Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The writer/director for Chernobyl did a companion podcast where he discusses his storytelling decisions and details omitted from the associated episode. It makes for good office listening.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I had to search for the new Unauthorized Bash Brothers video experience from The Lonely Island like an animal. If the Netflix algorithm doesn't know to put that on my front page, they need new analysts.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I had to search for the new Unauthorized Bash Brothers video experience from The Lonely Island like an animal. If the Netflix algorithm doesn't know to put that on my front page, they need new analysts.

yeah I'm crying laughing

but I can't believe it wasn't the very first thing. that skit show that came out a few weeks ago was right at the top right away (I didn't watch enough to see if that was as good as I'd heard. this is, though. better than I expected)

edit - if you don't like Lonely Island already (the music, or Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, and or Eight Days in Hell from HBO) probably don't bother? but I'd say I'm a big fan.

also if you like them but don't know 8 days in hell, it's jon snow and andy sandberg playing tennis against each other, a sports mockumentary. very good.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Watching the second season of The Deuce

Spoiler for season one
    Man I wish Slim Charles would show back up and shoot the rest of these fucking pimps

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anyone here using DAZN? They've signed some names but I'm curious if the service is any good.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I finished up Dead To Me on netflix, and I loved it from start to finish. The only spoiler free thing I can really say is that the show is brilliant at taking its principle characters, making you really care about them on a human level, and then placing them on opposite sides of a fundamentally irreconcilable dilemma.

Cardellini and Applegate have insane chemistry together.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    My has Catch-22 taken a turn with its last episode. I’m really enjoying this show.

50433.png?1708759015
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I finished up Dead To Me on netflix, and I loved it from start to finish. The only spoiler free thing I can really say is that the show is brilliant at taking its principle characters, making you really care about them on a human level, and then placing them on opposite sides of a fundamentally irreconcilable dilemma.

Cardellini and Applegate have insane chemistry together.

It's been years but I still remember the mall knife kiosk.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    My has Catch-22 taken a turn with its last episode. I’m really enjoying this show.

Unfamiliar with the source material?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »

I can’t rightly remember if I read it or not. I’m going with no after this last episode. I’m still enjoying it though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Rim of the World.
    Probably pass on it. It's difficult. It's set in modern day but it's clearly an 80's film down to many of the clothing choices and hair styles. The main kid could literally be the star of Goonies and the black haired kid is straight out of Stand By Me. It starts off promising but falls apart in the ending and was maybe a little too aspirational with it's alien design than the budget/cgi could accommodate. It very much has the feel of a made for TV movie just without the content restrictions of being a made for TV movie, lots of swearing, lots of innuendo. Some of the jokes are ok.

It falls apart right around the mid way mark when they meet a soldier to give him the magic key. Said soldier is almost immediately killed and the journey begins again. Then they start unveiling their tragic backstories: rich kid is no longer rich, one is a criminal escaped from juvie oh and he struggles with numbers (remember that bit) and the girl's dad wanted a boy. Then the inmate the kids released, who was clearly not a good guy, manages to find them like 30 miles later demanding the magic key so he can trade it for money. Then he dies immediately.

Then, and this is the part where I think everyone checked out, they decide that maybe the alien is tracking them by scent, so they don't wash, but they do manage to all change into Addidas-branded clothing from head to toe and this is what they wear, prominently, for the remaining...20-30 minutes of film. Interspersed with this are actions of sacrifice and love between people who I can only gather have known each other for between 24 and 36 hours.

So they get to the base where the key is needed, but everyone is dead. They each have a few tasks, including black haired kid who has to open a safe but he can't deal with the numbers! Like I know the underlying idea is sad but the implementation was comical. Other kid has to move a satellite because NASA has to manually move satellites with their bodies I guess. The general who is helping them via skype initially tells them to not bother and he's sending two cars for them. Why not wait for the two cars to get their then enact the plan? Then they enact the plan and the general says good job, we're sending two cars for you. So did you not send the cars when you first said you would?

Then the main kid decides he now knows HOW to kill the invincible alien and WHERE to do it despite not having been in that room previously. And sets him on fire, confronting his own fear of fire that took his dad. Fire is fine in that we've seen an alien die to fire already. Except this alien survived re-entry on the outside of an escape pod, so extreme heat doesn't actually do shit to him. On top of all that, the magic key was just coordinates to the alien mothership, because it didn't move for 36 hours, and the plan depended on that. It's also suspect that the only black kid is the only one to get gooed, orally probed and then ganked by the alien on different occasions.
    Wasted potential

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Rim of the World.
    Probably pass on it. It's difficult. It's set in modern day but it's clearly an 80's film down to many of the clothing choices and hair styles. The main kid could literally be the star of Goonies and the black haired kid is straight out of Stand By Me. It starts off promising but falls apart in the ending and was maybe a little too aspirational with it's alien design than the budget/cgi could accommodate. It very much has the feel of a made for TV movie just without the content restrictions of being a made for TV movie, lots of swearing, lots of innuendo. Some of the jokes are ok.

