As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The result of this [love] thread is pointedly clear

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    @Uriel I know this is kind of oversimplifying things, but I think this video may be helpful for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3e6Pnstx-w

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    FANCY VALENTINE’S DINNER IS T-MINUS 10 MINUTES AND I AM STARTING TO GET BUTTERFLIES OVER HERE YOU GUYS.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ooh, butterflies for dinner does sound romantic

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Not particularly filling, though.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Ah shit never mind date is back on.

Feel like I'm gonna get a kidney stolen.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    That means it went really well

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Holy cow, what a special night.

I have a girlfriend, and she is the best. :D

• Options
    That means it went really well

But then I'd have less kidneys.

If anything I need more.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Alright. Date time I guess.

Sigh huff sigh

• Options
    Also the dinner was cheaper than I though it’d be, and soooooooo delicious. The Ruth’s Chris in Taipei has got things under control, guys.

Asparagus with hollandaise! Butter sautéed mushrooms! Best Robert Mondavi merlot I think I’ve ever had! Perfectly cooked steak! And we didn’t over eat!

Then we went to Swensen’s and had ice cream and a Coke float for dessert.

She said she had gotten me a small gift, but left it at home, so we’re having breakfast together this morning, too. :3

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Germans love asparagus so much that "asparagus season" is a big culinary event each year

My sister once told me about an exchange student who got the idea that Germans only eat asparagus during "asparagus season" and was super-concerned because he didn't like asparagus

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Germans love asparagus so much that "asparagus season" is a big culinary event each year

My sister once told me about an exchange student who got the idea that Germans only eat asparagus during "asparagus season" and was super-concerned because he didn't like asparagus

"What's the smell in the air, Ollie?"

"Germans must be nearby. It's asparagus season."

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Not particularly filling, though.

But birds and various insects/aracnids disagree

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    It’s easy and a defense mechanism to be self-deprecating; I know I definitely have a tendency to do myself down as a way to shield myself from outside criticism. The problem is, that the more you believe it yourself, the more other people believe it.

It took me way too long to learn the above in a work environment; I would be coy and modest about the work I had done, and all that happened was that my bosses would take me at my word and didn’t value the work I had done as a result, because I didn’t sell my work as having any value.

As a person who tends towards self-depreciation humor, I've learned that it is like salt. It can be good in small quantities as a seasoning for a nice meal, but you don't want it by itself or too much of it. Any negativity is like this, even if meant in jest.

• Options
    Alright date over I guess.

Huff sigh huff.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Huff sigh huff.

Well how'd it go?

• Options
    “Small gift” my patoot.

She bought me a bottle of Italian wine, and an adorable outdoor sautee pan thingy plus also paid for breakfast.

She’s the besssssssssst.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Huff sigh huff.

Well how'd it go?

Gotta be honest. I don't know?

There were the usually awkward silences and I got the impression she wanted to bail once or twice, which, yeah I cant blame her but I guess I made her laugh? I'm not good at making graceful exits so after I walked her back to her car I panicked and was like "let's catch up later?" And she said yes. But that's happened before and I've never heard back from them. I've got no real skin in the game either way I suppose.

I did momentarily forget I was on a date and yelled at a car in the middle of the street when they honked at us even though we had the cross walk sign the fuckin assbutts

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    No I don't know I think traffic yelling is perfectly acceptable

• Options
    Better to get it out of the way now incase this actually does go anywhere cause yeah

Imma lose my shit in or at traffic often.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Other people driving their cars in ways that interfere with my shit is basically the only time I yell at other people.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I don't yell at traffic, but I absolutely blow kisses to dickheads now and then which seems to rile them up more than it reasonably should

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't yell but I do curse other drivers at length. Fortunately, my wife finds it funny.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Y'all I think I'm falling for this girl

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I don't yell at traffic, but I absolutely blow kisses to dickheads now and then which seems to rile them up more than it reasonably should

I'm more of a polite smile, nod then give them the thumbs up kinda guy.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think a lady that works at a coffee shop I frequent thinks I'm cute or something, for some reason

I'm generally not super great at picking up cues, but she always insists on being the one to make my drink.
    Like, I've seen her take my order slip out of another employee's hand so she could make it instead, and she made it a point to like, introduce herself to me and I feel like she held my hand during the handshake

