As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I guess I can understand the chess analogy but I just dont think he ever forgets about the characters and that they arnt just moving pieces. When I think about Hickmans run on thhe Avengers I think about the emotional powerful ones like

Thor realizing a moment before his death that he had become too noble to weild his reverse hammer.

Namor seething in the background at the Illuminati attempts to convince the great society that they arnt the bad guys because he’s already realized what they are about to and its killing him.

Cap being ruined emotionally by the revelation that Tony violated him and his trust for absolutely no reason.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Donny Cates has said a few times that he really wants to bring back the Ultimate universe

Akira Yoshida C.B. Cebulski was asked about that and said he would not confirm or deny if that was happening

But if it WAS happening next year is the 20th anniversary of the Ultimate Universe and that would be the time to do it and also it would definitely be a continuation of the existing Ultimate U, not a reboot.

if it was happening

(Its probably happening)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    what about all those great things they did when they folded the Ultimate universe into 616?

hqdefault.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    what about all those great things they did when they folded the Ultimate universe into 616?

hqdefault.jpg
    Miles Morales has been real good and also benefited from being able to bounce of 616 characters, even if they fucked up his initial introduction

And also Ultimate Reed has been a great addition to the MU

Everything else though...yeah.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg
    Miles Morales has been real good and also benefited from being able to bounce of 616 characters, even if they fucked up his initial introduction

Has he? I thought the general consensus is that they don't really know what to do with him after the initial "he's the street level Spider-Man in contrast to Peter's global Spider-Man."

• Options
    Ugh Marvel you got Hickman back and are getting my 4 dollars a month. Why are you trying to lose it?

Quire.jpg
  • Options

hqdefault.jpg

Has he? I thought the general consensus is that they don't really know what to do with him after the initial "he's the street level Spider-Man in contrast to Peter's global Spider-Man."
    After joining up with the Champions and getting Saladin Ahmed to write him they have definitely found his role to play

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    this pitch is focused completely on scope and not character, which is the antithesis of x-men to me.

so it's a Hickman book

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Isnt boom boom on champions now

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Isnt boom boom on champions now

No? Bombshell is, though.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Is that the ultimate character?

Miles morales apiderman is a blur to me

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the thing hickman does a good job of (in his secret warriors, his FF, his avengers) is introducing these huge enormously consequential conflicts, but then constantly pulling the reader back to the characters with a bunch of little emotional moments. I'm sure there are some issues that have too much of the former and too little of the latter for some readers' taste, but on the whole he does pretty well.

like, ewing's ultimates was good but there are times when he's introduced so much weird shit that by the time he pulls it back to the actual characters my eyes have kinda glazed over. Hickman's rarely guilty of that

I will say that the time travel arc in his avengers seemed like a pointless exercise in continuity-wankery, but that's a minor gripe because those issues still have some fun stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also while I think miles has been mostly okay in 616, I also don't think they've done anything with him that couldn't have been done just as well (maybe better) with the ad hoc team of teenage supers they'd put together before secret wars

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    What even is the ultimate universe anymore? What status quo are we pulling back to? Nobody wants anything like the last three years of the books I’ll tell you that right now.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but I'd much rather see a new version of the ultimate universe that reflects now the way the Ultimate Universe reflected the early 00s.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but I'd much rather see a new version of the ultimate universe that reflects now the way the Ultimate Universe reflected the early 00s.

Now they'll ask Cap if he even has a WhatsApp
    I know that was 616 don't at me

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Whatever happened with Jimmy Hudson in 616?

I remember in X-men Blue they talked about how he came from a different universe and then... I don't remember if they did anything with him again?

• Options
    Whatever happened with Jimmy Hudson in 616?

I remember in X-men Blue they talked about how he came from a different universe and then... I don't remember if they did anything with him again?
    He got bonded with some fuckin knock-off Venom symbiote and got shuffled off to character limbo because X-Men Blue was a clusterfuck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

We already suffered through Secret Empire once

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Snap

• Options
    I feel like a modern Ultimate U wouldn't be as successful as the original as Marvel has gotten better, on average, at making their books more timely and modern.

When the Ultimate Universe launched, X-Men was still being written by Claremont, Busiek's Avengers was in full swing with Maximum Security, Ennis' Punisher wasn't even 10 issues in, and Spider-Man was by...Howard Mackie.

Busiek's Avengers was considered topical and timely for having affirmitive action come up as a plot point and that was in the 00s.

The first Marvel book in the top 100 starring someone who isn't a white man was Spider-Girl who clocked in at the 76th best selling title and Black Panther was the only other title fitting that criteria.

Obviously Marvel still has a LOT of problems, but across the board their books have gotten more diverse leads and creators and the books themselves reflect our modern world in a way more active way than they did almost 20 years back.

A clean slate universe still has potential, because they always do, but the hook that the Ultimate Universe had of "hey we are gonna acknowledge it is the 2000s and incorporate that into the world" does not really work anymore because the Marvel Universe does that now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I feel like a modern Ultimate U wouldn't be as successful as the original as Marvel has gotten better, on average, at making their books more timely and modern.

When the Ultimate Universe launched, X-Men was still being written by Claremont, Busiek's Avengers was in full swing with Maximum Security, Ennis' Punisher wasn't even 10 issues in, and Spider-Man was by...Howard Mackie.

Busiek's Avengers was considered topical and timely for having affirmitive action come up as a plot point and that was in the 00s.

The first Marvel book in the top 100 starring someone who isn't a white man was Spider-Girl who clocked in at the 76th best selling title and Black Panther was the only other title fitting that criteria.