It falls apart right around the mid way mark when they meet a soldier to give him the magic key. Said soldier is almost immediately killed and the journey begins again. Then they start unveiling their tragic backstories: rich kid is no longer rich, one is a criminal escaped from juvie oh and he struggles with numbers (remember that bit) and the girl's dad wanted a boy. Then the inmate the kids released, who was clearly not a good guy, manages to find them like 30 miles later demanding the magic key so he can trade it for money. Then he dies immediately.

Then, and this is the part where I think everyone checked out, they decide that maybe the alien is tracking them by scent, so they don't wash, but they do manage to all change into Addidas-branded clothing from head to toe and this is what they wear, prominently, for the remaining...20-30 minutes of film. Interspersed with this are actions of sacrifice and love between people who I can only gather have known each other for between 24 and 36 hours.

So they get to the base where the key is needed, but everyone is dead. They each have a few tasks, including black haired kid who has to open a safe but he can't deal with the numbers! Like I know the underlying idea is sad but the implementation was comical. Other kid has to move a satellite because NASA has to manually move satellites with their bodies I guess. The general who is helping them via skype initially tells them to not bother and he's sending two cars for them. Why not wait for the two cars to get their then enact the plan? Then they enact the plan and the general says good job, we're sending two cars for you. So did you not send the cars when you first said you would?

Then the main kid decides he now knows HOW to kill the invincible alien and WHERE to do it despite not having been in that room previously. And sets him on fire, confronting his own fear of fire that took his dad. Fire is fine in that we've seen an alien die to fire already. Except this alien survived re-entry on the outside of an escape pod, so extreme heat doesn't actually do shit to him. On top of all that, the magic key was just coordinates to the alien mothership, because it didn't move for 36 hours, and the plan depended on that. It's also suspect that the only black kid is the only one to get gooed, orally probed and then ganked by the alien on different occasions.
    Wasted potential

Agree with everything but the stuff about Dariush, it was clearly more because he's the asshole of the group so he gets dunked on the most. But hell, he was the best of the group and had a solid arc; the Gabriel kid was trying way too hard to be a mini DiCaprio and overacting all the time, the ginger takes a good while to actually be interesting on his bland nerd arc, and Zhenzhen was like the epitome of being what not to do for a stoic kick ass quippy female character, it's as though McG on a dare decided to take those most stereotypically annoying traits he gave the Charlie's Angels and Sarah Walker and condense them into a tween.

It has these moments of totally nailing 80's movies and has some genuinely good snappy dialogue (why are we talking like black guys in 80's movies?) but on the whole it feels lost in what real direction it wants to be, kid/horror/adventure, never really picks one and has these way too glaring moments of levity in a situation where it doesn't work. And you can tell there's a small budget at play, a lot of CGI in the corners of screens and abundant use of smoke and filters to save detailing the aliens (who are trying to do this weird stop motion 80's thing but failing), and there's a scene in the middle of the movie that is clearly the Warner Brothers studio lot, I remember seeing it in Chuck and other TV shows a bunch of times. Plus that house they stay in at one point I'm pretty sure was the same house used in The Babysitter.

Saddest thing about the whole movie is it has straight up great Bear McCreary music that is so 80's kid adventure film it should be repurposed for another film.

I always like McG for everything but Terminator Salvation and the second half of Charlie's Angels 2 and The Babysitter was a really good return to film directing for the guy but this is a let down, a movie that wants to be for teens but it's more for adults with some of the humor (standard cussing and blood is ok for kids, but talking about cockblocking and alien jizz and getting alien oral sex'd is crossing a line), and just doesn't do enough interesting or new things to keep your interest. But since the dude came from music videos he always has a solid handling of using songs with scenes. 4/10.

TexiKen on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fleabag is really good.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the auto-play preview for Rim of the World just... like... the whole movie?

I kept waiting for it to end but it just kept going and it felt like it was just showing me the entire story arc.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Terminator Salvation should have been a really good movie. It had good actors, good effects and a number of great moments and somehow it just could not get the ball into the endzone.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Terminator Salvation should have been a really good movie. It had good actors, good effects and a number of great moments and somehow it just could not get the ball into the endzone.

Terrible director to start

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I did a seven day trial for Cinemax on Amazon Prime to see what they had and just started watching "Warrior". I'm on episode 5. The show is amazing so far. The fight choreography is just incredible for a US production. There really should be more shows and movies with this level of fight choreography made in the US.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I did a seven day trial for Cinemax on Amazon Prime to see what they had and just started watching "Warrior". I'm on episode 5. The show is amazing so far. The fight choreography is just incredible for a US production. There really should be more shows and movies with this level of fight choreography made in the US.

If you have the time, check out BANSHEE on Cinemax. Same creative team as Warrior.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

If you have the time, check out BANSHEE on Cinemax. Same creative team as Warrior.

I will check it out. Hopefully Warrior is successful because I would like to see them do more.

I'm really just happy to see amazing fight choreography in two recent shows in the US (Warrior and Cobra Kai).

