Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dungeon World] Glamjin’s Tower of Glory

1161718192022»

Posts

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Holly safely deposits her bundle of sprite-friends before leaping into action.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Arcane Bladework

    Arcane Bladework:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=3, 1]

    Grog on
    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Bran draws his Genteel Cane when a sudden violent urgency to *thwack* Glamjin's servitors comes over him. The rogue tries to barrel past Holly, and in the narrow car hall manages to knock them both to the ground.

    OOC: Whelp.

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Aid

    Aid:
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=2, 2]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Midrun one servant leaps and clasps the ceiling. It scuttles along without a break in momentum and lands behind you both.

    The second slides in front of you Bran and kicks the cane hard enough to flip it back against your, now no longer, handsome nose.

    The grey elf stands up and prepares to guard Gisard. Then he stumbles back and falls across the now paralysed grassy imp. He clutches his throat and looks about in shock.

    The first servant took his dagger from his own belt and slit his throat.

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Seeing the servant menacing Bran, Holly reasons that if at first one does not succeed, one should stab stab stab again.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Again Bladework

    Technique: Elaborate (roll in next post)

    Again Bladework:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]

    Grog on
    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Holly does a cool flip, which doesn't achieve much but looked pretty sweet.

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Damage
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Elaborate technique
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Elaborate Damage

    No elaborate damange, just the 4.

    5/16hp after damage

    Damage:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    Elaborate technique:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]
    Elaborate Damage:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

    Grog on
    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    With a flip, flourish and a witty remark you pierce Sweet Eleanor through the servant’s ribs!

    It punches out beside you and seems to miss, but with an awful crunching sound it bends its arm backward and under your sword-arm, then throws you aside with an elaborate manoeuvre of its own!

    Your arm is severed from your body, blade in hand. You rebound off the wall and take a knee, then stumble back to your feet.

    You take only 3 damage due to rule tomfoolery

    Geth roll 1d6 for Damage

    Bran, the other servant is about to pounce on Gisard. What do you do?

    Damage:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Bran's visage turns into a snarl. He's so done with all of these fairy shenanigans, and he's real done with getting hit in the face.

    Seeing the servant ahead is tied up with Holly, the rogue re-grasps his Genteel Cane and thumbs the switch on its handle. Bran spins and lashes out with the barbed whip, aiming just about neck height on the servant bearing down on Gisard.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Hack & Slash (DEX)

    Hack & Slash (DEX):
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=5, 3]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    The barbs of the whip bite into the servant's flesh, and Bran yanks hard on the chain whip while screaming at the fairy.

    "Get over here, you slimy tsaghratsu!"

    Geth, roll 1d8+1d6 for Damage (Exposing Me To Danger)

    Damage (Exposing Me To Danger):
    1d8+1d6 6 [1d8=1] [1d6=5]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    You whip bites deep in the creature’s neck! As you pull them back you feel your stomach leap, and you watch as the servant is dragged along the ceiling! That wasn’t the plan—

    You’re lifted off your feet and fall back through the car. The train is in descent! You raced beyond the island, off the track, and the train is falling!

    You land on your back and accidentally close the Genteel Cane, sending the servant hard into the deck beside you. Its head bounces away unceremoniously. The body convulses, and it dies with a creepy elongated hand gripping your wrist.

    You’re dazed Bran, but you’ve slain the servant before it could ever hope to retaliate.

    Holly, the one you’re facing suddenly reels in pain and falls over. A perfect golden dagger is stuck deep in its leg. Gyrune grumbles, or perhaps that’s a chuckle, as it fully succumbs to its curse. You needn’t Hack and Slash against it now to kill it. It is still clutching your severed sword arm. You’ve lodged the rest of yourself against a wall, you’ve not fallen far.

    Masterwork Dagger
    Fired back out by the imp Gyrune. Deceptively heavy but perfectly balanced.
    1rqafpsi72ta.jpeg
    masterwork, fireproof, thrown, 1 weight

    Gisard, gravity is funky business around these parts. You, Gyrune and the blood gurgling grey elf haven’t moved at all. Hit me with your cool scene, the ritual is complete!


