As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I’m 72 and still haven’t finished the story yet.

Also I’ve diverged a fair bit from the endgame suggestions for my build guide and am not sure what I should really be grabbing so I’ve been getting jewel slots. Also massively overlapping resists (I’m in ilvl 50-ish gear and am already overcapped for postgame, even though I haven’t finished yet)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    @Rius what's your ingame name?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I meant on the forums, kek

I was eyeing some cheap boots but I think the guy went offline, no worries

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    @Rius I'll have to send you my PoB for my Delve Blight Occultist after I get home. I did the Xirgil's Crank thing because HC but you'll definitely have enough survivability for SC using a rare staff for a lot more DPS. I did tri curse Enfeeble and Temp Chains Blasphemy with a Witchfire, you could go dual curse instead and take the Chaos DoT nodes. But Profane Bloom is kinda mandatory.

I'm rebounding it for 3.5 with the new tree and some of the new veiled mods. I did the -chaos res fossil crafted helm. I used a Shaper belt (Crystal base is ideal but a heavy belt saves you a passive point or two) with Dense fossil crafting for %ES modifiers and recovery. I went with a Beast Fur Shawl because %increased modifiers are extremely effective with so little on the tree, and the 40% recovery meant I had 4k recharge per second. 9300 ES with decent but not insane gear. A real ES chest would get you to 10.5k and some other optimized pieces easily above 11k

Blight DPS is really hard to model in PoB. Spreading Rot jewels only apply as long as the initial Hinder from Blight is active (on bosses this is 2-3 seconds with Temporal Chains) so you can't realistically check the Is Enemy Hindered box when calculating boss DPS. Spreading Rot is still worth the jewel sockets as it obliterates everything other than bosses though. I estimated that with 24k Blight DPS and a 4.73 cast rate I was getting approximately 320k boss DPS with continuous channeling not counting Spreading Rot (DPS times cast rate times primary duration). The math is wonky and you have to be able to facetank to achieve that, hence my overly defensive build.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I did tri curse Enfeeble and Temp Chains Blasphemy with a Witchfire

I used a Shaper belt (Crystal base is ideal but a heavy belt saves you a passive point or two) with Dense fossil crafting for %ES modifiers and recovery

The problem with Witchfire is you don't get any Quality bonus, neither from the Despair curse itself nor Blasphemy. Quality on curses/blasphemy is really strong, some of the best spots to get quality on gems in the game.

The belt passive thing is a trap; you can get 30 Str for a single passive, you can't get anywhere near 80 flat energy shield for that much. The real problem is ilvl 75+ shaped crystal belts are $$$ (although I guess 1.5 exalts is not, like, the worst thing)

The secondary hinder duration of Blight is why I'm going hard in the paint with increased skill effect duration

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    All i know is that im glad that i cant actually manipulate my inventory stash from the account page. I'd never get anything done at work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »
    I did tri curse Enfeeble and Temp Chains Blasphemy with a Witchfire

I used a Shaper belt (Crystal base is ideal but a heavy belt saves you a passive point or two) with Dense fossil crafting for %ES modifiers and recovery

The problem with Witchfire is you don't get any Quality bonus, neither from the Despair curse itself nor Blasphemy. Quality on curses/blasphemy is really strong, some of the best spots to get quality on gems in the game.

The belt passive thing is a trap; you can get 30 Str for a single passive, you can't get anywhere near 80 flat energy shield for that much. The real problem is ilvl 75+ shaped crystal belts are $$$ (although I guess 1.5 exalts is not, like, the worst thing)

The secondary hinder duration of Blight is why I'm going hard in the paint with increased skill effect duration

ilvl 80+ Shaped crystal belt bases were 5-6ex in HC last league. So I went with the 20c option. You need 80+ for one of the mods I wanted. I can't remember which one.

You don't need quality on Despair as much as you'd think. Bosses getting reduced curse effect -which is where you most need the damage - makes trying to squeeze it into a double Blasphemy + Discipline reservation setup not really worth the effort. You're also a bit link starved to put it into a Curse On Hit setup although you certainly could manage it. Witchfire gives a large chunk of increased damage over time too and since you'll want a Stibnite anyway it's a solid choice. An Impresence might be the best way to go but I needed something like 50 dex on my amulet. Also I think those were outrageously expensive in Delve.