Obviously Marvel still has a LOT of problems, but across the board their books have gotten more diverse leads and creators and the books themselves reflect our modern world in a way more active way than they did almost 20 years back.

A clean slate universe still has potential, because they always do, but the hook that the Ultimate Universe had of "hey we are gonna acknowledge it is the 2000s and incorporate that into the world" does not really work anymore because the Marvel Universe does that now

Jesus, 20 years ago in Comics was way more depressing when you actually put that out there.

And I utterly love Busiek. Astro City is one of my favorite comics ever.

• Options
    Oh yeah I fuckin love his Avengers run, it is just indicative of how stagnant the Marvel Universe had gotten in terms of being the "world outside your window" like they always hype up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I still want them to do an alt-universe that was basically "What would the modern era look like if the F4, Avengers etc. etc. were actually doing the stuff they did back in the 60's."

Like, how would society of progressed if that level of technology had existed in the 60's. If earth had been attacked by 500 zillion alien races in the span of 60 years.

You could also do a thing where the year a character's comic first showed up in is roughly year they first showed up historically, so there'd be different eras of superheros going from the 60's to the 2010's where character like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan are the latest up and comers, having grown up in this batshit crazy superscience world.

• Options

Well the Ultimate Universe had a lot of hooks that I could see still resonating today. The thing that always kept bringing me back is the idea that while the core marvel universe must always reflect the world of today the ultimate universe was allowed to progress and completely change the landscape of the world. The most interesting moment of the Ultimate Universe was when Reed turned europe into a Techofuture utopia, North Korea made a group of mutants that immediately rebelled and made their own society and the United States was going through a second civil war.

Id like to see more of that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    See I think that is something that came down the road much later

Like that stuff happened after the Ultimate Universe had been around 11 years. It ruled and I agree that the concept of a Marvel Universe not beholden to the Status Quo is very interesting but that's not something the Ultimate Universe really started running with until it was nearing its end, not something it was built around.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean, I've always through the first ultimate universe should be read as much as a reaction to the comics of the 90s as anything. 'Rebooting' for the modern era would always have been easy; what the UU gave them an excuse to do was dispense with a bunch of hidebound conventions, and once it was clear they weren't necessary they mostly exited stage right in the mainline universe also

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Like that stuff happened after the Ultimate Universe had been around 11 years. It ruled and I agree that the concept of a Marvel Universe not beholden to the Status Quo is very interesting but that's not something the Ultimate Universe really started running with until it was nearing its end, not something it was built around.

Certainly not on the scale I was talking about but they did have their "no resurrections" rule pretty early.

What I mean is that what the Ultimate Universe was about changed as time went by and ultimately(heh) I think that particular element is the idea that has the most gas in the tank.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Certainly not on the scale I was talking about but they did have their "no resurrections" rule pretty early.

What I mean is that what the Ultimate Universe was about changed as time went by and ultimately(heh) I think that particular element is the idea that has the most gas in the tank.
    They got around no resurrections pretty easily though, and often

Remember how Ultimate Beast was killed and then later they just went OH UH NO HE SURVIVED AND JUST DIDN'T TELL ANYONE

But yeah I agree that would be the way to tackle it, start at a state that resembles a Marvel Universe we recognize and then all bets are off

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, even Bendis violated the "no ressurections" rule back in the day when he used symbiote shenanigans to bring back Gwen Stacey.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I still want them to do an alt-universe that was basically "What would the modern era look like if the F4, Avengers etc. etc. were actually doing the stuff they did back in the 60's."

Like, how would society of progressed if that level of technology had existed in the 60's. If earth had been attacked by 500 zillion alien races in the span of 60 years.

You could also do a thing where the year a character's comic first showed up in is roughly year they first showed up historically, so there'd be different eras of superheros going from the 60's to the 2010's where character like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan are the latest up and comers, having grown up in this batshit crazy superscience world.

Isn't Spider-Man Life Story kinda doing this?

• Options
    the ultimate books worked initially because they were such a departure from everything else marvel was publishing at the time; tighter dialogue, way less exposition, much better art (comparatively), and no long-running continuity to get tripped up by. It was an experiment by a failing publishing house desperate to rejuvenate itself (which succeeded beyond their wildest dreams)

they wouldn't be able to do something like that again because in the modern era, everything they publish has great art (well, mostly) and dialogue written for TV. Rebooting the continuity is irrelevant because they already do that every two or three years.

I don't think trying to intentionally recreate the Contemporary Assholes Dimension would work because it'd be transparent; it'd be a lot more interesting to do a 'universe' that's 50 years in the future or something, but that would also require an order of magnitude more creative writing

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Ahahahahahaha fuck I did NOT see this coming:

Tini Howard is writing a Death's Head book co-starring Wiccan and Hulkling.

Fuckin

Sure okay yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I'd be down with a new Ultimate Marvel-verse as long as they tone down the whole 'real world = everyone has to be a jackass' attitude that ran through some of the books and characters.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have been desiring another Marvel universe akin to the Ultimate universe.

I want it to:

-- Have a strict policy of not reviving/resurrecting dead characters.
    -- Progress in real time.
    -- Alter Marvel's stable of IP to make their characters more diverse.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I don’t think it was intentional, but lots of the ultimate books do share a general theme that growing up turns everybody into an asshole and I always appreciated that

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I don’t think it was intentional, but lots of the ultimate books do share a general theme that growing up turns everybody into an asshole and I always appreciated that

Or if the world can't make you into an asshole, it just kills you (e.g., Peter Parker, perfect cinnamon roll).

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I disliked the idea that the shorthand for "more realistic" is "more cynical"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's what the cynics and pessimists will tell you "reality" is, of course.

"Life is pain, princess", etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.