    OOC: Most tags in Dungeon World are made up, in this case:
    - Masterwork — It’s practically perfect, a hundred folds, and so worth a fortune. One day that might matter to you all again.
    - Fireproof — I mean truly fireproof, you could dip this in lava and it’ll stay in one piece.
    Normal throwing daggers are 0 weight, this thing weighs as much as a sword, so a miss will always be too short a throw, but a hit will probably move the target a few feet!

    Endless_Serpents on
    Nips
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    As Gisard works with pure maniacal focus on the ritual, oblivious to the melee, he suddenly responds to Margulis' earlier question, not noticing the grey elf is now bleeding out on the floor. "What do I want? Why, the ultimate goal of all academicsss!"

    He waves an arm dramatically, and the ritual circle blazes into light. The imp-shaped mound of grass and earth starts glowing too.

    "Power!"

    He waves the other arm, and the runes expand upwards into the air in three-dimensional matrixes, revealing many layers of additional magic circles.

    "Recognition!"

    He snaps his claws, and the circles all begin to rotate, gradually gaining speed and glowing brighter and brighter. The imp sinks into the floor together with the battle axe it had in its mouth as it transformed, and grass and vines covered with distinctive decorative Vidofnir metalworking designs begin to creep out over the floor and up the walls as both the imp and the grassy curse are subsumed into the ritual.

    "Job security!"

    The entire cabin is bathed in otherworldly light and noise. The holes in the floor have knit themselves shut. The walls are moving, pipes are writhing, the hatch of the firebox is clanging open and shut, and a green flame has appeared inside it. The steam engine's impressive array of dials and valve handles are spinning wildly and the various levers are rocking back and forth. The imp has vanished completely and foliage has spread out the windows to the exterior of the train and is streaking back along the passenger cars as well. The train's steam whistle suddenly howls. Gisard throws his arms up in the air, shrieking at the ceiling:

    "TENURE!!!"




    The train continues to plummet through the directionless abyss, but after an uncomfortably long few moments its trajectory begins to curve... upward? Hard to say here. But gravity starts to reassert itself inside and everyone descends gently to the floor. The ritual circle and the lights are gone. After leaving his arms awkwardly raised in the air for a while, Gisard sheepishly says "My, working with thisss amount of concentrated mana is rather intoxicating. I wonder if thisss is how Glamjin feels all the time. Heh heh heh heh. Ha ha. HAHAHAHA. No, no, tone it down. Heh heh. Yes, there we go. Anyway! Ghost Train! Your next stop is back at that island we just passed!" The whistle gives another toot and the steam engine controls start moving about on their own, mostly for show as you don't steer a train with the engine controls, but you know. Magic.

    No one can see it from inside, but the imp's face is now incorporated into the front of the engine complete with a chompy mouth. The whole train has been redecorated with intertwined foliage and living wood. The metalwork has been elaborated upon with Vidofnir decorative patterns. It's very fancy.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    GrogEndless_SerpentsNips
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gisard finally notices Margulis on the floor. "Oh no! What'sss-your-name, you've been stabbed!" Gisard feeds Margulis his health potion.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    While her severed arm pummels the servant, Holly gives Gisard a thumbs up with her still-attached hand. "Good show, my friend! The laughter was barely maniacal, you're fine."

    Marvelling at the intricate patterns the wizard created, she remembers her plan to summon a mortal blade- this may be their last chance to harness the power of Imaginaria.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for HARNESS THE POWER OF IMAGINARIA (Shape Thought to create a dagger)
    Woops, that should have been +3 since it's dagger-sized. I'll pick: There is a psychic blowback—take -1 ongoing to construct objects until you leave the area

    HARNESS THE:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=5, 2]

    Grog on
    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    The train circles back around and trashes the enemy vessel! The last thing the servants see is the uniquely odd and frightful visage of... Locorune? Gytrain? Whatever.



    You hear a godforsaken clattering as it breaks against the train’s mandibles yet it continues unhindered. The train lets off a triumphant wooo wooooo as it steadily rolls to a stop moments later, toppling a few trees in its wake. The new tracks beneath it are white hot, but cooling.

    Margulis is healed up with a nasty permanent scar and a hoarse whispery voice. He mouths ‘you saved my life’, then faints after holding up his own blood caked hands to his face.

