As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I am constantly reminded at how bullshit the calculations are in PoE DoT spells. I think my Vortex tooltip says 20k DPS in game. Loaded into PoE It's 60k initial hit, 240k DoT DPS.

Though I think there's an error going on with Winter Orb calculations in PoB. It says I only have 30k DPS with WO at max stages. But it clears packs as well, if not better than vortex.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    There is a default filter you can enable that will hide grey items with no sockets and makes a noise when an item you might want to look at drops. It isn't good but it does make a fun noise when an item with 6 sockets drops.

MLG filter is the way and the light

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    I am constantly reminded at how bullshit the calculations are in PoE DoT spells. I think my Vortex tooltip says 20k DPS in game. Loaded into PoE It's 60k initial hit, 240k DoT DPS.

Though I think there's an error going on with Winter Orb calculations in PoB. It says I only have 30k DPS with WO at max stages. But it clears packs as well, if not better than vortex.

Tooltip is only good comparing your own progress but yeah it's not very useful overall

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

My bleed splosions gladiator in 3.3 had a 42k tooltip with lacerate

not bad, but definitely not red elder viable

turns out with blood dance, its 42k x 2 (hits of lacerate) (x 8 blooddance)

so it was about 700k bleeding

only PoB shows this

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Winter Orb DPS isn't very accurate in either PoB or tooltip as far as I can tell

Seems like Lancing Steel has a similar issue

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    It makes me wonder if I should just turn WO into my primary damage dealer and set up a Phase run.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    PoB DPS is per projectile so you have to do the multiplication by itself.

Also build guides helped me stop bouncing off the game. I said no to them for awhile and I consider it a mistake. Outside of a few individuals, like SC, there is little that hasnt been tried in this game in terms of build permutations. So it just makes sense to trust that someone has already tried what you are trying to build.

• Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/adalk0/loot_from_farming_syndicate_in_the_harbour_bridge/

Pretty interesting read. Dude made just shy of 3500 chaos in 10 hours running an act 8 zone. Could be a good way to earn some income as a baddy.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Had my first Exalted drop while leveling my tectonic slam Jugg. Dropped off a Syndicate member in Act 7 at about level 60.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    May have got buried in my last post, but does anyone have the Tier 4 "Gain (19–22)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage" for bows? The craft requires 8 vaals.

• Options
    May have got buried in my last post, but does anyone have the Tier 4 "Gain (19–22)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage" for bows? The craft requires 8 vaals.

I think I have the 4 vaal one is all

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    We started using Filterblade last night and it's a huge improvement; we can kinda see what's going on in Syndicate fights now.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    At some point the damage of conc path will be underwhelming, and that's when you embrace molten strike completely

An MS helm enchant seems great but unnecessary; I don't need it for Uber and it's fucking expensive now.

Made the swap to MS last night. Clearing feels pretty good with the advent of ancestral call. I gotta get a few more levels to pick up point blank sadly; been contemplating some passive tree changes after looking at a few of the top MS builds on poeninja.

I'm a bit torn on links though. Right now I'm running with Jag's suggestion of:
    • Molten Strike
    • Weapon Elemental Damage with Attacks
    • Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
    • Concentrated Effect
    • Elemental Focus
    • Ancestral Call or Fire Penetration
    I also have a multistrike leveling and was using it briefly, just not sure if it's better/worse/matter of preference.

I did get a rather amusing enchant on my gloves though! Decree of Fury seems pretty well suited to this build.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I believe those are the exact links I'm using. So far I've only swapped to Fire Penetration in lieu of AC on, like, Elder Guardians. I left AC on for Uber Elder and still didn't have a problem with damage.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I've been working through my steam backlog and have been playing Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. One annoying thing it does is slows down when I change areas via the town portal/portal platform and also when I am running around in the world. This is likely related to it loading in new enemies. Annoyingly, it also sometimes causes things to slowdown slightly just as I encounter a group of enemies and when the pause ends I basically get 1 shot as the game catches up and I receive all the damage during the slowdown.

Does this issue also exist in Path of Exile? I remember it happening in Diablo 2 and it is putting a serious damper on my enjoyment of Titan Quest. I've been thinking of trying out Path of Exile, but if it has the same issue it probably isn't worth the aggravation the slowdown will cause.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there a value for defenses I should be aiming towards moving into Act 6+? I have full elemental resist, but nothing for Chaos atm.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I've been working through my steam backlog and have been playing Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. One annoying thing it does is slows down when I change areas via the town portal/portal platform and also when I am running around in the world. This is likely related to it loading in new enemies. Annoyingly, it also sometimes causes things to slowdown slightly just as I encounter a group of enemies and when the pause ends I basically get 1 shot as the game catches up and I receive all the damage during the slowdown.

Does this issue also exist in Path of Exile? I remember it happening in Diablo 2 and it is putting a serious damper on my enjoyment of Titan Quest. I've been thinking of trying out Path of Exile, but if it has the same issue it probably isn't worth the aggravation the slowdown will cause.

