As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I stopped playing last time, early 70's tier 1/2 maps where every death erases the last 20 minutes of exp gain at least

but I found a blessed orb in a barrel so that was kinda neat

wait till you get to 90+ and a death erases hours

also, once you can start pushing yellow maps, the xp should come fast and furious until you hit about 85ish

We'll see how far I make it!

Like I'm not gonna try the lab again until after my next level up, and I'm probably gonna start avoiding syndicate activity and incursions too

Just gonna keep clearing the atol over and over again

Incursions can be dangerous if you don't have good damage and chaos resist. If you are new, don't be brave. Overcap, overlevel, overfightanotherday. Racers will do act 10 Kitava at under 3k HP. I like over 4k.

kitava2 isn't that hard if your damage is good

you don't really need 4k hp until late yellow maps depending on your defenses/what your build is

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    If you are new I personally recommend minions. You dont have to worry about specific stats on your gear besides basic tanky stuff, the strategy is basically run around and dont get hit while your army murders things. Sure you can make them complicated, but it's nice to not worry about your mechanics and just focus on what does everything else do.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    If you corrupt an Essence Worm so that it gains "Grants lvl x aura skill" I assume that aura isn't free, and probably has the extra reserve cost added to it, right?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, because the aura wouldn't be coming from a socketed gem

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I figured. A small part of me wanted to hope, though :P

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    If you are new I personally recommend minions. You dont have to worry about specific stats on your gear besides basic tanky stuff, the strategy is basically run around and dont get hit while your army murders things. Sure you can make them complicated, but it's nice to not worry about your mechanics and just focus on what does everything else do.

Yaaaap. I was wandering around in red maps with maybe 2.5k health because minions.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Overall I feel like my damage is good (imported to pob and it says 12k with charges up) and trash dies instantly and yellow/purple/unique monsters take like 5 seconds of focusing so I'm pretty happy with how the part of the build I was excited about is going, though I think the damage against mobile bosses can be a little rough sometimes

Now I guess I need to re-cap my resists, get chaos res positive, and get some more HP and ES, its just annoying cause I feel like I just did that a few days ago

Maybe I'll throw summon zombies in an open slot so they can meat shield for me a little bit

edit one of the things I bought was some decent gloves with the throw an extra trap shaper mod and I'm really loving that cause I thought it only worked for the skill socketed into the gloves but it actually works for all my trap skills which gives me some more room to play with support gems

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Did my first elder ever last night on a yellow map. Never looked at this fight before.

Died once to his huge AoE slow thing. Then was confused by the shaper/adds phase. But it went well

Sadly only a coil dropped.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Did my first elder ever last night on a yellow map. Never looked at this fight before.

Died once to his huge AoE slow thing. Then was confused by the shaper/adds phase. But it went well

Sadly only a coil dropped.

I'm hoping to get my first one this league as well!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    God I'm like 1 thing away from getting 6 challenges done.

Any Lich would be great rn, Abyss.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Alos if you're having trouble with Syndicate stuff in tier 11+ just remember

The rewards don't tier with map level.

I've been doing tier 6 maps for the Syndicate stuff and haven't seen any negative effects on drops or info

• Options
    Hot damn yes

00r4jbblaib3.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I just noticed when I was speed clearing the guardians, one of them dropped a Grelwood Shank that had well rolled stats.

Should I sell it for ~60C or build myself a second character around it...

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    I just noticed when I was speed clearing the guardians, one of them dropped a Grelwood Shank that had well rolled stats.

Should I sell it for ~60C or build myself a second character around it...

grelwood is one of the weaker MS builds this league

it does a lot of damage, but is nowhere near as survivable as howa or nebuloch

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well that’s the pale court out of the way , god I hate hunting for their prophecy s

On Xbox this matters. I'm only halfway there. Luckily my crap crafted stuff is near OK to take on Shaper but I want a 6 link and a decent multi mod weapon since buying maps on Xbox is painful* and failure is currently an option.

*tons of overpriced maps not selling but no real market to bring prices to clearing. On the other hand I sold a Beltimber for 20c so it averages out I expect.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well my Nebuloch Jugg is up and running now. I've got enough resists to hit 80 and was able to equip my Xoph's and Kaom's Roots. I really like how consecrated path functions! Now I just need to get some more levels under my belt and I can get some Delve going.

Also helped a friend out by leveling with him. This is the first time he's gotten through the full story and hasn't played since very early on. He's pretty hooked now with an Armageddon Brand build I helped streamline his passive tree. Haven't checked back to see if he's done his first map, but I can't wait to find out how he feels about them.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    At some point the damage of conc path will be underwhelming, and that's when you embrace molten strike completely

An MS helm enchant seems great but unnecessary; I don't need it for Uber and it's fucking expensive now.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Hmm, seems like that will indeed be the case. I guess I need to squeeze a bit more juice out of the passive tree so I'm looking at some of the top builds off of poeninja.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I started up some weird scion physical damage tank build using infernal blow to explode things and double strike to whack things that don’t immediately messily explode.

