As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nice. His New History Warfare albums seem to be fan favourites, which I probably agree with. His work with Sarah Neufeld is also very good and maybe less listened to.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Adam Pally as Batman.

Go back to full camp.

Maybe not quite this fat though

88ymrdpnhxsd.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

I guess they're old enough to get one of these now?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Calling Roma an just expensive home movie is the most bone headed, bad faith, reductive, garbage take I’ve seen a while. At least that isn’t, you know, actively racist/sexist/etc.

God damn so many Oscar voters are complete geese.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    On that topic, Bo Burnham is the first person in a long time to not be nominated for an Oscar, yet win the Writer's Guild of America award for Best Original Screenplay and also First-Time Feature Film from the Director's Guild of America.

(His film, Eighth Grade, did not qualify for Oscar nominations because of some BS rule that your film has to screen in a certain number of theaters for a certain amount of time in certain cities in order to qualify.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

I guess they're old enough to get one of these now?

This has been in the works for a decade. The book its based on came out a while ago.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey how do you do circu- "Circular breathing is a technique used by players of some wind instruments to produce a continuous tone without interruption. It is accomplished by breathing in through the nose while simultaneously pushing air out through the mouth using air stored in the cheeks." oh shit that's cool ok thanks wikipedia

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Cancel the oscars forever

• Options
    hey how do you do circu- "Circular breathing is a technique used by players of some wind instruments to produce a continuous tone without interruption. It is accomplished by breathing in through the nose while simultaneously pushing air out through the mouth using air stored in the cheeks." oh shit that's cool ok thanks wikipedia

This still doesn’t make sense to me, because it takes a lot of air to play a bass sax, which Stetson often does. And he simultaneously sings through the instrument. It’s complete magic to me.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This still doesn’t make sense to me, because it takes a lot of air to play a bass sax, which Stetson often does. And he simultaneously sings through the instrument. It’s complete magic to me.

People who are skilled in circular breathing can get a ridiculous amount of air moving, like didgeridoo players.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Circular breathing is basically witchcraft

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Calling Roma an just expensive home movie is the most bone headed, bad faith, reductive, garbage take I’ve seen a while. At least that isn’t, you know, actively racist/sexist/etc.

I thought he had some pretty good points, otherwise

like he called out the fact that Bo Burnham wasn't nominated for director, he said he's not voting for Bao because Pixar made it as Oscar bait, he's mainly voting for Blackkklansman because Spike Lee has deserved a win for years and not getting nominated for Do the Right Thing was bullshit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think that's an unfair criticism of Bao given that Domee Shi started working on the story in 2014 and spent years working on it solo. Pixar as a company might have thrown weight behind it for cynical reasons but the artistic drive behind it was very real and personal.

Agree completely on the other stuff though.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I thought he had some pretty good points, otherwise

like he called out the fact that Bo Burnham wasn't nominated for director, he said he's not voting for Bao because Pixar made it as Oscar bait, he's mainly voting for Blackkklansman because Spike Lee has deserved a win for years and not getting nominated for Do the Right Thing was bullshit

I definitely agree about Bohemian Rhapsody, and can’t begrude anyone wanting Spike Lee to get his due, but that take on Roma is still baffling.

Like, people can’t tell personal stories? That’s indulgent? And even if you don’t like Roma, if you can’t understand what makes that more than just a home movie, I feel like you’re missing something really fundamental about movies. Like basic, 101, never seen a movie before kind of shit. I get that he’s being flippant and hyperbolic, but I feel like my skull is about to implode.

• Options
    yeah that's also a fair point!

• Options
    Thanks for going on this journey with me.

I’ve settled down now.

• Options
    I still think it's dumb that they don't have viewing all entries as a requirement for voting (like...come on, really?), and that this person specifically did not do that, but I appreciate that they seemed to give a shit about the whole endeavor

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Circular breathing shows there are people that can do so much at once they are like super human.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think that's an unfair criticism of Bao given that Domee Shi started working on the story in 2014 and spent years working on it solo. Pixar as a company might have thrown weight behind it for cynical reasons but the artistic drive behind it was very real and personal.

Agree completely on the other stuff though.

