As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You're [History], Like A Beat Up Car

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You should put a piece of duct tape over the led in the fire alarm.

Or just buy a new alarm. It's probably less than $10

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Thing is even that isn't precise

There's differences in Welsh accents across Wales, there's differences in the Yorkshire accent, usually I can tell what city someone in South Yorkshire someone is from cos of little accent quirks!

I was gonna make a joke based on that map that Welsh only had one dialect, "incomprehensible". Now you're saying that there's differing variations of "I'm sorry, I didn't understand anything you just said?"?

I kid. Mostly.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    To separate the sleep discussion from the focus one, I'll make a separate post.

We think of people as multitaskers, but this is a complete lie. People are single taskers, and it takes a fair amount of time (about 20 minutes to half an hour) to really engage deeply with any given thing. If you switch away from that task, even for a few seconds, that deep focus is broken, and completely resets. You now need another 30 minutes to get back to it.

Smartphones. Notifications. Beeps. Vibration. Extra tabs on browsers. Watching one thing while doing another. Listening to podcasts. Easy access tablets. Endless distractions. Endless task switching. A really stupid cultural belief in the lie of the benefits of multitasking.

How much deep focus do you think you get in a day? We can all do it, if we give ourselves the time. How often do you give yourself the time?

Conversely, not much work these days actually requires much attention. I can "multitask" because when I'm at my desk, I'm switching between five different fucking boring and largely redundant activities that take virtually no thought to accomplish, just time.

But anything that needs real attention I can work at 8 hours straight. There just isn't much at a job these days that actually needs that kind of attention, and you generally get shit on for it because 8 hours on one task doesn't look as good as 8 non-tasks in 8 hours.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

We think of people as multitaskers, but this is a complete lie. People are single taskers, and it takes a fair amount of time (about 20 minutes to half an hour) to really engage deeply with any given thing. If you switch away from that task, even for a few seconds, that deep focus is broken, and completely resets. You now need another 30 minutes to get back to it.

Smartphones. Notifications. Beeps. Vibration. Extra tabs on browsers. Watching one thing while doing another. Listening to podcasts. Easy access tablets. Endless distractions. Endless task switching. A really stupid cultural belief in the lie of the benefits of multitasking.

How much deep focus do you think you get in a day? We can all do it, if we give ourselves the time. How often do you give yourself the time?

Conversely, not much work these days actually requires much attention. I can "multitask" because when I'm at my desk, I'm switching between five different fucking boring and largely redundant activities that take virtually no thought to accomplish, just time.

But anything that needs real attention I can work at 8 hours straight. There just isn't much at a job these days that actually needs that kind of attention, and you generally get shit on for it because 8 hours on one task doesn't look as good as 8 non-tasks in 8 hours.

That's true, but there are jobs that require attention, and things you probably want people to be paying attention to, and it's crippled for that too. It's not just about your work. You kind of would like people to be thinking about the world around them too, you know, and not just posting on twitter.

Deep focus isn't the same as "working for 8 hours straight". You can task switch several times an hour over that 8 hours, work for that entire time, and never have engaged deep focus.

It's the same as sleep. Just sleeping 8 hours isn't enough, it has to be under the right conditions.

I recommend the book stolen focus, as a good primer. It does a good job at trying to stick to the scientific evidence. There's a lot more factors influencing focus disruption than just distraction. I just picked one of them because it's a fairly easy one to fix when you know about it, if you need or want the ability to deeply focus on something.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You should put a piece of duct tape over the led in the fire alarm.

Or just buy a new alarm. It's probably less than $10

It's a strata thing in an apartment building, we aren't allowed to touch it. Basically, beaurocratic red tape due to government regulations that say we must have a fire alarm, it has to be an approved one, and this is the approved one the organisations involved installed.

Also blocking the light doesn't work cos it seeps out the gaps left to allow smoke in for it to detect it. I'd basically have to cripple the alarm completely. I think it's meant to allow you to see if the power goes out, but they've decided to leave it on all the time. I can see clearly in the room when the light is off, its silly. And this is after I put a bunch of bluetac on the main light, so I can see clearly just with the seepage. Not enough to read a book, but it's basically a kids nightlight. I can walk straight across the room and not hit anything.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Noooo

Sorry should have elaborated, it split it up as one of the main guys behind it moved to the University of Nevada, I've not traced what he's done since but you never know...