Like I said you can optimize the build a lot further but i spent a solid 20ex on 6 linking 2 Xirgil's (I ripped one to stupidity), fossil crafting a helm and belt, and buying a level 21 Vaal Blight (extremely rare last league and 21/20 Vaal couldn't exist without the Temple) so I was pretty broke at the end. But it felt amazing to just stand in front of things and be unable to die short of a one shot.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I'm going to run triple blasphemy + aspect of the spider + discipline entirely out of my mana globe

#Ambitions

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well that’s the pale court out of the way , god I hate hunting for their prophecy s

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Someone posted a video to the subreddit of the #1 guy in hardcore dying on new year's eve at level 98

Except it was a video from a couple of years ago and the league was ten weeks old

chris has mentioned multiple times that he doesnt like that the race to 100 in new leagues is over the first weekend

#bring back month long 100 races

I don't like that some people can play as much in a week as I will in a league. But that's life.

• Options
    I'm going to run triple blasphemy + aspect of the spider + discipline entirely out of my mana globe

#Ambitions

God I want to fit Aspect of the Spider into the build. It would be amazing

Although honestly a low life version would make this doable and also be even better.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Low Life can't use the +60% damage when on full life suffix on the two-hander, and good suffixes on weapons for Chaos DoT are basically nonexistant

that suffix has basically driven my entire set of build decisions

Plus low life is forced into Shavronne's and if I don't have a rare body armor I can't use the recover 30% of ES when you Focus mod

• Options
    @Rius here you go: https://pastebin.com/Bnfh2CuP

I cheated a bit and added gem quality to my links, I had all 20q on my first go and hadn't got around to it here. Gem quality makes a big difference.

This is the (second, post-rip) Blight Occultist I was using in 3.4, with my planned changes to the tree for 3.5 at level 92. I basically dropped Spiritual Aid for the Atrophy cluster, dropped the spell damage nodes near witch start to get Growth and Decay, and then cheated from 89 to 92 to pick up Corruption. It's what I would have done if I got there! Only thing I dislike is the lack of jewel sockets, in SC you could probably drop some of the ES nodes at Scion to get another one and maybe just skip Growth and Decay altogether.

DPS calculation: 30k boss DPS per stack, 4.73 cast rate = 600k maxed boss DPS. Which is a long time for most map boss fights! Shaper/Guardian DPS is 486k (at 4.2 seconds) which is solid and gets you right to 19 stacks instead of above 20, but again you're probably not standing still for 5 full seconds. Hinder increases DPS during the first 2.26s against Shaper/Guardians, 2.73s against map bosses, where you're dealing less than half your full stack of damage; Hinder is not the thing you want to focus on for killing bosses, but you'll miss Spreading Rot jewels if you ditch them when going up against tanky Delve and Incursion rares. A perfect 4 prop regular jewel might be more effective for bossing than one of these, simply because letting the full Blight stack fall off so you can get another Hinder is not any more effective than just continuing to cast.

The secondary duration goes up by a whole 0.5s if you can grab the other duration cluster. So skill effect duration is useful to a point but ehhhh.

It turns out Allelopathy are great even if you've got your Blight in a 6 link when you're trying to max DPS, but I couldn't say no to my 189 ES dual res gloves that I rolled. The biggest thing I skipped out on and would try and get more of is cast speed, it really improves how Blight feels against tough targets. New crafting would give some excellent tools to improve gear on this.

Gear: I'm pretty happy with the helmet, gloves, belt and boots. The belt I crafted in like 4 tries, I then spent another 40-50 tries on a second base trying to open up a suffix and fix my damn resists (and dex) but never could. Helm was a similar story, I had a 265 ES one that I got quickly and then burned a whole bunch more Dense fossils trying to improve. I had to lean heavily on my rings for resists, and amulet for stats. Optimizing those was my end goal for this character.

Gem links are obviously HC geared. Stone Golem was a total bro in Delves, he kept projectiles off me and the regen was nice, but I wouldn't use one in SC. I don't remember why I had a Vaal FB in there, I don't think I ever used it. Vaal Cold Snap in CWDT added a nice chill and frenzy charge generation component that I honestly felt was pretty important to the build. Randomly grabbing 3 frenzies to improve cast speed and damage was pretty clutch, and the point blank AoE of Vaal Cold Snap stacked well with Temp Chains.

Throw your crafted staff in there and the DPS will undoubtedly be a lot higher. It's already pretty good. I think a lot of people overlook Blight because without a lot of investment it feels really terrible, and without Profane Bloom is struggles to clear maps well. Build it right, and it's one of my favorite skills with a HC-friendly safe playstyle where everything is just sloooooooow.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Your point about rare body armor and that veiled mod is well taken. It solves a giant issue with playing ES builds.

I'm unconvinced that a 60% damage mod is worth building around on its own, but I can definitely see why Shavs is sub-par for what you're going for.

There's a really solid cast speed suffix for staves, beyond that you're right about it being kind of a wasteland. I suppose if you have enough chaos DoT multi and spell damage to start with you could multicraft some resists and try and get your suffix value on other items. That feels like a pretty lame way to finish a great item.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Briefly logon to get some dailies done.

