As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jason Reitman said a real dumb thing with some seriously shitty implications, emboldening a bunch of the worst kind of men. But he’s also made a career out of telling great stories about women, and collaborating with women on those projects. I don’t know. He goofed, sees that he goofed, and I haven’t seen any other indication that he’s the kind of guy who would actually agree with or knowingly enable the kind of gross misogyny he did.

I’m not interested in the project, but I don’t have trouble believing he just said a dumb thing and didn’t realize how dumb it was.

Edit: I do think it would be worth it to acknowledge directly why what he said “came out wrong”. Call out the sexism directly.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Even if that was the case, he hasn't actually addressed how or why the thing he said was dumb. You don't get a pass on that if you can't even acknowledge the harmful thing you did.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I did an edit, but yeah, I fully agree with that.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah they're always talkin about how much blood they got, lordin it over us

eat the blood-rich

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah they're always talkin about how much blood they got, lordin it over us

eat the blood-rich

This just makes me think of Richard Chase

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Old Guard, a rad comic from Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez about a group of immortal mercenaries who stumble upon the first new immortal in centuries while on a job, is getting a Netflix adaptation directed by Gina-Prince Blythewood and just revealed Charlize Theron and KiKi Layne are playing the leads

Hell yeah I will watch that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Is this a good walk-back, I genuinely can't tell anymore

Overcorrected

Nobody is going to buy that the new Ghostbusters was an amazing movie

I will

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Alita had like three climax-epilogue cycles in the ended that felt weird, but overall I loved it! All the action scenes were awesome. Black Knight eat your heart out.

Alita was a lot like Aquaman for me in that I felt they were both pretty badly made movies that I still had a ton of fun with.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    i am watching mumford

mumford fucking rules
    more movies should end with
    the protagonist going to jail like in mumford imo

Rushmore should've 100% ended with the protagonist going to juvie for attempting to murder his teacher and also sexually assaulting his other teacher jesus christ max is an asshole. what were we talking about

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I thought Aquaman was way more coherent than Alita

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Aquaman had a couple of large plot points that didn't make sense to me, while Alita really didn't as far as I can recall.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I watched Happy Death Day and that movie is a whole lot of fun, I tell you what.

• Options
    Aquaman was pretty dang straightforward

Like it was big, dumb flashy and had hilariously in depth ~lore~ but the plot beats were all pretty readily explained

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The two things that didn't make sense to me in Aquaman:
    When Ocean Master revealed that he knew that Willem Dafoe was secretly helping Aquaman and Mera. Why did he choose to reveal that he knew at the time that he revealed it? He had followed Dafoe's advice through the entire movie right up until that moment, and there was no scene before it that indicated when he found out, so presumably he knew the whole time, but chose not to let Dafoe know that he knew until the third act climax for completely arbitrary reasons?

The whole deal with the Karathen and the trident. At first the Karathen is described as a terrible monster and enemy of the old King of Atlantis, but then later it's actually his ally/friend who guards the trident for some reason? Apparently the King thought nobody in Atlantis was responsible enough to wield the trident but doesn't give any reason in the film that I can recall as to why that is?

• Options
    When Ocean Master revealed that he knew that Willem Dafoe was secretly helping Aquaman and Mera. Why did he choose to reveal that he knew at the time that he revealed it? He had followed Dafoe's advice through the entire movie right up until that moment, and there was no scene before it that indicated when he found out, so presumably he knew the whole time, but chose not to let Dafoe know that he knew until the third act climax for completely arbitrary reasons?

The whole deal with the Karathen and the trident. At first the Karathen is described as a terrible monster and enemy of the old King of Atlantis, but then later it's actually his ally/friend who guards the trident for some reason? Apparently the King thought nobody in Atlantis was responsible enough to wield the trident but doesn't give any reason in the film that I can recall as to why that is?
    He called Dafoe out on it then because victory seemed assured

While Arthur and Mera still seemed like tangible threats it was worth keeping that in his back pocket but by then he didn't see the point. Because he is explicitly incredibly arrogant.

The King locked the trident away because its power, unchecked, literally sunk Atlantis as shown in the flashback. No one could be trusted to wield it so Atlan hid it with his trusted friend and over the thousands of years the Karathan turned into a beast of legend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

While Arthur and Mera still seemed like tangible threats it was worth keeping that in his back pocket but by then he didn't see the point. Because he is explicitly incredibly arrogant.

The King locked the trident away because its power, unchecked, literally sunk Atlantis as shown in the flashback. No one could be trusted to wield it so Atlan hid it with his trusted friend and over the thousands of years the Karathan turned into a beast of legend
    Why was keeping Willem Dafoe around beneficial to him? Why follow his advice at all if he knows that he's working with Aquaman and Mera?

If the trident is too powerful for anyone to wield, why set up an elaborate scavenger hunt to point someone to it?

• Options
    edited February 2019

Why was keeping Willem Dafoe around beneficial to him? Why follow his advice at all if he knows that he's working with Aquaman and Mera?

If the trident is too powerful for anyone to wield, why set up an elaborate scavenger hunt to point someone to it?