I don't suppose you have the name? The two main guys were a father and his son, David and Ben Crystal, with the son Ben the one really into it. Was it Ben who moved?

Yup.

As for that map, that was picked from a bunch of others that usually were posted with a comment "look at this ludicrous map", but reckon that got the main groups for someone from outside the UK without getting into the weird multi-layered stuff and just hoped that people would understand that places like Portsmouth and Southampton have different accents (kind of either side of the pointy bit at the bottom opposite of that tiny island).
    Assume that that bit between Northumbrian to Pitmantic is closer to the norm for people who live just outside those areas.

A lot has changed since the introduction of the bicycle and train in the 19th century, but prior to that most people lived, married and died within a mile of where they were born. Up around Manchester, there are steep hills that were enough to produce different accents in people living either side.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    it doesn't help that shakespeare is (imo at least) kinda desperately mis-taught in american schools

Yeah, Shakespeare has been done hideous disservice by modern presentation of classical material. The guy wrote shit to be entertaining. Funny. Dramatic. Compelling.

And then education for classical materials gets a hold of it and sucks out aaaaaaalllll of that. Every. Last. Drop. Cut out all the bawdry stuff. Cut out almost all the funny stuff. Talk up the iambic pentameter a ton, scatter in some extremely dry dissections of important outdated phrases. Slap some graded material on it. Done.

My intro to Shakespeare was Romeo and Juliet, and the modernized movie adaptation of it.
    So it took me awhile to appreciate the author from my own interest. This goes for Dickens as well.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    it doesn't help that shakespeare is (imo at least) kinda desperately mis-taught in american schools

Yeah, Shakespeare has been done hideous disservice by modern presentation of classical material. The guy wrote shit to be entertaining. Funny. Dramatic. Compelling.

And then education for classical materials gets a hold of it and sucks out aaaaaaalllll of that. Every. Last. Drop. Cut out all the bawdry stuff. Cut out almost all the funny stuff. Talk up the iambic pentameter a ton, scatter in some extremely dry dissections of important outdated phrases. Slap some graded material on it. Done.

My intro to Shakespeare was Romeo and Juliet, and the modernized movie adaptation of it.
    So it took me awhile to appreciate the author from my own interest. This goes for Dickens as well.

Yeah, we watched Romeo + Juliet in class. It was rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEzskNtFnIY

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Internal monologues is only one way that some people think right now.

Think of the words people say as an output. The internal processing done to get there can be wildly different, but because our language requires a linear sequence of sounds, we assume everyone does that internally too. There's no way to tell if someone is or isn't unless they tell you.

I dont have an internal monologue unless Im actively planning how to construct a sentence. I dont think in words, but images, abstracts, emotional impressions, and shapeforms.

I remember one lady who said she has an old italian married couple arguing in her head. Not like at her. She doesnt argue with them. Theyre literally her thoughts. Theyre in a kitchen, and everytime shes thinking of anything its these two going at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/25/the-last-great-mystery-of-the-mind-meet-the-people-who-have-unusual-or-non-existent-inner-voices

Italian couple lady is pretty great but I honestly think mr hopkins life is pretty peaceful. His internal idling is complete silence.
    “Like a tiny island, surrounded by an infinite ocean,” is how Justin Hopkins describes his brain. “The tiny island is where all the conscious things seem to happen, but it’s surrounded by this infinite, inaccessible stuff.” Hopkins, who is 59 and works for a social enterprise in London, doesn’t have an inner voice. There is no one in his brain to blame, shame or criticise. In his head, there is emptiness: just the still warm air before a rustling breeze.

“There’s nothing there,” says Hopkins. “And I don’t think there ever has been.” Of course, Hopkins has thoughts: we all do. But the inner monologue that fills our brain while the engine stands idling isn’t there. It’s been clicked off, permanently. “When I am alone and relaxed, there are no words at all,” he says. “There’s great pleasure in that.” He can easily while away an hour without having a single thought. Unsurprisingly, Hopkins sleeps like a baby.