    Sir Krig bursts in and slams his sword down onto the remaining servant, cutting it in half vertically to the waist. See, now that was maniacal.

    “To me, my company! We make for the tower NOW! We must succeed, we must return home!”, the white knight roars.

    He doesn’t even shoot you a look as he pushes open a door and leaps out. Further back Paolo, the kid in his arms, and Van Lonestar follow him into the emerald forest of this mysterious island. Paolo calls back a farewell, then picks up the pace, his revolver held high. Guess they’d discussed their actions upon arrival awhile ago.

    Dooli and Scout make their way to the front of the train, the frogfolk samurai grimaces from atop the robot’s head.

    “Nice scar princeling. You have my thanks... Gisard right? I’m Dooli. Out of interest, are you from the world with the Sochetti Republic, desert nation, big river running down the middle of it? Either way, nice to see a familiar sort of face.”, Dooli says.

    He picks up the elf and throws him over his shoulder.

    He looks over his party, “Guess we’re heading for the tower in the middle of this island guys.”

    Holly, it is a thin parrying dagger. You’re almost certain has been shaped by the memory of a dagger a certain rival used against you in a sparring match that lead to a night of passion. Pure iron, you’ll find it strongly magnetic when you try it against the right metals. It’s... nothing too special under regular conditions. These, as you are aware, have not been regular conditions.

    9mk97lu42evl.jpeg

    The Mortal Blade of Holly Pontoon
    fairy-bane, magnetic, 0 weight

    Endless_Serpents on
    Nips
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Holly inspects the blade and anyone standing close enough hears her sigh "Gilsom..." before she stows it out of sight of the forest-sprites.

    Watching Krig's party rush ahead with approval, she strikes a pose at the door and turns to her comrades. "Come, my friends, Destiny awaits!" They can hear the capitalisation.

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    LEVEL UP

    OOC: It’ll be a few hours ‘til I can give you a proper update, so in the meantime getcha some advancement!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    The island stretches out before you. It is verdant, alive with queer birdsong and chirping insects. The ground is rich in fallen pine and tall evergreens sway in the breeze. The grey of the raw Informe is replaced with a pale evening light, as if we’re a Solstice. Twilight, you might call it.

    zadteig0w89z.jpeg

    As the last of you vacate the train it blasts off into the sky trailing steam and sparks. Dozens of spinning seeds ascend and dance before you on the sudden wind.

    Time to kick it old school, heroes. Let’s hex crawl!
    s9rlk3if98pb.jpeg
    Each hex is about 2 miles across. The island is not very big, all things considered.

    Gisard’s amulet floats by its own violation, casting a shadow of a twisting, bending figure, like a flickering flame.

    It speaks to Gisard now, “I was not able to capture more than a glimpse of this island, but here is what I know.”

    The amulet explains what they’ve seen over a crimson hologram of the island.

    1. This is where you and Dooli’s party are at currently. Light forest.
    2. Heavy forest.
    3. Light forest. Movement seen.
    4. Wetlands, with many waterfalls.
    5. Mountain range. Low cloud.
    6. Mountain range.
    7. Unknown. Low cloud.
    8. The Tower of Glamjin. Radiates magic.
    9. Unknown. Low cloud.
    10. Unknown.
    11. Unknown.
    12. Unknown. Low cloud.
    13. Unknown.
    14. Unknown.
    15. A huge chasm. Radiates magic.

    Decide which hex you’re taking on next (choice of 2 or 3), and answer these questions:
    Holly: What do you fear lurks in the forest?
    Gisard: What do you hope grows in the forest?
    Bran: What force for good might exist in the forest?

    Pomme will take the lead, granting you each +1 forward to overcome an obstacle or dodge danger.

    The remaining party will march beside you, for now at least.

    The sprites have fled into the undergrowth. Gone from sight and though giggling, never to be found. Holly, the back of your left hand has a tiny pink kiss mark.

    Kissed by a Sprite
    When you would be dealt a killing blow, you remain at 1 HP instead. Once you’ve used this move, remove it.

