As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey do y'all like art?

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    51o94ovyixhz.jpg

The only art I have on my walls right now, but I adore Mark Ryden so good start.

EDIT: Yes those are postcards that friends got for me from his Seattle exhibition but they thought about me and got them for me so I got frames for them. They cost me almost nothing and I adore them.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    The Angel of Death Victorious is a bronze sculpture in Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio. It was created by sculptor Herman Matzen in the 1920s

D3sV-kJV4AEu6QA.jpg
    D3sV-kSU4AAbRyJ.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i've had this in draft forever, so i guess i'll just post it

i'm kinda all over the map, in some ways.
    i tend to like
    pencil or pen&ink a lot, watercolors, the very rare oil, photography, print methods -- especially woodcut/blocking like ukiyo-e, environmental art (Andy Goldsworthy! here's a trailer for one of his documentaries -- free stream if you have Prime), and i like comparing professional renditions of my hobbies, so fiber arts and ceramics.

i default to liking art nouveau, botanical illustrations, and really bold graphics (not Pop or Post-Modern, more International & Wiener Werkstätte), which are great, i just don't tend to hang 'em. right now on my walls, i've got, like, 50% land & city -scapes, 20% each for botanical illustrations and portraiture (human or animal), and the remaining goes to typography and a random assortment.

i'm not drawn to many famous individual pieces, though i do like some of the better-known artists, e.g. MC Escher & Alphonse Mucha.
    i have wanted to understand 'great' art more (never enough to take a theory class), but i've just settled into generally admiring works in a shallow way for the time being. it's me, i'm the art plebe.
    not that you have to understand art theory to 'get' a piece or otherwise enjoy it -- i just find that i have a hard time relating to the most beloved of art, and knowing more about & how to interpret it might resolve some of that for me. being a film major burnt me out a bit on applying critical thought, so i feel simultaneously a bit lazy and self-protective to just absorb art rather than interpret it. i enjoy museums and checking out works, regardless.

anyway, the student union poster-sale put these two in my college dormroom:
    Maxfield Parrish - Ecstasy
    5659.jpg

Frederic Leighton - Flaming June
    Leighton-Flaming-June.jpg
    which served as wake-up and sleep inspiration.
    years later, i deconstructed my copy of The Great Wave from one of those sales, and put it up sort of collage-esque to try and be less of a college stereotype (thus fulfilling another.)

i grew up with Michael Whelan's illustrations on many of the scifi and fantasy novels in our house, and my parents even had a book collecting those and his non-commissioned work.
    a digital diptych of two related covers, but yooo, all that amazing detail was painted:
    Michael-Whelan-masquerade-9579080-1152-864.jpg
    i also still love the original line illustrations for the Pooh (Ernest H. Shepard), Alice in Wonderland (John Tenniel), & Oz (John R. Neill) books, so between all these artists, there's a bit of a throughline on what i favor as an adult.

backstory of some stuff currently on my walls.
    years ago, my dad briefly worked in DC. and knowing how much i love travel and scenery of other places and beautiful photography, he thrifted a series of posters. and apparently went to some trouble to ensure these heavy, big-ass things made it to me intact in Oklahoma.
    which is why i have a set of the Saudi Arabian embassy's old travel posters, emblazoned with the country's name at the bottom and in giant wood frames.
    i've gotten a small amount of questioning from the more globally-aware of my folk, but i hardly ever have visitors, and "They're nice photos, I don't support the policies," succinctly asserted some degree of Death of the Author.
    but the more recent issues of, y'know, journalist murder kinda make me want to revisit displaying the posters as-is.
    Art!... It's Frequently Political!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Views of Samarkand, Uzbekistan, by Vasily Vereshchagin (1842-1904).

ermcfan5ku5u.jpeg
    d1thciku005x.jpeg
    43mvc9mrvvx3.jpeg
    cofmnsrhf5r0.jpeg

"I loved the sun all my life, and wanted to paint sunshine. When I happened to see warfare and say what I thought about it, I rejoiced that I would be able to devote myself to the sun once again. But the fury of war continued to pursue me" - Vereshchagin.

5cvctx44jajx.jpeg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Letters and symbols in sequence, written language itself, is an underrated art form.