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The Terminator sorta thing I've gotten a kick out of and I barely even watch the show, is on Game Of Thrones.

Just with Emilia Clarke and Lena Headey in the same show and vs each other,

It's secretly a Sarah Connor vs Sarah Connor show.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Terrible director to start

That was also where they started going for pg13 ratings

FX is going to try and Ghostbusters '16 Peep Show in the US, because that sounds like a winning formula.

It's not gonna be The Office, and without Mitchell and Webb you're missing what made it so good. Plus, you could argue we already have our own version of Peep Show with Always Sunny.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Pet lovers might want to avoid episode 4 of Chernobyl...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Pet lovers might want to avoid episode 4 of Chernobyl...

Like, for real.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a light horror who-dun-it in the style of the older Scream movies Netflix just added season 3 of the Canadian horror series/anthology show Slasher. It's not doing anything particularly innovative but it's a decent time waster with some pretty gnarly kills. I'd recommend it.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I have now seen Stranger Things season 1 and very good it was too. A quick google suggests I'm not alone in thinking Steve is a dead ringer for Jean Ralphio. I kept expecting him to sing that he was THE WOORRRSSST at people.

Hopefully the second season maintains the quality.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have now seen Stranger Things season 1 and very good it was too. A quick google suggests I'm not alone in thinking Steve is a dead ringer for Jean Ralphio. I kept expecting him to sing that he was THE WOORRRSSST at people.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0MYvTRuDtIUSfQbu/giphy.gif

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

I can’t rightly remember if I read it or not. I’m going with no after this last episode. I’m still enjoying it though.

If the show is 90% hilarious and then 10% horrifying and sad, that's on par with the book.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2019
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The writer/director for Chernobyl did a companion podcast where he discusses his storytelling decisions and details omitted from the associated episode. It makes for good office listening.

*cough* writer/producer not the director *cough*

But yes I've been listening through it today and I like it a lot.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    Slow as molasses day, decide to finally jump on Cobra Kai since the first two episodes are still free on Youtube, and holy shit why didn't anyone say they let an adult beat the shit out of kids I would have expected that to be a Neddly No-no in this day and age but it's perfect and warranted, now that it's up on iTunes I'll buy the season. Yeah it still looks cheap in set design but it also feels sincere in what it's trying to be and represent, I love that. Also Ed Asner where have you been?!?

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Rim of the World.

Wasted potential

I watched this today while working thinking it might be something my niece might enjoy. Hellllll nope.

Everything about this film screams "Kids movie!" but some of the dialogue and humor was waaaaay too risqué. Explicit jokes about giving an alien oral sex were kind of funny but when I considered who this thing was targeted at I just couldn't reconcile the dialogue.

edit: I could also just be an old.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Rim of the World.

Wasted potential

I watched this today while working thinking it might be something my niece might enjoy. Hellllll nope.

Everything about this film screams "Kids movie!" but some of the dialogue and humor was waaaaay too risqué. Explicit jokes about giving an alien oral sex were kind of funny but when I considered who this thing was targeted at I just couldn't reconcile the dialogue.

No it's too adult for a kids movie but too stupid to be an adults movie.

This Historical Roasts on Netflix, woof, that's a real stinker. It's like Netflix saw how bad recent Comedy Central roasts were and decided they can do worse, so they take a half assing it Jeff Ross, add a smaller, weaker audience (that seems like it's filled with production staff or paid extras) and also incorporate modern comedians acting like historical figures because lol so wacky. Natasha Leggero destroys on roasts but here it's like I'm watching her audition for Anchorman 2 or Zoolander 2 and I can't cringe anymore than something something historical reference something something they smoke weed lolz.

It's so weak and watered down and honestly, if the best you can do is go after dead historical figures just pack it in. And go watch Histeria if you want some historical comedy.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Or better yet, Blackadder

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Rim of the World.

Wasted potential

No it's too adult for a kids movie but too stupid to be an adults movie.

I couldn't even get through the trailer for this crap. A group of dumbass kids spend a bunch of time screaming at shit, then get handed the key to save the world. I mean literally; there is an actual key, and the trailer just tells you right out what's got to happen with it. I hated the whole group of kids before the trailer even finished, I knew there was no way I could stand 90 minutes of that.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Holy shit, I can never unsee that.

And yeah, S2 is hundo-p great. I think it loses something just because it's not as fresh as the first season, but it's a great continuation of the story with some excellent new characters.

I'm jonesing for S3.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

And yeah, S2 is hundo-p great. I think it loses something just because it's not as fresh as the first season, but it's a great continuation of the story with some excellent new characters.

I'm jonesing for S3.

I had just come off a rewatch of Parks and Rec so I was 100% waiting for it. That it never happened and he took a heroic turn was an amazing relief.

I saw Jean Ralphio in Night School and took me a few double takes to realize it was really him!

50433.png?1708759015
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    All my streaming services have lapsed. I'm waiting for a couple of solid series to drop before reactivating any of them.

This is what the death zone Everest must feel like.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

I'm jonesing for S3.

Some quality Steve content in S2, too.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
This discussion has been closed.