Options

You're [History], Like A Beat Up Car

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    There were a number of things that bugged me about the exhibit. The explanation of BCE/CE as before and after Year 0, referring to the Pharaoh as Cheops without so much as a passing mention to his Egyptian name Khufu, the "beautiful" Queen Cleopatra, or the fact they showed a giant statue head of Hatshepsut without taking the time to point out the carved lines of the rope holding her fake Pharaoh beard that were right there in plain view. But that explanation took the cake.

I mean all contemporary sources identify Cleopatra as beautiful. I understand the aggrevation for any other pharaoh without attribution, but let's take her contemporaries at their word in this instance.

Let's not. Her contemporaries are all roman writers firmly opposed to both Ceasar and later Mark Anthony, trying to depict them as men ruled by their dicks rather than intellect and rome's best interest. Pliny the elder also calls her a harlot queen.

Overall classic roman smear tactics.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Probably most young noblewomen were “beautiful” as they had decent nutrition and care growing up, as well as maids to do their hair and makeup and expensive clothes.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Does it really matter whether a 2000 year old dead lady was a 10 or just a 6 with a good stylist? Maybe we should give the poor girl the benefit of the doubt on this one?

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    I would also imagine if she were ugly the Roman commentators would make sure everyone knew it for all of time

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    There were a number of things that bugged me about the exhibit. The explanation of BCE/CE as before and after Year 0, referring to the Pharaoh as Cheops without so much as a passing mention to his Egyptian name Khufu, the "beautiful" Queen Cleopatra, or the fact they showed a giant statue head of Hatshepsut without taking the time to point out the carved lines of the rope holding her fake Pharaoh beard that were right there in plain view. But that explanation took the cake.

I mean all contemporary sources identify Cleopatra as beautiful. I understand the aggrevation for any other pharaoh without attribution, but let's take her contemporaries at their word in this instance.

Let's not. Her contemporaries are all roman writers firmly opposed to both Ceasar and later Mark Anthony, trying to depict them as men ruled by their dicks rather than intellect and rome's best interest. Pliny the elder also calls her a harlot queen.

Plinny the Elder also probably holds the record for "most factually incorrect statements made by a human in one lifetime".

• Options
    I’d guess that since this was prior to photography and she only visited Rome a couple of times very briefly very few of her Roman contemporaries had any clue what she looked like anyway.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I would also imagine if she were ugly the Roman commentators would make sure everyone knew it for all of time

Yeah. Even with the bias in place here, securing the province of Africa for yourself by marrying the local monarch is probably the major reason for these entanglements. Augustus made it the emeperors personal province following his consolidation of the empire, so Cleopatras beauty was not the driving reason why Caesar and Mark Antony took up with her so I am more inclined to take that description at face value.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

I thought she was most often described as "fascinating" or "captivating" as often as just good looking, as she spoke nine languages and was exceptionally well educated. Someone of great importance so a 'peer' of the other great rulers, without being the same kind of threat a male ruler would be, that is an interesting person to be around.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Tastyfish wrote: »

I thought she was most often described as "fascinating" or "captivating" as often as just good looking, as she spoke nine languages and was exceptionally well educated. Someone of great importance so a 'peer' of the other great rulers, without being the same kind of threat a male ruler would be, that is an interesting person to be around.

The description of Cleopatra as fascinating or captivating tends to be from authors who are not her contemporaries. Like Plutarch, born some 80 years after Cleopatras death. Plutarch has the advantage of being close enough in time to have much better source material than we do, and far away enough to be divorced from the petty politics of the era. However, being divorced from the politics of that era doesn't mean that roman historians don't have an agenda of their own. Taking a look at Cassius Dio (born 180 years after cleopatras death) and you again find political motives colouring the chronicles.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    From what we know of her, Cleopatra was a shrewd and savvy diplomat and politician, and was willing to use whatever was at her disposal, including her body, to advance her personal position and that of Egypt.

Patriarchal Rome did not like this, so it was flattened into her just being a seductress.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Plinny the Elder also probably holds the record for "most factually incorrect statements made by a human in one lifetime".

Donald Trump says "hello".

Actually, he says "goodbye", and also "I'm not really here at all", and also "I'm here and not going anywhere with a golden spotlight showering me in light to make sure you can't miss me", all at the same time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    If we're really unlucky future archeologists will discover a historical media cache...and it will all be Murdoch media.

• Options
    From what we know of her, Cleopatra was a shrewd and savvy diplomat and politician, and was willing to use whatever was at her disposal, including her body, to advance her personal position and that of Egypt.

Patriarchal Rome did not like this, so it was flattened into her just being a seductress.