0xol2znhkt41.jpeg
    Ogham, if you fancy sending a letter and drawing plants.

d59fndoanvk1.jpeg
    Braille, if you don’t want to waste valuable time seeing thing.

bg819fb8mgn1.jpeg
    Ancient Shiekah, if you fancy being a fictional adventurer uncovering secrets in Hyrule.

Now then, once you know words are art, you can make art into words.

cqq308b86n10.jpeg
    Cat (translated: qitt) by Mahmoud Tamman

cjfmv1t2kkyr.jpeg
    Kindness Matters by Jason Naylor

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    'The Eclipse of the Sun in Venice, July 6, 1842' (1842) by Ippolito Caffi

lccjeolvjwri.jpeg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Andreas Leonhard Roller (1805-1891), "Paesaggio con Castello" (1843)

D_mwEWiX4AEBq4e.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm currently reading a book about the evolving depictions of ghosts in British folklore, art, and literature, and it just introduced me to the artist Georgiana Houghton, who I had never heard of before and whose work I kind of love?

OrTd3Po.jpg

zAULndN.jpg

HJ0hSq5.jpg?1

So her whole deal is that she was involved with the spiritualist movement in the 1860s, and her watercolors were allegedly spirit paintings - she claimed to be influenced by the great masters of art in the production of them. She practiced automatic drawing (drawing with your eyes closed during a seance, as moved by the spirits in the room) as a component of these as well, and would do some automatic writing on the back for the description of what the piece was - stuff like Correggio talking about how this represents the Holy Trinity as he can now see them.

Anyways, she was doing all of this like half a century before abstract art became a thing, and honestly I dig her stuff more than I do a lot of other abstract art. Obviously the spiritualist angle of things is fairly suspect, but her art is legitimately very rad.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    iHsgOuB.jpg

Guernica is possibly my favorite piece of art.

I don't even know why, it just immediately evokes some kind of weird emotional sense memory that tugs at my guts and, besides Virtute the Cat, things never effect me deeply like that, so I feel a weird bond with it.

also I feel like I can use it as a visual representation of the fissured hellscape that is my mind at most times.

double also, the Brand New song is pretty good too

edit: I wonder how much it would cost to travel to see it, that's one thing that I'd really love to do.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    does poetry count as art? I mean, it does, I just meant in the context of this thread.

7FNzZwU.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Letters and symbols in sequence, written language itself, is an underrated art form.

I'm a designer so I adore lettering. All of this is lettering, by the way, except Braile and Shiekah which are Typography.

Typography is the artistic use or construction of consistent, reusable fonts.
    Lettering is creating individual, or collections of letter forms, unique to a particular piece.

I often have wild dreams of learning to hand letter and gold leaf and do amazing shit like this, but I feel like I'm too old to start learning and my hands shake too much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50A9b-d0nc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA1K1Q2-DfU

#pipe on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm currently reading a book about the evolving depictions of ghosts in British folklore, art, and literature, and it just introduced me to the artist Georgiana Houghton, who I had never heard of before and whose work I kind of love?

OrTd3Po.jpg

zAULndN.jpg

HJ0hSq5.jpg?1

So her whole deal is that she was involved with the spiritualist movement in the 1860s, and her watercolors were allegedly spirit paintings - she claimed to be influenced by the great masters of art in the production of them. She practiced automatic drawing (drawing with your eyes closed during a seance, as moved by the spirits in the room) as a component of these as well, and would do some automatic writing on the back for the description of what the piece was - stuff like Correggio talking about how this represents the Holy Trinity as he can now see them.

Anyways, she was doing all of this like half a century before abstract art became a thing, and honestly I dig her stuff more than I do a lot of other abstract art. Obviously the spiritualist angle of things is fairly suspect, but her art is legitimately very rad.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I fucking love this. Damn you!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    gettin some Cy Twombly Meets Uzumaki vibes from those spirit paintings

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh the book is The Ghost: A Cultural History by the way. I haven't finished it yet but I'll probably be talking it up somewhere around here soon. It's pretty heavy on the art history (the author is primarily an art historian), so I guess here might be the place.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I'm a designer so I adore lettering. All of this is lettering, by the way, except Braile and Shiekah which are Typography.

Typography is the artistic use or construction of consistent, reusable fonts.
    Lettering is creating individual, or collections of letter forms, unique to a particular piece.