I am likely just reading too deeply into things, but I told her that she always puts just the right amount of cream (a little bit, just enough to make the coffee opaque) in my Red Eyes and I appreciated her attention to her craft and said "but you must get that a latte" and she actually laughed so who knows

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I find the below video useful in this situation. Also, if you were in a regular hangout type thing they would certainly be flirting, but in a service job if they were interested they need to be incredibly blunt about it. I wouldn't read into it until they ask to talk to you outside of a work setting, or share facebooks or whatever the kids are using these days.

https://youtu.be/nYpdhE1uG1Y

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    My wife doesn't make too big of a deal out of Valentine's, thankfully, but she does like to go out to dinner so we end up doing that most years. We both had to work last night though, so we decided we'd go out tonight instead. Made some dinner reservations, I took our kids to go visit their grandparents, stopped off at the fancy chocolate place on the way back to buy my wife's favorite truffles and everything was in order for a nice evening.

Then my wife called me to tell me there was an active shooter at a business nearby, straight down the road. Did you hear about the workplace shooting in Illinois today? Yeah, it was that one. My wife was running the ICU at the nearest hospital. The first she heard about it was when someone from the hospital rushed in and told her there was an active shooter and they needed to clear as many beds as possible in the ICU for an unknown number of incoming patients. The person notifying them was in such a rush that they ended up thinking the shooter was in the hospital with them. It took a couple of minutes to clear that up, apparently. After moving patients that were stable enough to leave the ICU and clear some beds my wife headed to the ER to help coordinate, since patients there would likely end up coming to her next. 6 people died in the shooting, including the gunman. 5 police officers were wounded. She said the worst part of the afternoon wasn't even when she thought there was a shooter in her building, it was down there by the ER. It was just chaos, and patients were sent to at least 4 area hospitals. And the worst part was the desperate, panicked family members trying to find out if their loved ones were in that hospital or somewhere else. The wife of one of the police officers, in particular, stood out.

My wife ended up staying at the hospital for hours beyond the end of her shift. We skipped our dinner out. She went to tae kwon do for a while so she could hit something. We had a fairly quiet dinner at home and I tried to help her vent. She talked about moving to another country, and that's not so outlandish given her medical background and having already uprooted from one country to another when she was a teenager. We might try to go out tomorrow night instead, but we'll see. She's working in the same ICU again tomorrow and being there is going to keep her anger and frustration burning. I'll just do my best to be an outlet for her as needed and take it from there.

This morning my wife called from work and told me to make a dinner reservation so we could have a nice night out tonight. A few hours later she called me back and told me that while she was in the bathroom someone had entered her office, ransacked her desk and stolen all of the cash in her wallet. This was in the ICU, which was locked down since shooting victims were still patients there, so it has to have been either someone she works with or a family member of an ICU patient. What. The. Fuck. Faith in humanity now at absolute rock bottom, she told me to cancel dinner plans.

When she got home I set her up with her fancy chocolates and a good book and made sure she relaxed for a while. After 90 minutes she asked if we had any wine we could open. The wine turned out to be very good. Dinner did as well. We watched Crazy Rich Asians and she enjoyed it. Good times were had. All in all it seemed like a successfully distracting evening and she was in a good mood when she went to sleep. Can't really ask for more than that.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    dinner success!
    i did attempt to pop out and buy a dutch oven, but given what we made, the pot we already had was well-suited. i'll keep my eye out for a cheap Le Creuset.

we made jägerschnitzel, with rotkraut, and some packaged spätzle that was not shaped like spätzle i've known and was unimpressive but not horrible.
    emptied a bottle of halbtrocken red that managed to survive the months in customs gauntlet (bottled an hour away from my sister's original village in Germany.)
    and i had a mini lemon tart to finish, with a blueberry one for later. if i'd had some decaf with it, i would've maximized the Deutschland, but i was still working on my wine. bonus round of some quark for breakfast or a snack soon.

we watched To All the Boys I've Loved Before and part of Scott Pilgrim, so a pretty good showing for Valentine tradition.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    dinner success!
    i did attempt to pop out and buy a dutch oven, but given what we made, the pot we already had was well-suited. i'll keep my eye out for a cheap Le Creuset.

we made jägerschnitzel, with rotkraut, and some packaged spätzle that was not shaped like spätzle i've known and was unimpressive but not horrible.
    emptied a bottle of halbtrocken red that managed to survive the months in customs gauntlet (bottled an hour away from my sister's original village in Germany.)
    and i had a mini lemon tart to finish, with a blueberry one for later. if i'd had some decaf with it, i would've maximized the Deutschland, but i was still working on my wine. bonus round of some quark for breakfast or a snack soon.

we watched To All the Boys I've Loved Before and part of Scott Pilgrim, so a pretty good showing for Valentine tradition.

