As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    TBH those shows were coasting on a lot of goodwill earned from the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. They kind of didn’t know where to go with it after that.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, like always it's just about money.

It's also that Disney wants all Disney properties on their own service, and not on Netflix.

They're letting the Hulu shows remain and keeping Agents of... on ABC, so there was probably some room to negotiate. Sounds like a case where neither side was willing to flex on their demands, so it was easier to walk away.

I suspect that didn't actually matter either way. It seems, at least from the analyses I've read, that they are probably looking to consolidate their production in that studio they purchased down in New Mexico. I suspect the fact that these shows were all shot and produced in NYC is actually the main reason.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The thing that gets me about Hulu is that you still get ads after you pay the premium fee to get rid of ads.

But I will keep using it, because Hulu Live is way cheaper than Comcast.

I haven't encountered this at all. Well I guess they have their shows that are in no way labeled that have them at the start, but I haven't run into that much at all. Is there more than this that my adblocker has been taking care of for me?

It's not every show, but the major network shows especially tend to have ads no matter what the service. There's a little disclaimer that pops up when they play telling you that they are exempt from the ad-free agreement that you are paying Hulu to uphold.

I thought this was limited to a handful of long-running shows that were grandfathered in. Obviously if those are the shows you’re getting Hulu for, that’s gonna suck. But it was my understanding that going forward all new shows had the ad-free rights. So it’s just a matter of attrition now.

Their site currently lists just six shows that are exempt, but I can’t vouch for the accuracy.

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/hulu-no-ads

mcdermott on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

It's also that Disney wants all Disney properties on their own service, and not on Netflix.

They're letting the Hulu shows remain and keeping Agents of... on ABC, so there was probably some room to negotiate. Sounds like a case where neither side was willing to flex on their demands, so it was easier to walk away.

Disney owns both those, though. So there's probably a lot of merit to them consolidating.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't think the MA bit is a problem, given the success of Marvel's R-rated films.

I do kind of wonder if the rating of streaming shows has a significant impact on viewership in the same way that an R rating on a movie does. Would a hypothetical 14-rated Marvel show grab more viewers than an MA one?

That said, I never watched Iron Fist, but I think the other shows wouldn't lose much from dropping the MA rating. Jessica Jones S1, Punisher, and Daredevil S1 took advantage of the MA, but the rest didn't explore any stories or themes that couldn't have worked without it. "Thoughtful and mature" doesn't require "graphic" in most cases.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Well, Disney owns ABC and after purchasing Fox they have a substantial stake in Hulu so...

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of The Umbrella Academy.

I really liked it, but I can see how it could be difficult to design issues these folks couldn't solve pretty instantly with their abilities.

• Options
    Yeah, some of them just don't use their power outright because it would end that plotline on the spot.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    No amount of power will ever overcome the heroes withholding vital information from each other. The power to talk to each other is the greatest of all.

• Options
    Also, I give myself a pat on the back for Umbrella Academy episode 5:
    Nice Guy Wood Worker just got worse as expected, but at least she got her power out of it. Hopefully she realizes it and it's something to kind of balance out this fucker.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I was on sick leave and ended up watching the whole Umbrella Academy. I probably wouldn't have finished it at all, but what else I gonna do?
    Everyone was way too unlikable.

all episodes.
    I mean they're all dysfunctional, but JESUS seven.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I don't think the MA bit is a problem, given the success of Marvel's R-rated films.

I do kind of wonder if the rating of streaming shows has a significant impact on viewership in the same way that an R rating on a movie does. Would a hypothetical 14-rated Marvel show grab more viewers than an MA one?

That said, I never watched Iron Fist, but I think the other shows wouldn't lose much from dropping the MA rating. Jessica Jones S1, Punisher, and Daredevil S1 took advantage of the MA, but the rest didn't explore any stories or themes that couldn't have worked without it. "Thoughtful and mature" doesn't require "graphic" in most cases.

If you're referring to Logan and Deadpool, those aren't under the Disney umbrella. They were made by Fox. I don't think Disney-Marvel has made an R rated movie yet.

