Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Which one is the horde warchief they'll have to put down?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wrong thread

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I watched it briefly but my thought was she was trying to find their parents.

I have no idea though

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Going back to Frozen 2 trailer, I was assuming that elsa was training against the ocean because they found some information that their parents who were lost in a storm at sea were actually alive somewhere, and I sincerely hope that's not the plot because I think that would be lame.

I figured she was using impromptu exposure therapy to get past her phobia of storms (brought on by the death of her parents) then, being Elsa, getting annoyed and icing it because fuck you, I have cryokinesis.
    And also, maybe Anna got kidnapped and is on the other side of that storm somewhere.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Chris Evans has had to drop out of Netflix's The Devil All the Time due to scheduling conflicts.

He is being replaced by

Sebastian Stan

@Theodore Floosevelt

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Chris Evans has had to drop out of Netflix's The Devil All the Time due to scheduling conflicts.

He is being replaced by

Sebastian Stan

@Theodore Floosevelt

finally, reciprocation!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The lighting and the animation is what sold me on that Frozen II trailer. Really proves how lighting can set a mood.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My roommate's girlfriend is coming over tonight and I guess we're all going to have a communal movie night?

Last time we had that, I won our movie-voting system and put on Drive Angry.

She hated it. HATED IT. She brings it up a lot to her boyfriend.

So, with it being Valentine's Day, I am going to follow that up with Nic Cage's most romantic offering.

Con-Air

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How do you keep winning the vote

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    ballot stuffing

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    "Oh weird everyone voted for Con-Air"

"What do you mean voted, voted for what"

"TIME TO WATCH CON-AIR"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    How do you keep winning the vote

I've actually lost the last couple of votes.

I just win the really important ones.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When do you make them watch Bad Lieutenant?

• Options
    When do you make them watch Bad Lieutenant?

Obviously on Mardi Gras.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would think if you wanted romantic Nic Cage you would go for Vampire's Kiss

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Romantic Nic Cage is Raising Arizona all the fuckin' way

• Options
    But do any of those films have a song as deeply romantic as “How Do I Live”???

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I got the distinct impression that Elsa was recently shipwrecked and isolated, and that she was learning in the flyn how to escape from a deserted island.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Apparently Rian Johnson hangs up a bunch of new posters in his editing suite for each film he does, changing them out each time.

Knives Out is in editing now, and the walls are covered with a dozen different classic mystery/thriller movies

And also this

I love Rian Johnson

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I bet you Rian Johnson wishes he directed Detective Pikachu

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Deadline confirm the attempt at rebooting Pirates of the Caribbean (sans Depp) is already failing, writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Deadpool) have abandoned ship

Variety's Justin Kroll says he heard at one point Guy Ritchie was the top choice to direct, which...I know I've said Idris Elba has the worst agent in Hollywood, but Ritchie to put it politely might have the best agent

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    GOOD IT HAD BETTER FAIL!

YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP REBOOTING FRANCHISES WITHIN YEARS OF THE LAST MOVIE GODDAMN IT!

FFS enough money has been burned on that fucking franchise it should be sunk to the bottom of the ocean for all of time.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Guy Ritchie is the poster boy for white men getting infinite chances in Hollywood

He directed 1 very successful movie between 2000 and 2008, Snatch

Then the two Sherlock Holmes movies were massive successes

Then his next 2 movies, The Man from UNCLE and King Arthur, flop INCREDIBLY hard and were very expensive

Then he gets Aladdin which is plagued with controversy basically from the word go and has the least amount of positive buzz of any recent Disney remake

Yet he is still in the running for something like a dang Pirates reboot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    But I want my pirate movies!

• Options
    Man From UNCLE was pretty good at least

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    GOOD IT HAD BETTER FAIL!

YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP REBOOTING FRANCHISES WITHIN YEARS OF THE LAST MOVIE GODDAMN IT!

FFS enough money has been burned on that fucking franchise it should be sunk to the bottom of the ocean for all of time.

Ah, and then they have to steal it years later... Fellas, fire up your typewriters, I’ve got a new movie idea!

