• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't think the movie division ever had any intention of making it a two-way street. The TV shows acknowledge the movies but the movies are the flagship and they only do what they want to do.

It made total sense for Agents of SHIELD to want to get as much of that selling power as they could from the movies, but after Cap 2 they were cut off from the ongoing plot by virtue of, well, SHIELD being blown up, and also Agents of SHIELD's declining ratings made guest starring on it the sort of thing the movie stars likely couldn't be bothered with. Also logistically it must have been a nightmare. After the first season's terrific payoff of SHIELD/Hydra every bit of crossover was cursory or incidental. And honestly the later seasons of the show were better for hiving themselves off.

The Netflix stuff was always, I thought, supposed to be its own thing. Street level heroes that would have great crossover with each other but little to none with the other elements of the MCU. Tonally they were consistent with each other, not the movies.

The Netflix stuff made sense there too because (for various reasons including budgetary) they went with a very low-level, low-stakes approach which makes it actually fairly easy to avoid the necessity of any sort of cross-pollination with the films. Nobody in the films would now or even give a shit about anything that is going on in the Netflix shows and none of the characters involved in the Netflix shows is gonna be rolling with the Avengers.

They feel separate because there are things going on that heavily impact the world of the MCU, but which are never mentioned. There are a good dozen films which had profound, earth shattering events that people would at least sometimes mention in passing, but which just aren't.

Which is fine and all, but it just basically takes place in an alternate universe where the MCU films never happened, aside from the first Avengers.

I'm not sure there's been much of anything that went on in the MCU that would be all that relevant to the Netflix shows after the first Avengers movie. (up until Avengers 3 obviously)

Not directly relevant, but still things that happen that people would talk about. Think about how things like the Berlin wall falling, or Nixon, or Vietnam, or Trump, or the Challenger explosion, or Forrest Gump, or a thousand other things don't directly affect anyone, but are part of our collective consciousness and get referenced in every day conversation. Or how people occasionally talk about current events, what wars are going on, current political happenings.

In the MCU, there has been an explosion of aliens, superheroes, and wizards. The MCU equivalent of the NSA was found to be a front for secret Nazis. An entire city in Africa was lifted out of the ground, sent halfway to space, and almost blew up the world. The world governments made it illegal to be a superhero without registering.

These sorts of things would come up in conversation occasionally, at least in passing. But they don't.

wait, are you talking about sokovia, the city in eastern europe?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't think the movie division ever had any intention of making it a two-way street. The TV shows acknowledge the movies but the movies are the flagship and they only do what they want to do.

It made total sense for Agents of SHIELD to want to get as much of that selling power as they could from the movies, but after Cap 2 they were cut off from the ongoing plot by virtue of, well, SHIELD being blown up, and also Agents of SHIELD's declining ratings made guest starring on it the sort of thing the movie stars likely couldn't be bothered with. Also logistically it must have been a nightmare. After the first season's terrific payoff of SHIELD/Hydra every bit of crossover was cursory or incidental. And honestly the later seasons of the show were better for hiving themselves off.

The Netflix stuff was always, I thought, supposed to be its own thing. Street level heroes that would have great crossover with each other but little to none with the other elements of the MCU. Tonally they were consistent with each other, not the movies.

The Netflix stuff made sense there too because (for various reasons including budgetary) they went with a very low-level, low-stakes approach which makes it actually fairly easy to avoid the necessity of any sort of cross-pollination with the films. Nobody in the films would now or even give a shit about anything that is going on in the Netflix shows and none of the characters involved in the Netflix shows is gonna be rolling with the Avengers.

They feel separate because there are things going on that heavily impact the world of the MCU, but which are never mentioned. There are a good dozen films which had profound, earth shattering events that people would at least sometimes mention in passing, but which just aren't.

Which is fine and all, but it just basically takes place in an alternate universe where the MCU films never happened, aside from the first Avengers.

I'm not sure there's been much of anything that went on in the MCU that would be all that relevant to the Netflix shows after the first Avengers movie. (up until Avengers 3 obviously)

Not directly relevant, but still things that happen that people would talk about. Think about how things like the Berlin wall falling, or Nixon, or Vietnam, or Trump, or the Challenger explosion, or Forrest Gump, or a thousand other things don't directly affect anyone, but are part of our collective consciousness and get referenced in every day conversation. Or how people occasionally talk about current events, what wars are going on, current political happenings.

In the MCU, there has been an explosion of aliens, superheroes, and wizards. The MCU equivalent of the NSA was found to be a front for secret Nazis. An entire city in Africa was lifted out of the ground, sent halfway to space, and almost blew up the world. The world governments made it illegal to be a superhero without registering.

