As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Asparagus thickness in American supermarkets tends to vary a lot depending on your location and also whether it's in season somewhere near there. Right now asparagus is really cheap in SoCal, like $1/lb, and the spears are very thin and not fibrous at all. 3 weeks ago it was at least $3/lb and like three times as thick.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Asparagus thickness in American supermarkets tends to vary a lot depending on your location and also whether it's in season somewhere near there. Right now asparagus is really cheap in SoCal, like $1/lb, and the spears are very thin and not fibrous at all. 3 weeks ago it was at least $3/lb and like three times as thick.

Yeah, in-season is definitely thinner and better.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019
    Gonna stake out a claim in the admittedly controversial opinion that everything is better in-season.

tynic on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Gonna stake out a claim in the admittedly controversial opinion that everything is better in-season.

It was SO DISAPPOINTING to learn that out-of-season fruit tastes like....nothing. It tastes like absolutely nothing. What's the point??

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I only eat Cheetos when they are in-season.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    NightDragon hmm I'd say it tastes a bit more herbal/grassier - less of that ASPARAGUS flavour (not sure what it does to your pee)

and yeah you're supposed to break off the bottoms. The stalks should snap naturally at the start of the tender portion, which is very convenient imo

Coolio! I wondered if it literally did taste grassier.

And yeah, asparagus does that to me. Apparently not to everyone though?...which is something I just learned recently.

AHA!
    sorry this ties into a great family argument but the truth is IT MAKES EVERYONE'S PEE STINK BUT SOME PEOPLE CAN'T SMELL IT
    apparently there is a gene that stops you smelling asparagus pee

so anyway my sister thought she didn't get asparagus pee and this turned into a whole argument over christmas dinner and culminated with my dad banging on the door of the toilet while she was in there shouting "DON'T YOU FLUSH!"

Fascinating! For me, asparagus pee is about as subtle as squirting an equivalent amount of lighter fluid into a public urinal, but if it's a genetic thing that makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, I'll try the trick of snapping off asparagus stalks where they get woody. It's possible I've been eating too much of the asparagus this whole time.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    According to my mom, who grew up on an asparagus farm, the stuff we have access to now does a pretty big disservice to the asparagus back in the 60s. It's not supposed to grow as long as it does, it's supposed to grow thicker. But if it grows longer, it lets them harvest it more often, so that's what they do.

I have no idea if she's just doing a "back in my day" or not.

• Options
    edited April 2019

It was SO DISAPPOINTING to learn that out-of-season fruit tastes like....nothing. It tastes like absolutely nothing. What's the point??

We were talking about this at work the other day - so, growing up my mother was big on eating seasonally, and between cost, effort, and the fact that unseasonal fruit/veg just doesn't taste as good I've pretty much stuck to that my whole life, even when living in places which fly in fruit from all over.

Anyway on thursday I had a HUGE watermelon craving out of the blue, and I abruptly realised that I only ever crave fresh fruit in late spring/summer (or apple cravings in autumn). I'll happily eat it all year round, because fruit is delicious, but my body only says "YOU MUST HAVE THIS NOW" when it matches the season. I dunno if I've just trained myself into this over the decades, or what.

tynic on
  • Options
    speaking of, fiddlefern and ramps season is just round the corner

• Options

We were talking about this at work the other day - so, growing up my mother was big on eating seasonally, and between cost, effort, and the fact that unseasonal fruit/veg just doesn't taste as good I've pretty much stuck to that my whole life, even when living in places which fly in fruit from all over.

Anyway on thursday I had a HUGE watermelon craving out of the blue, and I abruptly realised that I only ever crave fresh fruit in late spring/summer (or apple cravings in autumn). I'll happily eat it all year round, because fruit is delicious, but my body only says "YOU MUST HAVE THIS NOW" when it matches the season. I dunno if I've just trained myself into this over the decades, or what.

I honestly have the same thing. I noticed that last year or so too - I only really crave grapefruit or citrus during winter, when it's in season. Berries I crave in summer, apples in the fall.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Apparently I followed a lenten diet last Friday. Wife observes the dietary restrictions, I don't, and she's cool with that. She asked what I wanted her to pick up for lunch and we ended up deciding on this grilled cheese/melt place. She got a mac and cheese grilled cheese and I got a melt with crawfish and gator sausage. Looks like alligator is considered seafood for the sake of lent? I feel like I'd heard that before but just forgot. Either way, very tasty.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    A NEW KIND OF VEGETABLE FOR ME TO EAT?!? YAAAAAY

I genuinely get more excited about trying new fruits and vegetables than eating my favourite existing foods, and I've never seen grass asparagus (grrmusha's picture looks like normal, skinny asparagus to me, though).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

I realized that was kind of a duhhhh thing after u posted, but I'm so used to most produce looking the same year round in the big supermarkets that the stark difference between in-season and out of season asparagus always takes me by surprise.

• Options
    I'm always down to try any new veggies or fruits.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Like I've always been a bit curious about this asparagus pee thing.

Why are you people smelling your urine ?

I have such a bad sense of smell it's basically a rounding error, and even I can smell asparagus pee as I'm... well, you know--peeing it. No need to shove my face into a toilet for a whiff.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I sometimes wish I had a worse sense of smell. Or maybe just a less sensitive stomach. Smelling nice things is very wonderful! But I have a sensitive gag reflex and can't handle a lot of bad smells, mostly if they're food-based.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm always down to try any new veggies or fruits.