It’s kind of hilarious how my damage trails of hugely the fewer enemies there are

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I rerolled my horrible ice shot into a horrible cast on crit into a not horrible tornado shot character. I've also been working this guy:

8dpkvucwualv.gif

Still one more prefix to craft, and it can still be rolled higher, but I am going to save up a huge number of divines and then make myself sad.

Does anyone have the Tier 4 "Gain (19–22)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage" for bows? The craft requires 8 vaals. Need that to finish out the bench crafts.

Also, does anyone know how the beastcraft 30% quality works with this? Like theoretically could I just add 10% quality by using that once i'm done?

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I was clearing one of Zana's side maps while grinding in a tier 1 map and a Tabula Rasa dropped for me. I expected I would have to grind out Humility cards to get my first one of those.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Totally new to the game. Quick questions, google says item filtering is by modding the files directly. Not one to usually do such things, is it correct? There are no ways to filter out the grey items in game? Why, am i missing something, are they important somehow?

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    A loot filter helps highlight usefull items and hides ones that are not usefull (or valuable). While you could make it from scratch yourself, it's easier to download one and use. I like this one: https://www.filterblade.xyz

You can do some customisation on the website, get a file to download, then in the Poe settings make it target that file and you are set.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    texasheat wrote: »
    Totally new to the game. Quick questions, google says item filtering is by modding the files directly. Not one to usually do such things, is it correct? There are no ways to filter out the grey items in game? Why, am i missing something, are they important somehow?

Not really correct no. You shouldn’t really be editing or overwriting any files you already have. You want to download a filter set like the one Luiane posted. Then in-game you point the filter options under the UI tab of the in-game options to the file that creates and it will filter stuff.

Loot filters can get pretty complex in this game due to the rather complex currency system and how valuations for items are entirely relative to their utility rather than a number assigned by the developers. In that sense certain gray items can actually be very valuable either in and of themselves as a basis for making useful rare items or due to their utility in one of the various “vendor recipes” that award currency.

Notable gray items that hold consistent value over the course of the game are anything with 3 linked sockets, one of each different color (which vendors for a chromatic orb, used to recolor sockets) and anything with 6 sockets which, at the very least, will vendor for 7 jeweler’s orbs (used to add sockets to items)

If you luck into a gray item with 6 linked sockets on a good base it can actually be far more valuable than most unique items

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The secret sauce here is that the assorted currency items can be used to craft items by rerolling their stats.

Turning a chest piece with six slots into a chest piece with six linked slots might cost someone 1000 to 1500 orbs of fusing til they get lucky, for example, so they might just buy one someone has for sale for x + whatever is worth 1500 fusing.

Odds and drop rates and all that result in various items being worth more or less depending on what can be done with or to them.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    There is a default filter you can enable that will hide grey items with no sockets and makes a noise when an item you might want to look at drops. It isn't good but it does make a fun noise when an item with 6 sockets drops.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Seg wrote: »
    There is a default filter you can enable that will hide grey items with no sockets and makes a noise when an item you might want to look at drops. It isn't good but it does make a fun noise when an item with 6 sockets drops.

There are items with no slots now?

I mean I know there are some uniques that have 0 but I’ve never seen normal run of the mill weapons and armour without slots

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I've been leveling a Vaal Double Strike Champion, and its been pretty fun so far. Most shit melts almost immediately, but I'm starting to run into ohshit moments when things don't actually die right away. I think I'm about to fight Kitava, IIRC.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Vaal DS + champion never miss can carry you to the final ultimate bosses

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    @texasheat I also use the filterblade site. Honestly, if you are just starting though, I'd pick sem-strict from the drop down and leave it at that. Items with interesting colors in the name card when its on the ground. It'll also point out 4 and 5 linked items, which when you are just starting out can be super useful.
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Thats why I went with it. It looks fairly facerolly, and I've never managed to get past Act V, so I'm hoping this will finally carry me through.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    So I shelved my Soulwrest Occultist Tri Curse thing. It was ok but scaling it was going to be expensive and that is not the point of soulwrest. So I had the pieces, since im a hoarder, to do the vortex/cold snap sitting in my bank. Some regrets and minor recoloring later boom cold snap and vortex. I get more ES (because es shield added). Plus now Ele Overload and LowLife.

I thought the build looked boring but playing it is actually pretty fun.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »

There are items with no slots now?