    Finally, each of you ask me a question about anything at all. I will answer honestly.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    "Well met, Dooli. Indeed, I am the wizard Gisard, but I'm afraid I've never heard of the Republic of Sochetti. If we hail from the same world, it is likely our peoples are so far apart that they have never made contact. I hail from the Jormungand Empire, on a prime material plane we never named, because we didn't realize there was more than one. I suppossse that if I ever thank Glamjin for anything, it would be for enlightening me as to the depthsss of my ignorance in that regard."

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Standing beside Hiroki and astride Hao-Gou, Holly taps her witchglass chin and considers the path ahead. "Hmm, I would think it is better to see one's enemies coming than chance an ambush amid heavy woodland. What say you, friends?"

    She daren't tempt fate by naming the fear that lurks in her heart- a nursery of elf-children. Alien, amoral creatures of pure magic- uncontrollable, but a perfect obstacle for any interlopers.

    ooc: Question for the DM: Does Glamjin know we're here?

    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Gisard level up! Level 4 Wizard Lizard!
    +1 int for 18, and a juicy +3 int roll bonus

    New advanced move: Counterspell. When you attempt to counter an arcane spell that will otherwise affect you, stake one of your prepared spells on the defense and roll+Int. On a 10+, the spell is countered and has no effect on you. On a 7-9, the spell is countered and you forget the spell you staked. Your counterspell protects only you; if the countered spell has other targets they get its effects.

    After Gisard's experiences with the train animation ritual, he's gained some insight into wild animation magic and transcribed the level 3 spell "Awaken Spell" from the amulet's record of the vampire lord's spellbook into his own: Choose a spell or magical effect in your presence: it goes rogue. It now has a life of its own and is permanent. The spell will do you one favour in gratitude, then act of its own free will in accordance with a base instinct derived from its spell type.


    What Gisard hopes to find growing in the forest: trees with branches suitable for wizard staves. He misses his staff, and this forest is probably enchanted as heck, so there should be some good candidates.


    I assume we're taking a rest here before proceeding, marking off rations and healing and preparing spells and such?

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    For all Glamjin’s flamboyant persona and supposed whimsy he’s got his dominion running like clockwork.

    He isn’t paying attention to you, he hasn’t even seen you arrive from where he’s currently residing, but he assumes at least two vehicles have brought several adventurers to the island. This time the ghost train and the pirate’s galleon made it. Elsewhere an uncounted number of adventurers never made it this far.

    The last time Glamjin checked in on your party was during the riot in the desert city.



    If you need a rest Gisard, the party will rest. Doing so means you don’t catch up to Sir Krig’s party.

    Everyone, you make camp long enough to prepare, eat your rations, heal up and discuss matters.



    Dooli gently lays the grey elf on a pile of leaves.

    He walks over and cups his claws in a pool of cool water, then pours it over the fainted fellow’s face.

    “Uh. I’m not dead. Still. Give me a minute, I’ve spots in front of my eyes”, he whispers hoarsely.

    The other party declares they’ll need time to get ready.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The ritual took a lot out of him and everyone's moderately injured, so Gisard thinks resting seems like the prudent thing to do before embarking on a journey through an unknown wilderness.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Holly would agree, better to stick with Dooli's team than go rushing after Krig's.

    ooc: Level 4 Holly gets +1 Int (18) and takes Multiclass dabbler for:
    "Burns Twice as Bright
    When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a 7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

    Burns Half as Long
    You gain this move when you gain Burns Twice as Bright.

    When you sacrifice a victory to the flames of fate, treat any roll of 10+ as a miss."

    Hp after rest: 13/16

    Grog on
    rm4k6cctdpin.png

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Bran's all for a rest. All that metaphysical exercise's got him a bit tuckered out.

    (Resting, HP back to 22/22)

    Lv. 4
    Stat bump to Dex [now 17]
    Move: Dark Gaze

    (Will check in later with the rest of my input)

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Bran takes a bite of biscuit as he rests, sitting on the ground with his elbows on his knees. It's been a while since he's seen a true-to-life forest; his now arguably-former line of work kept him closer to the hewn stone and cleft wood of civilization. Even so, he surveys the treeline along with his companions.

    Still never not weird.

