As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

1939495969799»

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I never realised they'd do stuff like that, I couldn't believe it! Bit naive in hindsight.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    recruiters are like half a step above sales people in how slimebuckety they can act

but they help people get jobs and money so I give them at least a little bit of credit for that

They are sales people, but they are at least a step closer to meritocracy than most hiring processes.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    University president sacked. We have no one in a President or VP position left at the university now.

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

~sits on the Throne of Dissertations~

NOW I AM KING OF UNIVERSITY.

Now you are the one who has to procure the snakes.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had one call my cell phone with the "local number" trick to try and get me to pick up.

Jokes on them, no one I know has this area code and first 3 digits so they ended up getting sent to voicemail. I can't wait until I can badger one with the google screening stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    The other week someone called our company number, which goes to our CEOs cellphone, to ask for me.

I wasn't in so CEO asks where he's calling from and the guy goes "I'm a recruiter for [competitor]".

Genius.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    The other week someone called our company number, which goes to our CEOs cellphone, to ask for me.

I wasn't in so CEO asks where he's calling from and the guy goes "I'm a recruiter for [competitor]".

Genius.

Maybe you should ask for a raise come annual review time?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

Genius.

How much did you pay the caller?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    recruiters are like half a step above sales people in how slimebuckety they can act

but they help people get jobs and money so I give them at least a little bit of credit for that

from the PoV of a small company, recruiters are lying useless scumbuckets who will at best bleed off a percentage of the unlucky employee's wages in return for making two phone calls.

but I suppose they might have a place in the greater economic ecosystem/

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I got a call at work today from a recruiter claiming it was a personal call and trying to headhunt me for a position at another practice.

A) I love where I work.
    B) apparently this is a common thing, they pretend to be a friend so they can get through to you??

That's dirty as hell. I never get personal calls, I panicked and thought it was bad news about my granny.

How could they ever think that's a good idea? Urgh.
    I'm in a similar situation where anybody I'd expect a personal call from has my cell phone, so a call to work like that would make me think something catastrophic happened.

I already have very little patience for people who waste my time*. Doing so through false pretenses is a sure way to set me off and get an earful.

*i waste enough of my own time that what little remains i guard like a dragon.

steam_sig.png
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I like LinkedIn recruiters better cause you have that nice "Sorry, I'm not interested" shortcut.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

from the PoV of a small company, recruiters are lying useless scumbuckets who will at best bleed off a percentage of the unlucky employee's wages in return for making two phone calls.

but I suppose they might have a place in the greater economic ecosystem/

yeah I straight up dislike them

@Deebaser always referred to robert half as "robert half-your-paycheck" which I always found funny... and sadly accurate.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I have just been asked to be a volunteer judge for a high school business competition.

My category?

fixed-480w.png

Follow up to this, I got the topic that the kids will be debating:
    "Research the ethical issue of gift giving in a business setting. Be prepared to present the following:
    -- What could or can be accepted without disclosure?
    -- What should not or cannot be accepted or given?
    -- What should be recorded?
    -- How staff can seek further guidance?"

I'm very excited to hear teenagers argue about this.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I got a call at work today from a recruiter claiming it was a personal call and trying to headhunt me for a position at another practice.

A) I love where I work.
    B) apparently this is a common thing, they pretend to be a friend so they can get through to you??

That's dirty as hell. I never get personal calls, I panicked and thought it was bad news about my granny.

I'm in a similar situation where anybody I'd expect a personal call from has my cell phone, so a call to work like that would make me think something catastrophic happened.

I already have very little patience for people who waste my time*. Doing so through false pretenses is a sure way to set me off and get an earful.

Just a point, why yell at them? If they mention the opportunity call that HR up and express your disapproval to them about the misleading tactics.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh great, expectation is all or most of the Board of Trustees is going to be forced out next.

Person now in charge (last person left standing) is the person who funded our office in the first place, which is good, but likely that's only until they appoint someone from the Board of Governors which is dominated by DeSantis's conservative government, which is bad.

It feels like that Designated Survivor show.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Oh great, expectation is all or most of the Board of Trustees is going to be forced out next.