Because it’s a fun adventure movie and silly elaborate scavenger hunts are great

Veldrin on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    At that point I think you're really nitpicking

Like if you're saying that a dangeously powerful Artifact being hidden away only to be found by those worthy enough to follow clues and pass tests that lead them to it doesn't make any sense then

You're basically arguing that a gigantic chunk of heroic fiction over centuries makes no sense because that's a pretty well established plotline

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

dafoe’s skills are still worthwhile and of use to the kingdom, and/or allowing an enemy to believe their source on the inside is uncompromised has strategic value I’d say?

as to the second point that’s just like a kingly relic trope—as a dying king you always gotta account for the fact that someone truly worthy might come along for your accouterments or whatnot

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Warner scheduled Space Jam 2 for July 16 2021. Includes IMAX release

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    At that point I think you're really nitpicking

Like if you're saying that a dangeously powerful Artifact being hidden away only to be found by those worthy enough to follow clues and pass tests that lead them to it doesn't make any sense then

You're basically arguing that a gigantic chunk of heroic fiction over centuries makes no sense because that's a pretty well established plotline

Yeah, I’m afraid “quest to get the thing” is not going anywhere as an adventure plot.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Quest to get the thing rules.

Aquaman rules.

• Options
    I heard really good things about The Souvenir from Sundance, and now A24 is releasing it, which is always promising. It stars Tilda Swindon, her daughter Honor Swinton Byrne, and I dunno, some other people. It looks absolutely lovely.

https://youtu.be/t9Al2nC0vzY

• Options
    Hey, since I really enjoyed Happy Death Day I’m in the mood for more stuff kinda in that vein. Anyone got any recommendations?

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Blood Punch
    Southbound
    Baskin

The latter two are fairly to very violent

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    blood punch is literally the only movie you listed that has a tone remotely like happy death day's

it helps that is just an even dirtbagier horror movie groundhog day

to scratch a similar itch:

tragedy girls
    thoroughbreds
    the innkeepers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I heard really good things about The Souvenir from Sundance, and now A24 is releasing it, which is always promising. It stars Tilda Swindon, her daughter Honor Swinton Byrne, and I dunno, some other people. It looks absolutely lovely.

https://youtu.be/t9Al2nC0vzY

Ahhhh that music is excellent! That *looks* lovely.

I really just need to track down every A24 release and watch them all.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Oh yeah tone is not really what i based that on. Just a chain of similarities.

But definitely Blood Punch. it has a lot in common with Happy Death Day

• Options
    Yeah I’ve seen Blood Punch (and also the other two!) and I love that trashbag movie a whole lot.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    okay then find a way to watch the transfiguration next

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    how did I not know Can You Ever Forgive Me is “Be Gay, Do Crime: The Movie”

Man was it good as hell, Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant should probably win

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hey, since I really enjoyed Happy Death Day I’m in the mood for more stuff kinda in that vein. Anyone got any recommendations?

This may be too obvious a suggestion

But have you seen Final Destination?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    China has entered the cinematic space race. Wandering Earth, the country’s first blockbuster sci-fi film, is on track to be one of the highest-grossing films in China’s history.

The film has brought in more than 2bn yuan (£232m) in the six days since its release on 5 February, lunar new year. So far, it is the highest-grossing film released over the holiday season, a peak time for the Chinese box office.

Set in the distant future, the governments of Earth, confronted with annihilation from an unstable sun, have strapped thrusters on to the planet, ejecting it out into the universe in search of a new home. But as the Earth approaches Jupiter, a malfunction in the system puts it on course to crash into the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8LAwozrXPo

this looks really good

Netflix just acquired distribution rights to this, TBD when it'll be released on there but please please watch it when it is if you have the service

• Options
    edited February 2019
    okay then find a way to watch the transfiguration next

Doesn’t seem to be available here yet, but I’ll keep an eye out. I’ll check out Tragedy Girls tonight, since I haven’t seen that yet.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

This may be too obvious a suggestion

But have you seen Final Destination?

I’ve seen the first three. They were ok, but I think I just wasn’t feeling them.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That looks fucking sweet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Knob wrote: »
    I watched Polar. I liked it a lot.
    o

Polar has some really dumb scenes for no reason. Like, the woman beater? He rents a room to a woman-hater for ko reason? And the the gratuitously violent fat man kill scene? It makes no fucking sense, isn't funny in any way and makes the rest of the movie worse with its inclusion. It could've been a fine movie but it's terrible.

I'm sorry, I really wanted to like it but it felt like the director was trying to be "edgy" with tits and gore. I liked almost every scene mads was in but everything else was rough.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I should watch Mandy tonight.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

they should definitely make a new space jam every 25 years

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    How to train your dragon 3 more dragon.
    Enjoyable but disappointing in it doesnt really do anything with the set up left by the second movie

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Is this a good walk-back, I genuinely can't tell anymore

Overcorrected

Nobody is going to buy that the new Ghostbusters was an amazing movie

I wouldn't call it amazing, no. But I enjoyed it in cinemas, enough to buy it on BluRay when it came out and watch it again, and I still enjoyed it the second time. It's a good movie.

This discussion has been closed.