As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Season 2 starts on the 23rd which is NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR ME TO LEARN TO USE MY HITBOX

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm looking around for a PS4 controller with a custom dpad. I ordered one from Battle Beaver Customs but they can take months to fulfill orders :/. I might just suck it up and do it myself with a kit.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    It's always weird to me when people teabag or whatever because I think "man I thought we were just having a fun game of mortal kombat together". It's so totally opposite to my attitude to games.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That kind of shit super turns me off to online play in most games.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    It's really rare! I just had it from one guy and it really took me by surprise. It makes them seem like they're really mad at something

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Somehow, in a game all about brutally beating your opponent unconscious, and then having the option of horribly mangling their near dead corpse in a spectacularly gory fashion, teabagging seems even more insulting than usual.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    until it was pointed out to me, i think in a stream i was watching or something, i didnt know it was intended to be teabagging. it seems to happen so rarely

• Options
    edited July 2019
    It would be nice if the game gave us literally any way to show respect to an opponent (outside of king of the hill, anyway. Kinda bizarre the Respect Points feature is only available there).

Like a simple gg emote or something.

Dusda on
  • Options
    I always take an uppercut or jab as a finish him as a sign of respect.

Kombat League is kind of disappointing this time! I feel like they planned these before they realised that no one, literally not one person, would ever use Jacqui's default look.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    You guys are lucky. I get badsports a lot in matches....to the point that I consider MK community to be barely above Smash.

I use Shao Kahn, buddy, calm down.

They're probably the same as every FG, realistically, but..

A). That's not as fun to say / bitch about
    and
    B). The FINISH HIM part of the match allows us to actually see the asshats.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Deans wrote: »
    A command grab is any grab special that isn't the basic throw that every character has. They're called command grabs because they use a different command input from the throw button. If it can be blocked then it's not actually a command grab, it's a hit-grab. Properties of command grabs can vary from character to character, the main strength for them is that they can't be teched. Keep in mind that if you cancel a blocked attack into a grab the grab might not work, because opponents can't be grabbed while they're in block-stun; that strategy can only work if the blocked attack has short block-stun, like a crouch jab.

okay thanks. I think I was getting confused because some things I'm hearing called 'command grabs' seem blockable, but that also might just have been my confusion. either way, thanks for clarifying.

edit - I don't mind fatalities because they give you hearts and are entertaining. I'll take that over a bunch of crouching any day. only slightly better than the teabagging is doing nothing and wasting time which annoys me but at least I can imagine they are distracted. with the teabagging, they're there, they're knowingly wasting time... because they're mad that the game matched us or something? that I attacked? haha.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I got something like six or seven losses in a row in Kombat League today

• Options
    SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    I avoided KL last season because I'm pretty new to MK and fighting games in general. Hopped on yesterday and went 0/6, but only a couple of rounds were flawless victories, so I guess that's something.

It was kind of funny how cautiously my first opponent played until he realized could absolutely dominate me.

• Options
    I had a pretty even start but I play on PC

I won one tight game with a big kombo into fatal blow that I'd been practicing over the break between leagues, that felt super super good. caught a kung lao with a jump in kick as liu kang and it was curtains, jik dash punch punch kick kick fatal blow deaddddddd

• Options
    I'm bringing it closer to even, had a five game win streak today. I did encounter an extreme time waster who thought he was being really clever but bro I've got a smartphone right here I'll check Twitter all night and you know I've figured out your Jax

• Options
    Season 2 is definitely proving to be more difficult. I started last season with an 11 win streak, this time I’m 5-8 :/. Only a couple of those games totally one sided, too.

• Options
    I got wrecked early on, but I think part of that was playing at fuck off at night when only true maniacs are awake and I'm kind of sleepy.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    The player pool (on PC at least) is absolutely smaller than season 1, I just hit Champion and according to the leaderboards I'm ranked 470th.

e: Also, like half of the players have been Kung Lao lately, and every Scorpion so far has discovered ethernet.

Dusda on
  • Options
    I was behind on the uppercuts challenge and then fortunately fought three noob saibots in a row

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I was behind on the uppercuts challenge and then fortunately fought three noob saibots in a row

Punishing his dumb teleport throw? That's like my favorite thing.