"Patriarchal" is an understatement. The ideal Roman woman was one completely deferential and subservient to her husband. The idea of a strong woman was offensive to them.

The idea of a strong woman who was also god-queen of the richest and most ancient empire around and with whom not one but two married Roman leaders were in love and making babies, and who was clearly more shrewd and better educated and more capable than any of them... well let's just say that did not sit well with them.

Calling Cleopatra "beautiful" because Romans called her that is like writing a Hilary Clinton biography based entirely on what MAGA Republicans say about her.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Donald Trump says "hello".

Actually, he says "goodbye", and also "I'm not really here at all", and also "I'm here and not going anywhere with a golden spotlight showering me in light to make sure you can't miss me", all at the same time.

Donald Trump is a good argument for the veracity of ancient historians. We tend to dismiss more “colorful” anecdotes like Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned, as historians smearing leaders they didn’t like. But Trump would constantly do the weirdest shit. Suggesting that people consume bleach to cure COVID is the kind of bizarre action that later historians might have dismissed as hyperbole from his opponents: but we all saw it live on TV. Likewise, we can believe that Trump has a bizarre haircut because we’ve seen it: it’s not just hostile journalists mocking his looks for political reasons.

So I can quite believe that Cleopatra was stunning because it’s really not all that out there.

• Options
    What actual archeological evidence we have though points to Cleopatra being fairly average looking.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    What actual archeological evidence we have though points to Cleopatra being fairly average looking.

According to who though? Beauty is subjective and will vary from culture to culture and across time.

• Options

According to who though? Beauty is subjective and will vary from culture to culture and across time.

Well. She has some features which romans obviously felt were kind of hot but we don't these days (like a prominent hawknose), but given statues and art we have a fairly good idea of what romans and ptolemaic era egyptians considered hot or not.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Considering her family tree was more of a family tumbleweed, with the inbreeding and all, Cleopatra seems to have hit the genetic lottery, even if she looked ‘average’

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    A woman of great power prestige and accomplisment and all we are doing is arguing over how bonkable she was.

:/

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well she is mainly notable for having relationships with two of the first triumverate, and killing herself rather than be used as a spectacle. The last Greek ruler of Egypt. She essentially put all of her eggs in the baskets of Caesar & Antony, only Ocatvian/Agustus was triumphant. It wasn't overall a bad strategy, it's basically a Crusader Kings move, marry yourself into the ruling lines of the most powerful state and then try to get your children granted all their lands, it just didn't end up working out. But for those two things though she'd be a mostly unknown name in a list of rulers (see all the other regnal Cleopatras)

Rome more or less didn't care who ruled Egypt (see Roman Egypt being ruled by a lower ranked governor than the other provinces and allowing local religion to continue freely) as long as the grain flowed and the ruler had no real ambitions but once that changed the Ptolemys were done

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    A woman of great power prestige and accomplisment and all we are doing is arguing over how bonkable she was.

Those first two things don't seem to be under dispute.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well she is mainly notable for having relationships with two of the first triumverate, and killing herself rather than be used as a spectacle. The last Greek ruler of Egypt. She essentially put all of her eggs in the baskets of Caesar & Antony, only Ocatvian/Agustus was triumphant. It wasn't overall a bad strategy, it's basically a Crusader Kings move, marry yourself into the ruling lines of the most powerful state and then try to get your children granted all their lands, it just didn't end up working out. But for those two things though she'd be a mostly unknown name in a list of rulers (see all the other regnal Cleopatras)

Rome more or less didn't care who ruled Egypt (see Roman Egypt being ruled by a lower ranked governor than the other provinces and allowing local religion to continue freely) as long as the grain flowed and the ruler had no real ambitions but once that changed the Ptolemys were done

Antony was part of the Second Triumvirate, with Octavian and Lepidus.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

As rulers of Egypt yeah, but the Dynasty continued in other places for awhile, and didn't really die out so much as meld into the general lines of Roman nobility particularly in North Africa.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Sure, but it's just like.... how many times do you hear "the shrewd Cleopatra" or "the great Cleopatra" or "the accomplished Cleopatra" or whatever, vs "the beautiful Cleopatra"? Pretty sure for most people the latter outnumbers any other descriptor.

That compounds itself when you think of how few ancient female rulers we really talk about. So "beautiful" turns out to be one of the top descriptors for ancient female rulers in general. And then, when talking about male ancient historical figures, how often do you hear about "the handsome <x>"?