The animated shorts category was weird, in general, this year. All of the shorts except for the animal therapy one were focused on very similar themes (family/loss/bittersweet recollections) to the point where they all felt flat viewed together. It was certainly a "I guess that's what the Academy members are into this year" round of nominees.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Boy I wasn't super excited for it anyways but the way Jason Reitman is talking about his Ghostbusters movie is tanking what little interest I had.

He claims he is "not making the Juno of Ghostbusters movies" and that his film will "hand the movie back to the fans".

Which, regardless of whether you liked the 2016 Ghostbusters, is not a great way to talk about a franchise whose last film starred a bunch of women and those "fans" helped build up the dipshit machine that now boils over whenever any major film has a prominent female lead.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ah yes, pandering to grognards, a winning move if ever I saw one

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Boy I wasn't super excited for it anyways but the way Jason Reitman is talking about his Ghostbusters movie is tanking what little interest I had.

He claims he is "not making the Juno of Ghostbusters movies" and that his film will "hand the movie back to the fans".

Which, regardless of whether you liked the 2016 Ghostbusters, is not a great way to talk about a franchise whose last film starred a bunch of women and those "fans" helped build up the dipshit machine that now boils over whenever any major film has a prominent female lead.

Please don’t do this too often every dog in my immediate vicinity started barking

Transporter on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Goddamnit

There goes my interest in this Ghostbusters thing

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I never trust the fans as a group with big properties outside. Why would you? They are usually not the ones that made those properties successful.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was kind of leery when they had the first announcement and the tack they were taking. And yeah this just confirms it. "Don't worry we won't have girl cooties in this one."

I imagine they are already trying to fit some topless women in and keep the pg - 13 rating.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Ghostbusters should have never been a franchise honestly

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I was definitely interested in a new Ghostbusters, and even really interested in a direct sequel to the older movies

But I don't want this fuckin "Don't worry, fellas, we're making it FOR REAL" bullshit

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Ghostbusters should have never been a franchise honestly

Alternatively: Ghostbusters films should be about franchising.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I just largely think that 80s comedies based in cynicism don't really have a sustainable foundation for sequels.

Edit- at least in the mold they've tried with them as heroes as opposed to effectively schlubby exterminators who tripped into saving the world.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Chris Hemsworth will star as wrestling superstar Hulk Hogan in a biopic that reunites Todd Phillips with Scott Silver, the respective director and writer of the upcoming DC Comics movie, The Joker.

Deals for the Hogan project are in the midst of closing with Netflix. Producing will be Michael Sugar, the Academy Award winner behind Spotlight who will produce via his Netflix-based Sugar23, and Phillips and Bradley Cooper who will produce via their banner, Joint Effort. Also producing will be Hemsworth and Eric Bischoff.

• Options
    Never make a sequel of anything ever again.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Chris Hemsworth will star as wrestling superstar Hulk Hogan in a biopic that reunites Todd Phillips with Scott Silver, the respective director and writer of the upcoming DC Comics movie, The Joker.

Deals for the Hogan project are in the midst of closing with Netflix. Producing will be Michael Sugar, the Academy Award winner behind Spotlight who will produce via his Netflix-based Sugar23, and Phillips and Bradley Cooper who will produce via their banner, Joint Effort. Also producing will be Hemsworth and Eric Bischoff.

HEMSWORTH NO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just largely think that 80s comedies based in cynicism don't really have a sustainable foundation for sequels.

Edit- at least in the mold they've tried with them as heroes as opposed to effectively schlubby exterminators who tripped into saving the world.

There's plenty of cynicism to explore in the blue-collar work of the 21st century.

However it'd require casting Venkman as the greedy executive who is trying to collect franchise rights from our plucky, technically-contract-workers-so-they-don't-get-benefits protagonists, so I don't think it'd ever happen.

Even though it's a take on the character that I feel like Bill Murray would actually be down for exploring.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The ideal image of a saxophone player is the guy in Lost Boys.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    eric bischoff and chris hemsworth

together at last

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Stop making movies. There are enough movies. It's time to make something else.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am all in on Chris Hemsworth as Hulk Hogan

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

bad news, now they're making video games instead

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

bad news, now they're making video games instead

Videogames can have another ten years and then they should be phased out too.

This discussion has been closed.