I think every Netflix Marvel show could have dropped the MA and still been fine except Punisher.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Logan and Deadpool weren't Disney, but they were still Marvel films that were incredibly well received and made good money. Which was my point - there's a proven market for adult treatments of comic book properties.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Letterkenny is a great show, it's about life in a small Canadian town from the POV of two country boys and it's like a mix of dry british humor from Inbetweeners, Chris Lilly's Australian comedies, Workaholics and Always Sunny crudeness. It's the best thing Canada made since The Red Green Show (I've always been ambivalent with Trailer Park Boys and don't feel inclined one way or the other).

It's on Hulu but fuck them you can find it online (it's not even on Netflix Canada what the fuck eh?)

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Letterkenny is a great show, it's about life in a small Canadian town from the POV of two country boys and it's like a mix of dry british humor from Inbetweeners, Chris Lilly's Australian comedies, Workaholics and Always Sunny crudeness. It's the best thing Canada made since The Red Green Show (I've always been ambivalent with Trailer Park Boys and don't feel inclined one way or the other).

It's on Hulu but fuck them you can find it online (it's not even on Netflix Canada what the fuck eh?)

Crave stole it off Netflix Canada.

That show nails that area too well. I lived out there for a bit and it was a terrible time, so no real fault of the area just that time in my life.

So I sadly can't watch it because reminds me too much of that time because they nail it so well

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Corner Gas is really good too.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular

Yeah, my friend showed me the intro to the first episode a couple weeks ago and then I binged all 6 seasons of it the following week. It was a really great show that I'd never even heard of, and wasn't something that would normally appeal to me based just on the description, but I couldn't put it down once I started.

Also, I love Shoresy, probably mostly just because it's Wayne's actor doing a voice, which is why they never show his face.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Because you watched The West Wing, try Avengers Infinity War

Huh.

I am now genuinely saddened the West Wing is not on Netflix. I enjoyed that show.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Finished Umbrella Academy, overall a resounding "meh"

Spoilers for the entire series:
    It probably was wasted on my because I read the source material and one of the main draws of that for me is Gabriel Ba's art, which the series could not really capture. Also toning down the weirdness and stretching out the drama killed all pacing. A condition we call Netflixis.

I did like the changes to Klaus and the actor they have for 5 is pretty damn good. Also as said before, I did like the music.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Finished Umbrella Academy, overall a resounding "meh"

Spoilers for the entire series:
    It probably was wasted on my because I read the source material and one of the main draws of that for me is Gabriel Ba's art, which the series could not really capture. Also toning down the weirdness and stretching out the drama killed all pacing. A condition we call Netflixis.

I did like the changes to Klaus and the actor they have for 5 is pretty damn good. Also as said before, I did like the music.

You hit on something that's been stopping me from watching it, Ba's art being so fluid and key to the comic. I've got good memories of the comic and hearing about the usual Netflix bloat I'm just not interested in watching the show, I thought I saw something out there compare UA in trying to be a more adult Lemony Snickers but the pacing never hits that quality.

• Options
    Ken Jeong's Netflix special is alright. I think I'm giving it more credit than it deserves because he lucked into one of the best stand-up special crowds I've heard in a while (The Ice House is a comedy club that's more restaurant than club with good acoustics too), and it's not shitty Doug Benson crowdwork. Jeong's material seems to just be all movie set stories, did you know I was a doctor before being an actor, and he runs the whole "my wife's last name is Ho so I can use Ho all the time lolz" into the ground, but he's got good presence and is clearly having fun and doesn't let these big lulls happen in the set like with some other Netflix stand ups. It's a prime example of a good work ethic and charisma making up for average material, but he does have a solid joke about his Google Image Default Face because it's 100% accurate.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Anyone watching the passage? I caught up with it on hulu, and I'm not sure how I feel. I watched all 6 episodes, and some things are interesting, but I can't help but feel it's been a bad show so far. It has just enough hooks and I'm bored enough to keep watching, but curious of other people's thoughts

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    Anyone watching the passage? I caught up with it on hulu, and I'm not sure how I feel. I watched all 6 episodes, and some things are interesting, but I can't help but feel it's been a bad show so far. It has just enough hooks and I'm bored enough to keep watching, but curious of other people's thoughts

I still need to see this weeks episode, but I've enjoyed it so far. It's not the best show out there, but there are far worse shows out there you could be wasting your time with.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Umbrella Academy episode 7:
    I sure hope it's not Vanya finding out about Peabody or something else and going nuclear that is the apocalypse. It take a massive power up for her to do that to entire planet, I suppose, but since we have almost no other candidate at this point other than the time assassins doing something with a LOT of briefcases perhaps...