Something doesn't have to be false for it to still be indicative of a problem. Like many of these things, it's not a specific individual situation that makes the problem, but the combination of everything else to weave a tapestry that, as a whole, has problems.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Sure, but it's just like.... how many times do you hear "the shrewd Cleopatra" or "the great Cleopatra" or "the accomplished Cleopatra" or whatever, vs "the beautiful Cleopatra"? Pretty sure for most people the latter outnumbers any other descriptor.

That compounds itself when you think of how few ancient female rulers we really talk about. So "beautiful" turns out to be one of the top descriptors for ancient female rulers in general. And then, when talking about male ancient historical figures, how often do you hear about "the handsome <x>"?

Something doesn't have to be false for it to still be indicative of a problem. Like many of these things, it's not a specific individual situation that makes the problem, but the combination of everything else to weave a tapestry that, as a whole, has problems.

Not often, but you do have some inverses, like "the Fat" or "the Bald".

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

We need to anti-hagiography some contemporary notables for posterity.

For a first attempt I propose that we begin by espousing the deeds of Elon the Dumbass

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Honestly variations of "pretty boy" are not that uncommon for ancient and medieval rulers

We have Harald Hårfagr (Harald Pretty hair), king of norway. Charles le Bel (the handsome/beautiful), king of France. Geoffrey le Bel, Count of Anjou. Louis le Débonnaire (charming/beautiful), king of france. Fernando o Formoso (well-shaped/handsome), king of portugal. Felipe el Hermoso (same as Fernando, but spanish), king of spain. Radu cel Frumos (also well-shaped/handsome, but in Romanian), prince of Wallachia.

The list goes on, and I haven't even included the ones where it was used ironically or with a double meaning (like Ioannes, Byzantine emperor, who was called John the Beautiful because he was both exceptionally ugly but also exceptionally good).

Although speaking of Cognomens. My favorite cognomen is probably that of Joao II of Portugal, aka Juan el Hombre (John the Man). Although for modern viewers it should probably be translated as John "The Man". Posthumously known as Joao o Principe perfeito (John the perfect prince).

• Options
    Alexander the Great was also considered very handsome. But it’s generally not #1 in his bio.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Alexander the Great was also considered very handsome. But it’s generally not #1 in his bio.

Handsome, Cried, Bug-Nuts Crazy, Died Young.

He had a lot going on.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Also with the most fragile of egos. He's a guy that murders lifelong companions and razes cities because of minor or even imagined slights.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Cyrus the Great was also said to be pretty damn good looking.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Alexander's generally more well-known for the whole "33-year-old conquers the world" thing, yeah.

Here's a fun anecdote: when Julius Caesar was a quaestor (lowest-ranking public official, basically a treasurer and audior I think?) in Spain at age 31, he read the history of Alexander in his free time -
    In like manner we are told again that, in Spain, when he was at leisure and was reading from the history of Alexander, he was lost in thought for a long time, and then burst into tears. His friends were astonished, and asked the reason for his tears. "Do you not think," said he, "it is matter for sorrow that while Alexander, at my age, was already king of so many peoples, I have as yet achieved no brilliant success?"
    (- Life of Caesar, Plutarch)

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    ...We tend to dismiss more “colorful” anecdotes like Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned, as historians smearing leaders they didn’t like...

"Nero fiddled while Rome burned." Let's not let anything - like historical accuracy - get in the way of a solid English pun.

• Options
    Also with the most fragile of egos. He's a guy that murders lifelong companions and razes cities because of minor or even imagined slights.

Long term severe alcohol abuse is a hell of a drug.

• Options

The original fragile masculinity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Alcibiades comes to mind! The main things he was known for were a) being super hot, and b) being kind of a fucking chad as a result

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    spool32 wrote: »

Alcibiades comes to mind! The main things he was known for were a) being super hot, and b) being kind of a fucking chad as a result

https://youtu.be/kRLkjBUgB2o

(Depicting Alcibiades as uwu Henry Cavill will never stop being funny to me.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Her darwinan fitness was not that high for her status and access to nutrition. I don't think this is about bonkability, more what should be said about a historical figure when that descriptor is taken from possible propaganda and whether or not it's appropriate to reiterate in today's modern context as perpetuation of classic misonginst through lines.

We are missing the an elemental truth here, no matter how accomplished you are its always better to he accomplished and super bonkable than accomplished and not bonkable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    but what a nose, what a nose...!
    i think it was Plutarch who said Cleopatra's main draw was a combination of personality and wit rather than her conventional beauty

e: also, the Emperor Commodus was famously very handsome, among other things.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Cyrus the Great was also said to be pretty damn good looking.

A lot of rulers are said to be good looking, because even if they're no longer in power it usually doesn't pay to piss off their descendents but no one is going to care if you say they were hot

Sort of a Pascal's Wager situation

uH3IcEi.png