Hold up. People actually have an internal monologue going all the time? That can’t really be true. A person would go bugfuck insane from that.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Nobeard wrote: »

Think of the words people say as an output. The internal processing done to get there can be wildly different, but because our language requires a linear sequence of sounds, we assume everyone does that internally too. There's no way to tell if someone is or isn't unless they tell you.

I dont have an internal monologue unless Im actively planning how to construct a sentence. I dont think in words, but images, abstracts, emotional impressions, and shapeforms.

I remember one lady who said she has an old italian married couple arguing in her head. Not like at her. She doesnt argue with them. Theyre literally her thoughts. Theyre in a kitchen, and everytime shes thinking of anything its these two going at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/25/the-last-great-mystery-of-the-mind-meet-the-people-who-have-unusual-or-non-existent-inner-voices

Italian couple lady is pretty great but I honestly think mr hopkins life is pretty peaceful. His internal idling is complete silence.
    “Like a tiny island, surrounded by an infinite ocean,” is how Justin Hopkins describes his brain. “The tiny island is where all the conscious things seem to happen, but it’s surrounded by this infinite, inaccessible stuff.” Hopkins, who is 59 and works for a social enterprise in London, doesn’t have an inner voice. There is no one in his brain to blame, shame or criticise. In his head, there is emptiness: just the still warm air before a rustling breeze.

“There’s nothing there,” says Hopkins. “And I don’t think there ever has been.” Of course, Hopkins has thoughts: we all do. But the inner monologue that fills our brain while the engine stands idling isn’t there. It’s been clicked off, permanently. “When I am alone and relaxed, there are no words at all,” he says. “There’s great pleasure in that.” He can easily while away an hour without having a single thought. Unsurprisingly, Hopkins sleeps like a baby.

Hold up. People actually have an internal monologue going all the time? That can’t really be true. A person would go bugfuck insane from that.

People dont?

I mean sometimes I'm just singing the Super Mario World theme to myself on a loop but unless I'm engaging externally I've always got dialogue in my head. Lots of times rehearsing conversations or what I will say in front of other people / audiences but there is always some internal thoughts of what I'm thinking through or saying.

Edit - if I was diagnosed as bugfuck insane I'd shrug and say well thank god that answers so much.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It is true that there are changes in our ability to pay attention due to disruptive influences of various technologies and destruction of healthy sleep.

Changes in how we speak are a consequence though, and not a cause.

Funny little images of how people talked about it over a hundred years ago has little relevance to that. The reduction in focus is well studied and isnt just some dude saying it.

I know, which is why I didn't mention that part and specified changes in how we talk. Calling the way people talk these days a regression is nothing but cultural bias.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Wait, people don't go around mentally reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear?

Huh.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

People dont?

I mean sometimes I'm just singing the Super Mario World theme to myself on a loop but unless I'm engaging externally I've always got dialogue in my head. Lots of times rehearsing conversations or what I will say in front of other people / audiences but there is always some internal thoughts of what I'm thinking through or saying.

Edit - if I was diagnosed as bugfuck insane I'd shrug and say well thank god that answers so much.

Yep. I'm pretty sure this is one of those common traits for folks who get worn out while socializing; you can burn a lot of mental energy trying to consider enough angles in a conversation.

Personally I play cartoons and music videos in my head a lot. It's like built-in YouTube.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    Wait, people don't go around mentally reciting the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear?

Huh.

Only when it's my turn to talk in meetings

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This is all very interesting and I was about to reply but I glanced down and realized this isn't [Chat].

Which let me to the question: What the fuck is happening in this? :tongue:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I would like to sheepishly point out that historical information and history related stuff has been brought up multiple times in this conversation.

And you can't get more historical than talking about Shakespeare dude lived like a million years ago!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Yes folks, I agree. We need to keep this thread more on topic.
    That said, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is great, especially his recent episodes on Supernova in the East.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I thought he did a pretty decent job of doing a show about Slavery without it turning into a total clusterfuck. Especially for someone with a significant conservative audience he didn’t seem to be afraid of saying “this is how shit was, deal with it.”