Pirates Of Pirates Of The Carribean!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    From directing King Arthur to directing
    Will Smith in Aladdin

DzFtqF1UUAAM8Xy.jpg

to almost directing nuPirates. Back to back to back

I'm almost impressed

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Oh I love Man From UNCLE but it was not a successful movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Wait

There is a character in Dune named Duncan Idaho?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    @Atomika I need your thoughts.

I think it's kind of perfect.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Wait

There is a character in Dune named Duncan Idaho?

Depending on how much Dune you read

He is the most important character in the entire series

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Guy Ritchie is the poster boy for white men getting infinite chances in Hollywood

He directed 1 very successful movie between 2000 and 2008, Snatch

Then the two Sherlock Holmes movies were massive successes

Then his next 2 movies, The Man from UNCLE and King Arthur, flop INCREDIBLY hard and were very expensive

Then he gets Aladdin which is plagued with controversy basically from the word go and has the least amount of positive buzz of any recent Disney remake

Yet he is still in the running for something like a dang Pirates reboot

I'm not saying that the idea of white men getting too many chances isn't true (it absolutely is), but Richie at least had a couple of bangers in there, and has proven he can at least make critical darlings (lock stock, snatch, the Sherlock movies, I think people like Man From Uncle?). You could probably aim this just as much at the decidedly not-white M Night Shyamalan who had a string of complete fucking disasters that I think may be unmatched in recent Hollywood history.

It seems more like once you're In in Hollywood and know the right people, you will continue to get chances no matter what. If you've shown you can have a hit, investors will always go "I bet a hit is coming, he's due for one", and they just don't let women (or most poc) get a foot in the door at all.

There are also weird cases like Kevin Smith, who looks like a failing director but always makes everyone money, no matter what. He arranges things so that everyone is paid whether the movie bombs or not, he's just a very clever money man who works exceptionally well on a budget. I think Scott Mosier might be a literal genius when it comes to production and making the money work.

• Options
    It may not be solely limited to white men but there is absolutely a documented pattern of male directors getting second and third and fourth and fifth chances after flops meanwhile if a female director has an unsuccessful film they get thrown into Movie Jail for a decade, if not forever.

Kathryn Bigelow being the biggest example

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It may not be solely limited to white men but there is absolutely a documented pattern of male directors getting second and third and fourth and fifth chances after flops meanwhile if a female director has an unsuccessful film they get thrown into Movie Jail for a decade, if not forever.

Yeah, it's fucked. The Old Boys network is awful. I'm pretty sure if Jordan Peel has a single flop he'll get thrown straight in a fire too.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    M. Night also largely finances his own films these days if I recall correctly

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, it's fucked. The Old Boys network is awful. I'm pretty sure if Jordan Peel has a single flop he'll get thrown straight in a fire too.
    I think he has played it smart enough that he is in a good spot

He has really developed his production company and they are involved in a whole lot of projects so if a single thing he does flops, he has like 4 other irons already in the fire.

Did you know he co-created a sci-fi social commentary comedy show, Weird City, with Steven Yeun, Gillian Jacobs, LeVar Burton and more?

And that it is free on Youtube and came out yesterday?

Dude is keeping BUSY

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    shyamalan's box office record is actually pretty good, his last three movies all made big returns because they were filmed with a small budget. he'll probably never get a $100 million+ budget movie again because both of his flopped, but I think producers are quite happy to throw him <$20 million

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    shyamalan's box office record is actually pretty good, his last three movies all made big returns because they were filmed with a small budget. he'll probably never get a $100 million+ budget movie again because both of his flopped, but I think producers are quite happy to throw him <$20 million
    That's really my complaint with Ritchie

He keeps getting these gigantic, expensive movies despite having his last 2 stabs flop hard

Aladdin will almost certainly not flop, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't as big of a success as they would like. Especially compared to Lion King later this year.

If he was doing, like, 40-60 million flicks then sure okay

But he had a 75 million dollar movie make 43 domestic

A 175 million movie make 39 million domestic

And then he gets a movie that has a reported 200 million budget! That's nuts!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes it feels like hollywood is like american credit where bad credit is better than no credit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.