As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Official story trailer

snip

Also, a first glimpse at Cassie and Kano (fatal blow and fatality)

snip

Lack of Kitana in that trailer disturbs me greatly.

She's in there for about a half second next to revenant Liu Kang.

...she's going to be DLC, isn't she?

She was listed as part of the roster in the leak, which this trailer has proven to be accurate.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Why do I feel like
    Kollector
    may be the series’ new personification of Death, upset people aren’t staying in the ground and the afterlife.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Why do I feel like
    Kollector
    may be the series’ new personification of Death, upset people aren’t staying in the ground and the afterlife.
    Is that who the lady is who is running around with Kotal Kahn and then gets dragged away by the centipede looking creature things?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Why do I feel like
    Kollector
    Is that who the lady is who is running around with Kotal Kahn and then gets dragged away by the centipede looking creature things?
    I didn’t catch that but I think Kollector shows up to the right of Shao Kahn when Kahn’s talking with Kronika in the big group scene. Turquoise, hunched over in a green/gray hood, weird leathery maybe-folded wings protruding from the back...very gargoyle-like.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    There’s a woman in that trailer that is wearing a dark red hooded cloak and wields a glowing green sword. She seems featured about as much as Erron Black. Any idea who she is?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Why do I feel like
    Kollector
    Joolander wrote: »
    There’s a woman in that trailer that is wearing a dark red hooded cloak and wields a glowing green sword. She seems featured about as much as Erron Black. Any idea who she is?

Both of these are Jade.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I need to watch the trailer again it would seem.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    His enthusiasm is so delightful

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Got around to watching some Scorpion gameplay, since he’s always my main. I love how they’re making his kunai more than just a pull, giving him some actual attacks with it.

It always felt a bit underused considering it’s his trademark.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

I really wish they would have got him for MK9. His Shang Tsung voice is iconic. Shang's voice in MK9 just never sounded right to me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    It’ll be interesting to see what Shang Tsung is up to in this post-Shao Kahn, post-Quan Chi, post-Shinnok timeline shenanigans world.

For being an evil sorcerer it feels like it’s been a long time since he’s been free to do his own thing.

• Options
    Pretty sure he’s dead in the new timeline. So probably in Ermac or one of Quan Chi’s thralls

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Pretty sure he’s dead in the new timeline. So probably in Ermac or one of Quan Chi’s thralls

Funny story about that second guy...

• Options

I’m guessing if Shang Tsung ended up as a revenant he’s free to do evil soul junk again, albeit with glowing eyes and a skin condition, which, uh...might mean it didn’t really change him at all.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Some new fatalities in here. The Geras one is rrrrrough.

https://youtu.be/02G8VxBfVA0

• Options

Oh yeah, duh

Ooh maybe we get a version of Shang Tsung that is working for Liu Kang

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Shang Tsung might also just be from the past, working with the younger Shao Kahn dredged up from the past.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Oh yeah, duh

that'd be an interesting twist. they both hate raiden at this stage so...

even better if liu kang backstabs shang tsung at the end because shang tsung never expected a "good guy" to betray him

WingedWeasel on
  • Options

Oh yeah, duh

even better if liu kang backstabs shang tsung at the end because shang tsung never expected a "good guy" to betray him

Being a ruler of the netherrealm I’m sure Liu Kang and Kitana would want a full-time sorcerer around. It’s just good business, up to a point.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Oh yeah, duh

Being a ruler of the netherrealm I’m sure Liu Kang and Kitana would want a full-time sorcerer around. It’s just good business, up to a point.

You'd think by this point Kang and Kitana would both have had enough experience with sorcerers and necromancers to know better than to give them high power positions as grand viziers or whatever.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Oh yeah, duh

You'd think by this point Kang and Kitana would both have had enough experience with sorcerers and necromancers to know better than to give them high power positions as grand viziers or whatever.

Well sure, but what's the alternative? Especially when you're literally running the Land of the Dead. Put one in charge to keep the rest at bay.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Oh yeah, duh

Well sure, but what's the alternative? Especially when you're literally running the Land of the Dead. Put one in charge to keep the rest at bay.

Doesn't a good portion of the cast kinda-sorta count as sorcerer's anyway? Most can conjure things form their bare hands such as fire or ice or even just plain energy blasts.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I kind of get the sense from the story that a lot of the characters will be kind of playing against type throughout the narrative based upon how things have worked out for them in the main timeline.

For example, I could see past Shang Tsung doing an almost Face turn because of how he ends up in the timeline. Also, I could see past Johnny Cage secretly liking how future him turns out (ie: has a child and had a marriage, etc.) and maybe fighting to maintain that timeline.

Regardless, I'm weirdly excited to play through this story and I kind of hope it's like 20 hours long.

• Options
    Shang Tsung can go either way.

Prediction: Shang will be instrumental in dealing with Kronika, either because he'll morph into her and tell her minions to do something seemingly brilliant, but actually works against her goal, or he'll morph into someone else (Shinnok, maybe?) and sacrifice himself for the greater good, knowing that once Kronika is dealt with, they go back to a timeline where he's in a better position because the current one is going to be erased by the Elder Gods.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I kind of get the sense from the story that a lot of the characters will be kind of playing against type throughout the narrative based upon how things have worked out for them in the main timeline.

For example, I could see past Shang Tsung doing an almost Face turn because of how he ends up in the timeline. Also, I could see past Johnny Cage secretly liking how future him turns out (ie: has a child and had a marriage, etc.) and maybe fighting to maintain that timeline.

Regardless, I'm weirdly excited to play through this story and I kind of hope it's like 20 hours long.