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Doesn't everyone have a narrator? I'd get very bored without the narrator.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    For decades I genuinely thought internal narrator and monologues were just a media trope to more clearly communicate what a character was thinking.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

How much deep focus do you think you get in a day? We can all do it, if we give ourselves the time. How often do you give yourself the time? This impacts everything in society because everyone's ability to deeply focus is crippled.

Depending on how interesting it is, I will forget to eat, sleep, barely even remember to use the restroom. But also I have ADHD, so that's cheating.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

How much deep focus do you think you get in a day? We can all do it, if we give ourselves the time. How often do you give yourself the time? This impacts everything in society because everyone's ability to deeply focus is crippled.

Depending on how interesting it is, I will forget to eat, sleep, barely even remember to use the restroom. But also I have ADHD, so that's cheating.

Since this is getting super tangenty Im gonna not reply to anymore of this stuff. Lets get back to the greeks and cool old stories and whatnot.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular

Since this is getting super tangenty Im gonna not reply to anymore of this stuff. Lets get back to the greeks and cool old stories and whatnot.

How about that early Seventeenth-century story about a dude who was so into books he basically lived in a fantasy world and started hallucinating?

• Options
    Is there much research out there into using crops/plants that migratory humans used/brought along with them that helps discern patterns in early human migration? I was thinking this morning about how onions and related species are so prevalent across large swathes of the northern hemisphere, and how much of that is concurrent evolution, and how much is the same plant being dragged everywhere because humans liked eating it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    One of my plant biology professors in college called Johnny Appleseed the world's first ecological terrorist, but that's probably an American-only lens to looking at ecological terrorists.

• Options
    One of my plant biology professors in college called Johnny Appleseed the world's first ecological terrorist, but that's probably an American-only lens to looking at ecological terrorists.

I'm sure other cultures have done it (as always), but again we see how western culture does it's best to be the worst at everything.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Is there much research out there into using crops/plants that migratory humans used/brought along with them that helps discern patterns in early human migration? I was thinking this morning about how onions and related species are so prevalent across large swathes of the northern hemisphere, and how much of that is concurrent evolution, and how much is the same plant being dragged everywhere because humans liked eating it?

Agriculture is a relatively recent development in human history at about 12,000 or so years ago. Agriculture requires a stable human presence to tend to the crops, so once a particular group took up agriculture, they tended to stop migrating and settled in one place. It was also relatively hard to transport varieties of plants around into significantly different environments productively, so most early agricultural societies tended to use local plants that were already adapted to the local environment, rather than import foreign species in.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Doesn't everyone have a narrator? I'd get very bored without the narrator.

Narrator: "No CelstialBadger wouldn't. On the next arrested development..."

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I'm sure other cultures have done it (as always), but again we see how western culture does it's best to be the worst at everything.

I'll see your Nile Perch in Lake Victoria, and raise you a Silver Carp in the Mississippi River!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Blarghy wrote: »

Agriculture is a relatively recent development in human history at about 12,000 or so years ago. Agriculture requires a stable human presence to tend to the crops, so once a particular group took up agriculture, they tended to stop migrating and settled in one place. It was also relatively hard to transport varieties of plants around into significantly different environments productively, so most early agricultural societies tended to use local plants that were already adapted to the local environment, rather than import foreign species in.

That makes sense. I guess I assumed they still had access to some form of "agriculture", even if it was just something small, but I guess if you have that solid of an understanding of how plants work, why wouldn't you just change over to agriculture on the whole.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Dandelions are not native to North America (or the several other places they've ended up)

There would maybe have been some cross-pollination via animals, seeds in fur and such. Pre-agriculture you would harvest wild plants and maybe some dried plants transported viable seeds

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Dandelions are not native to North America (or the several other places they've ended up)

There would maybe have been some cross-pollination via animals, seeds in fur and such. Pre-agriculture you would harvest wild plants and maybe some dried plants transported viable seeds

I feel like that could be one of those "we found spiders in space*" things, too?