These sorts of things would come up in conversation occasionally, at least in passing. But they don't.

I mean, I guess. But they would ultimately just be throw away references. Which I think would be better but it wouldn't like fundamentally alter anything going on in the Netflix shows.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the Seven Deadly Sins, it's not great but it's ok. However, while I'm not prudish at all and love cheesecake as much as anyone, the second season seems even more problematic than the first regarding Melonidas' actions towards Elizabeth. He's just flat out openly groping or group groping her in front of others when she's not comfortable with it.

Yeah, I didn't watch far into season 2 for just this reason. I really enjoyed the first season, had some real The Slayers vibes going on. But no thanks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod

I mean, I guess. But they would ultimately just be throw away references. Which I think would be better but it wouldn't like fundamentally alter anything going on in the Netflix shows.

Yeah, I don't think it makes the experience tangibly worse, it just feels separate.

(Also, yeah, I was thinking of Wakanda when I said it was in Africa.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    In non Marvel news, I finally caught the first episode of Kingdom and it was pretty fantastic. Can't wait to watch more.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The lack of Van Halen in season 2 of Stranger Things is really throwing off an idea I had for an art project.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The lack of Van Halen in season 2 of Stranger Things is really throwing off an idea I had for an art project.

Just replace one of the kids with Sammy Hagar.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Guys, halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad a I am beginning to think Walter White isn't on the up and up.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Guys, halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad a I am beginning to think Walter White isn't on the up and up.

The most disturbing thing about that show is the number of viewers who viewed him as a hero.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I enjoy the Seven Deadly Sins, it's not great but it's ok. However, while I'm not prudish at all and love cheesecake as much as anyone, the second season seems even more problematic than the first regarding Melonidas' actions towards Elizabeth. He's just flat out openly groping or group groping her in front of others when she's not comfortable with it.

I could recommend the show as a casual watch if they knocked that the fuck out. It can be a pretty fun show when they knock it the fuck out

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

The most disturbing thing about that show is the number of viewers who viewed him as a hero.

Like he's Willy fucking Lowman with an entrepreneurial bent. By the end of season two it's pretty inarguable that he's a monster.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Walter (vague Breaking Bad spoilers)
    should have got out instead of...everything else. That goes for like a number of characters too. Up until those points you could be on their side to some degree. Everyone digs themselves deeper instead just about.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sometimes people find it hard to get past protagonist-centered morality. Seeing the story from Walt’s perspective almost enforces that for those people. If the show had centered around Hank people would have fucking hated Walter White when it was revealed that he was the big bad.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Now I kind of wonder what that show looks like.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I finished the Umbrella Academy.

It felt pretty slow and unfocused.

I want to like it, but Season 2 really needs to pick up the pace.

I enjoyed it, but honestly, the main characters are irritating in how often simply making a phone call would solve issues. I did love
    Hazel and Cha Cha's portrayal, even if it's never really clarified exactly how dangerous they are.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Antoshka wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    I finished the Umbrella Academy.

It felt pretty slow and unfocused.

I want to like it, but Season 2 really needs to pick up the pace.

I enjoyed it, but honestly, the main characters are irritating in how often simply making a phone call would solve issues. I did love
    Hazel and Cha Cha's portrayal, even if it's never really clarified exactly how dangerous they are.

Yeah I never really fully understood what Hazel and Cha Cha's deal is.
    I mean do they have super powers? I guess they must, since Hazel was basically able to go toe-to-toe with Lucas but it's really kinda ambiguous.

On an unrelated note: Does Amazon Prime Video not have subtitled foreign movies?

Every time I crank up something in another language I have to enable the subtitles under options, where they're overlaid like closed captions and don't bother translating things like signs or letters presented on-screen. It's very annoying.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sometimes people find it hard to get past protagonist-centered morality. Seeing the story from Walt’s perspective almost enforces that for those people. If the show had centered around Hank people would have fucking hated Walter White when it was revealed that he was the big bad.

Part of it is also that everyone they pit him against aside from Hank has the outward appearance of being much more monstrous than he is, that Walter doesn't look to bad by comparison. So you've got poor bullied Walter over here against some murderous gangster or whatever, it all but flat tells the audience to root for Walter.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We finished Umbrella Academy. It was enjoyable but I agree, the constant withholding of vital information for characters is incredibly dumb. We don't even learn about Ben. He's just gone from episode 1 and we're supposed to accept that for the entire season.

Umbrella Academy end spoilers
    "I liked you better before you got laid!"
    Then Allison gets made that Luther didn't sleep with his freaking sister first what a gross plot line wtf.