I do hope they don't revert back to the old timeline, though. I've enjoyed the new one more than I have the old in years.

I mean, I've always been an MK fan, but I kind of checked out somewhere in the PS2 era, only poking my head in occasionally.

But the new one? I've been on board with that for a while.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I do hope they don't revert back to the old timeline, though. I've enjoyed the new one more than I have the old in years.

I mean, I've always been an MK fan, but I kind of checked out somewhere in the PS2 era, only poking my head in occasionally.

But the new one? I've been on board with that for a while.

the thing is the new timeline is about to that (real life) era now. we're past MK4 now so it's getting to where a lot of people checked out story-line wise. since there have been so many changes and obvious the whole kronika thing they can kinda do whatever. plus even if they did actually redo mk5+ they now have the added benefit of hindsight as far as what worked/failed

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I thought after 9 -- and even during parts of that -- they were going in a different story direction?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I imagine they’ll have some kind of blended timeline at the end that justifies keeping a lot of roster mainstays around as the story moves forward. Like, old Johnny dies but the young one sticks around, but also Cassie is there, etc.

Ceno on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I imagine they’ll be some kind of blended timeline at the end that justifies keeping a lot of roster mainstays around as the story moves forward. Like, old Johnny dies but the young one sticks around, but also Cassie is there, etc.

It'll be a good way to retcon past favorites back into existence. Shao Khan will probably stick around and have a power struggle with Kotal Khan, *good* Raiden will probably be back, but maybe Liu Kang and Kitana stay evil? And I guess if people want Stryker aka Paul Blart Mall Cop back, he can come back.

There is a lot of possibility with the time travel hook.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I also really dug in X how the fallout between Johnny and Sonya wasn’t because Johnny couldn’t stop being a dirtbag or something, but rather Sonya prioritizing work over her family. It was a nice subversion of what people would expect.

• Options
    I thought after 9 -- and even during parts of that -- they were going in a different story direction?

they were (are?) but my point was that the general story beats were there. MK1-3 basically happened, then there was the fallout at the end of mk9 (mk 3 version 2....sorta). MK10 was the whole quan chi + shinnok deal but obviously modified. now we would be entering into deadly alliance followed by deception if we actually followed the timeline. getting the band back together for the deadly alliance might be a bit of a challenge since both members are uh...indisposed.

i'm hopeful but i can't stand time travel stories. i think netherrealm will do it properly though.

• Options
    NRS has a very admirable challenge: Basically keep advancing/escalating the conflict while maintaining a credible threat. This whole ‘modern’ trilogy, if it can be called that, started with time shenaniganry with Raiden’s medallion. Time travel is such a difficult element to introduce, but they’ve done a decent job so far by keeping it in the hands of the gods only.

I don’t know how many more Mortal Kombats are in Ed Boon. I sorta...wonder about that a little, you know?

• Options
    NRS has a very admirable challenge: Basically keep advancing/escalating the conflict while maintaining a credible threat. This whole ‘modern’ trilogy, if it can be called that, started with time shenaniganry with Raiden’s medallion. Time travel is such a difficult element to introduce, but they’ve done a decent job so far by keeping it in the hands of the gods only.

I don’t know how many more Mortal Kombats are in Ed Boon. I sorta...wonder about that a little, you know?

I imagine he'll retire one day, but he doesn't seem tired of doing them. Netherrealm also seems like a company that has a pretty cohesive and collaborative vision for their games. Boon is awesome, but it's not like the MK record is spotless or something, and I don't think he would claim to be an auteur or anything like that.

Granted it's a different company, but the new DOOM games are made by an entirely different team of people than the original games and I think the most recent one is the best DOOM game ever made, so really good MKs in a post-Boon Netherrealm are not outside of the realm of possibility.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

they were (are?) but my point was that the general story beats were there. MK1-3 basically happened, then there was the fallout at the end of mk9 (mk 3 version 2....sorta). MK10 was the whole quan chi + shinnok deal but obviously modified. now we would be entering into deadly alliance followed by deception if we actually followed the timeline. getting the band back together for the deadly alliance might be a bit of a challenge since both members are uh...indisposed.

i'm hopeful but i can't stand time travel stories. i think netherrealm will do it properly though.

That would be the chronological series of events, but by timeline none of Deadly Alliance/Decepton/Armageddon happened because Shang Tsung was dead. The beginning of X is MK4, and then they jumped forward around 20 years for the rest of the plot, because the apocalypse was averted by Raiden in 9. So the new timeline skips the events of those three games altogether.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

That would be the chronological series of events, but by timeline none of Deadly Alliance/Decepton/Armageddon happened because Shang Tsung was dead. The beginning of X is MK4, and then they jumped forward around 20 years for the rest of the plot, because the apocalypse was averted by Raiden in 9. So the new timeline skips the events of those three games altogether.

The best decision they ever made. Yeah, there's a few new characters from MK6, 7 and 8 that are alright, and could be fun to have now, but I think the new characters they've been introducing since MK9 are even better. No need to scrape the bottom of the barrel, just push forward and do something new.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd like to see Ashrah and Nitara again.

• Options
    Deadly Alliance does not get enough love. It gave us Kenshi, the Krypt system, the first developments of the combat styles, a redesigned and improved Quan Chi, the first post-Arcade MK, and likely was a crossroads for the future of the franchise.

Sure, this was still under Midway Games, prior to its liquidation, but I don’t know how things would’ve gone had MK5 cratered.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roster page was up briefly on the official website. Down now. 29 slots showing at the moment.

BLzEFZe.png

Ceno on
  • Options
    Jacqui looking kind of android-y/cyborg there with that chest plate. I hope she has some proper tactical/militia outfits to change the look up with.