Person now in charge (last person left standing) is the person who funded our office in the first place, which is good, but likely that's only until they appoint someone from the Board of Governors which is dominated by DeSantis's conservative government, which is bad.

I just googled a bit about that situation. Surely someone is going to get charged, right?

A) I love where I work.

Just a point, why yell at them? If they mention the opportunity call that HR up and express your disapproval to them about the misleading tactics.

This is in the hypothetical situation where I get called at work by a recruiter. That has never happened. I'm not to my knowledge out on any sort of site that would let any recruiter find me, deliberately.

The only nonhypotheticals have been from the kinds of sales people and charity cold callers where you can't easily track down a legitimate responsible party.

steam_sig.png
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I just googled a bit about that situation. Surely someone is going to get charged, right?

That's the thing, its not technically a crime in a prosecution sense. It's misappropriation rather than grift or whatever. They used the wrong pot of money for years to do things that were technically approved by the state, but misled the state about where the funds were coming from.

The president that retired last year and his CFO probably were the only people who could be actionable beyond firing.

There also is a suspicion that one of the staff persons fired in the wake of the fallout might have been the whistleblower, which will make things yet worse down the line. Not to mention the people in that termination group that swept money from the academic units like mine to cover their bases (for a hail mary to placate the state that didn't even work).

It's all fucked.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. The mayor is holding a press conference right now about snow prep for tomorrow. This never happens. We are pretty used to snow.

FINGER CROSSING INTENSIFIES.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    University president sacked. We have no one in a President or VP position left at the university now.

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

Quickly, begin the paperwork to allocate funds to programs/places that would do actual good for the students!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

I've been reliably informed this is, in fact, how it works.

The throne is also where the snakes come from. As King you are now also Head of Snake-Wrangling.

Bucketman wrote: »

Chaos is a ladder Enc.

CLIMB

Quickly, begin the paperwork to allocate funds to programs/places that would do actual good for the students!

Regardless of who becomes president in this horrible new world, that will not be the motivating factor for any of them I'd wager.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Some of the best learnin' I did in grad school was thanks to grad student TA's, and I mean that in the positive way.

I'd say that's the other side of this, as a proportion of the people there, I know way more students who want to go into teaching than professors who want to teach.

My first edict is to appoint this writhing pit of snakes as the new Promotion and Tenure committee.

If you want tenure, you jump in and if they let you escape alive you get full Professor.

Inexplicably, our tenure positions are now entirely held by biochemists and musicians.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My first edict is to appoint this writhing pit of snakes as the new Promotion and Tenure committee.

If you want tenure, you jump in and if they let you escape alive you get full Professor.

It's a perfect follow-on to your thesis defense - apply all those years of experience you know have in this harder, more advanced version of the scenario.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Hello. I've written a dissertation for a PhD. It is two words. "Give me."

Here is my argument.

"I want one."

Do you want my address to send the doctorate?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Coincidentally, the snakes are also the standard Dissertation and Thesis committees.

Just every committee is now snakes.

I'm putting the snakes to work guys. 100% employment by 2020 or bust.

As in the sides of the university buildings will bust with the amount of snakes.

I just remembered that since I didn't get that job last week that means next year I have to write, present, and defend, a thesis project...blarg

Coincidentally, the snakes are also the standard Dissertation and Thesis committees.

Just every committee is now snakes.

Little on the fucking nose, there.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We are forceast for MORE snow soon but it looks like it'll be like 1-2 inches, so I don't forsee any more snow days in my future.

"Someone cursed our plows, they have become snow. The slat is also snow. God save us"

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Scored an in person interview next week with an aerospace company and I've got two phone interviews on Monday. One with a medical device manufacturer and the other is with a clean tech startup. The startup is kind of an exciting opportunity but they're super early on, like they only have 4 guys right now and 3 of them or co-founders. It will be my second talk with them after they found me on LinkedIn. It's nice to be in a field with solid demand in good economic times. I'm hoping to leverage all of my work bullshit into a $15k raise when I finally jump ship but we'll see.

It is currently snowing around, but not on Wichita.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.