I have a pretty killer Titan Arum and Symplocarpus salad that I think you should try.

• Options
    I was just served the biggest burrito I've ever been served that wasn't explicitly an eating challenge
    Spoilered for massive burrito. The picture doesn't even do the scale justice:
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Let's put these petty barbecue squabbles behind us, and come together behind something we can surely all agree on.

This reminds me of an app from a planet wings sport bar. Nachos: Tortilla rounds on a plate, half a can of refried beans(still in the shape of the can), topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. The waitress dropped it off at the table like nothing was wrong. =\

2gn25v118ymg.png

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Let's put these petty barbecue squabbles behind us, and come together behind something we can surely all agree on.

This reminds me of an app from a planet wings sport bar. Nachos: Tortilla rounds on a plate, half a can of refried beans(still in the shape of the can), topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. The waitress dropped it off at the table like nothing was wrong. =\

2gn25v118ymg.png

Every now and then I'll have what I call lazy nachos, which involves a bag of chips, a bowl of salsa, a brick of Tillamook and a knife...which winds up being more labor-intensive than just cooking a batch because you have to prepare your chips one at a time.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

2gn25v118ymg.png

Meet my in-laws. This is what they call nachos but with kraft singles microwaved on doritos.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    instead of trimming the stems, my family usually peeled the bottom of the asparagus

maybe trimmed off the really woody bit at the bottom

wild asparagus are real nice as well

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    When I was visiting Belgium for work a few years back it must have been asparagus season because there was asparagus all over the damn place

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I honestly have the same thing. I noticed that last year or so too - I only really crave grapefruit or citrus during winter, when it's in season. Berries I crave in summer, apples in the fall.

It is SO hard to readjust this moving hemispheres.

I still crave apples and pumpkin and autumn things in September, but it's Spring.

The other seasons I'm getting better at, but I still struggle with autumn.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I was just served the biggest burrito I've ever been served that wasn't explicitly an eating challenge
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

Really talk, there’s a spot called Pepe’s in Southern California, and their burritos are big, big boys. About that size, maybe a bit bigger.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    When I was visiting Belgium for work a few years back it must have been asparagus season because there was asparagus all over the damn place

Oh its always asparagus season somewhere.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yesterday we did some cleaning at the house and worked up an appetite.

So we went to a local restaurant known for its huge portions and I once again got the biggest god-damn meal of my life.

The Don't Be a Chicken Meal

Don-t-Be-A-Chicken-Meal.jpg
    Our 12-ounce chicken fried steak loaded on a split biscuit, double loaded w/ SOS gravy, spuds, gramma eggs, cheese & grilled onions. Served w/ cornbread!

I ate a third of it, it was the only thing I ate for the entire day and I'm still full.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    2iup3dtplnmh.jpg
    They've started selling these fruits over here a while ago
    Looks like it came from another planet or something

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nickelodeon lookin' fruit right there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    That's a Pokemon.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

So we went to a local restaurant known for its huge portions and I once again got the biggest god-damn meal of my life.

Our 12-ounce chicken fried steak loaded on a split biscuit, double loaded w/ SOS gravy, spuds, gramma eggs, cheese & grilled onions. Served w/ cornbread!

I ate a third of it, it was the only thing I ate for the entire day and I'm still full.

I'll admit to some curiosity here.
    What's a gramma egg?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    sarukun wrote: »
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

Really talk, there’s a spot called Pepe’s in Southern California, and their burritos are big, big boys. About that size, maybe a bit bigger.

Did you ever go to SuperMex in Long Beach? I'm told they've expanded, went along with the gentrification, but when I was a kid, they would put a tortilla in the bottom of a bread pan about 10"x4", fill it up with your burrito, and put another tortilla over the top. It was quite lovely and not anything I would consider doing today. (I don't think it's available any more anyway)

chromdom on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

What's a gramma egg?

This, and also what's SOS gravy?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

What's a gramma egg?

Gramma eggs are eggs scrambled with melted cheese, bacon, ham, & sausage.

I believe SOS ("Shit on a Shingle") gravy is where the gravy has some form of meat in it, creamed beef for this establishment.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Gramma eggs are apparently eggs scrambled with melted cheese, bacon, ham and sausage

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Perfect timing Janson

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    D’oh!

Anya made her salad yesterday which is: oranges, carrots, cucumbers, cheese sticks and diced cheddar cheese.

The kids actually really like it, too.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    2iup3dtplnmh.jpg
    They've started selling these fruits over here a while ago
    Looks like it came from another planet or something

That looks a lot like the holy fruit from Dragon Ball Z's Tree of Might.

8b48128ab43a052881e5f78e39a784aa8539fc67_hq.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    gf0tb0j093om.jpg

“Medium”.

I'm gonna need location details

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

What's a gramma egg?

Gramma eggs are eggs scrambled with melted cheese, bacon, ham, & sausage.

I believe SOS ("Shit on a Shingle") gravy is where the gravy has some form of meat in it, creamed beef for this establishment.

Yeah, SOS is typically creamed chipped beef served on toast. Never heard of it being made into a gravy, but it sounds tasty.

This discussion has been closed.