Time travel and all caused a ton of plot holes. I dunno. I guess S2 could fix a ton of weird writing.

How did the dad know about the apocalypse? Let alone that Vanya would cause it? Ugh. Why not just include her originally so she doesn't go psycho and murder everyone?

So many weird things for the sake of being dysfunctional without a strong motive. I dunno.

Klaus MVP.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hazel and Cha-Cha
    I figured they were augmented somehow. Given that the Commission was able to make time machines, they were probably able to go backward and forward to get the tech they needed. The comics version of the Commission had an incredible level of medical technology, including genetic modification.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Part of it is also that everyone they pit him against aside from Hank has the outward appearance of being much more monstrous than he is, that Walter doesn't look to bad by comparison. So you've got poor bullied Walter over here against some murderous gangster or whatever, it all but flat tells the audience to root for Walter.

I think it makes it very clear that Walter is hurting all of the people around him, ranging from the completely innocent (eg his wife and kid) to the more morally gray (eg Jesse).

And by the end,
    the show completely spells it out by having Walter himself realize he's a fucking monster, so even the slow folks should be able to get it.

If you come out of that show thinking that Walter is a good guy, you're probably as much of a sociopath as Walter is.

• Options
    I haven't finished Breaking Bad yet but I was both surprised and pleased that early on they do a good job of establishing that this whole road he goes down is more about ego then desperation. His cancer is the impetus but it's not what drives Walter to be who he is and do what he does.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    We finished Umbrella Academy. It was enjoyable but I agree, the constant withholding of vital information for characters is incredibly dumb. We don't even learn about Ben. He's just gone from episode 1 and we're supposed to accept that for the entire season.

Then Allison gets made that Luther didn't sleep with his freaking sister first what a gross plot line wtf.

Time travel and all caused a ton of plot holes. I dunno. I guess S2 could fix a ton of weird writing.

How did the dad know about the apocalypse? Let alone that Vanya would cause it? Ugh. Why not just include her originally so she doesn't go psycho and murder everyone?

So many weird things for the sake of being dysfunctional without a strong motive. I dunno.

Klaus MVP.

Er... the beginning of the show pretty explicitly lays out
    none of these super powered children/adults are related by blood. They aren't actually siblings. They just went to the same weird boarding school ... where their "dad" bought them from their actual parent? Don't know why you would imply incest armed with that knowledge, you would get all weird about two students dating ... unless you think the super natural births make them all blood related?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Klaus MVP.

Er... the beginning of the show pretty explicitly lays out
    none of these super powered children/adults are related by blood. They aren't actually siblings. They just went to the same weird boarding school ... where their "dad" bought them from their actual parent? Don't know why you would imply incest armed with that knowledge, you would get all weird about two students dating ... unless you think the super natural births make them all blood related?

I mean,
    they were raised as brothers and sisters in a similar manner to step-brothers and sisters. And step-siblings getting together, especially ones who have been raised together for most of their lives, is taboo and would probably be considered gross by most.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

People were like this with The Shield and Vic Mackey, a character who (pilot spoiler)
    murders a fellow cop
    in the pilot

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    La Mante is one of those confusing Netflix originals that I'm pretty sure actually has nothing to do with Netflix (Given the TF1 logo at the start) but regardless it's a French crime drama that I watched and sort of enjoyed but it wasn't good at all.

It all comes down to terrible policing and investigative work. I think getting this right is what makes the really good series stand out. This did not. It was a team of morons never asking the obvious questions and taking massive risks for the sake of drama

Also there's some trans stuff that struck me as massively unhelpful but maybe I'm reading too much into it
    The killer is killing people that reject her in bed because of her botched reassignment surgery.

Would I watch a second series? Definitely maybe.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    My only opinions of umbrella academy is that Klause is best boy and that I could never take Luther seriously because he looked like that strangler puppet from OG Puppet Master.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Klaus MVP.

So some comic spoilers in relation to this.
    As mentioned the commission has access to advanced medial tech. Hazel and Cha-Cha are supposed to enhanced. See also how the handler survived a grenade point blank.

Reginald is an alien. That’s how he knew about the apocalypse. He has tech to predict the future. The show has exactly one scene in the final episode where you are supposed to infer this.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Then Allison gets mad that Luther didn't sleep with his freaking sister first what a gross plot line wtf.

Klaus MVP.

As mentioned the commission has access to advanced medial tech. Hazel and Cha-Cha are supposed to enhanced. See also how the handler survived a grenade point blank.

Reginald is an alien. That’s how he knew about the apocalypse. He has tech to predict the future. The show has exactly one scene in the final episode where you are supposed to infer this.