Sounds like you might not have an SSD? I don't have any load issues with an SSD, though there's the expected few seconds of delay if I zone into the endgame social area with tons of people with tons of fancy MTX.

The only slowdown that occurs for me in PoE is if I'm lagging, internet-wise, or if I burst the server with a billion calculations in a few frames, which most builds won't do.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I have never had slowdown in poe that I couldn't reasonably attribute to my connection being crap

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Also is it worth my time to make sure I get all my stat requirements from passives? I was working on upgrading my resists yesterday and it turns out I had like 50 dex I need for gems coming from gear

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Sounds like you might not have an SSD? I don't have any load issues with an SSD, though there's the expected few seconds of delay if I zone into the endgame social area with tons of people with tons of fancy MTX.

The only slowdown that occurs for me in PoE is if I'm lagging, internet-wise, or if I burst the server with a billion calculations in a few frames, which most builds won't do.

I've completely shot my game to shit going max out.

I hit Mid/Mid/1/2/3/4/5/Q/E and every time my ping spikes for about 1 second and the shit just freezes, usually everything is dead by the time my connection gets restored.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I know you said steam so you're probably thinking about playing on PC but you can get some weird loading on console. It can sometimes take a few seconds for all the textures to load in. Normally it's just icons and item pictures in inventory but occasionally it'll also be monster models and effects.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I know you said steam so you're probably thinking about playing on PC but you can get some weird loading on console. It can sometimes take a few seconds for all the textures to load in. Normally it's just icons and item pictures in inventory but occasionally it'll also be monster models and effects.

I'm p sure this is VRAM limitations bearing their ugly head.

My 970 does the same thing and maps with "monster variety" are goddamned infuriating.

• Options
    I believe those are the exact links I'm using. So far I've only swapped to Fire Penetration in lieu of AC on, like, Elder Guardians. I left AC on for Uber Elder and still didn't have a problem with damage.

Awesome, and I managed to dig up your profile for reference.

• Options
    Upcoming patch;
    Einhar once again sells Bestiary Orbs.

Real curious to see what happens to the price of certain beasts. There is a not insignificant group of folks who have a menagerie literally filled with red beasts.

• Options
    2 days of crushing low level Betrayal finally paid off and let me get research.

Now I've got a 5 against socket color Bronns and man putting that and Starkonjas on was a hell of an upgrade.

• Options
    I had a near perfectly rolled Rime Gaze drop for my Winter Orb/vortex/coldsnap elementalist.

Now to double corrupt it

• Options
    Best thing in new patch, syndicate boss names won't stack on top of each other anymore!

• Options
    hi its me

the guy buying up all redblade tramplers

i need a +1 endurance charge corrupt

hi its me

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    hi its me

hi its me

Why you do such a crazy thing (I'm actually curious what it's for).

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    hi its me

hi its me

gotta be some sort of Tidebreaker nonsense, right?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    I'll give you a hint

His latest character is named ThonkThonkThonk

• Options
    edited January 2019
    hi its me

hi its me

i made a new character

34oi9pgnop90.jpg

06x8y3r9gmrm.jpg

Stun Mechanics

Background Knowledge

1. If a hit's stun chance is less than 20%, the real chance to stun is 0%.
    2. Stun chance is based on 200% * damage done in this hit / defender's effective max life.
    3. Defender's effective max life is reduced by r.E.S.T.
    4. Defender's effective max life is not affected by party scaling.
    5. Base stun duration is 0.35 seconds. A Ruthless Blow has base stun duration of 0.8 seconds.
    6. Stun duration is simply base stun duration * (1 + stun duration modifier).
    7. Slow effects from chill and Temporal Chains prolongs stun duration. (The "cursed enemies are 29% slower" part from Temporal Chains affects stun duration, not the "other effects on cursed enemies expire 40% slower" part.)

Therefore, to land a stun, we need a combination of r.E.S.T. and high damage per hit. Then, to achieve stun-locking, we need a moderate amount of attack rate combined with stun duration.

*Usually attack per hit and attack rate are almost equally important. So, when deciding between the two, take whichever that provides higher DPS.

Defender's effective max life is their total life pool (before party scaling) multiplied by:
    -If r.E.S.T <= 75: 0.01 * (100 - r.E.S.T.)
    -If r.E.S.T > 75: 0.25 - 0.25 * ((r.E.S.T. - 75) / (r.E.S.T. - 50))

A plot to visualize the non-linear growth of r.E.S.T.
    Spoiler

We can see that additional r.E.S.T. becomes less effective as we get more of it. However, stacking r.E.S.T. is still usually the most effective way to boost our stun capability.

Stunning Shaper

You should have around 130% r.E.S.T. with this build (without Stun Support).

Where do I get this 130% r.E.S.T.
    Spoiler

-Tidebreaker: 20-30%
    -Endurance Charge on Melee Stun from Tidebreaker: 19%
    -Redblade Trampler: 5-10%
    -Belt suffix: up to 15%, more if essence crafted
    -Skull Cracking wheel: 18%
    -Stun Mastery wheel: 15%
    -Heavy Strike: 25%
    *Small node before Overwhelm ascendancy notable: 5%

Maximum total 132% (137% with Overwhelm)

With 130% r.E.S.T., defender's effective max life is reduced to 7.8% of their life pool, thus if we deal damage equivalent to 0.78% of the target's max life, this hit will have a chance to land a stun.

