As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Have any of you read the comic book?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I think I will have to make a thread for the Dragon Prince.

That this is back is why I haven't started Umbrella Academy yet.

If youre going to watch both then watch Dragon Prince second. If you watch it first youre going to be super disappointed by the quality of UA

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I just finished watching Umbrella Academy. It's good, it's sometimes really good!

https://youtu.be/0DAmWHxeoKw

But sometimes it's bad, and then it is really bad. Rarely we can find a series that is so uneven, which is a shame, because good parts of it are a reason enough to watch this series anyway... but are dimnished by various plot holes, inconsistencies and extremely questionable choices made by it's creators.

Is anyone going to create a thread for it? Im not sure if I should write my spoilers here.

Is it bad in ways that are stupid and dumb, or bad because it’s an unrealistic superhero show?

Being unrealistic superhero show was something I watched it for, so it is not the issue. It's quirkiness, black humour and balancing seriousness and comedy are actually good here.

But there is a lot of filler, plot points that are not really needed / don't really make sense when you think about them, and generally there is a lot of wasted potential.

On the other hand, I definitely enjoyed the characters and their relations with each other.

Sounds like basic Netflix bloat? I can deal with that.

I'm not through it yet but I haven't noted any particular bloat. Certainly nothing on par with the Marvel shows.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I just finished watching Umbrella Academy. It's good, it's sometimes really good!

https://youtu.be/0DAmWHxeoKw

But sometimes it's bad, and then it is really bad. Rarely we can find a series that is so uneven, which is a shame, because good parts of it are a reason enough to watch this series anyway... but are dimnished by various plot holes, inconsistencies and extremely questionable choices made by it's creators.

Is anyone going to create a thread for it? Im not sure if I should write my spoilers here.

Is it bad in ways that are stupid and dumb, or bad because it’s an unrealistic superhero show?

Being unrealistic superhero show was something I watched it for, so it is not the issue. It's quirkiness, black humour and balancing seriousness and comedy are actually good here.

But there is a lot of filler, plot points that are not really needed / don't really make sense when you think about them, and generally there is a lot of wasted potential.

On the other hand, I definitely enjoyed the characters and their relations with each other.

Sounds like basic Netflix bloat? I can deal with that.

I'm not through it yet but I haven't noted any particular bloat. Certainly nothing on par with the Marvel shows.

Action sadly gets slower in a second half of the season, as it often is in Netflix shows.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The music has been fantastic in Umbrella Academy. Nothing will get me to love a show or movie like the liberal application of soundtrack.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Holy Christ, Crazy Ex Girlfriend is a fantastic show.

I'm so glad this popped into my Netflix recommendations, and I can't believe I'd never seen it before.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I really liked Umbrella Academy, music was great, characters were enjoyable, and it didnt go through and explain every little thing in a characters backstory. There were some stupid plot choices given some of the characters powers, but overall it was very watchable (it just came out and I've already finished it, its good).

2019 is starting off pretty strong for Netflix, Russian Doll, Umbrella Academy, and the Fyre docu were all good. Bundy docu was good too and fortunately didnt go super into detail about what he did to his victims; given previous mentions of how this can trigger some people rest of my Bundy thoughts are spoilered:
    It didnt really have to get super into detail as it was pretty good at generating fear by just going through the rate at which women were going missing. It starts by giving you time periods of other famous killers active in the 70s and its crazy to think that there were so many serial killers operating at the same time all while Ted Bundy is murdering ~30 women across 6 states. The sheer scale of it is crazy.

It also gave me some insight into why some people think the US is in the midst of a massive crime wave because for like 25 years we were (rise of the serial killers in the 70s/80s, gang violence in 80s/90s) despite the fact that crime rates have been dropping for about that same amount of time and we're in like the safest time period in American history.

Also, the Bundy docu got me watching Jimmy Carr's show The Fix which was pretty good too and only partially because Jimmy Carr has the best laugh in comedy.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    God Hulu is the fucking worst. Girlfriend and I started watching Attack on Titan, and in the span of a couple days it has vanished from both Crunchyroll (season 1 at least) and Netflix, leaving Hulu as our only streaming option.

I don't get how Hulu gets away with charging you a subscription fee and simultaneously shows you LONGER AND LONGER AD BREAKS EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET AN AD BREAK while you're watching. If it was my Hulu account and not hers I'd have canceled on principle.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    God Hulu is the fucking worst. Girlfriend and I started watching Attack on Titan, and in the span of a couple days it has vanished from both Crunchyroll (season 1 at least) and Netflix, leaving Hulu as our only streaming option.

I don't get how Hulu gets away with charging you a subscription fee and simultaneously shows you LONGER AND LONGER AD BREAKS EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET AN AD BREAK while you're watching. If it was my Hulu account and not hers I'd have canceled on principle.