Yeah, my partner told me about the thing about the dad thing afterwards. She went digging around for more answers. Weird.

Any more knowledge on what the
    fireflies from his wife were that he released into the world? Are they supposed to be the 42 kids?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In non Marvel news, I finally caught the first episode of Kingdom and it was pretty fantastic. Can't wait to watch more.

Episoe 4 and 5 were my favourite part of the season with episode 6
    being a wet cliffhanger fart.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Then Allison gets mad that Luther didn't sleep with his freaking sister first what a gross plot line wtf.

Klaus MVP.

Yeah, my partner told me about the thing about the dad thing afterwards. She went digging around for more answers. Weird.

Any more knowledge on what the
    fireflies from his wife were that he released into the world? Are they supposed to be the 42 kids?

If I understood it correctly...
    His wife dies and it causes an alien exodus - all of those rockets firing in the background - likely because they knew about the eventual apocalypse. Not sure if his wife releasing that gas is what caused Vanya to come into being, else it would be a self fulfilling prophecy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So, if the United States had universal healthcare then pretty much none of Breaking Bad would have happened.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    So, if the United States had universal healthcare then pretty much none of Breaking Bad would have happened.

eh, Walter had an out all he had to do was swallow his pride. The show is about male ego and the midlife crisis.

I like to ART
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Umbrella Academy question for those who watched the whole show:
    One of the episodes the camera pans up through Harold/Lenoard's attic and it looks like there is a body on the floor. Was that Ben's body? It didn't seem like that would make any sense if that was the case.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    One of the episodes the camera pans up through Harold/Lenoard's attic and it looks like there is a body on the floor. Was that Ben's body? It didn't seem like that would make any sense if that was the case.

If I remember right it's
    the first chair lady

I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    La Mante is one of those confusing Netflix originals that I'm pretty sure actually has nothing to do with Netflix (Given the TF1 logo at the start) but regardless it's a French crime drama that I watched and sort of enjoyed but it wasn't good at all.

It all comes down to terrible policing and investigative work. I think getting this right is what makes the really good series stand out. This did not. It was a team of morons never asking the obvious questions and taking massive risks for the sake of drama

Also there's some trans stuff that struck me as massively unhelpful but maybe I'm reading too much into it
    The killer is killing people that reject her in bed because of her botched reassignment surgery.

Would I watch a second series? Definitely maybe.

If you're looking for interesting French crime dramas, have you seen Spiral? It's really good. Hella bleak, though.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As far as I know, Bens been dead since well before the show. I think probably whatever caused them to split up.
    In the very beginning they show the group portraits and he's missing from one.
    Edit also his statue at the funeral.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    knitdan wrote: »

People were like this with The Shield and Vic Mackey, a character who (pilot spoiler)
    murders a fellow cop
    in the pilot

More The Shield
    "I've done worse" might be the most horrifyingly chilling sentence I've heard spoken in a fictional tv show.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Klaus MVP.

Yeah, I think the show suffered a little bit from Lost syndrome. They focused a little too much on the mysteries and then failed to deliver interesting results with it. To the point of just abandoning plot lines sometimes, which is my biggest pet peeve.
    Like what happened to Ben, or does Klaus every get to say goodbye to dave

But around the edges, when they weren't trying to lay groundwork for another twist, the characters were really cool and I think very interesting.

Could I have made edits I would have pushed the big reveals to earlier in (like middle of the season) and spent more time on the fallout of the reveals leading to the final twist (that wasn't really).

full season spoilers:
    Like have the whole vanya has powers thing start way earlier and have her spend more time learning/becoming adept but still thinking howard/leopold or whatever is a good guy, and hiding everything from her family. Spend more time her on her decent into madness where she learns all these things about her childhood without anyone else catching on. Which would in turn really highlight Luther's point about her being dangerous, and make it seem less dickish that they just straight lock her up.

Revelations about the council or whatever it's called should have been super early on so they could have more shenanigans with five and the councilwoman.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I've heard such good things about Homecoming but the first episode didn't really do it for me at all. Does it get better after that or is it all of that same pace/style?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Klaus MVP.

Yeah, I think the show suffered a little bit from Lost syndrome. They focused a little too much on the mysteries and then failed to deliver interesting results with it. To the point of just abandoning plot lines sometimes, which is my biggest pet peeve.
    Like what happened to Ben, or does Klaus every get to say goodbye to dave

Re: The spoiler:
    The comics don't spell out what happened to Ben either, and the writer has stated in interviews that he hasn't decided yet on how he died.

This discussion has been closed.