And if wood worker set those guys up to beat him up that bad that's some dedication to...whatever his plan is. Or it's a happy coincidence, but what are the chances of that.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I haven't watched it, but I've been mildly curious about it. I first saw a trailer for it at a movie theater and I didn't think it looked very good, but then I read a description of the book it's based on and was intrigued. I read the book and liked it a lot and am currently reading the second one titled The Twelve.

I don't want to spoil anything, but everything they showed in the trailer for the show looked like it only covers the first third of the book. I've read that they cut out some characters and changed the whole reason for Project Noah (if it's even called that in the show), but that's not atypical for book-to-screen conversions.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I haven't watched it, but I've been mildly curious about it. I first saw a trailer for it at a movie theater and I didn't think it looked very good, but then I read a description of the book it's based on and was intrigued. I read the book and liked it a lot and am currently reading the second one titled The Twelve.

I don't want to spoil anything, but everything they showed in the trailer for the show looked like it only covers the first third of the book. I've read that they cut out some characters and changed the whole reason for Project Noah (if it's even called that in the show), but that's not atypical for book-to-screen conversions.

Yeah, I read the wiki on this series cause I didn't even know it existed till last night and I was like "Wait, did they make an entire show around the prologue of the first book? Seriously?"

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The books really aren't very good IMO. The first one was mildly interesting but it quickly devolved into a ton of bullshit.

In other news we watched Polar last night and that was a pretty shitty movie with Mads and Hudgens trying to make their best of it. Also fuck the movie for the stupid fucking scene where he buys a dog and accidentally shoots it 2 minutes later. That was pointlessly emotionally manipulative and it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Haunting of Hill House confirmed as an anthology
    It does, however, provide a hint in the form of ominous whispers that include the line “empty with a great emptiness.” As /Film noted, that’s a line from Henry James’ The Turn Of The Screw, and Netflix has also spoiled the surprised by announcing that the season will be called The Haunting Of Bly Manor—which happens to be the name of the haunted house in James’ horror story. So… yeah. That’s definitely what the season will be based on, though if Hill House is any indication, it’ll be a pretty loose adaptation.

https://news.avclub.com/the-haunting-of-hill-house-is-taking-on-the-turn-of-the-1832794328?utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Netflix Dragon Prince Season 2 is starting off pretty good!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

First few minutes spoilers i guess
    I was not expecting Amaya to straight up kick a couple of elves into the lava. They are definitely no longer alive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Ken Jeong's Netflix special is alright. I think I'm giving it more credit than it deserves because he lucked into one of the best stand-up special crowds I've heard in a while (The Ice House is a comedy club that's more restaurant than club with good acoustics too), and it's not shitty Doug Benson crowdwork. Jeong's material seems to just be all movie set stories, did you know I was a doctor before being an actor, and he runs the whole "my wife's last name is Ho so I can use Ho all the time lolz" into the ground, but he's got good presence and is clearly having fun and doesn't let these big lulls happen in the set like with some other Netflix stand ups. It's a prime example of a good work ethic and charisma making up for average material, but he does have a solid joke about his Google Image Default Face because it's 100% accurate.