• Options
    Dusda wrote: »
    The player pool (on PC at least) is absolutely smaller than season 1, I just hit Champion and according to the leaderboards I'm ranked 470th.

e: Also, like half of the players have been Kung Lao lately, and every Scorpion so far has discovered ethernet.

yeah I think a well known player has had recent success with kung lao. assuming stuff like that matters, but it does seem to follow.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    There's a lot of Kung lao (or former in some cases) mains on the pro scene so if that sort of thing filters down then it makes sense. However I could also see it being a scorpion situation where you can't quite react properly to teleport or whatever online so everything is sort of safer

• Options
    not sure how much anyone cares BUT since a friend and I have been trying to get this from the shrine since like day 1...

the maskless kitana face is for sale for 300 time crystals in the shop today. (I assume we all see the same stuff). I think it's one of the only maskless looks that you can't earn through the character towers so being able to just get it is really nice and Iwanna let anyone who might care know

• Options
    I think Skarlet and Kitana are the only ones who you get from the shrine

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    not sure how much anyone cares BUT since a friend and I have been trying to get this from the shrine since like day 1...

the maskless kitana face is for sale for 300 time crystals in the shop today. (I assume we all see the same stuff). I think it's one of the only maskless looks that you can't earn through the character towers so being able to just get it is really nice and Iwanna let anyone who might care know

Thank you so much! I've been waiting for this exact one and losing faith in dumping coins into the shrine.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    glad to hear it!

as of today I am 1 achievement away from getting all of them, I finished all the severed heads and have opened the entire krypt except for 2-3 skelton key rooms (of which I don't think any have anything to open in them but I still wanna get in there....)

I do want to finish the main tower (idk if it's called the gauntlet tower or if that's just the stage I'm on), and I'd like to finish at least a few more character's towers all the way (I've done all of liu kang's and 1 level of 3 other characters), or at least their 1st tier. but we'll see how that goes. for now I'm just glad I don't have to think about fatalities anymore. I basically have just played a lot and eventually got a couple of heads, but once I got them and decided to find out what they did I kind of dedicated the last 2 days to grinding out the rest of the characters. luckily everyone was already pretty close so I didn't lose my mind, and I used the opportunity to drill Sonya combos since she seems so good and I enjoy playing her. currently somewhat comfortable as liu kang, jade, sub, and sonya but I suppose I'd still have to say liu kang is my "main", played him by far the most and I'm rather hesitant to bring sonya into ranked. maybe I'll player a bunch of kasual with her (50 kasual games is my remaining achievement to get), I've only played her against computer, mostly on easy and no harder than medium, so all I've learned is muscle memory for combos, no real play play.

been playing so much, just wanted to write up where I'm at. having a lot of fun still. I'm going away in about 2 weeks and while I'll have my switch copy, I kind of left that version in the dust once I got it on PC and I'm not about to do this grind all over again, especially since I have Fire Emblem to play. just gotta make sure I finish the season stuff before then.

Variable on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I mean the quality of the design and character is great it’s just a bit uninspired and standard. I wish those rumours about him being gender swapped had turned out to be true

• Options
    I detest fatal blows so much. Like....

So much.

I think I hate them more than X-Factor.

• Options
    I would like them fine if they were much shorter. As a mechanic they're ok, they're just huge time wasters.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It would be nice if you could set the fatal blow animations to run at 4x speed like you can with AI matches.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think Fatal Blows would work better if they were at least hard to do. As is, they’re functionally inevitable and not that impressive either.

• Options
    yeah I wish there was no animation, or even if when it was gonna kill you could skip it. but I don't mind it as a piece of the game.

I really like nightwolf's animals. I didn't play X and barely touched him in 9 so idk how new that all is but it means I'll definitely be at least trying him out. looking for someone new to spend lots of time with becausae there are so many liu kangs it turned me off haha. jade is probably my second most played but I'm looking at sonya and cassie currently, just they're also quite popular obviously. sonya's damage is insane. haven't worked with cassie as much but I will be working on basics and then combos tomorrow.

• Options
    So I just learned about the shield/skull mechanic you can use during a Fatal Blow. Apparently SonicFox just learned about it like last weekend, so I don’t feel too dumb.

If you press a face button at the right time, basically right after each slow mo hit, you will add/block damage for each hit in the sequence. This works for both players! I hate fatal blows less now!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That was a hell of a fatality.

• Options
    So I just learned about the shield/skull mechanic you can use during a Fatal Blow. Apparently SonicFox just learned about it like last weekend, so I don’t feel too dumb.

If you press a face button at the right time, basically right after each slow mo hit, you will add/block damage for each hit in the sequence. This works for both players! I hate fatal blows less now!

I had no idea they kept this mechanic in for 11? It’s not in any of the tutorials I don’t think

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Anyone have any clue when a komplete version of the game will come out. Getting a new xbox Monday and this is a game.me and the gf want

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    They're about to release the second DLC character in a week or so, so in a couple years probably.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    There are 6 characters for this season, with some vague rumours of a second season, and it looks like it’s a few months between each character release. So yeah probably a while.

My recommendation is buy it and play it now cos it’s good and more enjoyable than not playing it now

Not sure if it’s on sale digitally on Xbox, there was an evo sale but I’m not sure if it’s still going

Prohass on
  • Options
    I think Fatal Blows would work better if they were at least hard to do. As is, they’re functionally inevitable and not that impressive either.

They're just too easy to do and some characters have FBs that are just way too good for how easy they are to do. It's a comeback mechanic, which I'm not against usually, but it's WAY too good of one.

The actual damage adjustments are pretty minimal.