Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I don't remember, but I think closed captioning says what it is when the song starts, if you want to check.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    watched a few episodes of Doom Patrol. It's like Umbrella Academy, if Umbrella Academy didn't have any style, substance or budget.
    Also the bad guy looks like something out of Lawnmower Man.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Netflix has a show up called Workin’ Moms and it seems like it was made in 2017 but it looks like it might actually be good and not just generic “I’m a working mom in the big city trying to have it all,” is it worth it?

I’ll be honest the only reason it caught my eye was because it looks like Maureen Ponderosa/Bastet is the lead and how can a dead tooth cat person get a leading role?

It’s great.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Just a heads up if you have a Shudder subscription, they just got a hold of Gremlins, Gremlins 2, Army of Darkness, The Prophecy, The Burbs and Orphan. None of these appear to be on the other major streaming platforms at this time.

I think I could seriously watch the burbs every day for the rest of my life. I always have loved it, but now that I am married and have kids and live in a fucking little subdivision its like my spirit animal.

I mean I guess if spirit animals were also movies.

Watching the movie nowadays I actually kind of wish they weren't vindicated at the end of the movie, because Ray's speech to Art about them actually being the assholes because they kept persecuting these people who just liked to keep to themselves was the perfect takeaway to drop it on, and resonates with me as someone who was very much part of the black sheep family of my neighborhood for several years. But no it turns out being nosy, trespassing, vandalizing assholes was a good thing because of course the weird introverted neighbors of the suburban cul-de-sac were murderers - of course they were, they weren't social enough.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Just a heads up if you have a Shudder subscription, they just got a hold of Gremlins, Gremlins 2, Army of Darkness, The Prophecy, The Burbs and Orphan. None of these appear to be on the other major streaming platforms at this time.

I think I could seriously watch the burbs every day for the rest of my life. I always have loved it, but now that I am married and have kids and live in a fucking little subdivision its like my spirit animal.

I mean I guess if spirit animals were also movies.

Watching the movie nowadays I actually kind of wish they weren't vindicated at the end of the movie, because Ray's speech to Art about them actually being the assholes because they kept persecuting these people who just liked to keep to themselves was the perfect takeaway to drop it on, and resonates with me as someone who was very much part of the black sheep family of my neighborhood for several years. But no it turns out being nosy, trespassing, vandalizing assholes was a good thing because of course the weird introverted neighbors of the suburban cul-de-sac were murderers - of course they were, they weren't social enough.

That was the original/planned ending. I don't remember if it was actually filmed, and is available, but yeah, it's a somewhat better idea, but perhaps less "fun".

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Do you have lousy Smarch weather? Cool down or warm up with these new Netflix additions!

Apollo 13
    Battlefield Earth
    Clockwork Orange
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Hurt Locker
    LAYER CAKE (!!!!!)
    Lord of War (!!!)
    Legally Blonde
    The Notebook
    Saving Mr. Banks
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Synecdoche, New York
    Thunderbold and Lightfoot (!!)
    W.
    Wet Hot American Summer
    Winter's Bone

and basically, all the Bond movies that were on Hulu or Amazon last month seemed to have switched over, which probably means all the Bond movies that were on Netflix are now on Hulu or Amazon.

Well, now I've finally seen Wet Hot American Summer, and this movie is so dumb but also really funny. Now I can finally watch the Netflix spinoffs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I watched WHAS and thought it was stupid as shit. Then I binge watched the entire season of the Netflix show, also thinking it was stupid as shit.

It's terrible, but I can't stop. It's the chicken mcnugget of comedy.

(The scene in the movie where Rudd had to clean up his mess in the kitchen is just about perfect.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I watched WHAS and thought it was stupid as shit. Then I binge watched the entire season of the Netflix show, also thinking it was stupid as shit.

It's terrible, but I can't stop. It's the chicken mcnugget of comedy.

(The scene in the movie where Rudd had to clean up his mess in the kitchen is just about perfect.)

Ya I'm still pretty sure there were just two angry 5 year olds wearing a Paul Rudd suit because he does that tantrum too perfectly

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Walt's lies in Season 5 Episode 12 are just so flimsy, good Lord man.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HANK CAUGHT HIM!

• Options
    Oh my God.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh my God.

Which episode title are you on?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Please make sure to put any significant Breaking Bad spoilers in tags.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Oh my God.

Ozymandias. This is a really good show!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh my God.

Ozymandias. This is a really good show!

That's what I thought.