Exalt #3 of the league drops. Get another T10 to drop out of a T9 Zana, so I chisel, sextant, and shrine it hoping to break into red maps (or at least unlock a T11 so I can get +2s from the map pool of Tier 9s I was about to run) and have 2 Bogs drop, my first red maps of the league. Chisel and craft a bog, corrupt it to un'id'd (perfect), run it and have a T12 drop, woo.

Then someone buys all 23 Dense Fossils I had up for sale.

Not a terrible late night quick hop on.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Briefly logon to get some dailies done.

Exalt #3 of the league drops. Get another T10 to drop out of a T9 Zana, so I chisel, sextant, and shrine it hoping to break into red maps (or at least unlock a T11 so I can get +2s from the map pool of Tier 9s I was about to run) and have 2 Bogs drop, my first red maps of the league. Chisel and craft a bog, corrupt it to un'id'd (perfect), run it and have a T12 drop, woo.

Then someone buys all 23 Dense Fossils I had up for sale.

Not a terrible late night quick hop on.

You're kicking my ass for money (i.e. dense fossils) and I'm in red maps. I need to figure out how to farm fossils. On the other hand I've done 2 yellow and one red Elder and gotten a belt every time. I almost threw my controller at my expensive TV when that third Cyclopean Coil dropped.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    It's kind of hilarious coming into the thread with only ~20 hours played and seeing an entirely different language spoken. Such is the nature of the beast.

Any advice for a newbie on thing like "save this orb until you have X" or "Go ahead and use these orbs because they drop like candy later" (I'm in the low 50s with my necromancer, started Act 6 a bit ago)

While leveling I normally pick up every flask and every rare/unique I find. Identify the rares and sell them to the vendor for alteration orbs and alchemy shards. Uniques go into their own tab to be traded (if they're worth more than a chaos) or kept (if they're good for builds/leveling). Once my unique page is filled, I start vendoring anything that isn't worth trading. I also pick up any 3linked items with all three colors linked (eg [B-R-G] links or [B-B-R-G] or [R B-R-G] links) which are sold for Chromatic orbs.

Alteration orbs can be sold for 4 wisdom scrolls, so a stack of 20 alts turns into 80 wisdoms. Alchemy Shards turn into Alchemy Orbs. Alchemy orbs are used for maps once you get past the campaign, and generally shouldn't be otherwise used (unless you're leveling and find a white with 4links in the right color). Alteration orbs are used to reroll flasks (flasks are extremely important at all stages of the game).

Fusing orbs are very rare are generally 1:1 worth Alchemy orbs. I save them until I get the 4-link recipe, because my personal average is 10 fusings to get a 4-link, and the recipe only costs 4 fusings. I can normally end Act 10 with ~200 Chromatic orbs even after using them on leveling gear; you should be careful with using them as something as simple as getting BBGG on evasion gear can cost a lot of orbs. I think I've put 75 into my Chin Sol.

Jeweler's Orbs are very hard to get a hold of until you start getting 6 socketed items dropping, which sell to a vendor for 7 Jewelers. I think I have like 300 of them now at level 80.

So, Transmutation (30:1chaos) and Alteration Orbs (7:1c) are pretty low value and are mostly useful for flasks. Chance (15:1c) are for buying maps from Zana, or for gambling to get valuable uniques. I've never had luck with Navali, so I typically keep my Silver Coins (5:1c) for trading. Blessed Orbs (5:1c) are great for when you get a good item with a low implicit roll, but they're so rare they just tend to sit in my stash. Scourings (4:1c) are good for when you trade for an item with a garbage crafted modifier.

Fusings and Alchs (2:1c) are as useful as they are hard to come by, so I use them sparingly. Alchs get used on maps to make it more likely that you'll get good currency/map drops and are generally self sustaining. Cartographer's Chisels (2:1c) are something level 90 people use on tier 10+ maps, and I normally trade them off for chaos.

Orbs of Regret (2:3c) can be used or traded as you like; some people save them for when they roll back into standard mode so they can respec characters.

Vaal (1:1c), Regals (1:1c), Sextants (1:2c/2:4c), Chaos (1:1c), Divines (1:15c), Exalteds (1:160c), and Mirrors (1:17,300c) are all things that people who know what they're doing use to make ridiculous items.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Oh nice, I didn't know red elder can drop watcher's eyes, I thought it was uber elder only.