I often have wild dreams of learning to hand letter and gold leaf and do amazing shit like this, but I feel like I'm too old to start learning and my hands shake too much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50A9b-d0nc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA1K1Q2-DfU

Nah, you could do that.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I hate art and want to punch it but I've always liked Gustav Klimt's The Kiss

mtgeba8djbkb.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    a flat screen doesn't really do klimt's work just

that shit is WILD

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Man, those are some pretty glass signs.
    Would be really expensive and labor intensive when compared with the usual vinyl applications of gold lettering on black. That acid itching was great too!
    (Vinyl can have trouble lasting in some conditions, but is cheap to replace and update)
    They look great, and you can tell from the masks they made and weeded, that they have vinyl cutters to do it the easier method.
    I was curious to see if they would show their technique to aligned their masks before applying. That's always a tricky point for long and thin applications.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Man, those are some pretty glass signs.
    Would be really expensive and labor intensive when compared with the usual vinyl applications of gold lettering on black. That acid itching was great too!
    (Vinyl can have trouble lasting in some conditions, but is cheap to replace and update)
    They look great, and you can tell from the masks they made and weeded, that they have vinyl cutters to do it the easier method.
    I was curious to see if they would show their technique to aligned their masks before applying. That's always a tricky point for long and thin applications.

Yeah the second video with the acid etching is definitely a modernized, hybrid style, using modern tech to make old fashioned style easier and cheaper. It's a great example of adapt or die but keep the style.

Folks absolutely do gold leafing on all hand painted signage, though. It's a very time/labour intensive way of doing things, but it creates a finished product that is hard to replicate any other way and for some folks that is worth the money. I was trying to find a video I watched a while ago of a dude hand painting and gilding mirrors but couldn't find it.

edit: AH FUCK HERE IT IS
    https://youtu.be/XdfreJmK9R4

#pipe on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I went to the Walters in Baltimore to check out their early art nouveau exhibit and I fell in love with this stained glass.

ouq894jkfjjy.jpg

Also, I'm reasonably sure that a lot of art nouveau furniture was a kind of a middle finger towards rich people with more money than sense

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I went to the Walters in Baltimore to check out their early art nouveau exhibit and I fell in love with this stained glass.

ouq894jkfjjy.jpg

Also, I'm reasonably sure that a lot of art nouveau furniture was a kind of a middle finger towards rich people with more money than sense

More like art nouveau riche. A-hawhawhaw

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    RIP Gahan Wilson who I admittedly wasn't all that familiar with until I realized he was the guy behind these two and I was instantly sad.

h9ytogi9do4t.jpg

7x2p8h2cz1vs.jpg

• Options
    He was also behind (or at least his name was attached to) a spectacularly weird haunted house video game that was very formative for me.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Looks kinda like the artist behind a super simple book of scary stories I had as a kid.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Looks kinda like the artist behind a super simple book of scary stories I had as a kid.

Spooky Stories for a Dark and Stormy Night, perhaps?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    My parents have a book of his cartoons, or at least a collection that featured his work pretty heavily. I used to obsess over his line work when I was a kid. I should try and steal that when I go back home over Thanksgiving.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Spooky Stories for a Dark and Stormy Night, perhaps?

That’s the one! Some delightful little shorts in there, like Big Toe!

Edit: also the art was appropriately macabre and melancholy without being gruesome.

sarukun on
  • Options
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i like hiroshige a lot.
    i have a hiroshige artbook i have been using as a mousepad for about a decade.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was tidying my room and found a printed photo of a statue of Actaeon.
    c405b6db7c5b7d36d1c27ecb16ce4f9b.jpg
    I had to google it to find out what it was as I have no memory of collecting it. Good statue tho.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    not enough good boys

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Actaeon was a hunter who pissed of Artemis and was transformed into a deer. So the deer are much better now that he's gone.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just hope the dogs never found out who they ate. They'd probably feel pretty bad.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I got an art book about the evolution of historic representations of the Devil for Christmas, which turned me on to this extremely good Franz von Stuck painting.

I've also previously been very into his Prometheus, which you might remember as something I used as an avatar here for a while.

Both of those paintings are of fully nude men, without any... specific detail, but linked just in case.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The Art Of Dark Souls Trilogy - How Miyazaki Revolutionized Game Art 15:25
    https://youtu.be/hXkbS8A-qo0

There is a burst of dark souls content everywhere recently for some reason

• Options