And yep, it's the second best drama I've ever seen (The Wire).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Just had to do a mid Episode search to make sure that yes, Anna Gunn did win a pair of Emmys for this show because if she has not it would have been an affront to God and man.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Rewatching Kimmy Schmidt with my girlfriend and there are so many great jokes I didn't catch on my first time watching.
    "The reverend was a psycho, he claimed he came up with the 'Buy the World a Coke' commercial!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mid way through Ozymandias.
    The image of Walt Jr. throwing himself over Skyler to protect her is just one of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen.

My wife turned to me and told me that if I did what Walt was doing she would kill me and put me an acid barrel.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I rewatched the Utangatta episode of Maniac and that made me rewatch the finale, and now I'm planning on just rewatching the whole thing because it is just a remarkably wonderful and thoughtful and funny and sad and cute and relatable thing that I am so happy got made. Jonah Hill and Emma Stone are absolutely outstanding, as is the entire cast, but the direction and writing and set design are exacting and wonderful on a level that I can only think of like, Mad Men or something that is so obsessed with aesthetics and sharpness.

It speaks to me on what feels like such a specific and personal level but I believe that's because it speaks to everyone who has ever lived an unhappy, alienated, isolated life and have had to deal with various mental and family traumas (which is to say, I would guess damn near everyone in the modern age). Spoilers about the show in my thoughts below:
    Jonah Hill's character is dealing with mental health issues, including fixations and the inability to separate reality and hallucinations, and is completely and utterly alone, sexless, inert -- withdrawn into a shell for fear of interacting with a world he doesn't trust to be fully real, unable to talk to women or peers or family in any authentic way after a series (a whole life, really) of errors and blips. To help this, his dreams in the clinical trial revolve around being in interesting and fulfilling and complicated relationships with women (Olivia, the woman he frightened with his first blip/break, who is a representation by the supercomputer to entice him into playing the little roles and 'solving' (and eventually trapping, after the machine breaks) him, and Annie, Emma Stone's character, who is working through her own grief and loneliness). All his roles are reluctant stereotypically masculine roles that he rejects in part or whole, showing him that he can move away from the toxic masculinity of his father and brother and be a man in his own way.

Emma Stone's character is dealing with awful family trauma, stuff that put her dad in a self-sustaining capsule, literally sealed from the outside world. She is dealing with her problems through self-medication, bitter toxicity towards everyone and everything around her including herself, and a defeatist attitude to the wage-slave dystopia she is crushed under day after day in every tiny petty interaction. In contrast, her dreams in the trial have her as strong people with big agency and agendas to match - spies, femme fatales, a drunk con artist elf, basically dangerous women who have been deeply wounded or wronged on some level but keep marching on. Owen, Jonah's character, is there to show her that other human beings still care and matter, that friends can still exist as friends and not pill dispensers or faces to yell into or people who will someday die or go away like everyone she has ever loved has.

I think the idea of a supercomputer-aided clinical trial is an interesting thought experiment excuse for a story, much like Russian Doll, which I also adore, in showing that people who are so unbelievably and totally alone and broken can be fixed by looking to one another, even in the face of overwhelming pain and vulnerability and loss, even in the face of a giant omniscient system that has been broken somewhere along the way into thinking that it must kill those it fixes (read: modern healthcare, consumerism-as-medication, capitalism, etc etc). I think Maniac and Russian Doll are, in their own macabre and somber ways, hopepunk - stories of hope and post-post-apocalypse in a world that has already largely ended in a fascist-capitalist dystopian armageddon.

On a more general level, how frequently the show confidently reuses lines and material and themes, keeps pushing and probing away at them, reworking and reangling their vectors of 'attack', felt very satisfying for me on a personal aesthetic level. For examples: the reuse of the word "arborization" (very Deleuzean...) to mean basically anything the dream-plot needs it to, the repetition of the security guard's mantra, the Very Tiny Manuscript of Don Quixote and the apology speech, popcorns, various signs/company names popping up throughout the dreams. I like shows that feel truly thought-out and self-contained, variations on a theme, a text that knowingly references itself but not as irony but as an argument that all things - ourselves, included - are this dense and self-referential and synchronous, that tell us that we unwittingly internalize everything, everything that's ugly and wrong, but also funny and random and utterly mundane. It also works as an analysis of what the show is saying about parents and children: that we are in fact of course remixes and variations of them, but we are also our own people, making do with what they gave us.

Finally, I loved the foreshadowing of the ending in Episode 6. That he had a plan: he was going to run away together with Emma Stone's character, that they were in a car and driving really fast and running away from something. The weakness and vulnerability as he reveals his plan, the defeated mumble, and Emma Stone's big wet eyes looking on in complete empathy and understanding, that she was also looking, as much as she would deny it, for a partner to escape with. I'm glad that ending happened.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Finished Umbrella Academy. Thought it was kinda fun, but unfocused and it did not live up to the promise of the first 1 or 2 episodes.
    Other people have brought this up, but there were a lot of points where there would be a character missing, and they would go look for them, except the character wasn't really missing they just were out & about doing something. I don't remember seeing a cell phone so I guess those don't exist. It just got really repetitive to see people ask over and over again "where's X?"