    The thought of the deep woods gives him a shiver. Back home, there were stories of a man-like beast that roamed the darkest forests that would prey on any that would foolishly wander too far from the safety of a hamlet or town. Of course, Bran knew not all of the common gossip could be believed. His family, well versed through practical research, knew better; the sight of an Albino Wendigo was not only good luck, but an omen that travelers through the wood would be protected from harm. One simply needed to show proper deference to the mighty creature, and you could be assured of a potent ally and guardian.

    Bran still had one lingering question though, as he glimpsed the tower on the horizon through the trees:

    Do we actually stand a chance against Glamjin?

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yes, you do. Also you might all die trying.

    Glamjin was an adventurer once himself, and he’s adept in a host of skills you’d expect from someone who’s lived as long as he has. He was a bard originally, so take into account what you suppose a bard can do.

    He is in possession of a god’s power, but it can never truly be his. It burns him, and no matter what he does it ages him with use. He can never be immortal, no being can save the gods. Things like liches, dragons and high elves are fooling themselves, and you’ll note all those ancient creatures are a rarity if not nonexistent on most worlds.

    You will face him at his weakest. He’ll still be a stronger and smarter foe than you’ve ever faced, and on home turf, but perhaps you’ve a few tricks up your sleeve too?

    Take heart, few learn of this and assume its hopeless.

    Likewise most never learn the reason Glamjin sets up his game. To briefly recap: Through some dark magic he’s going to feed on the heroism and memory of your adventure. The opposite of a bard’s purpose. This will keep him young ‘til he does this all over again.

    Finally, though only one got through and was shot down, you can extrapolate that a number of angels are assaulting the outer defences of Glamjin’s realm, and would aid you if only they could.

    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    There is a rustling up ahead. You hear a twig snap. Time passes. You hear the call of strange birds.


    Then nothing.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    vjvtpin5sesx.jpeg
    Through the Light Forest
    The damp air is pollen sweet yet richly earthen. The ground is soft beneath your feet. It is cool, fresh you might call it, just enough to make your skin goosebump. Well, Bran’s skin anyway.

    The terrain in uneven but fortunately there is amble space between trees, granting you a good range of vision as you traverse onwards.

    Pomme leads the way. Holly and Bran next, with Gisard behind them. Dooli’s lot take the rear, with the ever curious Scout lagging as they inspect every flower and stone.

    Gisard
    Only you can read this:
    Your amulet is still floating beside you, but has made no move to be worn. It is obvious now it has been gaining power and awareness over time.

    During your ritual its shadow grew and shifted. Thinking back it was like a man or beast writhing around.

    Will you tell anyone else what you know?

    The crimson light of the amulet flickers over you Gisard and it speaks clearly, “You are marvellous wizard! See how our combined efforts have thwarted Glamjin? We shall all have our revenge!”

    It turns off the hastily made map and provides you with some reading material for the trek, just a few chapters on necromancy.

    After seeing your eyes narrow, it explains, “You might consider necromancy in the future, as an aid to your companion Holly. Negative energies have restorative effects on undead. It can only help if you understood such things deeper.”

    Your tastes and that of the vampire lord might differ, who can say?

    Bran & Holly
    It’s not just a forest. You’ve learned enough now. This island is the last challenge.

    Bran, dust off your Trap Expert move.

    Holly, there is something stuck in the ground a little ways ahead. Tell me what you think it is.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gisard's not one to be prejudiced about necromancers. The Jormungand Empire regulates but does not ban it, and Gisard personally thinks necromancy has many fine applications, when used... responsibly. However, it isn't prejudice so much as practical experience to be suspicious of the amulet's previous masters. The sight of his own now-pale scales serves as a reminder of that.

    "Indeed, a fair idea. When there isss time I shall give those spellsss a look." He is actually still interested in studying Holly's condition, but mostly he's just humoring the amulet.

    What's could possibly go wrong?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 17
    Bran, sharply aware that the party treads in hostile territory, falls back on his trusted skills.
    Strong start with Trap Expert
    Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
    What does the trap do when activated?
    What else is hidden here?

    Geth, roll 2d6+3 (DEX, +1 Pomme forward)

    (DEX, +1 Pomme forward):
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=2, 6]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
    There are a number of tripwires from tree to tree. Now that you’ve seen them you can safely navigate between them.