I dunno man, I had to turn it off halfway through. I just didn't think he was funny at all, and found his stage presence annoying. And I usually have decent tolerance for bad standup.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    It does, however, provide a hint in the form of ominous whispers that include the line “empty with a great emptiness.” As /Film noted, that’s a line from Henry James’ The Turn Of The Screw, and Netflix has also spoiled the surprised by announcing that the season will be called The Haunting Of Bly Manor—which happens to be the name of the haunted house in James’ horror story. So… yeah. That’s definitely what the season will be based on, though if Hill House is any indication, it’ll be a pretty loose adaptation.

https://news.avclub.com/the-haunting-of-hill-house-is-taking-on-the-turn-of-the-1832794328?utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF

Oh boy, I just can’t wait for them to take another classic novel of psychological horror in which the supernatural is ambiguous and unseen and just slather it head to toe in ghosts

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I was not expecting Amaya to straight up kick a couple of elves into the lava. They are definitely no longer alive.

I just finished episode 6.
    They're uh not pulling any punches around here. Just death and feels all over the place.
    Also, Viren is a manipulative asshole. Holy mercy.
    The young queen is a total badass, though.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »

Oh boy, I just can’t wait for them to take another classic novel of psychological horror in which the supernatural is ambiguous and unseen and just slather it head to toe in ghosts

I fuckin love ghosts. Anyway, Haunting was a thoughtful show about childhood familial trauma and the ghosts could have been alcoholism or anything else.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I fuckin love ghosts. Anyway, Haunting was a thoughtful show about childhood familial trauma and the ghosts could have been alcoholism or anything else.

I mostly liked the show

I just wish they would, you know, make up their own haunted house stories instead of “loosely” adapting all the classic ones

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

I mostly liked the show

I just wish they would, you know, make up their own haunted house stories instead of “loosely” adapting all the classic ones

I'm generally inclined to agree with one excepting point. When its just some bland cookie cutter movie cribbing some basic ideas from the source material but offering nothing interesting then yeah, gross. I don't mind using classics as a basis for a different worthwhile idea.

The Haunting vs. The Haunting of Hill House

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I didn't make it through 10 minutes of Umbrella Academy. I don't think I have the tribal membership required for Graphic Novels and/or maybe Anime? I don't know. It seemed really meh right away (I'm chalking this up to a me problem, not a content problem).

Netflix seems to have purchased a huge raft of Latin content that is dubbed to English and automatically set to be so, like Yucatan. It's an interesting attempt at getting people to watch stuff they might automatically dismiss, but I still have a hard time with the age old dubs v subs conflict. I don't mind a grown man in a bee suit - just subtitle it so I can hear the actor's intent in Spanish. I can't believe I'm complaining about this! =)

Wanderlust was technically adept with excellent performances but jesus if I have to watch another 6-10 hour season of white people who just want to fuck, I'm gonna puke. #firstworldproblems.

Wow, I'm normally pretty pro-TV, but I guess I've not been super impressed with recent releases!

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

I just finished episode 6.
    They're uh not pulling any punches around here. Just death and feels all over the place.
    Also, Viren is a manipulative asshole. Holy mercy.
    The young queen is a total badass, though.
    There is a point where they make coy about “you know whating” some guy and I thought they were gonna skirt around saying Death or Dead.

A few episodes later guards are being turned into gat damn ash or glass with zero remorse.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Dragon Prince S2 full season:
    I detect a hugely tragic arc incoming for Claudia. She's about to become a big dark magic evangelist after healing her brother, and when Callum turns her down flat after his air arcanum epiphany, she will not react well.

For bonus tragedy points, it's likely that her brother's healing spell won't last, and she will find herself forced to cross a line to keep him (literally) on his feet: if killing another deer won't work, she may resort to using a human life to power the next spell...

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Logan and Deadpool weren't Disney, but they were still Marvel films that were incredibly well received and made good money. Which was my point - there's a proven market for adult treatments of comic book properties.

I've made this point elsewhere (maybe not this forum), but I do think the key issue is that Marvel's been very hesitant to make an MCU main-storyline film rated R, since there's kind of a feeling that those are required viewing to follow the overarching storyline. So I do think that in the same way they were able to treat the Netflix stuff as 'MCU, kind of' once the streaming service kicks off they'll be able to do R stuff there without having to worry about younger people (or just ones that don't want to see a harder MCU film) feeling like they need to see all the films. Of course, the side effect of that is that you get the Netflix/AoS issue where they don't really impact the main films at all.

This discussion has been closed.