E4raUIf.png
    Looks like it will sell for a couple of ex, not too bad when I wasn't expecting anything.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Orbs of Regret also buy Alchs from vendors. Very useful in a pinch.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    It is finished

xc1spkiwfjty.jpg

First thing I started on, last thing I finished crafting lel

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Just full cleared the merciless lab, got all the dark shrines and silver doors and had 3 keys, and then just as Izaro's platform is about to lock into to place so I can start hurting him my game/connection hitches

tried running to the door and spamming potions but to no avail

it was such a good lab run too

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Another hundred risings and nothing . It’s you and me tabula till one hundred.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It is finished

xc1spkiwfjty.jpg

First thing I started on, last thing I finished crafting lel

1. How much is something like that worth? Might make my ED character good lol
    2. Is that Chaos DoT Multiplier mod a normal mod or some kind of Elder/Shaper/etc.

• Options
    Chaos DoT Multi is a normal caster-type item prefix; it goes up to 79 on two-handers but I never saw a roll higher than 46-55. The multimodding cost 4ex, though it's just 3ex if you settle for a lower tier of cast speed. And the base six link only cost me 20c because nobody is using staves with the block implicit instead of the 100% global crit chance, haha.

The real expense was rolling it with Dense + Aberrant Fossils. I spent like 5ex getting it to just those two mods, because first you have to hit them, then you have to annul down to them. You might get significantly luckier than I did.

• Options
    That staff is disgusting

Empower is a core support for Blight so that's a free +2.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    It's also a measurable percent more damage from the four damage supports since they're each 2% higher and multiplicative

Rius on
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I'm not sure how to price this. I can't find any jewels with a triple bleed bonus.

1VXnGOZ.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I hit level 97 on my Juggernaut this evening, which is an all time high for me. I did an uber elder since I was expecting to die but I ended up doing it deathless, much to my surprise.

He didn't drop anything valuable unfortunately, but that's how it goes.

Not sure what to play next, I haven't played a bow character in a long time so I might do something with a bow?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    06WNgG4.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like something's missing.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I managed to get this working on my Linux machine via Steam.

I haven't even started a character yet and I'm already getting flashbacks of 'Nam D2 Baalruns.

• Options
    I'm at the point where I stopped playing last time, early 70's tier 1/2 maps where every death erases the last 20 minutes of exp gain at least

but I found a blessed orb in a barrel so that was kinda neat

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Ok boss we need details if we are to help, life ? any defense? Resists? My first few leagues were like that as it’s hard to gear on the Xbox so I know the struggle .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I stopped playing last time, early 70's tier 1/2 maps where every death erases the last 20 minutes of exp gain at least

wait till you get to 90+ and a death erases hours

also, once you can start pushing yellow maps, the xp should come fast and furious until you hit about 85ish

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

also, once you can start pushing yellow maps, the xp should come fast and furious until you hit about 85ish

Went into the mastermind without knowing the mechanics (fight is god awful btw) and went from 90%to 94 to 10 also lost three portals to Xbox crashes and 1 to instantly dying to an attack that hadn’t loaded its graphic.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Ok boss we need details if we are to help, life ? any defense? Resists? My first few leagues were like that as it’s hard to hear on the Xbox so I know the struggle .

On xbox I pretty much only play tanky builds (although I've got two poet's pens waiting for when my tanky char has unlocked the atlas and I can set up an appropriate map strategy for a 100 zoom zoom). I got a pathfinder and a jugg up to 88 in Delve SSFHC before I ran out of time but this time I'm glad I went SC. I died a ton to pesky betrayal characters I would have been wise to avoid (but hey, that's why I played SC this time).

Kwoaru: the trick to living is partly just due to experience and knowing things to be afraid of (balls of fire chasing you around or little electrified dr manhattans). There are some bosses who will wreck you if you aren't aware of the attacks (see Rigwald, Malachai etc). If you are new and like me hate dying and losing that xp, you need to make sure you cap resists and get all the life nodes. Post your username (if on PC) and we can provide some input.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options

We'll see how far I make it!

Like I'm not gonna try the lab again until after my next level up, and I'm probably gonna start avoiding syndicate activity and incursions too

Just gonna keep clearing the atol over and over again

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Like I'm not gonna try the lab again until after my next level up, and I'm probably gonna start avoiding syndicate activity and incursions too

if you need help with lab, people can help pretty easily

also you can likely get some very solid gear upgrades for dirt cheap if you know what to look for

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think brands are the safest build I've ever played and I'd highly recommend them as a starter. Their self-propagating nature edges out mines for me. I've never done totems but the fact that brands can't die and won't chain projectiles to you makes me think I'd prefer them in that matchup too.

• Options
    totems are safer as they provide ablative health and allow you to initiate from a distance

also more damage

but brands are quite strong and pretty easy to get started with

• Options

Incursions can be dangerous if you don't have good damage and chaos resist. If you are new, don't be brave. Overcap, overlevel, overfightanotherday. Racers will do act 10 Kitava at under 3k HP. I like over 4k.

― Marcus Aurelius