead the meta for one week, after the Corridor Creeper nerf. With Mage this year you could log on, put in some honest work, and get an honest rank out of it.

7th Place: Priest - 1714
    Priest started the year auspiciously. Razakus Priest was undeniably the strongest deck around and even after Raza was nerfed, Priest managed to cling on to a piece of the meta with Combo and Spiteful variants. After Spiteful Summoner was nerfed however, Priest tumbled into a dark place. Anduin was stuck at the bottom of the meta for more than half the year, only recently surfacing due to the strength of Resurrect Clone Priest. Although he was down for a significant period of time, his top-tier performances in January and February saved him from being at the very bottom of the heap.

8th Place: Shaman - 1174
    Shaman was literally a meme on Vicious Syndicate at the beginning of the year. Having a negative meta score is impressive. It means that there's hardly anyone playing your class and even the ones that have stuck by your side can't get your decks to win. Of the 42 weeks which stats were gathered for, Shaman had a negative score for 10 of them, more than any other class in the game. On top of this, when the class was given a few options later on in the year, the Shaman playerbase crippled Thrall's score in an interesting way. Most Shaman players liked to play Shudderwock, which had a fairly low winrate, instead of playing Even Shaman, which had a relatively high win rate. This led to similar meta scores for the two decks, when focusing on Even Shaman would have helped Thrall out a little bit more.

Last Place: Warrior - 1106
    Trailing not far behind Thrall is Garrosh. And really, what is there to say? Much like his Shaman compatriot, Garrosh started this year in an awful state, tanking his score by disappearing from the meta completely for 2 weeks. Even after he kept his score in the black, he hung around in the bottom or middle of the pack. Garrosh was most stable in his position after the release of Boomsday but before the Giggling Inventor nerf. Ultimately, Warrior was the only class to never define the meta (Shaman got one week of Shudderwock) and it never pushed any especially unique or interesting archetypes. Garrosh really really misses his axe. Here's hoping to 2019, buddy!

Raw Data Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vzeroFVLjW0dxqKId7KT0mIaRnSTVCdzFR68hcGnoCI/edit?usp=sharing

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    42 Weeks analysed in 2018. Deck Archetypes by #of weeks at top of class.
    Bolded decks spent at least 1 week at top of meta, as determined by meta score.

Warlock
    Zoo: 16
    Control: 10
    Even: 10
    Cube: 6

Paladin
    Odd: 23
    Murloc: 13
    Even: 5
    Exodia: 1

Hunter
    Cube: 17
    Spell: 13
    Aggro: 5
    Kathrena: 4
    Midrange: 2
    Deathrattle: 1

Rogue
    Odd: 22
    Miracle: 8
    Quest: 6
    Tempo: 5
    Kingsbane: 1

Druid
    Token: 10
    Malygos: 9
    Jade: 7
    Spiteful: 6
    Taunt: 4
    Aggro: 4
    No Deck in Meta: 2

Mage
    Big Spell: 15
    Secret: 13
    Aluneth: 8
    Tempo: 4
    Aggro Odd: 1
    Odd: 1

Priest
    Combo: 12
    Control: 12
    Resurrect: 9
    Razakus: 5
    Mecha'thun: 2
    Quest: 1
    Spiteful: 1

Shaman
    Even: 16
    Shudderwock: 13
    Token: 10
    Jade: 3

Warrior
    Odd: 14
    Taunt: 11
    Pirate: 6
    Control: 5
    Odd Control: 2
    Odd Taunt: 2
    No Deck in Meta: 2

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    My mild Odd tempo mage success in wild continued today, but one game was against a Mech rogue, which apparently can highroll like a motherfucker. Turn 1 coin Mechwarper + Skaterbot to clear my 1 drop with a 3/3 left. Turn 2 Iron Sensei buffs his Mechwarper even more. Cogwrench was a permanent 3 mana 3/3 weapon for clearing my minions, another Mechwarper + more crazy mech tempo came down as he was able to SMOrc me with impunity.

I'm sure the deck flops if it doesn't get a nice opener, but that guy drew the nuts.

• Options
    ColdrazorColdrazor Registered User regular
    The @Yilias challenge complete, hit legend in wild as well as standard. Going from rank 24 was rather grindy. At 768 in wild legend eu, guess it's too late to try for top 100..

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I decayed from 59 to 118 in a single day and have been stuck there since, I'm probably not going to make it either.

E: Also, 800 people in Wild legend is crazy, that's like quadruple the usual population.

Yilias on
  • Options
    I decayed from 59 to 118 in a single day and have been stuck there since, I'm probably not going to make it either.

E: Also, 800 people in Wild legend is crazy, that's like quadruple the usual population.

There's at least 1050 ppl, fought several ppl at that legend rank when I was at rank 1

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Coldrazor wrote: »
    The @Yilias challenge complete, hit legend in wild as well as standard. Going from rank 24 was rather grindy. At 768 in wild legend eu, guess it's too late to try for top 100..

What deck or decks did you use?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    What deck or decks did you use?
    Odd rogue, shamelessly netdecked and replaced a fungalmancer with dr. Seven.

• Options
    After losing 2 more stars (now 6 away from Legend), I’m considering switching decks. Either a midrange Hunter or Odd Palladin. Any recommendations or thoughts on which direction, if any, I should take?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    What's your local meta like? Alternatively, go here: https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/data-reaper-live-beta/ and check the tier list, which is set for the last 24 hours. At the moment the top 3 decks are Odd Paladin, Control Priest, and Midrange Hunter in that order.

• Options
    I tried out that swanky Control Priest deck today and BOY THAT'S A GOOD DECK

I beat a goddamn Odd Warrior. A goddamn Odd Warrior that I had to chunk through like a ridiculous amount of Armor, AND get him down to 15-ish only for him to heal back up to 25 from a 5 attack Zilliax.

But got there I did. Alexstrasza to 15, he heals back up to 19 with a buffed Lifesteal taunt mech.... But Triple Mind Blast and Shadowreaper HP say fukken LOLNOPE.

I wish I had a replay but I was playing on my phone. Wehhhh. I think I could probably get that to sync up replays with the mobile Deck Tracker but I haven't set that up yet. Just like, out of laziness I think. <_<

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I tried out that swanky Control Priest deck today and BOY THAT'S A GOOD DECK

I beat a goddamn Odd Warrior. A goddamn Odd Warrior that I had to chunk through like a ridiculous amount of Armor, AND get him down to 15-ish only for him to heal back up to 25 from a 5 attack Zilliax.

But got there I did. Alexstrasza to 15, he heals back up to 19 with a buffed Lifesteal taunt mech.... But Triple Mind Blast and Shadowreaper HP say fukken LOLNOPE.

I wish I had a replay but I was playing on my phone. Wehhhh. I think I could probably get that to sync up replays with the mobile Deck Tracker but I haven't set that up yet. Just like, out of laziness I think. <_<

yeah control priest rules, absolutely great deck right now