As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Seems Captain Marvel is being review bombed on certain sites already due to Larson's pro feminist statements.

Isn't that movie not out for like another month?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I preface this by saying this is not a joke, here's the link if you don't believe me and here's another just in case

In 1968 the Banana Splits (kid-friendly animal characters named Bingo, Fleegle, Drooper and Snorky) were introduced as part of the Hanna-Barbera variety program The Banana Splits Adventure Hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl6HnhFFIA

It's being revived as a horror thriller film, with digital media release from Warner Home Entertainment and airing on Syfy soon after

A boy named Harley and his family (brother Austin, mother Beth, and father Mitch) attend a taping of The Banana Splits TV show, which is supposed to be a fun-filled birthday for young Harley and business as usual for Rebecca, the producer of the series. But things take an unexpected turn — and the body count quickly rises. Can Harley, his mom and their new pals safely escape?

Stars Dani Kind (Wynonna Earp), Finlay Wojtak-Hissong (Kindness of Strangers), Romeo Carere, Steve Lund (Schitt’s Creek) and Sara Canning (Vampire Diaries)
    Directed by Danishka Esterhazy (Level 16)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Now you see the flaw inherent in the system

• Options
    So knock off five nights at freddys?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Seems Captain Marvel is being review bombed on certain sites already due to Larson's pro feminist statements.

Isn't that movie not out for like another month?

two weeks from this Friday, actually

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Would they do it as a retro style so it takes place in the late 60's early 70's as I feel visually would fit but I feel they are going to do the knock off five nights a poor copy

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Are they still making the Five Nights at Freddy's movie?

I feel like the phenomenon is swiftly waning.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So knock off five nights at freddys?

More like harnessing that Five Nights at Freddy's energy

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I mean that’s been the secret trajectory of Bond’s over the years.

They purposely choose actors they don’t think is bigger than the character.

Well either that, or any actor worth that money is secure enough that they don’t need Bond money and the baggage it comes with, so they have to go the B+/A- route

They had to offer Daniel Craig an obscene amount of money for him to come back again. Something like 50 million pounds, iirc? I think he said he intends to use it to fund a charitable foundation or something.

• Options
    Are they still making the Five Nights at Freddy's movie?

I feel like the phenomenon is swiftly waning.

To be a true five nights movie it should just come out all of a sudden and in half the theaters stop working for no real reason.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I liked how the story was in the last couple of Bond movies just not how it played out as that seemed forced and poorly thought of as if they worked backwards from the reveal to the loose ends of Spectre he was chasing down or finding.

It would be neat to do again but having Bond with a personal stake in it seems disjointed

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Started watching Hereditary. Got as far as
    seeing her mom standing in the corner when she turns the lights out
    and I might be noping out of this one. The chill down my spine hasn’t gone away yet.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I would like to see James Bond that isn’t so deeply rooted in Cold War toxic masculinity, but then my knee jerk to that idea is “then just make it it’s own thing”, but then I hear the wailing chorus of marketing execs howling “BRAAAAAANDIIIIIIIIING!!!”

My interior monologue is less Shakespeare and more like a subway station in New York at rush hour.

sarukun on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    and I might be noping out of this one. The chill down my spine hasn’t gone away yet.

Oh just wait

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

That’s like, early, right?

The movie only gets more and more fucked up so you probably picked a good spot to flee if you wanted to sleep for the next week or so.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

No, I did not flee. I kept watching. And now I know why people talked about
    the car scene
    the way that they did. Because see my first line above. That they actually went for it and showed the aftermath a little later was ... yeah, first line above.

I thought people said this was more unsettling than anything else, but they were liars, or I’m confusing it with The VVitch. I clearly was confusing it with The VVitch.

Edit: I’m only 40 minutes in. How much is one person supposed to ta—oh, two hours, that seems reasonable. :rotate:

Fawst on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I’m actually gonna put content warnngs for Hereditary in a spoiler because I think it’s worth warning some of the more sensitive folks around here, but it’s a plot sensitive thing.
    on screen child death, extreme gore

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I spoiled myself on Hereditary and I'm glad I did because I have always been completely unable to engage with plots that involve
    demonic possession.
    No idea why! I happily accept all manner of equally unlikely things in films on the regular, but for whatever reason that one just totally kills my ability to enjoy a film. Ruined
    Paranormal Activity
    for me too.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hereditary really never lets up, but if you can make it through that scene, you can make it to the end.

