Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Guy Fit she's version is more true to the books than most.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Webb is a good fit for Your Name and I will fight people if they disagree with me

he did the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pilot and the Limitless pilot, and 500 Days of Summer has to juggle a lot of narrative stuff visually

he’ll be fine

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As a fan of Guy Ritchie's Sherlocl Holmes films, the single best thing about them is the relationship between Holmes and Watson.

They absolutely sell that these two dudes are best friends.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows might be my favorite adventure movie?

Early 20th century super-scientist James Bond is surprisingly right up my alley.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey, y’all ever hear of a movie called Pop Star?

Pretty funny movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Pop Star is a goddamn masterpiece

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Marc Webb has been tapped to direct the live action remake of Your Name

I liked 500 Days of Summer when it came out but have not watched it since and have a feeling it has aged very poorly

Not really confident in this one at all

I'm not confident in the live-action remake of Your Name at all because its absolutely gorgeous animation is a huge part of the draw, and also because a lot of it feels rooted in Japan and its recent history (to say more would be getting into spoiler territory).

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    My wife and have been meaning to watch it for ages. We both loved it.

My only knock is that one scene. In the car. When the window goes down. It’s so good, everything else seems a little less good in comparison.
    The way that dong just sputters on the glass as the window is going down.

Perfection.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I liked 500 Days of Summer when it came out but have not watched it since and have a feeling it has aged very poorly

I'm not confident in the live-action remake of Your Name at all because its absolutely gorgeous animation is a huge part of the draw, and also because a lot of it feels rooted in Japan and its recent history (to say more would be getting into spoiler territory).
    I agree but if I recall right the director of Your Name said that he was fine with a remake and would like to see what an American equivalent would be rather than just doing the same story he did.

It was a while ago though so I might be misremembering

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I agree but if I recall right the director of Your Name said that he was fine with a remake and would like to see what an American equivalent would be rather than just doing the same story he did.

It was a while ago though so I might be misremembering

Japanese creators are not known for speaking candidly about things to begin with.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    The Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes character is an opium fiend/coked out madman who’s always either judo fighting someone, scaring Watson by appearing in an unexpected place and pulling off a disguise, or lengthily pontificating about he solved the crime 30 minutes ago. Seems to track pretty well with the ritchie movies to me.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Sherlock Holmes is barely a character in the books, just a tool with which to deliver condescension

I'm not sure any adaptation has really captured that, thank goodness

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes is barely a character in the books, just a tool with which to deliver condescension

basil rathbone

• Options
    Oh hey so here's the synopsis for the live-action Your Name film:
    A young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies. When a disaster threatens to upend their lives, they must journey to meet and save their worlds.

Really looking forward to some made-up tribal spiritualism! :mad:

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh hey so here's the synopsis for the live-action Your Name film:
    A young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies. When a disaster threatens to upend their lives, they must journey to meet and save their worlds.

Really looking forward to some made-up tribal spiritualism! :mad:

Oh boy

I have a bad feeling about this

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

looks like someone never watched the bbc sherlock

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Jesus christ you dont need to explain the magic

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/1CLU1eNMvpw
    This one, however, is good

This is great, I also like the postmodern jukebox one

https://youtu.be/Tv94swj4sjo

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    We watched First Man last night

pretty much all I wanted out of it was Damien Chazelle to prove he can do more than just one thing and he sure as hell did, that movie should clean up at the technical Oscars, the sound especially, good lord

never go to space

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, the way all the rocket starts and flights were shot and their sound design/editing/mixing is really good.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

so i knew the oscars were bullshit, but not that the voters were just stupid

thats good to know

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

so i knew the oscars were bullshit, but not that the voters were just stupid

thats good to know

The voters are Hollywood elite. Of course they're stupid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

While I can't believe that an American Doll branded kid's movie is necessary, I know someone who met his wife working security at an American Doll store so I can't hate them that much.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Help. I've had ENA from Lego movie 2 stuck in my head for a week now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Coinage wrote: »

While I can't believe that an American Doll branded kid's movie is necessary, I know someone who met his wife working security at an American Doll store so I can't hate them that much.

They've already made an american girl movie!

About Kitt Kittredge!

Specifically the doll in that photo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_tl7YF2tFc

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I mean is any movie necessary?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Not sure I've ever heard anyone argue to the contrary tbh.

Like I can't remember the last time I saw someone talk about Anne Hathaway and it wasn't just glowingly positive.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like I remember years ago around her oscar win anytime she was brought up people just hated her, and I don't know why.
    Vox seems to have some of it documented

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I hope new Dewne does well, but there is something special about the original film adaptation. Mostly the sheer, joyous narm.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

Gremlins 2?

• Options

Gremlins 2?

Exception that proves the rule

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Supposedly, The Irishman is out this year. So I've gone back and watched some old Scorsese, some of which I've never seen before. Boxcar Bertha, Mean Streets and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, all made in a 3 year period.

Boxcar Bertha, you can't even tell it's him, 'cept maybe his cameo in it. Pure Corman hicksploitation but you know? I expected worse. It looks like what it is, Corman! Fast, cheap, violent and boobs. Plenty of Corman joints are damn near unwatchable but this was not terrible. It's on Prime, too.

Mean Streets, I have seen before. It's interesting how close this is to what he'd make once he had some years, money and coke under his belt. It's good, real good. Very raw, it's missing that polish he'd acquire, and it's got that 70's talky, floaty, rambleness to it that I'm quite a fan of.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore I finished last night and it's even more Scorsese than Mean Streets, it's kinda wild. Lots of big camera moves and the occasional needle drop. It flags kinda hard towards the end when the kid just starts being a total shit, but Burstyn is amazing and this is the first time I've seen Kris Kristofferson so young and it was a little weird.

The Latz Waltz is next on my list, which I've seen before and it is very good, but it's also on Prime and the music kicks. Also the stories about early movie tech removal stuff, like having to get go frame by frame to get rid of the huge cocaine mess around Neil Diamond's nose, shit like that, it's like looking for Superman's mustache of the 70's.

• Options

About Kitt Kittredge!

Wow Zack you sure do know a lot about American Girl dolls. Is there an interesting story or anecdote related to that?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

About Kitt Kittredge!

Wow Zack you sure do know a lot about American Girl dolls. Is there an interesting story or anecdote related to that?

why do i continue to bring you into my confidence

• Options
    Fuck, man, I don't know

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I know a lot about serial murderers and historical atrocities similar dynamic I imagine

• Options
    my sister was obsessed with american girls when I was a kid, but my parents didnt really get the internet, so it was my job to scour Ebay and stuff as a 10 year old looking for American Girls and their accessories

thing is each Girl has specific accessories that are only for their time period so I spent a lot of time reading about each of them trying to get the right shit for birthdays and stuff

Here 10 year old please buy things on the internet with my credit card

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah American Girl lore is surprisingly deep, and everyone I've ever met who knows American Girls has fierce opinions on all of them

There's a store here in Chicago, and they have like, a full cafe and spa for the dolls too

This discussion has been closed.