*5km above the earth, not space

Edit: apparently their seed structure, is more efficient than a full parachute despite being 90% air, according to some scientific papers from 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/science/dandelion-flight-seeds.html
    NYTimes wrote:
    Everyone knows that the seeds, under silky, filamentous parachutes, ride the breeze far and wide. A mile is nothing — 60 miles or more is possible. But no one — that is to say, no scientists — had figured out the details of that flight

What they recorded surprised them. Above the pappus, the air flow took the form of something called a separated vortex ring, a kind of swirling eddy that had been considered a theoretical possibility, but was thought to be too unstable to exist in reality.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »

That makes sense. I guess I assumed they still had access to some form of "agriculture", even if it was just something small, but I guess if you have that solid of an understanding of how plants work, why wouldn't you just change over to agriculture on the whole.

The progress of Maize out of the tropics was basically this. It was a big thing that the New World is basically N/S and Old World is mostly E/W. Transporting plants along the same latitude is way easier than trying to move it north/south as a general rule.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I was thinking on what can go wrong in pissing off your military, and the Carnation Revolution https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnation_Revolution
    came to mind. It's kind of a misnomer, and more of a bad news gone right; basically a military coup triggered by lower level officers of rhe army that pushed by a long running colonial war rebelled, overthrew a fascist dictatorship, and resulted in a modern democratic government in Portugal. Along with the independency of its former colonies. Unfortunately the cold war being at its peak proxy civil wars immediately started in most of them, and continued until somewhat recently.

The revolution did kind of have a soundtrack. If you've watched the second season of money heist you may recognize the following:https://youtu.be/gaLWqy4e7ls

Basically a song by Zeca Afonso,about a city in Portugal where the people yield the power where everyone is equal , which was censored (duh) at the time was used as a signal that the coup was to proceed. The Army initially occupied the national radion and broadcast the song, marking the go ahead for the plan.

In Portugal the revolution was relatively bloodless: 4 people were killed when the secret police opened fire over a crowd that had gathered outside its headquarters. The name came as the population took to the streets, and started placing carnations in the soldiers weapons and armored carriers guns.

The coup had widespred popular support. And while initially Ussr aligned interests seemed to be on the cusp of taking power, leading to the CIA trying to evacuate several moderate resistance personalities, several of them refused to leave, and after what was internally know as the hot summer of 75, Portugal started having regular elections, and power has largely alternated between
    Center of left and center of right parties. The communist party is an active force, more on city races in the sourh, and there is unfortunately a far right party that reached nearly 10% of vote, but fortunately seem to have stabilized and don't seem poised to grow more. Supposedly, Franco's Spain briefly discussed invading, but fears of triggering an internal revolution aborted the plans.

On a Personal note, my birthday is almost exactly 9 months after the Revolution.my folks say it's a coincidence, but i'm not so sure :smile:

Edit: several typos

Aim on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Bradford Freeman, the last surviving member of the "Band of Brothers" Easy Company, has passed away at 97.

https://www.wflx.com/2022/07/06/bradford-freeman-last-band-brothers-survivor-has-died/

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Has anyone here read either of Christopher Wickham's books on the Early Middle Ages? I am trying to decide between Framing the Early Middle Ages and The Inheritance of Rome and am having trouble finding a good comparison of the two.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bradford Freeman, the last surviving member of the "Band of Brothers" Easy Company, has passed away at 97.

https://www.wflx.com/2022/07/06/bradford-freeman-last-band-brothers-survivor-has-died/

(awesome for him and not his passing obviously)

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Has anyone here read either of Christopher Wickham's books on the Early Middle Ages? I am trying to decide between Framing the Early Middle Ages and The Inheritance of Rome and am having trouble finding a good comparison of the two.

I'll wait for the audio books, and only if it's narrated by Christopher Walken.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I understand dandelions to be imported to the New World, as they were once considered an important food crop. (The entire plant is edible, is not exactly delicious.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I understand dandelions to be imported to the New World, as they were once considered an important food crop. (The entire plant is edible, is not exactly delicious.)

I've made dandelion jam last summer. I spent 4 hours separating the flowers from the stems to have enough for a recipe. I'm not doing that ever again.

Good jam though.

sig.gif