Life pool of endgame bosses according to PoEDB:
    -T15 boss: 3 million
    -Uber Izaro: 4 million
    -Elder Guardians: 8 million
    -Guardians: 10-12 million
    -Elder: 16 million
    -Shaper: 20 million

So, to possibly stun Shaper, we need 156k damage in one hit. To guarantee a stun on Shaper, we need 780k damage in one hit.

According to Path of Building, my Berserker's damage per hit is at 280k to 850k (data may be outdated). In PoB, chance to deal double damage and Ruthless Blow are calculated improperly, and the real damage range is 120k to 1740k. Thus, my high roll hits are more than enough to guarantee stuns on Shaper.

*With Stun Support, it's even easier to stun Shaper, but you will lose some DPS. You also should replace Empire's Grasp with Facebreaker for Shaper fight, which offers 10% additional r.E.S.T.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hi its me

hi its me

i made a new character

34oi9pgnop90.jpg

06x8y3r9gmrm.jpg

Stun Mechanics

Background Knowledge

2. Stun chance is based on 200% * damage done in this hit / defender's effective max life.
    5. Base stun duration is 0.35 seconds. A Ruthless Blow has base stun duration of 0.8 seconds.
    7. Slow effects from chill and Temporal Chains prolongs stun duration. (The "cursed enemies are 29% slower" part from Temporal Chains affects stun duration, not the "other effects on cursed enemies expire 40% slower" part.)

Therefore, to land a stun, we need a combination of r.E.S.T. and high damage per hit. Then, to achieve stun-locking, we need a moderate amount of attack rate combined with stun duration.

*Usually attack per hit and attack rate are almost equally important. So, when deciding between the two, take whichever that provides higher DPS.

Defender's effective max life is their total life pool (before party scaling) multiplied by:

Spoiler

We can see that additional r.E.S.T. becomes less effective as we get more of it. However, stacking r.E.S.T. is still usually the most effective way to boost our stun capability.

Stunning Shaper

Spoiler

With 130% r.E.S.T., defender's effective max life is reduced to 7.8% of their life pool, thus if we deal damage equivalent to 0.78% of the target's max life, this hit will have a chance to land a stun.

So, to possibly stun Shaper, we need 156k damage in one hit. To guarantee a stun on Shaper, we need 780k damage in one hit.

According to Path of Building, my Berserker's damage per hit is at 280k to 850k (data may be outdated). In PoB, chance to deal double damage and Ruthless Blow are calculated improperly, and the real damage range is 120k to 1740k. Thus, my high roll hits are more than enough to guarantee stuns on Shaper.

*With Stun Support, it's even easier to stun Shaper, but you will lose some DPS. You also should replace Empire's Grasp with Facebreaker for Shaper fight, which offers 10% additional r.E.S.T.

Nerd

• Options
    hi its me

hi its me

i made a new character

34oi9pgnop90.jpg

06x8y3r9gmrm.jpg

Stun Mechanics

Background Knowledge

Spoiler

Stunning Shaper

Spoiler

Hi. I'm dumb, what is r.E.S.T.? And that build looks ridiculous

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Estimated stun threshold

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Mentioned my latest rip in guild chat last night. Tiredly clearing Mao Kun on a Zana mission, forgot that Spectral Throw can hit multiple times max range. Fairgraves crit, shocked and stunlocked me because I tried to fight him from range. It was so dumb I could only laugh.

I'm going to try a CI Caustic Arrow Occultist using Soul Strike and triple curse... without taking one of either Vile Bastion or Malediction. Stun immunity is achievable elsewhere, so I'm leaning toward dropping VB as the regen while clearing shouldn't be entirely necessary with a .83s ES Recharge delay and 5k ES recharge per second.

320k Shaper DPS, 10k ES on good but reasonable gear. Let's see how it goes.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Last day of my mini vacation and....

7519vtnpc0vp.jpg

Its actually a decent one too!
    7odzwsqjymlb.jpg

• Options
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    hi its me

hi its me

i made a new character

34oi9pgnop90.jpg

06x8y3r9gmrm.jpg

Stun Mechanics

Background Knowledge

Spoiler

Stunning Shaper

Spoiler

Hi. I'm dumb, what is r.E.S.T.? And that build looks ridiculous

it stands for Reduced Enemy Stun Threshold

its technically the most broken damage type in game. In order to stun, you need to hit for x% of a monsters max hp

the REST stat reduces their "effective hp"

i have 137 REST

monsters have 137% reduced hp when i hit them with an attack that stuns

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Seriousness, if you want to get major progression in Betrayal and finish out your Fully Upgraded Rooms challenge, running the bridge in act 7 between the concourses will get you that. Several safehouses an hour. Got quite a few gilded scarabs. Many temples!

jungleroomx on