As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My sister collected them for years and yes I had an Opinion on which was the best. I don't remember which it was now, just that I felt very strongly about the hierarchy.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    My sister collected them for years and yes I had an Opinion on which was the best. I don't remember which it was now, just that I felt very strongly about the hierarchy.

my favorite was Josefina

Shes a Mexican girl living in New Mexico in the early 1800s and the book I read with her as the protagonist was kind of about how fucked over Mexico got when they opened trade with america

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have never heard of these dolls before, this is all fascinating

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I had never watched Logan's Run before, so I watched Logan's Run, and now I have seen Logan's Run

In it was a character named Logan, and he did run at some points

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I feel like I remember years ago around her oscar win anytime she was brought up people just hated her, and I don't know why.
    Vox seems to have some of it documented
    Cultural misogyny seems like it can be especially potent with anything that's associated with teenage girls. Anne Hathaway's first big movie (Princess Diaries) was a teenage girl wish fulfillment movie and the article notes that people insult her by calling her a "theatre kid" - a phrase that evokes the specter of the dread teenage girl. (Edit: what was all that Titanic and Leo hate back in the day except thinly-vieled hatred of Titanic’s young female fan base.)

wandering on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I had never watched Logan's Run before, so I watched Logan's Run, and now I have seen Logan's Run

In it was a character named Logan, and he did run at some points

Do you feel like he ran enough?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I was left wanting

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKsc2I4Tgsk

Edit: Glad there's no problem in general for movies to get David Bowie music, just that one.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Bobs Burgers episode with the American Girl analogues is really good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have never heard of these dolls before, this is all fascinating
    Their creepy stores make them ripe for comedy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJpaQWWgaC8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuC3fkIAk4w

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I feel like I remember years ago around her oscar win anytime she was brought up people just hated her, and I don't know why.
    Cultural misogyny seems like it can be especially potent with anything that's associated with teenage girls. Anne Hathaway's first big movie (Princess Diaries) was a teenage girl wish fulfillment movie and the article notes that people insult her by calling her a "theatre kid" - a phrase that evokes the specter of the dread teenage girl. (Edit: what was all that Titanic and Leo hate back in the day except thinly-vieled hatred of Titanic’s young female fan base.)

Lindsay Ellis has argued the overreaction to the Twilight books is a similar thing.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Lindsay Ellis has argued the overreaction to the Twilight books is a similar thing.

Given how much misogyny and general male gaze-iness those books contain on their own (despite having been written by a woman), I find that argument hard to swallow.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKsc2I4Tgsk

Edit: Glad there's no problem in general for movies to get David Bowie music, just that one.

That looks adorable and I am on board.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Given how much misogyny and general male gaze-iness those books contain on their own (despite having been written by a woman), I find that argument hard to swallow.

I think both the twilight books and the reaction to the twilight books are both pretty bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I think both the twilight books and the reaction to the twilight books are both pretty bad

Yeah okay I'd agree with this.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I mean, I call her a Theater Kid, but that's an affectionate term to me. I'm a theater kid. A lot of my friends are theater kids. There is a certain attitude and approach to performance that theater kids seem to have in common.

I also think Lady Gaga is a theater kid. Zac Efron is definitely a theater kid.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I think both can be true! I’ve never read them but I can believe that the books have some regressive, unfeminist ideas, and, at the same time, that a lot of the hatred boils down to “ewwwwwww that’s girl stuff”

wandering on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    She never argued that the books were good. She just was making the point that plenty of equally bad garbage aimed at boys never gets commented on in the same way.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Doesn't Twilight have a grown man in love with a baby? That's quite... special.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Remember Eragon?

Awful garbage

That I fucking loved

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Team jacob

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    is jacob the one who really wants to fuck a baby, or the one who really wants to fuck a fourteen year old?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    is jacob the one who really wants to fuck a baby, or the one who really wants to fuck a fourteen year old?

Yes

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Yes

oh, cool

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There was a YouTube video that was just Jeremy Irons beating the Eragon child with a stick over and over and over again but I can't find it, see it in your minds eye

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Remember Eragon?

Awful garbage

That I fucking loved

There's a new book out and I'm trying to figure out if I really want to read it

My worry is there wouldn't be enough Roran

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DovnHrIwfTY

A crime syndicate places a hit on a billionaire's daughter, making her the target of an elite assassin squad. A small band of down-and-out mercenaries protects her, fighting tooth and nail to stop the assassins from reaching their target.

Coming to BluRay and DVD May 14, Triple Threat stars Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais and Tiger Chen

Cast also includes Michael Jai White, Michael Bisping, Celina Jade (Wolf Warrior 2), and Jeeja Yanin (Never Back Down: No Surrender)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Remember Eragon?

Awful garbage

That I fucking loved

There's a new book out and I'm trying to figure out if I really want to read it

My worry is there wouldn't be enough Roran

what

A new one?!?

• Options
    Triple Threat has been done for literally years

so im really really curious why it just sat on the shelf forever

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/N4ITyopylVw

You're all very welcome for the deck image

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lickitung!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I still probably won't see that but only because I hate ryan reynolds

I love all the gross pokemon

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can't wait for Detective Pikachu

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/N4ITyopylVw

You're all very welcome for the deck image

NO

no.

• Options
    Love that lickitung

Do not like pikachu fart jokes

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have zero actual interest in Detective Pikachu, as I don't care for Pokemon nor Ryan Reynolds

But all of these horrifyingly realistic Pokemon are fantastic

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    All the Pokemon designs so far are perfect

I love those Bulbasaurs so much

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Love that lickitung

Look if these things are going to be depicted with this level of fidelity it is inevitable that they have assholes and what do assholes do my friend, what do assholes do

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Love that lickitung

Look if these things are going to be depicted with this level of fidelity it is inevitable that they have assholes and what do assholes do my friend, what do assholes do

Post on the penny arcade forums

This discussion has been closed.