And when you do, listen to this:
    I’ve posted this before, but it’s just so good.
    https://youtu.be/MVnSFj6XQZY

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    All the crazy shit that happens in Die Another Day] and none of you mentioned the craziest

The main villain is a North Korean man who got plastic surgery to look like a British man

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    All the crazy shit that happens in Die Another Day] and none of you mentioned the craziest

The main villain is a North Korean man who got plastic surgery to look like a British man

I don't know if I'd call that the craziest thing in Die Another Day.

The villain controlling a solar-laser cannon from space with an M.Bison electricity breastplate might be though.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I just saw the suggestion of Robert Pattinson as the new Batman and hoo boy I like it

His career the past few years has shown he's fuckin good and also possesses the specific flavor of weird, borderline unhinged energy you want in a Batman

Also, that's Bruce Wayne:
    pjl3phxm4n8d.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I hate it.

• Options
    He should take those sharp angular cheekbones and use them to shave off that stubble

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sorry which CW actor were you wanting to cast instead

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    David Schwimmer as Batman

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Sorry which CW actor were you wanting to cast instead

All of them.

• Options
    The main kid from Jumanji is really, really good in this.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    knitdan wrote: »
    David Schwimmer as Batman

15wi3p1.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I couldn’t see Pattinson chomping at the bit to play a character in another big franchise, tbh. He seems content to seek out the weirder / less mainstream directors and do their stuff. Not saying he wouldn’t be good, though!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I couldn’t see Pattinson chomping at the bit to play a character in another big franchise, tbh. He seems content to seek out the weirder / less mainstream directors and do their stuff. Not saying he wouldn’t be good, though!

Hard to say whether thats his choice or just the only ones that will take him between his TV sitcom star level of recognizability, the legion of people who might be squeamish about going to a movie staring the twilight guy, and the open contempt he showed towards twilight the entire time he was meant to be advertising it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Emma Thompson is a boss
    jcJu5vT.jpg?1

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Emma Thompson as Batman

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Emma Thompson as Batman

Most charismatic Bruce Wayne yet

• Options
    I’m going to need . . . a lot of time to process Hereditary. But my immediate thought is that it’s one of the best horror films I’ve ever seen, on many levels, and it absolutely got fucking snubbed by not being nominated for Best Picture.
    Hereditary really never lets up, but if you can make it through that scene, you can make it to the end.

The music is so damn good! I’ll be on the lookout for the eventual Mondo vinyl release (or whoever they work with that does those).

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I just saw the suggestion of Robert Pattinson as the new Batman and hoo boy I like it

His career the past few years has shown he's fuckin good and also possesses the specific flavor of weird, borderline unhinged energy you want in a Batman

Also, that's Bruce Wayne:
    pjl3phxm4n8d.jpg

The fits with that twitter theory I saw that says all good Batmen have crazy eyebrows

The exception is Adam West, but he had eyebrows painted on his cowl so it counts

Joolander on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gonna be honest here

I kind of like him better as The Joker.

Edit: Yeah, the more I look at him the more it seems like he’s got a lot of the sharp features of TAS Joker.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Mad Hatter.

Yes, I'm comparing him to the dude in Gotham.

sig.gif
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m going to need . . . a lot of time to process Hereditary. But my immediate thought is that it’s one of the best horror films I’ve ever seen, on many levels, and it absolutely got fucking snubbed by not being nominated for Best Picture.

The music is so damn good! I’ll be on the lookout for the eventual Mondo vinyl release (or whoever they work with that does those).

Do you know Colin Stetson’s work outside of Hereditary? He’s amazing. He’s a saxophone player who uses circular breathing to play these beautiful sustained arpeggio pieces. But also sing through the instrument. And sometimes use it percussively. He’s been around for years, so when his signature sound comes in right at the climax of Hereditary, my mind was pretty blown.

Here’s a good one:

https://youtu.be/KJHr2DlRog8

• Options
    Well I’m for sure going to become very familiar with it now, because that is incredible!

This discussion has been closed.