My wife and I recently moved and have been without our TV and PS3 for a while, so we made do with my desktop PC as our streaming device. To my surprise, the adblocker I have installed cut right through all those ads. It was nice, but I know it won’t last.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I think I will have to make a thread for the Dragon Prince.

Glad I checked this thread, despite watching the first season, the show didn’t auto populate on my “continue watching” when the second season posted like shows normally do.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Watching umbrella academy and so far it’s pretty good.

There’s one thing that keeps bugging me though. I’m about 4 episodes in and there’s a plot twist that I just know (without having seen spoilers) is going to happen, and I’m getting impatient because I just want them to get on with the reveal so we can progress the plot.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

There’s one thing that keeps bugging me though. I’m about 4 episodes in and there’s a plot twist that I just know (without having seen spoilers) is going to happen, and I’m getting impatient because I just want them to get on with the reveal so we can progress the plot.

This is a netflix show. They aren't gonna do that.

They somehow re-invented filler in a medium where you can choose how many episodes you make.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

My wife and I recently moved and have been without our TV and PS3 for a while, so we made do with my desktop PC as our streaming device. To my surprise, the adblocker I have installed cut right through all those ads. It was nice, but I know it won’t last.

uBlock Origins works almost every time and it has for a while. I'm less worried about Hulu finally blocking it and more worried it will stop working on future Chrome builds.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

PM me or use spoiler tags or something, I am curious, what is it you think is going to happen?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

PM me or use spoiler tags or something, I am curious, what is it you think is going to happen?
    I don’t know what it will mean for the overall plot, but I don’t believe for a second that #7 has no powers. She’s probably somehow the strongest one out of all of them, but for whatever reason her powers have remained dormant or have been actively suppressed.

So, I basically watch the show while I wait for her to get put in some scenario that will force her powers to manifest.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Hulu is/was run by the previous vanguard of cable TV. They think you should have to pay a subscription and watch ads like cable.

They only get away with it because people sign up for it and keep using the service.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Hulu is/was run by the previous vanguard of cable TV. They think you should have to pay a subscription and watch ads like cable.

They only get away with it because people sign up for it and keep using the service.

Seriously. If you don't like the model, you need to stop supporting it. When Hulu went sub only, I deleted my account outright.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The thing that gets me about Hulu is that you still get ads after you pay the premium fee to get rid of ads.

But I will keep using it, because Hulu Live is way cheaper than Comcast.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The thing that gets me about Hulu is that you still get ads after you pay the premium fee to get rid of ads.

I haven't encountered this at all. Well I guess they have their shows that are in no way labeled that have them at the start, but I haven't run into that much at all. Is there more than this that my adblocker has been taking care of for me?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I haven't encountered this at all. Well I guess they have their shows that are in no way labeled that have them at the start, but I haven't run into that much at all. Is there more than this that my adblocker has been taking care of for me?

It's not every show, but the major network shows especially tend to have ads no matter what the service. There's a little disclaimer that pops up when they play telling you that they are exempt from the ad-free agreement that you are paying Hulu to uphold.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Started Umbrella Academy with the girlfriend. I really like it, I love that the numbers were introduced with Ellen Page playing a Phantom of the Opera compilation on Violin. I was in from that moment on. Seems like a cool story so far, I'm excited to continue.

Plus CGI monkey looks surprisingly good for a TV show. Wtf.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm happy with Umbrella Academy. The only gripes I'd have are minor like
    Diego getting shot. This is a vigilante, he knows how to react to not die but he just stands there, then his arm is in a sling for a bunch of episodes but it's never made issue of and has no impact on the story, so it seems like a weird decision they made that was maybe gonna matter more later and they just decided to drop it.

Also it's weird how they seem vastly more powerful as kids than adults. Luther's strength seems to be barely superhuman, Hazel manages to beat him and he isn't superhuman, freakish maybe but not superhuman.

Also they somehow found a kid actor to play a cocky, arrogant brat who was actually enjoyable to watch and didn't make me hate the kid. That boy has a future.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Seriously, that kid is crazy talented. I was extremely skeptical of him when he first showed up but he absolutely steals the show and had me completely believing he was a snippy worldweary old man stuck in a kid's body. I was so sure that he was like, a grown-up actor with some kind of hormonal imbalance.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    First 3 episodes of Umbrella Academy and the kid:
    He even does a good job with 'Dolores' and they set that up well. Time travel screws with your mind, just not about the end of the world.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I liked Umbrella Academy from beginning to end and I’m on board for season 2.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    First 3 episodes of Umbrella Academy and the kid:
    He even does a good job with 'Dolores' and they set that up well. Time travel screws with your mind, just not about the end of the world.
    It works because the kid plays it with a mix of seriousness and self-awareness but no camp.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I think Oscar from Corner Gas is on Umbrella Academy.