    What does the trap do when activated?
    The tripwires are made of the thinnest thread you’ve seen, like spider silk. The tripwires connect to tiny bells hidden up in the branches. Activating them would send a signal to what must be a smart but primitive group. This close to Glamjin, you’d think the traps would be magical, so this group must not be his elite guard or the like.

    What else is hidden here?
    The trees also have little roughly made flutes tied to them. Presumably when the wind is stronger haunting melodies blow through them, spooking the wildlife.

    Besides that a white fragment of something catches your eye. You pick it up slowly, making sure it’s not part of a pressure plate or something, and inspect it. It is part of an extremely old skull with marks scratched into it. The lines are thick, as if cut in by a rock.

    You alone know what it reads.
    Forgotten.

    You’d best be quiet, ears that pick up ringing bells will pick up noisy adventurers.

    Nips
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Bran relays his findings to the group, quietly but insistently. He then draws his cane, and begins to pick a path forward forward for the team.

    Forgotten. Well, there's worse fates than that, I suppose.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    A flock of birds fly overhead, their calls sound like the crying of a baby. It stops and starts over and over, growing quieter as they fade from view.

    Bran, only you see:
    A snake is coiled around a branch of a tree as you pass it. It is small, green, and dozing with its eyes open. When you blink, it is no longer there.

    As you head further inward the forest floor becomes thick with wild flowers.

    Gisard, describe one strange thing about the patch of trees to your right. Why are they different to the others so far?

    Holly is drawn to something stuck in the ground, and Scout follows her.

    Everyone is still well in sight of Pomme and Bran.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That stand of trees to the right... they have interesting patterns of knots and whorls and hollows on their trunks. If you used your imagination a bit, they might almost look like spooky faces.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Do you head over to the trees?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited 10:40AM
    Meanwhile

    Glamjin sits at a garish desk with a large mirror before him. Blinking lights hang around it, and are the only source of light in the massive room. There is a single door, no windows. Everything Glamjin wants to see is right here.

    “Death is all around us my pretties,” he slurs like a drunk, “But I am beyond Death.”

    The ‘pretties’, his mouthless servants, nod quickly as they continue to apply dabs of glamour to his face like so much make-up. Tiny sprites (twisted in ways best left unsaid) spray him with perfume and attend to his wild hair. Goblins cower at his feet and agree with their master with parroting nonsense: “yesyesyes— beyondbeyondbeyond —deathdeathdeath.”

    Their eyes are replaced by polished buttons, and their teeth are broken glass. The oversized clothing they wear seems to have no theme, rags of other worlds.

    When the last porcelain-like crack in his cheek is covered, he tests a smile. Perfect, Glamjin thinks.

    The desk drops through a portal in the floor, and Glamjin taps his chin. A throne? Gold or jet black? Torchlight, of course, electric lighting has completely the wrong ambience.

    He chides himself for not bothering to learn much about any of the adventurers in his game. Once he’d have made things more personal, but now he needs more and more fuel for his life, now he steals so many, many more each time.

    He takes a long breath, his voice returning to its usual silken tone, “Well then you old devil, I’ve a little walkabout for you. Go challenge the most successful party, and return to me after you’ve done your most useful of deeds.”

    From within a shadowed cage, something stops sharpening a sword.



    OOC: When Holly has described and chosen to interact/ignore the item she has seen and Gisard has likewise chosen to take a closer look at those gnarled trees or not, you have successful navigated the light forest without harm. Good job!

    Endless_Serpents at
    Nips
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited 8:30PM
    Gisard is gonna check out the trees. Carefully. From a distance. With Detect Magic.
    Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Cast A Spell.

    Actually to hell with it, he'll cautiously approach them as well.

    Cast A Spell:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=4, 3]

    BahamutZERO at
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    They’re dang magical as heck!
    They’re not out to get you though, or going to attack you. They’re still just trees.

    If you snap off one of the lower branches it’ll change into a suitable staff of your choice.

    Magic Staff
    enchanted, 1 weight
    rgky39j2jeng.jpeg

    NipsBahamutZERO
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hell yeah. Gisard does that.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Nips
Sign In or Register to comment.