Rotkraut is possibly the most horrifying name for a food outside of lutefisk that I've ever heard.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Right fuck this I'm going for waffles

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    pooka wrote: »
    dinner success!

Rotkraut is possibly the most horrifying name for a food outside of lutefisk that I've ever heard.
    it helps if you tend to parse rot-something immediately as German (long 'o'), and therefore "red-"

like, the English pronunciation hadn't even occurred to me. funny!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Right fuck this I'm going for waffles
    Breakfast food is always the right decision.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    When she got home I set her up with her fancy chocolates and a good book and made sure she relaxed for a while. After 90 minutes she asked if we had any wine we could open. The wine turned out to be very good. Dinner did as well. We watched Crazy Rich Asians and she enjoyed it. Good times were had. All in all it seemed like a successfully distracting evening and she was in a good mood when she went to sleep. Can't really ask for more than that.
    all the previous sounds like a really rough time, so i'm glad you guys were able to have respite and a nice evening!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Veldrin wrote: »

Stealing this.

Had breakfast and then played a boardgame at a cat cafe (it was wonderful and I’m gonna buy it), then went to one of these awesome personal movie spots where they give you a huge couch, nice sound system, and a projector TV, and it’s just you and your date and whatever food and beverages you want.

We watched the Avengers because they didn’t have Star Wars....

Edit: also I showed her the forums and she didn’t flee screaming, so I think she’s a keeper.

sarukun on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hi sarukun's lady friend! We've heard good things!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Y'all ever had a hangover?

Y'all... Ever sing nothing else matters at karaoke?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Phew man, been busy so I haven't been able to post so let me just do the summary of the last few days.

Thursday, had her come over for Valentines day. I get off work before her so I made vegetarian tacos with pickled red onions, guac, sweet potatoes and refried beans. (Not typically a romantic meal but she has said she loved tacos in the past). She brought over wine. We hung out, watched black panther and just had a very chill evening.

Friday she came over again with her dog (a one eyed chihuahua wiener dog) to spend the night. We all cuddled on the couch while she did taxes and I built a Pathfinder character.

Saturday we woke up early. Well, early for her, but usual for me, because she needed to do a walk in to get blood drawn at a clinic right by my place. So I helped her get up and ready and walked over with her. Blood Tech asked if she fasted, which she had. Asked me if I had fasted too as a joke and I told him "Yeah, doing a sympathy fast" (I didn't want to make her watch me eat while she couldn't). Which had him loudly declare to everyone waiting that I was a "real man" (which girl is going to poke fun at me forever for).

I went in with her to get her blood drawn to hold her hand because she is super nervous about needles, and the lady doing the blood drawing was like "Oh, so is he your fiance or husband?" and we laughed because we haven't even like, officially said we were boyfriend and girlfriend yet (because honestly the labels aren't a huge deal for us).

Then we drove for about an hour, she has a property she has inherited that she needs to fix up before she can sell so I went with her to help her change locks and stuff. We swung by her Dad's on the way to pick up some stuff. Dude just well... embodies the Dude from the Big Lebowksi, long hair, big beard (former SCA nerd), met me in his PJs while making bread in his oven. Super chill guy. And I guess girl texted him without thinking about it that she was on her way over with her boyfriend, so I guess we are officially that now.

Got the stuff done at the house, drove back to her place, took a nap, and then met up with her friend to go climbing at a new gym. It was nice but not as nice as the one I normally go to personally, but always neat to try something new. Then we grabbed Indian food as a group and we have made plans to go hiking next weekend and all do a 5k together 2 months from now.

That's it on my front. Though today I am meeting up with my best friend and his girlfriend at our usual climbing gym. I am super excited because he just started dating this girl recently but has known her for years and I am finally going to get to meet her (she lives out of state) and this is the first time I have seen my friend in my 20+ years of knowing him be THIS excited about a girl.

So yeah, lots of stuff, life is good. Busy but good. I'm really happy with my relationship right now. :)

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.