• Options
    I'm happy with Umbrella Academy. The only gripes I'd have are minor like
    Diego getting shot. This is a vigilante, he knows how to react to not die but he just stands there, then his arm is in a sling for a bunch of episodes but it's never made issue of and has no impact on the story, so it seems like a weird decision they made that was maybe gonna matter more later and they just decided to drop it.

Also it's weird how they seem vastly more powerful as kids than adults. Luther's strength seems to be barely superhuman, Hazel manages to beat him and he isn't superhuman, freakish maybe but not superhuman.

Also they somehow found a kid actor to play a cocky, arrogant brat who was actually enjoyable to watch and didn't make me hate the kid. That boy has a future.

Diego is Worf

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Have any of you read the comic book?

I have:

Umbrella Academy, first 4 episodes including spoilers
    So far it's a combination of the first two mini-series with those storylines mixed up into one narrative. Pacing is a lot slower (including playing some developments as surprise reveals or plot twists, while in the original these were minor things glossed over or were already revealed from the first issue) and a lot of things have been adapted to fit into a TV budget (First mission of the kids in the comics: fighting the Eiffel Tower that has gone insane and is attacking Paris. First mission in this: foiling a bank robbery.), making the world a lot more grounded.

Characters are more developed though and the music really makes the series (surprisingly no My Chemical Romance so far that I've noticed). [/spoilers]

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Bah to episode 4 of Umbrella Academy:
    She KNEW there were two of them, didn't wait for backup, didn't get the hell out with Klaus, was practicing trigger discipline in a firefight, and they were on the second floor even if Ms. Bad Lady could get out that window so that was awful fast.

And of course Mr. Nice Guy is creepy. Didn't see that coming!

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular

I had a Hulu with ads sub for a little while to watch the first season of The Handmaiden's Tale and the first season of Utapri (It's goofy otome- idol anime). For Handmaiden, the ads were fine, not too long, seemed normally placed within the show itself. For Utapri though, hoooo boy, It was so annoying. Ad breaks at the start and then every five minutes or so for a 23 minute show.

Canceled my sub not long after that frustration.

sig.gif
  • Options
    More Umbrella Academy ep 4:
    It's pretty much irredeemable, but to at least give it a swerve make it that wood worker thinks he's helping and this his one bad idea. Like he thinks she doesn't need them and it turns out they're suppressing her power. This being his go to move after 2 days means he's not all there, though. Bad enough if he tried it ever much less right off.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

It's not every show, but the major network shows especially tend to have ads no matter what the service. There's a little disclaimer that pops up when they play telling you that they are exempt from the ad-free agreement that you are paying Hulu to uphold.

Do you want people to pirate your shows? Because this is how you get people to pirate them.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/zmECq3LcDv4

I watched episode 1 of this and it's the hardest I've laughed in months.

The Kate's might be my favorite comedians.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The nail in the coffin for all the Marvel Netflix shows was today:
    “Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix,” Netflix confirmed today to Deadline. “Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come,” the streamer added.

“In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” Netflix also made official this President’s Day. “We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others”.

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

The quality was up and down but I enjoyed all the seasons. I don't think we'll see a MA version of any Marvel show ever again.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    For me, this is just where I start the clock to seeing how long till they reappear, many of those actors (with the help of the producers, directors, and writers) had performances that left an impression that will be tough for others to follow. Like, its almost hard to remember other actors played Daredevil and Kingpin before, there will always be those of us who hope we get to see Vincent D'Onofrio reprise the role for an appearance in a Spiderman show, in much the same way Mark Hamill's voice acting or Heath Ledger left their mark on the Joker character. The Netflix Marvel characters are proven draws at this point to varying degrees of success, I don't see how they wouldn't want to try to make money with them again.

I'll still pour one out for what could have been for a Heroes For Hire series. RIP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    The nail in the coffin for all the Marvel Netflix shows was today:
    “Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix,” Netflix confirmed today to Deadline. “Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come,” the streamer added.

“In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” Netflix also made official this President’s Day. “We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others”.

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

The quality was up and down but I enjoyed all the seasons. I don't think we'll see a MA version of any Marvel show ever again.

I suspect it has little to do with the MA rating and more with Netflix's ongoing consolidation of production and what seems like some sort of restructuring as they try and figure out wtf their future is gonna look like.

• Options
    Yeah, like always it's just about money.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's also that Disney wants all Disney properties on their own service, and not on Netflix.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

It's also that Disney wants all Disney properties on their own service, and not on Netflix.

They're letting the Hulu shows remain and keeping Agents of... on ABC, so there was probably some room to negotiate. Sounds like a case where neither side was willing to flex on their demands, so it was easier to walk away.

This discussion has been closed.