The cliff hanger at the end is annoying. It felt a lot like the show Heroes, and not in a good way. Like the whole season was a setup for season 2, which will also end on a cliffhanger and so on. IDK if I'll keep watching.

• Options
    Finished breaking bad, and wow. Just wow.

Going to start Better Call Saul

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Finished Umbrella Academy. Thought it was kinda fun, but unfocused and it did not live up to the promise of the first 1 or 2 episodes.
    Other people have brought this up, but there were a lot of points where there would be a character missing, and they would go look for them, except the character wasn't really missing they just were out & about doing something. I don't remember seeing a cell phone so I guess those don't exist. It just got really repetitive to see people ask over and over again "where's X?"

The cliff hanger at the end is annoying. It felt a lot like the show Heroes, and not in a good way. Like the whole season was a setup for season 2, which will also end on a cliffhanger and so on. IDK if I'll keep watching.

At least they did get a second season. I bet they didn't know that at the time.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Rewatching Firefly again after picking up the Big Damn Hero book.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Up on Prime:

Reign of the Supermen (new DCAU movie)
    Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Heavy Trip (that new Finnish metal comedy movie that seems to be of great aplomb)
    Canadian Bacon

And that new series The Widow with Kate Beckinsale (someone watch and report plz k thx) and The Tick season 2 dropped.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Up on Prime:

Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Heavy Trip (that new Finnish metal comedy movie that seems to be of great aplomb)
    Canadian Bacon

And that new series The Widow with Kate Beckinsale (someone watch and report plz k thx) and The Tick season 2 dropped.

A classic.

• Options
    Up on Prime:

Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Canadian Bacon

A classic.

That movie is so funny.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That movie is responsible for too many university bros showing me their testicles.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

It's not set in modern times. I have trouble nailing down the year due to the time travel stuff, but the cars they drive mostly seem to be 40's and 50's vintage.

Heffling on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

It's not set in modern times. I have trouble nailing down the year due to the time travel stuff, but the cars they drive mostly seem to be 40's and 50's vintage.

It's modern day, there are some hard dates given, and some Vietnam vets clearly in their 50s+ in one scene.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Originally the comic all occurred in an alternate to us 70's, but Netflix decided to set it in present day.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

It's modern day, there are some hard dates given, and some Vietnam vets clearly in their 50s+ in one scene.

It is an alternate timeline, I don't remember if that was made explicit in the show though

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    That said, Umbrella Academy seems to exist in more of a parallel present than in a specific year in the past or future.

Like, old timey cars, but also robots and dudes living on the moon.

It's a pretty neat aesthetic.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I am so hype for The OA season 2. I can't overstate how much I recommend the rest of Brit Marling's filmography. Another Earth, The Sound of My Voice, The East...so many quiet, powerful films. All of them perilously close to navel-gazing film school bullshit...but without crossing that line*

*This is just, like, my opinion, man.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Not sure where to mention it, but since I watched all of Deadwood on streaming, I figure here is as good as anywhere else. Just caught HBO's super-trailer for 2019.

They're making a Deadwood movie with most of the original cast. I am so excited.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I am so hype for The OA season 2. I can't overstate how much I recommend the rest of Brit Marling's filmography. Another Earth, The Sound of My Voice, The East...so many quiet, powerful films. All of them perilously close to navel-gazing film school bullshit...but without crossing that line*

*This is just, like, my opinion, man.

I loved the OA, don't think I'd ever reward season 1, and am leary on season 2. I hope it's great though .

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Up on Prime:

Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Canadian Bacon

EVERYBODY WATCH HEAVY TRIP

• Options
    Wait the Tick S2 dropped already!?
    Guess i know what I'm doing tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Up on Prime:

Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Canadian Bacon

The Tick S2 isn't until April 5.
    You lied to me.

We're fighting now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I have 5,000 forum points on TexiKen.

I have Split here too watch before I get to Glass, hopefully they're worth it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Up on Prime:

Waiting
    Invasion USA
    Canadian Bacon

The Tick S2 isn't until April 5.
    You lied to me.

We're fighting now.

This is instant watcher saying it showed up Feb 28th.

I see Amazon says April 5th but lolz like I'll actually find anything through their site.

We can still fight if you want though!

This discussion has been closed.