I mean I know there are some uniques that have 0 but I’ve never seen normal run of the mill weapons and armour without slots

I got it wrong.

• Options
    OK so what i basically understand, is that my thought process of grey is bad is wrong to begin with. I need a filter that can do more than that based on what it can be sold for. That's why it isn't an option in game by default, because of the complexity. Makes more sense now. I'll look into the download, and the currency system, cause clearly i'm gonna need to know how that works.

Side note, based on what you've said so far, the currency system seems convoluted AF. It would have been nice to seem at least SOME kind of in game explination of that.....

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    OK so what i basically understand, is that my thought process of grey is bad is wrong to begin with. I need a filter that can do more than that based on what it can be sold for. That's why it isn't an option in game by default, because of the complexity. Makes more sense now. I'll look into the download, and the currency system, cause clearly i'm gonna need to know how that works.

Side note, based on what you've said so far, the currency system seems convoluted AF. It would have been nice to seem at least SOME kind of in game explination of that.....

ask away! we're all open to answering questions

you can also checkout https://sites.google.com/view/thetwilightstrand or Enkis arc witch build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951/page/632 for good primers

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

My DS champ from delve could kill +%monster hp phoenix in 3 seconds if I pressed all my buttons, and my gear really wasn't that great, it's kinda bonkers

• Options
    edited January 2019

Currency gets convoluted, because all of it can be used in one fashion or another to alter items. But it basically works like: Chance Orbs are change -> Alchemy Orbs are your dollar bills -> Chaos Orbs are your twenties -> Exalts Orbs are $$$$ (not actual exchange rates). Everything else is still useful for small crafting you mgiht want to do yourself, or for modifying maps in the end game.

For instance, early on, I'll try and find a 4 linked glove, helm, boot, chest, (of any rarity) and then use Alterations/Transmutation to get a couple of decent modifiers on it. +life, bonus damage, w/e.

Early early on, grab everything and sell it. You'll want a decent stock of wisdom scrolls, which you get pieces of for selling white items. Then use those to identify yellows. Certain yellows will give you alchemy orb pieces (you can get them from blues as well, but yellows normally have more modifiers, so more chances of an alchemy granting modifier per scroll/per inventory space). Sell or use yellows.

edit: White items are also useful if they have all three color gem slots linked together, and some are useful for crafting. The first I grab to sell all the time, the second I still don't totally understand, and ignore.

Brody on

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

A big thing about this game is that it doesn't explain itself at all despite being very complicated. Ask a lot of questions, read/watch a lot of guides. Follow a build guide for your first few characters (I suggest asking in this thread for build recommendations based on a general description of what kind of character you would like to play).

Here is a helpful video you should watch:

https://youtu.be/GGPFJ3Gh0SI

This is a written summary of the things he talks about in the video, he also links it in the description of his video.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tL5aQgJX7fX1dM29zsTEbQzffvGiXceObZiGwD3GGNE/edit

Here are some of my own suggestions based on that written guide:

-POE trade macro is something you will want to install but don't feel that you need to do it right away. It might make more sense to wait until you are more familiar with the game before using that tool, useful as it is.

-Definitely 100% get a loot filter from filterblade. If you do nothing else, do this. Make sure to "Download all strictness levels" so that you can switch between them in-game whenever you choose. Post here if you need assistance in setting it up, although the video I linked above explains how to set it up (its pretty easy).

-Path of Building: definitely install this. It helps you follow build guides without having to check and read through their written guides every time you want to e.g. check how to spend your passive skill points. I would say this is almost as mandatory as loot filters.

Hope this stuff helps.

• Options
    Seems useful. Everyone i've spoken too says use a guide. So i'm not gonna. I took my first good skill gem that i enjoyed and i'm gonna focus on that. Frost bolt or blast...something cold. Anyway i'll build on that, if i have too once im done with the story i'll go back start over and do a build.

Thanks for the suggestions on videos, i'll check them out tonight.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Not using a build guide is an option if you choose, just accept that you are most likely going to hit a wall at some point where your build doesn't work and you can't progress. Its hard to say when that would happen.

The one suggestion I have for you in this case is do not neglect defensive nodes in the passive skill tree. Make sure you pick up plenty of life and other defensive nodes.

edit: also on gear, make sure you have plenty of resists and life.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Not using a build guide is an option if you choose, just accept that you are most likely going to hit a wall at some point where your build doesn't work and you can't progress. Its hard to say when that would happen.

The one suggestion I have for you in this case is do not neglect defensive nodes in the passive skill tree. Make sure you pick up plenty of life and other defensive nodes.

edit: also on gear, make sure you have plenty of resists and life.

This, you'll want to make sure you pick up some good damage nodes, but a lot of passive trees are "I want these three damage clusters, how many health nodes can I hit on the way there."